Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

free hubcaps posted:

ha I forgot they said they were adding helicopters, hell yea I’d like to fly a gazelle in game

this game is going to be such a shambling patchwork behemoth when all is said and done

I assume helos would work more like a modified ground vehicle than an aircraft? There'd be no loving point them sharing the same space as jets (and having to fly all that way to the battlefield at biplane speeds), and their only survivability comes from hugging terrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Saab Draken when

Not emptyquoting. That's like my favorite plane and I would drop everything and powergrind through hell itsself for it.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Oh my god if they add the F-4 all is forgiven and I'll be right back in this game

e: gently caress, i'd even grind through all the sabres to get it

maybe if i'm lucky they'll add a JSDF phantom and i can just go for that since that's the sabre i already have too

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 16, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

I assume helos would work more like a modified ground vehicle than an aircraft? There'd be no loving point them sharing the same space as jets (and having to fly all that way to the battlefield at biplane speeds), and their only survivability comes from hugging terrain

All of this sounds awesome, except obviously they'd have a little FARP and wouldn't return to a bigass airbase. Put helos, tanks, and airplanes in one combined arms space, TIA

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Actually when USAF did some model dogfights they realized that up to spec helicopters are a major bitch to fight for jet fighters because pretty much no matter you do a helicopter that's aware of you will end up in a head on with you and unlike you, can fly and shoot in different directions, which is a pretty huge advantage. So, unless you have missiles which the helicopter won't have countermeasures against, it's a lot less of a pushover than it might seem at first glance.

It's true they'd have to do something about the maps/spawnpoints though because getting Spain in a helichopper would be pretty hilarious

I think Gaijin did mention they might keep them removed from the airplane tech trees, if not just for gameplay reasons then because they can't exactly fill a whole top-down multi era branches with them as they didn't really exist in combat capable capacity through the WWII period.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

YellerBill posted:

Oh my god if they add the F-4 all is forgiven and I'll be right back in this game

e: gently caress, i'd even grind through all the sabres to get it

How long would this take do we reckon? Assuming no gold planes (because I've already spent all the money I care to spend on this game)

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

How long would this take do we reckon? Assuming no gold planes (because I've already spent all the money I care to spend on this game)

Do you have any premiums already like the p47m, f7f-3, or a late era stang/talismaned bearcat? It doesn't take too long to grind out all the jets when you have an effective tier 4. I put a discounted talisman on the thunderjet when I was drunk for some reason, but didn't really need to. Tigercats/bearcats/thunderbolts will rack up enough rp in most modes to finish off tier 5 pretty easy.

If you want to actually play jets, then arcade is pretty decent for america if you make a 7.0-7.3 lineup (thunderjet, shooting stars, and your super props). Depends on how good you are playing strict b&z and ground pounding, but I imagine you can grind it out in a week or two. If you can play sim, then EC5 and late era sim tonks makes insane xp especially once you unlock your payloads.

thats not candy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 16, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Teal posted:

Actually when USAF did some model dogfights they realized that up to spec helicopters are a major bitch to fight for jet fighters because pretty much no matter you do a helicopter that's aware of you will end up in a head on with you and unlike you, can fly and shoot in different directions, which is a pretty huge advantage. So, unless you have missiles which the helicopter won't have countermeasures against, it's a lot less of a pushover than it might seem at first glance.

Yeah, if you're talking cold war jets with crummy missiles and cold war helicopters with the same crummy heaters, choppers do rather well.

Nowadays, lol get fuckin' rekt, helicopters. You stand absolutely no chance unless the jet just has more important things to do than deign to shoot you down.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Attack helos were already featured in last years April Fools, which was basically a feature test for most of the stuff they are introducing now. They fly like most video game helicopters and they spawned behind the tank spawn, technically off map, but not nearly as far away as the plane spawn.

