Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if fatshark is nice enough to let me test the game out early and provide feedback then i can at least be nice enough to abide by the really simple thing they request of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gort posted:

Why are people respecting this NDA? What are you thinking will happen?

a basic sense of mutual respect

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Nanomashoes posted:

Official ranking:
1)Victor
2)Kruber
3)Sienna
4)Franz Lohner
5)Olysia
6)Cousin Okri (<----not real)
7)Bardin
8)the rats

x)the hated elf

I see you clumsy lumberfoots are still jealous of Kerillian being the real hero of the story. I can see why, but this jealousy does you no good in the long run.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I will admit that none of the other team members can rival her olympic-class whining.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

I will admit that none of the other team members can rival her olympic-class whining.

The hero we deserve.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't think it's breaking NDA to say that I really like the colours in this game.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Mordja posted:

I don't think it's breaking NDA to say that I really like the colours in this game.

Agreed, the aesthetic changes are great. Things feel more vibrant and everything pops in a way that contrasts nicely compared to the first game. Very excited to see what more fantastical sights will be on offer.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the nda says don't say anything about the things you see in the game, but it doesn't say anything about the things you taste or smell!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Yardbomb posted:

Also would anyone happen to know the setting I need to tweak to fix the "Metal and shiny gore still appearing bright as hell in dark areas" thing? That's been the only visual jank I've run into in 2.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I kept trying to pick up a bucket because it looked like it had an outline and I'm a bit thick.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I like that the elf no longer looks like a rat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mendrian posted:

I like that the elf no longer looks like a rat.

hosed up if true. Now i have less of an excuse to "accidentally" shoot her

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Vermintide 2 owns and I'm glad the chaos enemies turned out to be cool as hell like I thought they'd be, hearing the warhorns blowing in the forest and then seeing them roll in is awesome.

ooohhhh my god its a GWAR CONCERT!!! GET BEHIND MY SHIELD NOW

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
tbh I can really understand the NDA fuss, sorta, kinda. This is my first "closed beta" of a thing, and its been an interesting glimpse from the outside into the late stages of the game dev process. They're proud of their game and how far its come since the first, and there's a very clear list of assets that can be worked on independently and brought in quickly before release and doing so on short notice probably won't break anything. Probably. And the core mechanics are solid enough that I'd at least be streaming the hell out of this RIGHT NOW and to hell with the things i gotta do today. But if they let any old punter stream the beta as-is giving people who watch it with no context, the idea that the release game is gonna be like the placeholder assets... yeah. Yeah I understand why they'd politely ask folk to not do that. That's a reasonable ask.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So what is the upgrade/differences between Vermintide 1 and Vermintide 2 again?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
It's better in every way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's definitely a reason why they're giving a couple more weeks before opening it up fully to media attention. not to imply there's a fuckton of bugs or things going wrong, it's just that you can feel they're trying to get the balance of stuff down and polish up some things.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BexGu posted:

So what is the upgrade/differences between Vermintide 1 and Vermintide 2 again?

I can only post stuff that's been said elsewhere but the blithe answer is 'virtually everything.'

* Three variants of each character generally focusing on melee/ranged/hybrid model for each one.
* Talents, Passive Skills and Active Skills that help differentiate characters. Progression system as you level.
* Loot remains random but is tied to difficulty instead of just being good/better/best. Play on Hard if you want Hard-tier loot.
* Way more enemies. In edition to all of your VT1 favorites, a whole new collection of Chaos enemies, more bosses, and more specials.

Lots of other little QoL things but those are the big differences

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The melee combat in 1 was pretty great

I hope its better in 2

Also is the collectors edition worth it at all?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Banano posted:

It's better in every way

Yes. Fatshark learned a SHITLOAD from VT1's launch.

Statutory Ape posted:

The melee combat in 1 was pretty great

I hope its better in 2

Speaking as one of the chief worrywarts about the direction of the sequel: I can't play the first game anymore. Just port the levels into the sequel L4D style, make it dlc if you need to justify the labor cost; i ain't going back.

quote:

Also is the collectors edition worth it at all?

It comes down to two things:

--Do you have to think about it when faced with the prospect of wasting 20 bux on bideogame? (i do fwiw)
--Do you care about how your character looks? (i dont fwiw)

so thats how i made my choice, ymmv.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Awesome thank you. The only reason i would ever care about CE was if it included future DLC or something. Idgaf about cosmetics in a first person game

Thanks again. Ill grab this right now

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Willie Tomg posted:

Speaking as one of the chief worrywarts about the direction of the sequel: I can't play the first game anymore. Just port the levels into the sequel L4D style, make it dlc if you need to justify the labor cost; i ain't going back.

