Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/964419784812015617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Did the ABC elaborate at all how the analysis article diverged from their editorial standards? The timing is just too suspicious and they'd do well to actually show some transparency for the decision making process.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Buzzfeed does the best AusPol journalism.

Buzzfeed.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The ABC has been planted full of conservatives. It's transparency in that it's obviously bullshit to anyone paying attention

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

Did the ABC elaborate at all how the analysis article diverged from their editorial standards? The timing is just too suspicious and they'd do well to actually show some transparency for the decision making process.

Nope. It's hard to see why they could take it down unless there was some obvious factual error made. Economic policy is very subjective and the consequences of any proposed policy can be argued very differently. So the obvious answer is that they caved under pressure like when that NBN guy upset Turnball.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh you mean the NBN guy who was banned from writing about the NBN because he upset Turnbull

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I imagine Turnbull's complaints were similar to this garbage piece in which no actual errors were cited.
http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/abcs-big-corporate-tax-reveal-exposes-its-innumeracy-20180215-h0w582

The fact that QANTAS paid no tax because of previous losses was clearly stated in the article. This dude has constructed some narrative about Alberici being an idiot because he couldn't get past the clickbait tweet. Then he goes on a rant for the rest of the article.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/Scottludlam/status/964328850942406656

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'd listen to the Ludlam/Dastayari savagery hour podcast.

Also pope is a national treasure. That Australian gothic complete with handmaidens tale and coalition against marriage equality is masterful.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sparticle posted:

I imagine Turnbull's complaints were similar to this garbage piece in which no actual errors were cited.
http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/abcs-big-corporate-tax-reveal-exposes-its-innumeracy-20180215-h0w582

The fact that QANTAS paid no tax because of previous losses was clearly stated in the article. This dude has constructed some narrative about Alberici being an idiot because he couldn't get past the clickbait tweet. Then he goes on a rant for the rest of the article.

About 6 months ago I looked at the taxes for a couple of companies who were crowing about a mining royalties increase being shot down and found that they all paid zero corporate tax for the last 5-7 financial years due partly to subsidies/offsets but more importantly due to losses carried-over from previous financial years (In fact they would have paid no tax at all were it not for the paltry mining royalties).

When I posted some garbage tweets about it I was immediately pissed on by pro-Liberal/business types who defended the corporations because they were "weren't doing anything illegal." I won't pretend to understand how deferring losses works or any of that poo poo but it's clear that a system where workers pay tax on their earning but their employers don't is a broken system. Of course as we see time and time again poisonous fuckheads deliberately frame the argument in a short-sighted way so that it's business as usual.

poo poo's hosed I guess. Also if someone could explain the whole carried-over losses thing that would be swell.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Criticise government tax reform? Article pulled.
Fantasise a case against renewables? No probs
Criticise the NBN rollout? Articles pulled.
Recite literal stormfront talking points?
No problem

We would be better off with no ABC right now because it’s a right wing media org but with the perception of a left wing one, so every time it criticises the left it must be true if even the ABC fell for it, while every time it defends the right it must be true if not even the ABC says it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
you can set off losses against future profit so if you made a loss of $100 last year and a profit of $150 this year you pay tax on $50

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

you can set off losses against future profit so if you made a loss of $100 last year and a profit of $150 this year you pay tax on $50

Except you inflate the losses with licencing and interest paid on loans to your foreign holding company, and deflate the profit by booking as much revenue as possible through your Singaporean retail arm.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

but you see none of that is illegal so you aren’t allowed to complain about it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rio Tinto is a great corporate citizen you can't blame them for dodging nearly a billion dollars in taxes by lending itself money to numbered Luxembourg subsidiaries. Just lol if your financial advisor hasnt taught you how to do this yet.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Except you inflate the losses with licencing and interest paid on loans to your foreign holding company, and deflate the profit by booking as much revenue as possible through your Singaporean retail arm.