There's absolutely no reason not to have tanks/helos/tanks all on the same CARB maps, especially the early AT helos I've mentioned before. Gazelle HOTs or Bo-105s would actually fit this game super well, because while they give you incredible mobility, you are greatly limited in ammo and the missiles do require some finesse to use well. Some kind of FOB where they could reload that is decently far away like the airfields are for planes, and they add a really good dynamic to the high tier games in terms of offsetting camping ATGM vehicles and such. Also them being the same maps as turboprops and early jets and you get excellent deterrent.

I think we might see balance problems if they go all the way to the Hinds and Apaches of April Fools though, once people got the hang of them they were pretty devastating to the tank players, and required like multiple good AAA players to be dealt with. Having 8+ optically guided missiles and 64+ HEAT rockets is just too much capability. Give that helo to any decent player on Fulda/Sinai/big Poland and they can basically break the game in half.

I absolutely expect helicopters, if they do ever get added, to be on the ground vehicle tree in their own lines, or at the end of the TD trees like they kind of did with the T6 vehicles. They make no sense in the airplane trees until they flesh out cannon armed helos and/or AAM variants, which are pretty late to the party.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 16, 2018

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
When they add helicopters I just hope they model the flight characteristics better than they were in the april fools event, and also model the cockpit for sim. Might give me an excuse to buy pedals finally.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

thats not candy posted:

When they add helicopters I just hope they model the flight characteristics better than they were in the april fools event, and also model the cockpit for sim. Might give me an excuse to buy pedals finally.

To be fair they took some getting used to but once you got the hang of it I thought the flight model was pretty good. They weren’t easy to fly comfortably, but with practice you could hover and maneuver just fine, which I think was a good middle ground between easy/grog.

I’ll have to check if I still have my shadowplays from then, I had some pretty good helo clips.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thats not candy posted:

Do you have any premiums already like the p47m, f7f-3, or a late era stang/talismaned bearcat? It doesn't take too long to grind out all the jets when you have an effective tier 4. I put a discounted talisman on the thunderjet when I was drunk for some reason, but didn't really need to. Tigercats/bearcats/thunderbolts will rack up enough rp in most modes to finish off tier 5 pretty easy.

If you want to actually play jets, then arcade is pretty decent for america if you make a 7.0-7.3 lineup (thunderjet, shooting stars, and your super props). Depends on how good you are playing strict b&z and ground pounding, but I imagine you can grind it out in a week or two. If you can play sim, then EC5 and late era sim tonks makes insane xp especially once you unlock your payloads.

Whoops, should have specified I've got absolutely nothing in America, at all. I'd be starting from the bottom of tier 1.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Whoops, should have specified I've got absolutely nothing in America, at all. I'd be starting from the bottom of tier 1.

Well that will definitely take awhile if you don't want to buy a late premium to leapfrog all those tiers. Fortunately america has the best plane tree and all the tiers are fun, so get started!

Mazz posted:

To be fair they took some getting used to but once you got the hang of it I thought the flight model was pretty good. They weren’t easy to fly comfortably, but with practice you could hover and maneuver just fine, which I think was a good middle ground between easy/grog.

I’ll have to check if I still have my shadowplays from then, I had some pretty good helo clips.

I only played two rounds during the event but I thought it felt okay for rb. I just want it to be complex enough in sim that most people crash if they don't have a stick and good controls (like they do now with planes). I vaguely remember flying helicopters in battlefield 1942 desert combat mod where most people would become disoriented and crash, which is the way I like it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mazz posted:

I think we might see balance problems if they go all the way to the Hinds and Apaches of April Fools though, once people got the hang of them they were pretty devastating to the tank players, and required like multiple good AAA players to be dealt with. Having 8+ optically guided missiles and 64+ HEAT rockets is just too much capability. Give that helo to any decent player on Fulda/Sinai/big Poland and they can basically break the game in half.

Unlockable upgrade that surrounds your tank with ManPAD equipped infantry? :v:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

thats not candy posted:

Well that will definitely take awhile if you don't want to buy a late premium to leapfrog all those tiers. Fortunately america has the best plane tree and all the tiers are fun, so get started!

