Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

my dude have you seen Friday Night Lights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint. Per channel ala carte for premium content has existed for decades with HBO, Showtime, and Starz and they are doing just fine.

The market will correct, but linear cable is dying on the vine regardless.

"dying on the vine" refers to something perishing in its early stages of life, i.e. it dies before it is "harvested" or fully comes to fruition. As a well established medium for many years, this does not apply to the death of cable tv

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Get Down and Girlboss come to mind. I think those might be it?

less laughter posted:

Gypsy, Girlboss, The Get Down

The Get Down had two seasons.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lycus posted:

The Get Down had two seasons.

Wasn't that also all shot together and split?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep. One season, split into two. Same as Disjointed, and the upcoming season of Kimmy Schmidt.

And The Ranch before someone comes in saying how The Ranch has had like four seasons or something

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I always had the idea that it was older. Not much older, I thought it started in 1986.

Kind of crazy that Craig Charles was only 24 when it started because he doesn't seem that young in those Red Dwarf I episodes.

Scousers age poorly.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Everything Sucks! is up and the first episode is strong, with a killer dick-kick of an ending.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah this show is SO aggressively 90s

e: oh no you weren’t kidding about that ending

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
It's so good so far. If you're sensitive to an overabundance of 90s references you'll be in hell, but I'm not; it's aggressively 90s, but it's also aggressively My poo poo.

Here's a thread I made for it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I think I just hurt my eyes from rolling them so hard when I watched the first 5 minutes of Everything Sucks. gently caress me this is NOT how you cash in on nostalgia. loving Kung Fury was more subtle than this.

Edit: Still a good show though!

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 16, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

X-O posted:

I've never been a Taylor Kitsch fan but Waco has completely turned me around. Just a phenomenal performance.

Between this and the Taylor Sheridan project 'Yellowstone' I hate that Paramount isn't on Vue.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Things I learned yesterday.

Stargate Origins - Really bad
Waco - Really good

I binged through the first 4 parts last night. So how many are there gonna be?

Also about Stargate Origins, I feel bad that Connor Trinneer finally got a real job but that job is on such a lovely show.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 16, 2018

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
According to IMDB and Wikipedia it's going to be 6 episodes. drat, I would have watched 10 episodes of this, it's really well done.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone watch Mosaic just as a show without the app? Does it work?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Given where they are now there's not a whole lot left to cover. Also I guess it depends how in depth they want to get with just how bad the FBI hosed up, like the charred corpses of children grotesquely disfigured by the effects of cyanide gas which is what the propellant for the shittorrent of CS gas they pumped into the building turned into when burned OOPS.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

IRQ posted:

Given where they are now there's not a whole lot left to cover. Also I guess it depends how in depth they want to get with just how bad the FBI hosed up, like the charred corpses of children grotesquely disfigured by the effects of cyanide gas which is what the propellant for the shittorrent of CS gas they pumped into the building turned into when burned OOPS.

I was just thinking that. If Paramount wants to be ambitious they could get the directorial/production company to do a sequel detailing the subsequent trial and what a shitshow that was.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeffrey Tambor has been fired from Transparent, and his response feels pretty tone-deaf:

quote:

“I am profoundly disappointed in Amazon’s handling of these false accusations against me. I am even more disappointed in Jill Soloway’s unfair characterization of me as someone who would ever cause harm to any of my fellow cast mates.

In our four-year history of working together on this incredible show, these accusations have NEVER been revealed or discussed directly with me or anyone at Amazon. Therefore, I can only surmise that the investigation against me was deeply flawed and biased toward the toxic politicized atmosphere that afflicted our set.”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...is there even a show without Tambor?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Now it's a show about Jeffrey Tambor where he's played by a trans actor.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There are a bunch of ways the show could move on. Have his character die and have it be about the emotional fallout of their death. Have the mother or another character transition, if they want to keep the title/subject matter consistent. Recast the character, maybe even with an actual trans actor this time.

Any of the above would require a deft hand, but that's true of any significant change to ongoing media. There are very few projects whose concept hinges on a certain actor being a part of the project. Heck, a Breaking Bad where Walt died of cancer in season three or four could be fascinating.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 16, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I’m excited if they pull it off because I’ve worked on a few shows where the #1 knows they’re invincible and runs roughshod over the crew because of it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The first two ways probably seem like the way to go, simply because I'm not really familiar with any elderly trans actresses and aging the character down suddenly might be a little jarring. Like, keep in mind that Tambor is 73 and doesn't really play younger on the show (IIRC).

e: yeah, I just googled around to see if there's anybody, and I found an article about 6 trans actresses who could replace Tambor... all of whom are complete unknowns, and one of whom literally doesn't even seem to be acting anymore (instead working as a filmmaking teacher in the UK). finding a replacement for his character might genuinely be a pretty loving tall ask.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 16, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lelandjs posted:

Heck, a Breaking Bad where Walt died of cancer in season three or four could be fascinating.
Better than what we got

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo yeah Mozart in the Jungle is back!! Who’s the one goon who watches this aside from me? X-O?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh poo poo yeah Mozart in the Jungle is back!! Who’s the one goon who watches this aside from me? X-O?

