Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Darkrenown posted:

I also think Encounter is worth keeping on, Assault can gently caress right off though.
Same. I like Encounter well enough for the most part. Some of the base locations need work though. Looking at you, Mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Cardiac posted:

Encounter is kinda good in the sense that you immediately see which part of your teams are morons, especially on Lakeville.
I would pay WG good money for implementing a traffic sign "Retards go here" with direction pointing towards the valley.

The valley on Lakeville can be a half decent place if there are no arty, you have a turret made of pure bullshit, great gun depression and it is a regular game. But most of the time yes it is pointless and can be defended from elsewhere.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RanKizama posted:

Same. I like Encounter well enough for the most part. Some of the base locations need work though. Looking at you, Mines.

Mines is a standout for being so flagrantly lopsided. They took the south spawn, already the much weaker side in normal mode, and made their spawns split and further from the good parts of the map, and they moved the north spawns closer to the center! Ruinberg is also a complete clusterfuck for south unless there are complete morons on north or some high level players in top tier tanks on south. If not for those I could consider keeping Encounter enabled, but the other maps are just the same as their normal counterparts with the added bonus of the shittiest pubbies being unable to comprehend that it's a different game mode, which is just frustrating.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The valley on Lakeville can be a half decent place if there are no arty, you have a turret made of pure bullshit, great gun depression and it is a regular game. But most of the time yes it is pointless and can be defended from elsewhere.

In those situations you are universally better off waiting for the enemy to commit through the valley while waiting in H4/C4, because then you draw them into a crossfire from your teammates in B8/K8 while also allowing yourself to contribute to the battle by playing the middle. If you go valley and there's literally no opposition to you, that's a complete disaster - you can't push through without dying horribly on the enemy cap circles and turning around and going back basically takes you out of the fight in the crucial first four minutes.

e: I wish Wargaming would bother trying to test new poo poo at a speed faster than glacial. I'd be interested to see how Lakeville works out if the valley isn't swamp, and is instead paved, so you're not entirely crippled trying to go through it.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 15, 2018

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Darkrenown posted:

I also think Encounter is worth keeping on, Assault can gently caress right off though.

Totally agree. But like Hellsau said, Mines is kinda hosed.

Lakeville is a great encounter map when your team actually listens, city turns into a meat grinder with mediums and lights raining down pain from the mid while the heavies and armored td's duke it out.

I know it is being beaten to death, but the T54-Mod is a super comfy tank. Like it is not fantastic in any one area but it does great all around.

Pen is good but not great, mobility is better than most heavies but worse than most mediums, gun hits for a decent amount with a good rate of fire, armor is trolly and finally it has decent depression. I've not had a real standout game in it yet, but I know it can carry.

New T9 Russian heavy is pretty great. People have seemingly figured out how to pen it, so you can't go full ham in it like when it was first released. Also playing this and grinding XP in my IS-8 reminds me how fantastic the IS-8 is.

Even though my Obj 430 II is not upgraded in the least bit, it is still a fun tank. Can't wait to actually upgrade it.

On the flip side, gently caress the T8 Japanese and French heavies. AMX 65t is a pile of dog poo poo and the O-Ho is like a fat guy that can't see his own dick.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Mines is a standout for being so flagrantly lopsided. They took the south spawn, already the much weaker side in normal mode, and made their spawns split and further from the good parts of the map, and they moved the north spawns closer to the center! Ruinberg is also a complete clusterfuck for south unless there are complete morons on north or some high level players in top tier tanks on south. If not for those I could consider keeping Encounter enabled, but the other maps are just the same as their normal counterparts with the added bonus of the shittiest pubbies being unable to comprehend that it's a different game mode, which is just frustrating.

In those situations you are universally better off waiting for the enemy to commit through the valley while waiting in H4/C4, because then you draw them into a crossfire from your teammates in B8/K8 while also allowing yourself to contribute to the battle by playing the middle. If you go valley and there's literally no opposition to you, that's a complete disaster - you can't push through without dying horribly on the enemy cap circles and turning around and going back basically takes you out of the fight in the crucial first four minutes.

e: I wish Wargaming would bother trying to test new poo poo at a speed faster than glacial. I'd be interested to see how Lakeville works out if the valley isn't swamp, and is instead paved, so you're not entirely crippled trying to go through it.

I think that is the biggest problem really. There is no indication to pubbies that there are different ground types and the vehicles react differently to it. There is also no clear visual indication on what ground type you are currently driving on. So most most likely think it is just normal ground and not swamp. Visually from the map, it is the shortest route, however without other cues, you are unaware that it is also the slowest route. The swamp ground slowing your tank down, a hill which provides visual break (and slowing you down more) along with a narrow pass. All taht says lose, but the swamp terrain isn't clear to the normal pubbies.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

I think that is the biggest problem really. There is no indication to pubbies that there are different ground types and the vehicles react differently to it. There is also no clear visual indication on what ground type you are currently driving on. So most most likely think it is just normal ground and not swamp. Visually from the map, it is the shortest route, however without other cues, you are unaware that it is also the slowest route. The swamp ground slowing your tank down, a hill which provides visual break (and slowing you down more) along with a narrow pass. All taht says lose, but the swamp terrain isn't clear to the normal pubbies.

at some point we have to accept that half the player base isn't sentient, never mind sapient

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

JuffoWup posted:

Wait the valley is swamp? Huh.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mesadoram posted:

On the flip side, gently caress the T8 Japanese and French heavies. AMX 65t is a pile of dog poo poo and the O-Ho is like a fat guy that can't see his own dick.

