Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/964493565735985152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What if it a Russian troll was the only person who ever actually read Hillary's book and that's why we know about her slavemaster days?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

racism and sexism did not exist in america before may of 2014 when russians invented it on facebook

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hearing uncomfirned reports that the internet research agency's paid trolls circulated a photo of barack obama in tribal african dress to spread disinformation that he was a secret muslim to manipulate the election. wow, despicable.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's gonna be super fun when morons try to use this to argue that Greenwald was wrong when these new indictments actually validate exactly what Greenwald has said so far (that the evidence so far all points to just low effectiveness social media bullshit).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

it was only marginally influential i'd expect, but because hillary bad that was all that was required

it's all "grassroots" soft-influence stuff that's impossible to determine the full knock-on effects of. amping up radicalizing rhetoric on particular issues, discouraging non-white voter participation, etc. would hillary have won in the absence of those efforts? maybe. but it's easier to think "probably not" if you underestimate the scale of what russia was doing, which seems like a mistake to me
Here were go, time for the excuse making to happen from people who should know better

"Yes, Hillary was a piece of poo poo candidate whose website had opinions like 'NATO is the best investment America has ever made', no vocalised industrial strategy beyond 'tax credits to retrain the poor', and was in favour of expanding US trade links to areas with cheaper labour, but the reason black working class voters in Michigan didn't turn out for her was probably that they read Macedonian shitposter Realblackvoice's youtube comment that said she was bad."

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Jazerus posted:

it was only marginally influential i'd expect, but because hillary bad that was all that was required

it's all "grassroots" soft-influence stuff that's impossible to determine the full knock-on effects of. amping up radicalizing rhetoric on particular issues, discouraging non-white voter participation, etc. would hillary have won in the absence of those efforts? maybe. but it's easier to think "probably not" if you underestimate the scale of what russia was doing, which seems like a mistake to me

Personally, I'm just incredulous as to why it's news that governments meddle in each other's elections. Like, am I supposed to be mad that a country other than the united states is dumping dark money into someone else's elections? Should I be upset that the good american oligarchs and their paid-for politicians are being cucked? After all, they spent decades cultivating a miserable, ignorant, paranoid and hysterical populace for their own, personal, exploitation, not someone else's.

Like, I require serious help understanding why I'm supposed to give half a gently caress about this.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What's important to accept is that Russia made us gay for Bernie.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Jazerus posted:

there were 80 people in the US election focused department of the internet research agency, they're just indicting 13

some people really want to believe the russian efforts here were hilariously small. they weren't.

Clinton's campaign had 4,200 staffers.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Thoguh posted:

What's important to accept is that Russia made us gay for Bernie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zhulik posted:

Personally, I'm just incredulous as to why it's news that governments meddle in each other's elections. Like, am I supposed to be mad that a country other than the united states is dumping dark money into someone else's elections? Should I be upset that the good american oligarchs and their paid-for politicians are being cucked? After all, they spent decades cultivating a miserable, ignorant, paranoid and hysterical populace for their own, personal, exploitation, not someone else's.

Like, I require serious help understanding why I'm supposed to give half a gently caress about this.

HRC posted:

I do not think we should have pushed for an election... I think that was a big mistake.

And if we were going to push for an election, then we should have made sure that we did something to determine who was going to win.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

GunnerJ posted:

Unpaid interns don't count

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Sure, Trump had the Russians. But Hillary had poster Mitt Romney.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
All sides of the discourse will come together to applaud our brave operatives who extra-judicially kidnap the russian bot farm masters

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this entire thread is cops psy ops

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
THEY ACTUALLY GOT PAID THIS poo poo???

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Here were go, time for the excuse making to happen from people who should know better

"Yes, Hillary was a piece of poo poo candidate whose website had opinions like 'NATO is the best investment America has ever made', no vocalised industrial strategy beyond 'tax credits to retrain the poor', and was in favour of expanding US trade links to areas with cheaper labour, but the reason black working class voters in Michigan didn't turn out for her was probably that they read Macedonian shitposter Realblackvoice's youtube comment that said she was bad."

this post embodies the absolute worst tendency of the suck zone, which is to pretend the poster you're responding to is just rolling in the succ because it's easier than viewing 2016 as a multifaceted failure on the part of not just hillary, although she deserved to lose with how incompetently she ran notwithstanding the influence of anything else

also it was almost definitely like 99% white people who were taken in by this poo poo, c'mon

Zhulik posted:

because russia's goal here is societal destabilization and so a potential path to stability (i.e. BERNIE!!!!) could easily be targeted in the future. like yeah government election meddling is very common, it's still not particularly desirable and we should try to figure out ways to make it less impactful.

