Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

let the good anime guide your way...

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Howl is indeed an Excal goon.

e: and hormy

Pretty much everyone in our FC is hormy.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

All you need to do is jump every minute or so and you're not afk. I've known people to just hit spacebar every now and then while watching netflix, to level through stormblood. Can set up autohotkey or something if you want to go pro.

the pro way is to end task ffxiv when the match starts, then come back in 10 mins later and you're usually not kicked and the win happens 1-2 mins later.

Sarrisan posted:

If F keys are too awkward, I actually find clicking in this case easier. Your button presses would look like:

Pre-position mouse courser over target > Engage boss with Elusive Jump > Heavy Thrust > Click Mouse > Dragon Sight > Tab > Continue as normal

Basically a lot less left-hand movement. But then there are healers who practice using F keys and they are way faster at reacting than my clicking rear end so it's up to you which method you wanna git gud at.

Behold: a 100 percentile dragoon who clicks more than half his skills. I am honestly in awe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNrEA1-rYJI&t=459s

there will always be an exception to a rule.

Does anyone use a tracker or a good timer to know when to go back and check their venture bros? I realize the game alerts you but I might be alt tabbed or in the middle of combat and my focus is not near the top of the screen and then I forget. Something similar to garland tools legendary spoil node alert would be cool.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 16, 2018

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I’m not on excal or in a goon FC, but if Howl Jenkins is a goon I must thank him because several days ago I didn’t get thrown off the train after the chimney in O5 normal and I died and my dead body flew next to the train for the rest of the fight and the only thing that got me through this trying time was a man named Howl Jenkins telling me that he loved me.

Hi I'm Howl Jenkins and I love you

edit: wait poo poo i totally remember that, you were like cheering us on and talking about how you became one with the train. it was hilarious and i ended up comming you after!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Holyshoot posted:

there will always be an exception to a rule.

In HW I was a top percentile dragoon and clicked everything. We’ve never ran the max dps meta and i’m still 85+ on basically any of the tanks i play today and I click nearly every skill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s ok to mouse click abilities in this game.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
trying to gear for high end crafting/gathering reminds me alot of real life, in that i'm always broke and well behind everyone else

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Some pro video games actually involve clicking on things that actively move! It's pretty nuts.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sometimes even more than once every 2 seconds.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
Looks like Square is lifting congested world status for all worlds, at least until people clog them up again https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f4acfd71a5a9a3b2a8852436b2408e1ace628e3f

quote:

Based on our analysis of login numbers and plot sales across all Worlds in the weeks following the release of 4.2, we have decided to implement the following changes during the next scheduled maintenance:

- Restrictions on all currently designated Congested Worlds will be lifted.
- New Preferred Worlds will be designated.
- The moratorium on plot sales to individuals will be lifted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Potassium Problems posted:

Looks like Square is lifting congested world status for all worlds, at least until people clog them up again https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f4acfd71a5a9a3b2a8852436b2408e1ace628e3f

So for about 27 minutes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why the gently caress do the plots go on sale at 5 am est?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

why the gently caress do the plots go on sale at 5 am est?

Japan

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s ok to mouse click abilities in this game.

correct. However you're working harder to be as good as you are clicking is my point. But whatever works for the person is what matters. What I would like to see is a clicker healer who ranks on fights for healing. That's probably even more rare.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I'm currently waffling between Ninja and Dragoon. I know Dragoon is a slow start but man, ninja just feels more fun. I assume that both are viable and I should just pick what is more enjoyable?

I'm indecisive.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They're both extremely good with solid meta spots. Neither is a wrong answer.

I find Ninja harder to play but that might just be me.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
To me Dragoon feels fluid in the sense your just doing one looooong combo over and over, Ninja scratches that gotta go fast itch. Bard/Machinist will love you on Dragoon if you raid, and Ninja has lovely agro tools and Trick.

the real answer is play both

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Rhjamiz posted:

So I'm currently waffling between Ninja and Dragoon. I know Dragoon is a slow start but man, ninja just feels more fun. I assume that both are viable and I should just pick what is more enjoyable?

I'm indecisive.