HOW DARE YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Duzzy Funlop posted:

HOW DARE YOU

The two titties tumors on the front of the O-Ho are by far one of the worst things I've experienced in this game besides the pubbies.

Also: :bigtran:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Hellsau posted:

I get extremely mad when pubbies in fast mediums / lights don't go for the hill and instead go out to the islands. Nothing causes instant losses on mines like having the enemy on the hill with no opposition.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

HFX posted:

I get extremely mad when pubbies in fast mediums / lights don't go for the hill and instead go out to the islands. Nothing causes instant losses on mines like having the enemy on the hill with no opposition.

Seriously. They just don't understand how important the hill is.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mesadoram posted:

Mines is won or lost on the hill 99.8% of the time and it's probably the biggest issue with that map. If one team has more fast tanks than another then it's almost already pre-determined who's gonna win.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
HD mines should help somewhat. Entrance is wider and more central, top of the hill is pretty much completely flat since it's now a castle courtyard, soft cover by hard cover is gone. Much easier to shoot people up there from what I saw

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

O-Ho is like a fat guy that can't see his own dick.

I highly resent being compared to Japanese heavies.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Azhais posted:

HD mines should help somewhat. Entrance is wider and more central, top of the hill is pretty much completely flat since it's now a castle courtyard, soft cover by hard cover is gone. Much easier to shoot people up there from what I saw
I had completely forgotten this was happening. This is good news.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mesadoram posted:

This is why I loving hate Mines as a map in general. That one position just holds way too much influence over the rest of the map.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

subhelios posted:

I highly resent being compared to Japanese heavies.

What a shame.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

This is why I loving hate Mines as a map in general. That one position just holds way too much influence over the rest of the map.

Yeah, you Can win with out the hill it's just really really difficult.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mines is fine up to tier 6 and then it needs to be like Widepark and stuck for tiers below that. There is no way you should have tier 9 and 10 tanks fighting on Mines.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

And Swamp should be relegated to not being in the loving game.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

And Swamp should be relegated to not being in the loving game.

This but Kharkov and Paris.

The changes they showed for Khakov, making it more open and less shitfilled grid were promising but they don't seem to have happened.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't hate swamp that much since they flipped it around a few years ago.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The little bit I played on the test server I've been fairly happy with the HD changes.

Fisherman's bay's city isn't nearly as dominated from mid anymore, and the 1-2 line is flatter.
Fjords is pretty much the same layout as it was, but you can't snipe mid from the eastern peninsula anymore (more buildings/taller buildings) and the mid lake was replaced with an actual hill control point and the southern side of the north eastern mountain has roads with soft cover on it, was interesting.
Erlenberg is pretty much unrecognizable, it's mostly going to be about controlling the city around the river (which is much larger) while you get to see which team is able to flank through the nearly entirely wide open outer plains (and I think it's going to be a sniper hellfest).
Paris is mostly unchanged.
I didn't see any changes to either of the grand battle maps.
Ensk was mostly the same, but I felt like the east side was hillier and the 1-2 boulevard is gorgeous

Those are the only ones I recall playing on in my brief moment of effort.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

BadLlama posted:

I don't hate swamp that much since they flipped it around a few years ago.

Swamp has a serious issue though that if the north pushes up against the souths overlook of the middle with fast heavies / mediums, they effectively win the map. It becomes too hard for the south to break out, and the south has to try to fight multiple angles popping up.

serious gaylord posted:

Mines is fine up to tier 6 and then it needs to be like Widepark and stuck for tiers below that. There is no way you should have tier 9 and 10 tanks fighting on Mines.

Mines isn't even fine then. The faster team who knows the value of the hill can almost always win by taking the hill. Made worse by seal clubbers. What mines needs is multiple ways up and more areas around the map that are useful.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2018

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

And Prok, Malinovka should be relegated to not being in the loving game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HFX posted:

Mines isn't even fine then. The faster team who knows the value of the hill can almost always win by taking the hill. Made worse by seal clubbers. What mines needs is multiple ways up and more areas around the map that are useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRLBLxfVnCc

Dez has a mines preview

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think people are putting up some pretty silly games in the Mod 1 these days. I had a 2400damage/3300 assist/4 frag/1300xp game that was a first class, I was pretty shocked.

