Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

patonthebach posted:

Laws like this sound so great in theory but I wonder what they would actually accomplish. It really seems like the biggest issue around gun violence is either cultural / mental health or its gang/drug/poverty related. I dont know what banning the legal sale of semi-autos would truly do to gun violence in Canada.

Blaming gun violence on mental health is a red herring (just Google those search terms). However I am all for programs to cure people of the disease of thinking that they should have a right to own a handgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

My money's still on those around him totally believing in his alleged misogyny and bailing the second the boat started to rock.

It wasn't a problem until it looked like a problem, then it was an opportunity.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eXXon posted:

Blaming gun violence on mental health is a red herring (just Google those search terms). However I am all for programs to cure people of the disease of thinking that they should have a right to own a handgun.

This Shooting Isn't About Gun Control We Refuse To Pass, It’s About Access To Mental Health Care We’re Continuing To Gut

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I've played video games since age 4, watch yourselves I am a trained killer in the arts of contra and bad dudes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

https://www.theonion.com/it-s-an-honor-to-continue-being-valued-over-countless-h-1819585030

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

My money's still on those around him totally believing in his alleged misogyny and bailing the second the boat started to rock.

That's my take as well, which is why even if the CTV story turns out to be complete crap (which I'm not convinced it is) it's still interesting how fast everyone around him bailed out.

I read that as 'Yup, sounds like him' and everyone scrambling for the exits, rather than an organized smear campaign or a one-off claim against him.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chillyrabbit posted:

Whoops I should have said I liked that part too ;) Secure guns should help deter smash grab thieves, but technically unless you have a real deal bank type vault/safe any thief with a power tool and a plan can break into it. Security through obscurity, if they don't know you possess firearms they won't plan on stealing them. :colbert:

Gotcha! Wasn't sure, I thought that always made sense, and making sure people don't walk around with a loaded weapon unless it's for a legal purpose and in an appropriate setting.

I know my grandpa proooobably could have done a better job securing his rifle and ammunition, but they were pretty rural. He only ever used it to shoot predators, although I remember when I was very young he shot a dog that had was running wild and started killing a couple of sheep. Turned out to belong to an OPP sergeant who showed up a day later and really tried to make his life hell.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Lucky he didn’t get jailed for killing an officer of the law.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 9, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So it’s the Toronto Sun, not the best source, but Patrick Brown is entering the race for OPC leader: http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/patrick-brown-entering-ontario-pc-leadership-race

E: CBC corroborates: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/brown-enters-leadership-race-1.4539276

Holy what the gently caress ahahaha :psyduck:

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

flakeloaf posted:

I want her to take the leadership so the OPCs never see the light of day for the next decade, that'd be fantastic.

Please don't say this, tia

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

So it’s the Toronto Sun, not the best source, but Patrick Brown is entering the race for OPC leader: http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/patrick-brown-entering-ontario-pc-leadership-race

E: CBC corroborates: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/brown-enters-leadership-race-1.4539276

Holy what the gently caress ahahaha :psyduck:

This is amazing.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I don't recall seeing this here, so sorry if it's already been shared, but it looks like the RCMP was exactly as terrible as one would expect regarding the Boushie case.

quote:

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says an investigation is underway into a report that an RCMP officer wrote on Facebook that Colten Boushie, a young Cree man who was shot and killed by farmer Gerald Stanley on his rural Saskatchewan property in 2016, "got what he deserved."

APTN News reported that the poster is a serving RCMP member on the Prairies and made the comments on a private Facebook group used by some officers. RCMP confirmed Thursday afternoon they have launched an investigation of the social media posts but wouldn't say more, citing privacy law.

"This should never have been allowed to be about race … crimes were committed and a jury found the man not guilty in protecting his home and family. It should be sending a message to the criminal element that this crap is not going to be tolerated and if you value your life then stay away from what isn't yours," reads the post, which has been deleted.

"Too bad the kid died but he got what he deserved. How many of us work on or near reserves and are getting fed up with the race card being used every time someone gets caught breaking the law?"

Classy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AegisP posted:

This is amazing.

I can’t say the phrase “Patrick brown is running to replace himself as OPC leader” without laughing like a hyena. Incredible. Best plot twist. Couldn’t make it up.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

eXXon posted:

Sorry if this wasnt clear, there are 3 or more main facets of gun violence in the west. Each of the problems probably needs a different solution. Thats why its not as simple as banning certain guns or spending money on a certain facet.

1- Mass shooters

These are mostly as a result of mental health / culture / community issues

2- Gang related

Mostly a result of gangs/drugs/poverty/community

3- Domestic violence

Mostly a result of poverty / drug/alcohol abuse / etc

So when arguing about gun violence, it helps to say which facet we are trying to minimize. I was more referring to the specific mass shooting in Florida that just occurred and how mental health is an issue there.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Umm you left out suicide which is definitely a top two 'facet' of gun violence according to any expert I've ever read.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Getting rid of guns is a really cool idea until you realize it doesn't apply to cops :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xtal posted:

Getting rid of guns is a really cool idea until you realize it doesn't apply to cops :(

Nah it's still a pretty cool idea, because it's not like you're ever going to win in a shootout with the cops anyway.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

PT6A posted:

Nah it's still a pretty cool idea, because it's not like you're ever going to win in a shootout with the cops anyway.

Just means I gotta buy more guns to out-gun the cops. Duh.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vpzpjKVsw

This is definitely a man who does not suffer from any schiophrenia/paranoia episodes. Nope. Totally normally sane dude.

