Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Apprentice Hugmaster.

Because a true Hugmaster would not be whiffing so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Here is a cat doing its best impression of Roboky

https://i.imgur.com/Xmmgosk.mp4

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 10, 2018

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

What a good cat, trying so hard.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

skoolmunkee posted:

Don't worry, it landed on someone and got an assassination. Somehow managed not to alert anyone, either!

moonlightshadow13
Dec 15, 2014

There are three things you should fear

A Ventrues's Glare

A Tremere's interest

And a Malkavian's Smile
Ok, so I started a dishonored 2 run, and the first mission f up, with morgan and the guard ai loving up before i reset :/

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The jump into open space and then the blink is a terrifying trick.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Shei-kun posted:

Don't worry, it landed on someone and got an assassination. Somehow managed not to alert anyone, either!

Yeah weird how it doesn't show the Overseer coming in and closing the door.

Glazius posted:

The jump into open space and then the blink is a terrifying trick.

And yet I feel like that's one of those things I try to do way too often (and it rarely fails).

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
What about Hugmaster Sudsy for clean hands Corvo? Pretty easy to imagine him shaking the suds off his hands before the hug out of sheer politeness. Those whiffs were just politeness.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, this is quite amusing so far. Look forward to more!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There were just too many great moments in this one.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 11, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Edge of the World: Youtube Polsy

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Slightly bad news on my interlude: the reason this episode took so long is because I had a computer crash. The same crash made the interlude episode unrecoverable. I will need to remake the interlude. Hoping to do that this weekend.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 16, 2018

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Did you know that smacking a Grenade with your sword blows it up? I didn't when I first ran through this level, so I just broke that shop window the overseer was looking through by smacking it. There was a grenade right there. I promptly died.

That shopfront is now forever burned in my memories as the trapped one, despite having no trap.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

stun mines will do that as well.

did you know a detonating stunmine can trigger a grenade?

i do now.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Are any of your runs going to be powerless?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no, though i intend to add a bonus video of the differences with the powerless run from a story perspective.

it will be a VERY short video.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Running no-powers sounds either like a masochistic challenge mode, or like you're buying into the fact that the Outsider is tempting the player as well as the player character.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i know i touch on it at some point, but i honestly can't remember which episode it comes up: playing powerless is basically like playing Thief. You inherently become far more reliant on your gadgets to do things, and the game half-heartedly attempts to acknowledge that by giving you 200 coins per rune you pick up, instead of the rune. As a result, you have tons of money to spend on consumables like special crossbow darts, mines, grenades, etc. And, as you can probably tell from the first level before any of us had powers, you're no slouch in combat even powerless. Witches can be annoying but everything else you've basically got sorted.

The inherent problem is that the game is just not set up to be practically navigable without Blink or Far Reach. I don't mean there's lots of places you can't get to - quite the contrary, there is only one place in the entire game I was unable to access powerless - but that it is such a god drat chore to get anywhere and do anything that I distinctly had to ask why I was placing this much of a fun tax on myself. You can point to a number of spots I beef it with Blink, and perhaps I am clumsy but I really don't feel like I'm particularly so - just as important as my clumsiness is the inherent clumsiness of Blink, I feel. But if we agree there's some inherent clumsiness in Blink and its mechanics, you must also acknowledge that there's probably some clumsiness in basic climbing, because that's where 85% of the utility of Blink comes in.

So that basic clumsiness gets tested an order of magnitude more often per level because you have to jump and climb to get to most places. It's your only option. It's not a formula for terribly smooth gameplay.

The basic set pieces still work. Attacking enemies and conquering areas still works in a very Thief-like manner and that feels nice. But all the connective tissue in the game, the exploration and the positioning prior to disassembling an area, is so onerous it just completely ruins the experience for me.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
It's the speed of the encounter, I'm guessing. Blink allows you to be a lot more mobile, meaning that you can move from one point to another almost instantly without having to deal with the area in between.

It's rather like the difference between DOOM and Quake 4, as Alexey is now demonstrating. You flow in DOOM, moving from one encounter to the next, and you do it fast. And then you can chain shooting with those brutal mêlée kills. In the Dishonoured games, you can flow from cover to cover, and from enemy to enemy, so it feels like you're running a combo of moves, rather than a detached series of fights.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Coolguye posted:

Slightly bad news on my interlude: the reason this episode took so long is because I had a computer crash. The same crash made the interlude episode unrecoverable. I will need to remake the interlude. Hoping to do that this weekend.

Should this count as another "god drat it" moment?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Coolguye posted:

The inherent problem is that the game is just not set up to be practically navigable without Blink or Far Reach.

The basic set pieces still work. Attacking enemies and conquering areas still works in a very Thief-like manner and that feels nice. But all the connective tissue in the game, the exploration and the positioning prior to disassembling an area, is so onerous it just completely ruins the experience for me.

Having just finished a Flesh & Steel Shadow run, I can attest to this. There were a few points where I had fun working out how to dismantle an encounter with nothing but a crossbow and a severed arm, or following paths with my eyes and figuring out "Okay, I can climb to there, make a running jump to there, sidle along that ledge, hop to that lamppost..." and they do take special care to make sure it's possible to navigate without them, but 95% of the time I was just thinking "Ugh, this would be so much more fun with Blink or Agility." I lost count of the number of times I'd scale a stack of boxes and then get stuck under the overhang I was trying to climb next because the game thought I was trying to crawl under it. I actually enjoyed Dishonored 1's Mostly Flesh & Steel run better, because you still have Blink.