I was thinking the very same thing when playing yesternight, old maps in the new game would own.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I wanted to buy this anyway just to support the devs tbh. They did a really good job on the first game and I had never even heard of it until a few months ago and definitely dont care about warhammer

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
What engine is it on again? It looks very unrealish to me, but i don’t remember seeing a logo anywhere and that is usually plastered all over UE4 games

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Banano posted:

What engine is it on again? It looks very unrealish to me, but i don’t remember seeing a logo anywhere and that is usually plastered all over UE4 games

It's their in-house engine.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Its actually running on a highly modified q1 engine, impressive, i know

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Did y'all play Lead and Gold? That was pretty neat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I can only post stuff that's been said elsewhere but the blithe answer is 'virtually everything.'

* Three variants of each character generally focusing on melee/ranged/hybrid model for each one.
* Talents, Passive Skills and Active Skills that help differentiate characters. Progression system as you level.
* Loot remains random but is tied to difficulty instead of just being good/better/best. Play on Hard if you want Hard-tier loot.
* Way more enemies. In edition to all of your VT1 favorites, a whole new collection of Chaos enemies, more bosses, and more specials.

Lots of other little QoL things but those are the big differences
One thing I thought was interesting is that Sienna is now definitely the most "ranged' character: Her three variants appear to be AoE ranged, single-target ranged, and melee. Only Victor actually seems to have the ranged/hybrid/melee split. Bardin gets ranged, shield, dual weapons, Kruber gets shield, ranged, polearm, and Kerillian gets ranged, dual weapons, polearm. Its possible that that's just their main weapons and each of those have a ranged weapon that varies in strength (I'm pretty sure Shades Kerillian has a repeater crossbow based on early videos) but I don't know how it works for everyone else, or whether what I'm seeing as "polearm" classes are actually just the hybrid ones and they're just not showing that aspect off yet.

I'm not in the beta so I can't comment if that's actually true, I'm just going off the website.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

One thing I thought was interesting is that Sienna is now definitely the most "ranged' character: Her three variants appear to be AoE ranged, single-target ranged, and melee. Only Victor actually seems to have the ranged/hybrid/melee split. Bardin gets ranged, shield, dual weapons, Kruber gets shield, ranged, polearm, and Kerillian gets ranged, dual weapons, polearm. Its possible that that's just their main weapons and each of those have a ranged weapon that varies in strength (I'm pretty sure Shades Kerillian has a repeater crossbow based on early videos) but I don't know how it works for everyone else, or whether what I'm seeing as "polearm" classes are actually just the hybrid ones and they're just not showing that aspect off yet.

I'm not in the beta so I can't comment if that's actually true, I'm just going off the website.

I think Kerillian has ranged no matter what, it's just the Waywatcher is specialized for it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhh...... ssssorta? As a BW main in VT1 most of BW is learning when to not use your ranged, which is most of the time. Vermintide 1 is real bad about communicating this very important thing to you (WH and elf also had this problem).

Here's 3 hours of a funny englishman talking about "Play Conditioning" vis a vis Bloodborne relative to the Souls series, and Dark Souls 2 relative to Dark Souls 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTfcMeqhig

Now that you've watched all of that (good evening, btw) I can say in a general sense "Vermintide 2 play conditions you more effectively than the first game" so take that how you will.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 16, 2018

Gealar
May 2, 2013
So something I am not sure about. Is there supposed to be another closed beta that starts on the 20th or is it just another wave of people into the current one?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Gealar posted:

So something I am not sure about. Is there supposed to be another closed beta that starts on the 20th or is it just another wave of people into the current one?

The 28th beta is for pre-orders only, and progress wil carry over. It'll also be a more recent build as this one is (iirc) at least a month or two old. I really like what they did in VT2 and can't wait until then.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Bogart posted:

Did y'all play Lead and Gold? That was pretty neat.
Yeah that game ruled

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I forgot to mention that the elf still attracts the worst kind of players, that much has remained unchanged from the first game

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Banano posted:

I forgot to mention that the elf still attracts the only kind of players that matter, that much has remained unchanged from the first game

FTFY

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Banano posted:

I forgot to mention that the elf still attracts the worst kind of players, that much has remained unchanged from the first game

I play elf so when I matchmake I never get grouped with a terrible elf. A ranged-focused elf choice is just gonna attract the worst kind of people, but I really love the Sword & Dagger more than any ranged option she got in VT1.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

This is the worst gimmick.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Nothing wrong with an elf in the party if you ask me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Nothing wrong with an elf in the party if you ask me

a party leaving, no.

returning, very yes.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I play elf and i must say i do so..poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Elf is really good when she uses her ranged to thin out hordes and pick specials, while taking attacks of opportunity on the edges of a swarm trying to envelop the party, allowing the controllers a manageable swarm to do that voodoo they do.

In summary; elf is always bad.

• Locked thread