Jesus Christ.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

xtal posted:

I mean, we COULD apply it to cops as well. Just have a few specialty units that have guns for when they're actually needed.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Like the British system.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No guns no masters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cat Wings posted:

I mean, we COULD apply it to cops as well. Just have a few specialty units that have guns for when they're actually needed.

You mean the guys who constantly drill and train with guns, so they're able to use them safely and effectively?

Nah. Let's just hand out C8s to every flat foot and see how that goes.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I look away for one day and the OPCs somehow find a way to make this an even bigger mess :lol:

Brown's got a backer already! (This is an MPP)

https://twitter.com/RossRomanoSSM/status/964637386855591936?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
im the gen xer quoting chumbawamba on twitter in support of the election of a sex offender

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

I look away for one day and the OPCs somehow find a way to make this an even bigger mess :lol:

Brown's got a backer already! (This is an MPP)

https://twitter.com/RossRomanoSSM/status/964637386855591936?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

Already deleted. Looks like one person has some restraint.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

Already deleted. Looks like one person has some restraint.

A good ol boy from the Soo was thanking Patrick Brown for being such a stand up guy who always looks out for the glorious north.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

As someone who only earnestly pays attention to Ontario politics when there’s crack smoking involved, does Horwath and the NDP have a snowball’s chance? The PCs going clown car and Wynne being... Wynne, are the NDP really so ineffectual as to still be shooting for bronze?

I feel I already know the answer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Let's put it this way, what's the ONDP position on... anything... name literally any part of their platform.

Second question, without using Google, who is the NDP candidate in your riding?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stickarts posted:

As someone who only earnestly pays attention to Ontario politics when there’s crack smoking involved, does Horwath and the NDP have a snowball’s chance? The PCs going clown car and Wynne being... Wynne, are the NDP really so ineffectual as to still be shooting for bronze?

The ONDP are comically inept and have struggled the entire time Horwath has been leader to put together literally any message at all let alone one that would put them into contention to win.

The people behind Mulcair's hilariously bad election campaign had been part of the ONDP for years prior to that, just in case you want a reference.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Stickarts posted:

The NDP got outflanked by the liberals already on their best policy (universal pharmacare) and really have nothing too different to offer from the liberals to entice the average voter.

It would be lovely to have a party who advocated for policies like universal childcare, as any parent in the GTHA can tell you how loving amazing it would be to have a Quebec style system here given how horrible child care functions currently. The best we get is libs committing to fund spaces and hope the magic of the free market ensures it gets cheaper (hint: it won’t.)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

The NDP got outflanked by the liberals already on their best policy (universal pharmacare) and really have nothing too different to offer from the liberals to entice the average voter.

Well the other thing (literally, the only other thing) is the plan to buy back Ontario Hydro, normalize delivery fees between rural and urban markets, and royally gently caress with the power market.

I'm sure it's a good plan for people outside of the major urban centers, but probably doesn't do much for Toronto/GTHA.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

infernal machines posted:

A good ol boy from the Soo was thanking Patrick Brown for being such a stand up guy who always looks out for the glorious north.

They're also legit friends. 100% went to university together, not just another good old boy. It how he got the riding here in da sewer, by having Brown come up here in the first place.

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 17, 2018

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Let's put it this way, what's the ONDP position on... anything... name literally any part of their platform.

Second question, without using Google, who is the NDP candidate in your riding?

Andrea Horvath, and I actually doubt a lot of people who have moved here recently know that because outside of a single small billboard on Main Street (that was removed a couple months ago lol) she has a very limited footprint. She keeps herself very distant from politics here and I don’t think the NDP will be able to hold this seat for much longer if they keep so quiet.

The OLP is running a local advocate who is really vocal in the media and is a perfect fit for the Trudeau era: mostly interested in identity politics, female, economically centrist etc. The NDP can’t rely on factory workers and public servants to vote for them in urban areas anymore cause those people can’t afford to live there. They need some bold policies so when they lose at least they get people interested.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 17, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

WaffleLove posted:

They're also legit friends. 100% went to university together, not just another good old boy. It how he got the riding here in da sewer, by having Brown come up here in the first place.

Are you from da soo? Did you see that W5 documentary, Steeltown Down? Two of my best friends are from up there, from what I understand the opiod crisis is just horrific.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

So the NDP are going for smart, sensible, centrist leadership again? That’s their tack? What a limp balloon.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They’re going for forgetting to run. Again.

They’re loving terrible.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Stickarts posted:

So the NDP are going for smart, sensible, centrist leadership again? That’s their tack? What a limp balloon.

It’s loving awful given the massive issues we have in this province with inequality. I think the NDP could do well with universal programs (pharmacare, childcare, post-secondary) but the idea of increasing taxes on anyone, even the super rich, has become so toxic and they can’t formulate a message to save their lives so eh.

It’s too bad though, cause it would be pretty easy to sell those programs to middle class families who are being crushed by the increasing cost of these items but are never eligible for any of the targeted (and very poorly administered) assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Are you from da soo? Did you see that W5 documentary, Steeltown Down? Two of my best friends are from up there, from what I understand the opiod crisis is just horrific.

Yes I actually posted it in the thread.
Let's just say our city still won't call an crisis for the extra funding it'll give those workers.. I personally think they're scared it'll damage them getting the ferrochrome plant for the Ring Of Fire project.
Theirs like 2 other soo goons I know of as well :) 1 stopped posting other I think still posts in games.