I only played two rounds during the event but I thought it felt okay for rb. I just want it to be complex enough in sim that most people crash if they don't have a stick and good controls (like they do now with planes). I vaguely remember flying helicopters in battlefield 1942 desert combat mod where most people would become disoriented and crash, which is the way I like it.

That's valid. I only played RB but I felt the same, mainly that is wasn't super easy to just relocate and shoot until you really got the hang of it, which I think is important. Helicopters should take some practice to really use well/have limitations, just like planes, or they'll just inevitably be too common/good. I agree sim should be a serious endeavor, since helicopters are pretty much actively trying to kill you as the pilot.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 16, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I can't keep up with all the ammunition changes. On the Cent 10/Vickers MBT, when should I use HESH? The APDS has excellent pen but almost no spalling, it feels like.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Goddamn the Centurions are good tanks. You'd think they'd be best at hull down shenanigans but bizarrely I've had a lot more success just playing hyper aggressive and pushing forward like I would in a T-34.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
> ammotalk
Laughs from carefully bush-clad T114 from across the map

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Maybe they'll fix the M60 turret when the Magach comes out.

Unrelated I'm mad as gently caress that I didn't buy those bush megapacks, gently caress.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Solumin posted:

I can't keep up with all the ammunition changes. On the Cent 10/Vickers MBT, when should I use HESH? The APDS has excellent pen but almost no spalling, it feels like.

You basically don't unless you're fighting light tanks or you're shooting someone's side, HESH got the nerf bat pretty hard.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

> ammotalk

My greatest moments In the T114 have involved parking right up against buildings, waiting motionless, and just ruining anybody who rolls past with rapid fire HEAT. It's small and boxy enough that a lot of people will just drive right past. I got 4 kills in CARB Kursk last night doing that before moving up to the church where some hyper-sniper T-64 nailed me from across the map through a corner of the building somehow. He encountered 4000lbs of bombs shortly afterwards (and again when he respawned) so I wasn't too mad.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

> ammotalk

Don't tempt me, that thing is everything I love in one tank. If it wasn't so expensive I'd have one already.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the He-100 D? Finally went back and hosed with it a bit and it’s fun for the tier

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr.Radical posted:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the He-100 D? Finally went back and hosed with it a bit and it’s fun for the tier

It's ridiculously overpowered at the BR it's at. The skill floor is propped up a bit higher for two reasons; none too amazing guns and the fact that your basically entire wings are full of extremely frail radiators mean that even the gentlest grazing hit means you need to RTB sooner or later.
But the dive and straight line maximal speed and high speed maneuverability coupled with not at all bad rate of climb make it basically untouchable if flown carefully. You boom and zoom forever and just make sure nobody ever gets the radiator popping grazing hit. If you end up alone against one player you can usually get away with just dumbly turnfighting anyway.
The only thing that's your weakness are turreted bombers as those take a good deal of ammo to take down with 7.7s and it's hard to guarantee they won't graze you, but it's not like it's impossible to take them down and even if your rads pop, you're so fast that you can always make it back to the base in the anyway.

Seriously, one of the most unfair things in the game when flown properly.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A rare glimpse of a mother and her cubs braving the harsh Russian winter. They must venture out in search of food, and to teach the cubs the skills they will need if they want to survive.

But she must be wary. There are plenty of hungry Tigers and Panthers in the region, and the cubs are easy prey.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I just figured out how warbonds work. Should I wait till next month to see what new premies roll out?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah. If you don't begin your warbond grind ASAP (say, during the first week of the month) I'm not sure you'll be able to reach the highest tiers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The quickest way to make the game unfun is to use the daily boosters. Don't go in with a set goal and just have fun shooting planes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

The quickest way to make the game unfun is to use the daily boosters. Don't go in with a set goal and just have fun shooting planes.

