Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Parrotine posted:

I don't really see the difference they look between Snake Man and Bounce Man? If someone could point it out and make some comparisons I'd appreciate it! :f5:

I think it might be smaller/slimmer, slightly? It's hard to say for sure, though. It's meant to be way faster, so it's like a Gear 2nd version basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Parrotine posted:

I don't really see the difference they look between Snake Man and Bounce Man? If someone could point it out and make some comparisons I'd appreciate it! :f5:

It looks like Bounce Man moves faster/is bouncier, so Luffy is harder to hit and resists attacks better. He inflates his whole body, though, so he is constantly bouncing around whether he wants to or not, and can't just plant his feet for stronger punches, and if he gets hit he just gets knocked around.

Meanwhile, Snakeman puts all the effort and energy into his arms, making the punches faster and curve more. The rest of his body is still normal luffy, though, so only his arms get the gear 4 improvements.

At least, that's what it looks like from reading the chapter. Until we get exposition on it, its hard to say specifically.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
My impression is that Bounceman is Gear 3rd+, concentrating on strength and defense, while Snakeman is Gear 2nd+, concentrating on speed and evasion.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess he's just seeing himself dodge the first hit and stopping there?

This is pretty similar to part of the Enel/Eneru fight. He could predict all of Luffy's moves, so Luffy turned around and shot his fists at the wall until one randomly bounced into Enel. Ricochets seem intently harder to predict.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This is my kinda idea about this

For people complaining remember that it isn't some perfect prediction thing he's got going there, Luffy caught him in stuff he couldn't avoid before, more importantly the time frame he has to see the future is limited and Luffy seems to be changing his attacks on the fly with snakeman so the change in the punch happens at a point that Katakuri had already "predicted" like this maybe

Katakuri is 5 seconds ahead, Luffy throws a punch Katakuri dodges at second 2 and is still 5 seconds ahead so he is at 7 seconds, Luffy alters his punch direction at seconds 3 and 4 and smacks Katakuri in the face at second 5 anyway when Katakuri is observing second 10.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Chapter is good and I'm glad it was all Luffy vs. Katakuri.

Snakeman is cool.

Breaks are not.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pureauthor posted:

Come to think of it, the guy who can see the future should be the last person to be caught off guard by roboteching puncharms.

I'm pretty sure the idea is because luffy is so fast, katakuri perceives where he's gonna punch, ricochet and all, but then luffy changes direction before katakuri can get another glimpse/react.

This was a very soild chapter with great action and tons of sick panels, but i don't think it's actually the end of the battle...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The first Diced Mochi attack was loving brutal

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really like Luffy's attitude change in Snakeman form. Just constantly blurting out everything going through his head, it rules.

Also, Snakeman form is proportionally normal, but Luffy's loving huge now. Look at the size of his hat on his Snakeman body, his Straw Hat is underneath the Bege hat, remember.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I kind of wish all of Gear 4's forms were based off the body types of the Snake Sisters but I think they missed that opportunity.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Luffys finally achieved the hair of the legendary super saiyan and I couldn’t be prouder of him

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I kind of wish all of Gear 4's forms were based off the body types of the Snake Sisters but I think they missed that opportunity.

I was gonna say isn't that mandala he is using in that form or something similar? there was certainly someone else who could redirect an attack in motion no?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

I know we had other covers where non-SH were in it like they were crewmembers (Law being the most recent one I think) but the fact that Carrot is in there twice makes me hopeful she's gonna join.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

IceBorg posted:

I know we had other covers where non-SH were in it like they were crewmembers (Law being the most recent one I think) but the fact that Carrot is in there twice makes me hopeful she's gonna join.

shes not joining.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

AtomikKrab posted:

This is my kinda idea about this

For people complaining remember that it isn't some perfect prediction thing he's got going there, Luffy caught him in stuff he couldn't avoid before, more importantly the time frame he has to see the future is limited and Luffy seems to be changing his attacks on the fly with snakeman so the change in the punch happens at a point that Katakuri had already "predicted" like this maybe

Katakuri is 5 seconds ahead, Luffy throws a punch Katakuri dodges at second 2 and is still 5 seconds ahead so he is at 7 seconds, Luffy alters his punch direction at seconds 3 and 4 and smacks Katakuri in the face at second 5 anyway when Katakuri is observing second 10.

Ok bud

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

when I first read this chapter I thought it was cool. But now that I've reread it I realize this chapter was actually incredibly goddamn cool

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The fight is cool but I'm tired of the fight-only chapters

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's been a while since we just had an all out brawler chapter though. Usually it's split up by some stuff on the side. But this was uninterrupted balls to the wall action. And it looked amazing!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I remember people complaining on here that Dressrosa didn't have enough fight chapters in it. Lot of the meat of the fights were done off screen.