the licences are held in Ireland of course

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man paying Joyce's rent benefitting indirectly from APVMA relocation

The millionaire paying Barnaby Joyce's rent runs a business that is benefiting financially from one of the Deputy Prime Minister's most contentious projects, the relocation of the Australian Pests and Veterinary Medicines Authority.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh man this is great. If Labour cant use all this to push Federal ICAC with cross bench there's no hope for politics in this country.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

G-Spot Run posted:

there's no hope for politics in this country.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten good?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hopefully they won't be able to rules-lawyer their way out of this one like when they said Barnaby's mistress wasn't his 'partner' lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Many organisations ban/have regulations about relationships in the workplace, the military, the police, even Salvation Army to name a few. Why should the "house on the Hill" be any different, and are there not many past examples as to why this is necessary.

Anyway the ACT has many establishments offering discrete dalliance if that is what is required ie. Fyshwick & Mitchell. No need to mess with the junior staff.

And if Mr Joyce can spill the seeds from his pants why not the beans from his mouth - after all is he not a member of Cabinet with our most confidential information.

Please Barnaby take your family values (and your wife and your children and your partner and your unborn child) (sounds like polygamy doesn't it) and ride into the sunset.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

G-Spot Run posted:

there's no hope for country.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

G-Spot Run posted:

Oh man this is great. If Labour cant use all this to push Federal ICAC with cross bench there's no hope for politics in this country.

President Trumball's going to have to announce one when he gets back from the US - he can define it and keep it small and useless.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Can't wait for Turnball ICAC to start a long overdue inquiry into Rudd's Pink Batts scheme

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-17/abbott-weighs-in-on-barnaby-joyce-affair/9457714

quote:

Today, Mr Abbott said if politicians wanted to give each other advice, they should do so by knocking on their door and picking up the phone to talk directly.
"I am just not going to get into any details about personalities or specifics, but certainly as a general rule one party doesn't give another party public advice," Mr Abbott said.
"That's the general rule that I observed."

Mr Abbott has also questioned the need for a ban on sex between ministers and their staff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Not surprising. I'm sure we all recall the talk about the Mad Monk and Credlin.

They denied it but never went after anyone for defamation about it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

Lets have a look shall we?

https://web.archive.org/web/20180214054214/http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-14/company-tax-rate-cut-arguments-missing-evidence/9443874

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/feb/17/turnbull-fifield-and-morrison-wrote-to-abc-boss-before-tax-cut-analysis-was-removed-report

Haha, so now it's come out that Turnbull, Fifield and Morrison all wrote to the ABC to have the article taken down. Also Guardian is reporting that a complaint was taken by the ABC because Shorten tweeted a link to the article as it was then biased because of reasons.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
I really hope all this shite will affect the polls.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Ora Tzo posted:

I really hope all this shite will affect the polls.

I feel like they will lose another 2PP point but Turnbull will stay ahead in Prefered PM and the press will laud his statesman like handling of the situation.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I wish Astro Labe would headbutt the CPG.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
And – having already made a public statement revealing the depth of hurt she and her children feel – Natalie Joyce is reported to be considering a television interview.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's a shame that these scandals are distracting the laser-like focus from the Coalition's successful legislative agenda such as and including but not exclusively limited to ahh

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
CUT TAXES no poo poo we've done that CUT THE DOLE

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/PatrickPG/status/964827625792270337

The WA National's are raising the flag against Barnaby..

Counting the numbers is happening this weekend. Odd's on it will be ON come the party room meeting on Monday.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A 90s flashback - somatic gene therapy is playing God

http://www.smh.com.au/national/science-s-new-toy-should-scare-us-all-20180215-p4z0hy.html

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

At The End Of An ABC Article posted:

This piece was first published at News.com.au.
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm starting to wonder if some of this poo poo is going to be beyond the ability of the federal Labor parliamentary team to un-gently caress.

• Locked thread