Of all the bad maps in the game I think Swamp is actually pretty good. It at least feels a bit dynamic in the sense that it can be played a few different ways and there are opportunities for all tank types to perform their role. I do agree that the North rushing the central ridge can tend to lead to some lopsided victories but that isn't an insta-win and can be countered. 0-line tanks can get easy shots on them if they're not careful. It's usually only an insta-win if the South TDs are stupid and get spotted and don't move and all die.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Barry posted:

I think people are putting up some pretty silly games in the Mod 1 these days. I had a 2400damage/3300 assist/4 frag/1300xp game that was a first class, I was pretty shocked.

Of all the bad maps in the game I think Swamp is actually pretty good. It at least feels a bit dynamic in the sense that it can be played a few different ways and there are opportunities for all tank types to perform their role. I do agree that the North rushing the central ridge can tend to lead to some lopsided victories but that isn't an insta-win and can be countered. 0-line tanks can get easy shots on them if they're not careful. It's usually only an insta-win if the South TDs are stupid and get spotted and don't move and all die.

The 0 line can be shot by tanks either going up to the Northeast corner and / or people working that ridges area between the north ridge and northeast corner. As to TDs being stupid, how many teammates can you count on per game? 2 maybe 3?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

HFX posted:

Swamp has a serious issue though that if the north pushes up against the souths overlook of the middle with fast heavies / mediums, they effectively win the map. It becomes too hard for the south to break out, and the south has to try to fight multiple angles popping up.

Swamp is a total shitshow due to this and is basically completely broken against a good team doing this.

HFX posted:

The interesting thing about mines is that it has stayed mostly unchanged since I started playing, whereas maps like Komarin have gone through massive iterations and then been removed.
It is like WG doesn’t know what they are doing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

HFX posted:

The 0 line can be shot by tanks either going up to the Northeast corner and / or people working that ridges area between the north ridge and northeast corner. As to TDs being stupid, how many teammates can you count on per game? 2 maybe 3?

Yeah, but if there are multiple North tanks on the ridge, then there might not actually be any North tanks in the NE corner. Hoping your team can recognize the situation and act accordingly is going to happen one time out of ten but there are some counters to it.

e: Also you can get hulldown on the SE corner of the mountain at H5 as a decent counter.

That being said, if I'm North spawn in at least a semi-appropriate tank, I'm going to that ridge 100% of the time.

Barry fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 15, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Barry posted:

Yeah, but if there are multiple North tanks on the ridge, then there might not actually be any North tanks in the NE corner. Hoping your team can recognize the situation and act accordingly is going to happen one time out of ten but there are some counters to it.

e: Also you can get hulldown on the SE corner of the mountain at H5 as a decent counter.

That being said, if I'm North spawn in at least a semi-appropriate tank, I'm going to that ridge 100% of the time.

The key to winning Swamp if you are on south spawn and the enemy pushes the middle right at the start is to have 2 very good team mates, very stupid enemies and to just try and not be poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amTgxyDFksQ

That was a 1st class game too lol.

Shoutout to the Cent player.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cardiac posted:

The interesting thing about mines is that it has stayed mostly unchanged since I started playing, whereas maps like Komarin have gone through massive iterations and then been removed.
It is like WG doesn’t know what they are doing.

That's not actually true. Mines used to be effectively a totally different map (Hills?) but even if you don't count that, around 2015 they changed Mines pretty substantially in a few different ways, all of which inexplicably benefited the north spawn. It was kind of insane.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

That's not actually true. Mines used to be effectively a totally different map (Hills?)

it had a loving radar and poo poo

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

subhelios posted:

Wait the valley is swamp? Huh.
Reported for trolling.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Camoflage Net and Binoculars are exceptionally powerful for a playstyle that sucks and is bad. Sitting around and waiting tends to lose games and also be boring.
:hai:

If you're not constantly moving forward, why even bother playing this game?

Also, all maps are terrible. Every single one.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Cartoon posted:

Reported for trolling.

I hadn't gone into the valley in years, how the hell am I supposed to remember something like that?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Encounter is kinda good in the sense that you immediately see which part of your teams are morons, especially on Lakeville.
I would pay WG good money for implementing a traffic sign "Retards go here" with direction pointing towards the valley.

I don't think I've ever had a match on Lakeville that didn't start with everyone pinging the valley, then 3/4s of the team charging through it and getting blown up. Lost in <4 min.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

That's not actually true. Mines used to be effectively a totally different map (Hills?) but even if you don't count that, around 2015 they changed Mines pretty substantially in a few different ways, all of which inexplicably benefited the north spawn. It was kind of insane.

Oh, I had apparently repressed that memory. There I have been so many lovely maps that it gets hard to remember every version of them.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

haven't used my Pak 40 since they killed Province

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Hellsau posted:

Mines used to be effectively a totally different map (Hills?)

Pagorki is the name you're looking for. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I don't think I've ever had a match on Lakeville that didn't start with everyone pinging the valley, then 3/4s of the team charging through it and getting blown up. Lost in <4 min.

Two platooning 46% shitters pinging the valley in Lakeville encounter for the whole 30 second start is as wot as it gets.