Yeah. I'll glance at the first item or two and if it's something I don't have to think about, great. If it's pretty damned easy and only slightly changes play such as deciding to fly a heavy fighter for one whole match, I'll do it. When it's "get 10 critical hits that result in your squadmate's neighbor getting an aerial kill in her tank" gently caress that noise.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I have to say I'm not enjoying the Centurion Mk3 as much as I thought I would, and not nearly as much as I like the Centurion Mk1. The armour is adequate and the gun is great, but its just so sluggish for a medium tank.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Britain no longer has the fastest tanks once you hit 6.3. Well, except for the Charioteer, which is a Cromwell chassis fitted with the 20 lb cannon.
I've found they have enough mobility to get by, but they don't excel like the Cromwells do. However, none of the medium and heavy tanks are slower than the Cent 3, and you actually have a reverse gear now.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Solumin posted:

Britain no longer has the fastest tanks once you hit 6.3. Well, except for the Charioteer, which is a Cromwell chassis fitted with the 20 lb cannon.
I've found they have enough mobility to get by, but they don't excel like the Cromwells do. However, none of the medium and heavy tanks are slower than the Cent 3, and you actually have a reverse gear now.

It's not so much the speed as its the agility. The Mk 1 isn't as fast as say, a Panther, but it moves on the spot nicely and has an excellent reverse. The Mk3 is very reminiscent of the Sherman Firefly in how laborious it feels to manoeuvre it when you've got little momentum going. Guess those extra 8 tons really had an effect.

Has anyone got the Vickers MBT and if so is it any good? It looks like a kind of proto-Leopard which can't be a bad thing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Centurions are in that category of tanks that benefit massively from unlocking the horsepower modifications. Their mobility is pretty dreadful when stock, but it upgrades to acceptable. For this reason, while the Centurion chassis is pretty drat reliable, the FV4202 and Caernarvon offer better mobility in the 20pdr BR bracket.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It's not so much the speed as its the agility. The Mk 1 isn't as fast as say, a Panther, but it moves on the spot nicely and has an excellent reverse. The Mk3 is very reminiscent of the Sherman Firefly in how laborious it feels to manoeuvre it when you've got little momentum going. Guess those extra 8 tons really had an effect.

Has anyone got the Vickers MBT and if so is it any good? It looks like a kind of proto-Leopard which can't be a bad thing.

That's a pretty good assessment of the Vickers, it's got a decent gun and is fairly quick, though the weak British engines do hold it back on rough terrain. It's biggest problem is needing to rely on APDS since HESH is worthless now.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ArchRanger posted:

That's a pretty good assessment of the Vickers, it's got a decent gun and is fairly quick, though the weak British engines do hold it back on rough terrain. It's biggest problem is needing to rely on APDS since HESH is worthless now.

Coming from the APCBC of the 20 lbder, the Vicker's APDS feels anemic. It pens, sure, but where's my cloud of angry spalling?

YF-23 posted:

The Centurions are in that category of tanks that benefit massively from unlocking the horsepower modifications. Their mobility is pretty dreadful when stock, but it upgrades to acceptable. For this reason, while the Centurion chassis is pretty drat reliable, the FV4202 and Caernarvon offer better mobility in the 20pdr BR bracket.

Yeah, this has been my experience. I prefer the FV4202 and especially the Caernarvon over the Cent 3. I mean, they're all really good tanks, but those two are excellent.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Teal posted:

No matter which M1 they choose it gonna have better protection than the Challenger 1 and it gonna be just a smidgen slower than the Leopard 2K so I'm pretty sure the 105mm will be the single thing keeping it back from being overpowered as poo poo.

Keep in mind Challenger 1's LFP is a glaring weakspot vulnerable to RPG-7s and whatnot. Even XM-1 will be tough loving nuts from the front.

The initial M1 was not better armoured than a challenger 1. The Abrams had better maneuverability and fire control but not armour. I'm open to being proved wrong.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I believe the armor was comparable until the M1IP, the M1A1 is even better (and armed with the M256)

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

the obj 906 is the best tank in the game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My vote for best tank is a little uptiered turd oneshotting Leopards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finally bought my P-51H and there's nobody to fly it against because the RB scene past 6.0 is deaaaaad.