Yep. They serve the same general role but bring a few differences (DRG is burstier individually, NIN can help the group burst). DRG is considerably more active at 70 with all the oGCDs.

Go with whichever you enjoy more.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Would you rather get mad that animation lock killed you, or mad that the enemy turned ever-so-slightly for a split second and hosed your backstab

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

does anyone know a quick way to farm shards and the like? Turns out cooking is expensive.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Retainers.

Putting on a podcast and farming then yourself.

Eating the cost and just buying them off the MB.

Maps! (Clusters)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Grow the shards in your garden after you emerge victorious from the Great Housing Wars.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Nin is better until 70 when you get TCJ and then it is worse

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
>Botch the opening Suiton
>Hit Kassatsu before Bunny to tray and save it
>Hit TCJ when it comes up
>Boss does a push back and knocks you out of it

Ninja is my favorite class. It will always be my favorite class. It also occasionally feels like a kick in the dick. Fumbling a button or the boss twitching to the left a bit is so much more punishing than on most other classes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

put the bi in bicycle posted:

Hi I'm Howl Jenkins and I love you

This is how hearts get eaten.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Saint Freak posted:

Would you rather get mad that animation lock killed you, or mad that the enemy turned ever-so-slightly for a split second and hosed your backstab

I have had both of these happen while leveling from 50.

gently caress you, Xande. :argh:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f4acfd71a5a9a3b2a8852436b2408e1ace628e3f

Anyone have any idea if this means constantly locked servers like Balmung will be open to new character creation, or just that we can once again transfer to them from other servers?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f4acfd71a5a9a3b2a8852436b2408e1ace628e3f

Anyone have any idea if this means constantly locked servers like Balmung will be open to new character creation, or just that we can once again transfer to them from other servers?

Almost certainly it means just open to transfer. Busy but not locked servers like Mateus are still locked down for character creation.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Nodosaur posted:

does anyone know a quick way to farm shards and the like? Turns out cooking is expensive.

Use whatever yield skill that's highest for you at the moment. There are also some level 30 gathering nodes that give extra shards. Eastern Thanalan for fire, Western Thanalan for water, Western La Noscea for ice, Lower La Noscea for earth, East Shroud for wind, Southern Thanalan for lightning.

Aside from that, retainers can grab a bunch at a time.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have had both of these happen while leveling from 50.

gently caress you, Xande. :argh:

I have noticed that as ninja I get a lot more angry at tanks that run around making the boss turn or move. Just stay put you gently caress! :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, hey, apparently you can randomly run into Siegfried on the Phantom Train. That's a neat Easter egg.

Rhjamiz posted:

I have noticed that as ninja I get a lot more angry at tanks that run around making the boss turn or move. Just stay put you gently caress! :argh:

Agreed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, hey, apparently you can randomly run into Siegfried on the Phantom Train. That's a neat Easter egg.

What? Where?

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Thundarr posted:

What? Where?

He shows up randomly in place of a ghost sometimes in the train car.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Amazing. But not enough so for me to farm it until I meet him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

What? Where?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
That makes me so happy. :allears:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Rhjamiz posted:

I've definitely wondered what I should do with a boss that turns around for like 10 seconds to do some attack. Do I keep standing where I am? Do I move in front of the boss so it doesn't turn back?

also why the gently caress is the Saintly Beam AoE so utterly rear end, I've had moments where I was well out of it and still got smacked in the face

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Almost certainly it means just open to transfer. Busy but not locked servers like Mateus are still locked down for character creation.

Yeah, I figured. Was debating whether or not I should stop playing my new Mateus alt before I get too far and remake him on Balmung, then I got to thinking and figured it wouldn't be that easy. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

vOv posted:

I've definitely wondered what I should do with a boss that turns around for like 10 seconds to do some attack. Do I keep standing where I am? Do I move in front of the boss so it doesn't turn back?

also why the gently caress is the Saintly Beam AoE so utterly rear end, I've had moments where I was well out of it and still got smacked in the face

Generally you'll move around with the boss and keep hitting positionals unless you need to stack with the group for whatever reason.

And Saintly Beam snapshots your location way sooner than you'd think, gotta move fast.