Edit: I'm saying this thread makes me enjoy One Piece less yet I cannot ever leave

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Edit: I'm saying this thread makes me enjoy One Piece less yet I cannot ever leave

SAreadme.txt

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its ok to like or not like something based on your personal preference. feel free to express or not express your sentiments in this, the thread for expressing your opinions on One Piece

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

IceBorg posted:

the non crew members aren't colored in but carrot is so she is kinda getting the same treatment as the strawhats here

I'd still be surprised if she joined but only a little

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I liked this chapter, but this fight has definitely overstayed its welcome. I will continue to naively hope that it will be over next issue.

Too bad next issue isn't next week :negative:

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I'm sure when you reread the entire arc it'll be fine guys

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really think it'll swap focus to somewhere else for 2-3 chapters

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if i had a whole arc to read, yeah i wouldnt be upset about a fight only chapter. its just when its week to week and the only story progression is that guys get punched more and then its a break it gets a little tedious

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
My main issue right now is that Luffy is still taking occasional hits even though he's at the "you can barely stand" point already. Oda isn't doing a very good job of conveying what Luffy's limit is supposed to be.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Silver2195 posted:

My main issue right now is that Luffy is still taking occasional hits even though he's at the "you can barely stand" point already. Oda isn't doing a very good job of conveying what Luffy's limit is supposed to be.

my problem is I am tired of seeing my main dude luffy get beaten up. I want him to eat meat and be happy.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah this is my only real gripe with the fight. His huge and brutal stomach wound has mysteriously regrown itself.

Other than that agree with above posters, this is near the peak of one piece one-on-ones. Absolute brutality, ugly and silly but effective and terrifying powerups, and loving donut-themed attacks. This is the poo poo

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i noticed that too and just assumed oda is trying to show luffys new peak durability because jesus christ hes getting a worse beatdown than impel down to marineford

also will stop these exact same questions being asked when luffy and kaido start their 9 chapter slugfest

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This whole fight has been about Luffy testing his endurance and breaking through his limits so he drat well better be taking a fuckton of damage

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a donut

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Man with Hat posted:

The fight taking for ever makes sense, since in world the fight is taking for ever and Luffy was very gradually learning to fight back.

While I definitely get your point and I'm glad some people are enjoying it, as someone who is incredibly bored and just kInda glossed over most of this chapter it is very hard to parse this as anything but "the recent chapters have been very boring for a reason!!"

I'm sure it'll be at least a little better on a reread but I didn't think Dressrosa was that much better and it didn't help that I could point out and vividly remember which chapters I was bored during.

That one dogtooth panel was very good

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So will Katakuri become an ally?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be interesting if big mom losing splintered her crew and katakuri ended up joining the strawhat armada

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Presumably he'd be joined by Pekoms, Pudding and Brulee along with at least Bege, Chiffon and the other Firetank Pirates. Whether they'd all join under one crew or separate crews I don't know.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

its ok to like or not like something based on your personal preference. feel free to express or not express your sentiments in this, the thread for expressing your opinions on One Piece
This is a really good attitude, but I'd like to make a personal request that we maybe not express your sentiments in the link to the chapter if you're the one linking it.

This is two weeks in a row the chapter was linked with the text "nothing happens," even though this time it was obviously wrong. It's lame to deflate the excitement of a One Piece chapter like that. If it's boring people can figure that out on their own.

1v1 shounen protagonist fights are not something I'm hugely interested in... but even I can see that this is a pretty fantastic one. Short of the fight ending, which would be lame at this point, I can't see what more was supposed to "happen" in this chapter. Stuff before it dragged, sure. Maybe we took too long to get here, but this chapter was really the meat of the fight.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

tsob posted:

My impression is that Bounceman is Gear 3rd+, concentrating on strength and defense, while Snakeman is Gear 2nd+, concentrating on speed and evasion.

I feel that Bounceman would be the Gear 4 form that focuses on strength because I'm guessing that the real Tankman form will focus on defence. Maybe Tankman is where he adds the Gigant to his Gear 4 attacks, like how he is adding Jet to his Gear 4 moves in Snakeman.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bisse posted:

Yeah this is my only real gripe with the fight. His huge and brutal stomach wound has mysteriously regrown itself.

A No-Prize answer just occurred to me: Luffy has been healing by inhaling small particles of mochi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Do you think there will be a chapter in the future where Luffy eats donuts with his good friend Dogtooth?