I mostly just did the run for the achievement, and to see what happens if you roleplay as a hardline Abbey supporter. Spoiler (not spoiler): You're still a heretic.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Dying at our UTTER lack of response to Ky's Ghost joke

Coolguy: chloroform bottles have limited usefulness. I mean, when you deal with the meeting up here, you need to deal with everybody at once, or be a little bit more gentle about it

Me, months later watching the episode: but that... is the perfect situation...

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 16, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it would be if the chloroform bottles were easier to find and stuff >:C

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It's complete madness not to allow runes to upgrade the player's skills in No Powers mode, but then it's also very odd to have no in-game effects from the choice of whether to accept branding by The Devil. I suspect, given the attention to detail in the rest of the game, that was probably just cut for time.

But hey! I haven't played Death of the Outsider, so I will assume that this is still something that might come into play on Dishonored 3!

Boy, you all do seem to be having a lot of fun with this. I adore the variety of options available to the player in this game - I played as close to ghostly as I could (very few hospital bills, but loooots of psychotherapy and counselling needed), and there's plenty of situations that end up basically Not Worth It, even with Emily's Mesmerize power to break stealth over your knee, so I missed out on stuff even in this level.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Running no-powers sounds either like a masochistic challenge mode, or like you're buying into the fact that the Outsider is tempting the player as well as the player character.

The funny thing is that to me, temptation with the power isn't even the character's intent; he's not really interested in IF you'll take power or not, but what you'll do with it if you do. The Outsider is a little perplexed and surprised if you reject his gift, but not in the least offended or put out; the thing he's always been interested in, is what you do with the powers, and your newfound freedom to do all sorts of things. To quote Dishonored;

The Outsider posted:

And Daud - the man who killed the Empress. You had him in the palm of your hand, and you let him walk away? You fascinate me.

It doesn't change the ending or plot in D2 any beyond one line in a later mission; it's literally just a masochism mode. And I say this having played Flesh and Steel.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's 3 changes from refusing the Mark that i know of:

1) your mainstay will comment on the first encounter with the Outsider in the first interlude differently in their travel log. corvo in particular borders on spiteful about the matter, he just absolutely is not having this poo poo from the Outsider and does not trust him at all.
2) during the conservatory mission, the Outsider talks a fair bit about Vice Overseer Byrne. if you've refused the Mark, as an afterthought, he adds "he'd be VERY pleased to know you refused my mark."
3) during the final mission, an Overseer that otherwise senses your affiliation with the Outsider and gets pissy at you simply gives you the Abbey's blessing instead. he's bleeding out, so this has no effect beyond changing some dialog.

these are the 3 things that i'm going to be putting into the bonus video near the end of the LP - if someone else knows of more please holler and i'll collate that as well, but yeah, the entirety of the content is like...two minutes, and that's if i steal the relevant bits from the main LP as comparison.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 16, 2018

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You could've gotten your money back after knocking out the homeless guy, it was right under him.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i do that later i forget why i didn't do it here

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You just stole his sleep aids and knocked him unconscious, let the man keep your money.

One thing I really like about the loot distribution is that they put sleep darts on a lot of bedside tables (or bedside trash piles etc), like these people are just jabbing themselves with feathery needles to get to sleep at night. You can always theorize that much like war medals and paintings turning themselves into coinage as soon as they hit your pocket, that you're actually finding sleeping pills and tinctures and bottling them in your pocket alchemy workbench, but I like the idea of someone just climbing into bed, stabbing a dart into their scalp, and zonking out.

Something I just thought about with regards to the whole honor culture discussion is that the culture we're seeing in the Empire right now is right on the cusp of the divide between medieval times and the industrial era. Landowners are beginning to realize it's not how much land you have, it's what can be done with that land. The Duke of Serkonos is evolving quite handily into a late-19th-century robber baron because Serkonos is sitting on these rich silver mines, and we're beginning to see a new layer of aristocracy rising from the working class. Meanwhile, those who cling purely to the old aristocratic model, like Ramsey, are having to scrape and claw to regain shreds of their lost position.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Dareon posted:

You just stole his sleep aids and knocked him unconscious, let the man keep your money.

He helped him go to sleep without a need for chemicals and took the chemicals as compensation. I see no problem.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Thinking on it, I think I prefer the low chaos version of everything for these games. It paints a very interesting picture of what happens when you try to overthrow this particular royal family. The morning after the coup, half the kingdom wakes up with a severe ball ache, no food in their homes, and empty safes.

It's like going to the Golden Cat but less fun.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fuuka Ayase posted:

Thinking on it, I think I prefer the low chaos version of everything for these games. It paints a very interesting picture of what happens when you try to overthrow this particular royal family. The morning after the coup, half the kingdom wakes up with a severe ball ache, no food in their homes, and empty safes.

"Did I miss the Fugue Feast again?"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It wouldn't be that much like the Golden Cat, because there aren't any people standing around pissing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Fuuka Ayase posted:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It wouldn't be that much like the Golden Cat, because there aren't any people standing around pissing.

I wouldn't know I'm still banned from there for some reason I TOLD THEM TO STOP SHOUTING

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

It's Corvo off the top rope!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I wouldn't know I'm still banned from there for some reason I TOLD THEM TO STOP SHOUTING
Look, you ran headfirst into the Bumblebee fan club and started causing a ruckus. That's all on you, buddy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Please call Coolguye's run Bumbles the Thief.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Please call Coolguye's run Bumbles the Thief.

This would make Corvo's half of the story "The Adventures of Bumbles and Stumbles" and that makes it somehow more magical. I second this.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
It's a complete debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SS-Kumei posted:

This would make Corvo's half of the story "The Adventures of Bumbles and Stumbles" and that makes it somehow more magical. I second this.

Thirded