GunnerJ posted:

lol i've said "hillary is an incompetent bad dummy" in like every one of my last few posts

i never said that the russian operation was large compared to the clinton campaign, just compared to the "lol russia killed america w/ $500,000 in facebook ads" take that is pretty common

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

yeah, this is why "the russians did a russia to mother" rings hollow.

it's some ur fascism garbage, the campaign who never failed to not punch left with a 1 billion dollar ad buy coffer was so weak and feeble (outdoor summer hoops) that they got completely demolished by 2 dozen dudes in moscow and $100k in facebook ads which reached up to dozens of impressions.

yea OK

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Jazerus posted:

because russia's goal here is societal destabilization and so a potential path to stability (i.e. BERNIE!!!!) could easily be targeted in the future. like yeah government election meddling is very common, it's still not particularly desirable and we should try to figure out ways to make it less impactful.

The only way to effectively mitigate the effects of gay bernie facebook ads on our deranged, opioid-addicted hookworm-infested population is to make the states a less lovely country to live in, which should be the goal of any policy regardless of russia.

Trying to focus on and directly combat unfathomably devious genius meddling by "Woketivism Justice Liberty United" accounts will only result in McCarthyism 2.0 and ultimately be extremely counterproductive.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
It's plainly nationalism and scapegoating. This would honestly be fine if it were truly but a stepping stone to major overhauls of how things are done. It is not. Look at any of these people's articles, or the politicians who have anything to say about it.

The one's who are using this to affect at the moment are alt-right/conservatives to stoke hate against Black Lives Matter. They're just a russian front for dissent, don't ya know?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hillary is the most well-vetted dem candidate for 2020 because she is the only one who has weathered attacks from both the republican propaganda machine and the russian one

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

this post embodies the absolute worst tendency of the suck zone, which is to pretend the poster you're responding to is just rolling in the succ because it's easier than viewing 2016 as a multifaceted failure on the part of not just hillary, although she deserved to lose with how incompetently she ran notwithstanding the influence of anything else

also it was almost definitely like 99% white people who were taken in by this poo poo, c'mon

lol i've said "hillary is an incompetent bad dummy" in like every one of my last few posts

i never said that the russian operation was large compared to the clinton campaign, just compared to the "lol russia killed america w/ $500,000 in facebook ads" take that is pretty common

Look I'll agree that her loss was multifaceted of which Russia was one part of. But I will also argue that russia's significance is dwarfed compared to literally any other decision the campaign made, or didn't make.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zhulik posted:

The only way to effectively mitigate the effects of gay bernie facebook ads on our deranged, opioid-addicted hookworm-infested population is to make the states a less lovely country to live in, which should be the goal of any policy regardless of russia.

Trying to focus on and directly combat unfathomably devious genius meddling by "Woketivism Justice Liberty United" accounts will only result in McCarthyism 2.0 and ultimately be extremely counterproductive.

:agreed:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Racist Bernard is in cahoots with BLM

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is, of course, is a separate issue of the email released by WikiLeaks with the Trump campaign appears to have had advanced notice of

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Frijolero posted:

The Racist Bernard is in cahoots with BLM

BLM is also Russia!

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/851044052044845056

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinesh, you’re gay

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Zhulik posted:

guess which one of these is the more likely outcome

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Dinesh, you’re gay

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Dinesh, you’re gay

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Look I'll agree that her loss was multifaceted of which Russia was one part of. But I will also argue that russia's significance is dwarfed compared to literally any other decision the campaign made, or didn't make.

:hai:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zhulik posted:

Wire fraud and identity theft are illegal and that's the FBI's job, to investigate that stuff. Also just cause something happens a lot doesn't mean you want it to happen unanswered to your own country!

But most importantly NOW we are supposed to care because the Russians attacked TED CRUZ!!!! NOW ITS ON

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
TED'S EYES ARE KIND NO LONGER

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/964609332590665728

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

belief in the sanctity of an election is extremely important to a functioning democracy (which, admittedly, the usa has not been for some time now)

it's why clinton made such a big deal of getting trump to concede that he'd accept the results if he lost and not contest the election

if the widespread view of an election becomes that it's a sham then you're about an inch away from either needing to form a new government or submitting to total elite control

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Zhulik posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SKULL.GIF posted:

if the widespread view of an election becomes that it's a sham then you're about an inch away from either needing to form a new government or submitting to total elite control

guess what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

guess what

haha what

• Locked thread