I watched like a season and a half and like... it was ok. Perfectly pleasant. But there was something kind of off about it that I couldn't place. Like I could never figure out if it was a comedy or a drama or what exactly I was supposed to be watching for or something. I don't know.

Maybe it speaks to a specific artistic experience that I just don't connect with? Like if i was watching a show about journalism or football and people with experience in those fields were sitting there saying "that's EXACTLY what it was like!"? I really couldn't figure out what I didn't like about it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love Mozart In the Jungle. I

STAC Goat posted:

I watched like a season and a half and like... it was ok. Perfectly pleasant. But there was something kind of off about it that I couldn't place. Like I could never figure out if it was a comedy or a drama or what exactly I was supposed to be watching for or something. I don't know.

It's both! It's similar to Netflix's GLOW, Atypical, ect. in that it's descended from that brand of Showtime half hour "women in crisis" shows that were more funny, yeah, but also more grounded and emotionally driven than a lot of other contemporary shows. Sometimes they'd get pretty dramatic, but they tended to be light, easy watching.

Maisel's another recent example of that kind of show.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Finally watched One Day at a Time. gently caress me that is a great show, how did I miss season 1 last year?

Edit: Also that hospital scene in s2 was stellar.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 17, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, I get that shows can be both. I watch and enjoy plenty that are. But with Mozart neither ever really seemed to be enough. Like neither the comedy nor the drama were carrying it for me.

I don't know, it was just a weird case where I didn't dislike the show but eventually I kind of just realized I didn't really like it either. So one day I decided to watch something else instead of the next episode... and the next day something else... and then one day I remembered I never finished that season of Mozart in the Jungle where... a bunch of musicians were having mild dramatic events in what seemed like an overly satisfying life? Good for them I guess but I didn't feel compelled to go back to see what happens.

Its perfectly pleasant though so I'm not saying anyone shouldn't try it. Maybe you'll get more out of it than I did.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

After two grueling years I got one of my best friends to get into Bojack Horseman, my life is complete.

quote:

Am I a good person?
Please
Tell Me
Diane

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow and they’re not even onto the good episodes yet

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow and they’re not even onto the good episodes yet

I know right??? :swoon:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Heck, a Breaking Bad where Walt died of cancer in season three or four could be fascinating.

Fascinating as in 'how the gently caress is this going to be watchable?' maybe. Cranston carried that show on his back, which is why Better Call Saul is at its worst when it tries to be Breaking Bad without Walt instead of the Jimmy show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season of Mozart in the Jungle has a subplot about an AI conductor and Rogrido’s ghost Mozart muse being temporarily replaced by Liberace. It’s a lot of fun

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Fascinating as in 'how the gently caress is this going to be watchable?' maybe. Cranston carried that show on his back, which is why Better Call Saul is at its worst when it tries to be Breaking Bad without Walt instead of the Jimmy show.

Mike is not a character that work with a lot of exposure, I wish the showrunners would start getting that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

This season of Mozart in the Jungle has a subplot about an AI conductor and Rogrido’s ghost Mozart muse being temporarily replaced by Liberace. It’s a lot of fun

Haha, that sounds amazing. I doubt anything will top the season with Monica Belluci though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

MGM has always bungled their handling of the series but the writing is on the wall for everyone to try their own streaming service in the next few years.

MGM barely exist as a studio. How the gently caress are they gonna run a streaming service?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My local affiliate of the CW just cut in to the season finale of Crazy Ex Girlfriend to make me watch Trump and Florida cops jerk each other off about what a great job they're all doing

It's just disgusting

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Mike is not a character that work with a lot of exposure, I wish the showrunners would start getting that.

"You know what would make this mysterious old badass a million times better? Waiting until he's even older and stripping away every bit of mystery."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Can confirm it's really bad.

Has there been any non-bad Stargate since Atlantis?

feedmyleg posted:

When is some hero company going to come along and bundle all of these television services together into one package that I can pay $80/month for??

I remember 5-6 years back when people here were all wild about the prospect of a la carte video services and insisted that there was no way it would be disastrous for the consumer and wind up costing more. Good times.
The future seems to be in streaming TV services, although lord knows none of them can seem to get their poo poo together re: an interface that's not total dogshit and/or crashes every 5 minutes. I am using the Youtube TV trial right now to get access to Olympics streaming though, and although it's got some annoying navigation quirks, its interface is actually pretty decent and even has a good Android TV app.

I don't think I'm going to keep it though, because even though it's the only service in my area that actually has all my local channels, it's just reminding me once again that I don't really care that much about 90% of the channels anymore and I can stand to wait until the next day to watch my favorite shows. I can spend that $35 on better things.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just watched Legion ep 6 and Aubrey Plaza is both an amazing actress and the hottest woman on the planet, god drat :stare: