Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

He comes back that one time with a big duffel bag full of weapons so I'd assume they were in there.

Duffel bag is after he uses mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They were the tops of the grenade spears. You can see him and nux planting them and it's the same explosive tip.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Finally saw It. I had it paused at the beginning and noticed that pennywise has a lazy eye, so during the whole opening scene, he is looking at Georgie and you; at the end, his right eye (the one reserved for Georgie) is the one that gets stabbed, so the eye that has been watching you, the viewer, is the one still functioning.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Friend posted:

Finally saw It. I had it paused at the beginning and noticed that pennywise has a lazy eye, so during the whole opening scene, he is looking at Georgie and you; at the end, his right eye (the one reserved for Georgie) is the one that gets stabbed, so the eye that has been watching you, the viewer, is the one still functioning.

Also, when Georgie loses the boat he mutters that Bill's going to kill him. He was right.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Krispy Wafer posted:

The wasteland communities are pretty advanced for post-apocalyptic societies so I think Bullet Farm is actually making their own ordiance. There's definitely scarcity though. Very few of The Citadel's people have anything better than a shotgun and I don't recall anyone from Gas Town with a firearm except for the People Eater's personal protection - although that was a pretty good sub-machine gun. And why would you want a gun when you can just spit fire all day long.

In the videogame, which by most measures seemed to try very hard to stay within the admittedly loose cannon, you get an early mission to rescue and secure a skilled bulletfarm worker. He knows the recipe to make gunpowder from the raw resources of the land, and when you get him back to Jeet's base your ammo will automatically restock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Friend posted:

The best part is that it’s not an effect. Skarsgard can actually move his eyes like a chameleon apparently.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm kind of a sucker for stupid puns in movies, especially well thought out ones, which is why I like movies like Igor - I find the main characters fairly likable, and like some of the dialog as well like when the Monster apologises for being clumsy saying she's "All thumbs" and Igor's response is "Sorry, the thumbs were on sale..." Also the pun in Jacqueline's name is pretty inspired - her entire thing is posing as the other mad scientists girlfriends to steal their inventions so her real boyfriend can pass them off as his own. One of those girlfriends, the one who used to be with Igor's late master and has since moved on to trying (unsuccessfully) to seduce Igor is named Heidi - Jacqueline, Heidi. Jeckyll and Hyde. Also the recurring gag with the blind orphans is cute.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
those grenade spears are officially called "Thunderpoons" according to the game.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sponge Baathist posted:

those grenade spears are officially called "Thunderpoons" according to the game.

Also my nickname in high school

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Something subtle occurred to me about the ending of Fury Road. No one in the Citadel knows what happened. They know something was up, but no one really knows if Furiousa was helping Joe or fighting him.Joe’s other son knows, but he’s in no position to mount a resistance.

Also I hope the lady who Rictus threw off the War Rig at the end survived and made it back to the Citadel. I feel bad that only two of that tribe survived.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krispy Wafer posted:

Something subtle occurred to me about the ending of Fury Road. No one in the Citadel knows what happened. They know something was up, but no one really knows if Furiousa was helping Joe or fighting him.Joe’s other son knows, but he’s in no position to mount a resistance.

Also I hope the lady who Rictus threw off the War Rig at the end survived and made it back to the Citadel. I feel bad that only two of that tribe survived.

She went under the wheels.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

oldpainless posted:

:perfect:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krispy Wafer posted:

wait i figured furiosa showing his corpse and the crowd rushing it showed them pretty clearly she was his replacement by assassination and that they werent exactly sad to see joe go anyway, plus i figured corpus colossus wasnt really that sad to see him go either

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I feel that it was fairly obvious. The king is dead, long live the king, kind of thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's probably more likely than my theory, but people rip apart the bodies of leaders they love during funeral riots. I'm not entirely sure everyone pulling Joe's body to pieces means they hated him.

In that final scene the War Pups are the ones pushing to lower the platform. Perhaps they were far enough removed from Immortan Joe's youthful exploits to not be shrouded in his cult of personality.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think they really have an armory. They literally farm the bullets by tilling the earth over an old army stockpile to dredge up the ammunition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

More like oldpinless.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Krispy Wafer posted:

EDIT: do they ever call Joe's wives by their names? Is Cheedo the Fragile ever actually said in the movie?

I swear I have a memory of one of the wives saying “she’s capable” when Capable volunteers to go to the back of the rig as lookout but I haven’t noticed it in any of my rewatches and it really bothers me because why would my brain make THAT up of all things

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Depressio111117 posted:

I swear I have a memory of one of the wives saying “she’s capable” when Capable volunteers to go to the back of the rig as lookout but I haven’t noticed it in any of my rewatches and it really bothers me because why would my brain make THAT up of all things

That was the person sitting next to you, "that's Chappie" style.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I liked in Fury Road that Max is such a force of destruction that the movie doesn't even go out of it's way to show what a badass he is; it's just an established fact of the setting. He goes off alone to deal with the Bullet Farmer, we see a massive explosion in the distance, he returns covered in blood and is confused why people are asking if he's hurt.

"That's not his blood."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Depressio111117 posted:

I rewatched it with the subtitles on and they mention all the wives' names. They're just said so quickly and naturally (as in no one is formally introduced) that you won't catch them on a first or second viewing.

Canemacar posted:

I liked in Fury Road that Max is such a force of destruction that the movie doesn't even go out of it's way to show what a badass he is; it's just an established fact of the setting. He goes off alone to deal with the Bullet Farmer, we see a massive explosion in the distance, he returns covered in blood and is confused why people are asking if he's hurt.

"That's not his blood."

In any other movie that would be a total cop out having all the action occur off screen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I had a shower thought the other day: "I bet the bartender in the Mos Eisley cantina yells "We don't serve their kind here!" when Luke tries to bring his droids into the bar because of something that happened to him during the Clone Wars with the droid army, so now he's a droid racist."

I looked it up on Wookieepedia and it turns out it's true!

quote:

His abiding dislike of droids stemmed from the death of his parents at the hands of battle droids during the Clone Wars

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That Mad Max moment is I am pretty sure lifted from a Samurai movie where one of them goes off then come back with a bunch of weapons covered in blood.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

That Mad Max moment is I am pretty sure lifted from a Samurai movie where one of them goes off then come back with a bunch of weapons covered in blood.

I have to imagine it has a deeper meaning in Fury Road. The Bullet Farm warlord was hitting them from a distance, not even really aiming. Max, in turn fights up close. He didn't just mow them down; he killed them with his bare hands.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

True, the close/far fighting style switcharoo has never been done in a samurai movie

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember Miller gave an interview saying that Max was more of a human cheat code than anything else. Basically, if max is on your side, you’re almost guaranteed victory.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Hollismason posted:

I remember in Seven Samurai when Kyūzō runs off into the night & comes back with 2 rifles, saying "Killed two."

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

oldpainless posted:

I remember Miller gave an interview saying that Max was more of a human cheat code than anything else. Basically, if max is on your side, you’re almost guaranteed victory.

Just at a massive cost to your people. Basically the entire leadership is killed off in Road Warrior. I mean, they were all on the distraction truck with Max, so there was already a big risk to them, but they all died.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

MichiganCubbie posted:

Just at a massive cost to your people. Basically the entire leadership is killed off in Road Warrior. I mean, they were all on the distraction truck with Max, so there was already a big risk to them, but they all died.

They were hosed completely without him though let's be fair

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

They were hosed completely without him though let's be fair

Reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1jZxJ8k3dg

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Feb 17, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had a shower thought the other day: "I bet the bartender in the Mos Eisley cantina yells "We don't serve their kind here!" when Luke tries to bring his droids into the bar because of something that happened to him during the Clone Wars with the droid army, so now he's a droid racist."

I looked it up on Wookieepedia and it turns out it's true!

It makes more sense that he doesn't serve droids because droids aren't going to buy anything and are taking up space that a paying customer could be using. This is just retconning to try to tie in A New Hope to the prequels.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The cheat code to enable Mad Max is 1st switch - 2nd & 3rd simultaneously - 1st switch, red switch, black switch and ignition switch.

MichiganCubbie posted:

While rewatching Road Warrior I thought that was weird. In the post-apocalyptic Outback, good leaders are hard to find. It seemed odd to sacrifice your most skilled people, like their mechanic, on a decoy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WampaLord posted:

This is just retconning to try to tie in A New Hope to the prequels.

Every Star Wars movie from Empire Strike Back onwards is retconning A New Hope. Remember how Obi Wan told Luke that Vader killed his father? Yeah nah.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

It makes more sense that he doesn't serve droids because droids aren't going to buy anything and are taking up space that a paying customer could be using. This is just retconning to try to tie in A New Hope to the prequels.

No retcon necessary in this case, Star Wars has always included themes of racism against the droids. One of the very first scenes is a literal slave auction. So yea I agree that the wookipedia article is stupid as is most of the stuff on that site.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Basebf555 posted:

No retcon necessary in this case, Star Wars has always included themes of racism against the droids. One of the very first scenes is a literal slave auction. So yea I agree that the wookipedia article is stupid as is most of the stuff on that site.

A slave auction where the protagonist haggles for C-3PO and R2D2 after one of the slave droids dies immediately after purchase.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

A slave auction where the protagonist haggles for C-3PO and R2D2 after one of the slave droids dies immediately after purchase.

It was a different time, okay? You're trying to moralize without historical context. Many of the droids enjoyed being slaves and the restraining bolts just made life easier for everyone.

Next you're going to say the stormtroopers were wrong to react when Uncle Owen reached into his robe.

#clonesmatter

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Coming up with an explanation for something that wasn't explained in the first place isn't a retcon or a plot hole or whatever. In Star War's case, it just almost always ends up being a stupid idea.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Feb 17, 2018

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Some nerdlinger has probably concocted a depressingly convoluted in-universe explanation for the blooper reals too, the complete implausibility of which is dwarfed only by the nerd's complete and utter failure to appreciate even the most basic fundamentals of passable storytelling

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Krispy Wafer posted:

The cheat code to enable Mad Max is 1st switch - 2nd & 3rd simultaneously - 1st switch, red switch, black switch and ignition switch.

While rewatching Road Warrior I thought that was weird. In the post-apocalyptic Outback, good leaders are hard to find. It seemed odd to sacrifice your most skilled people, like their mechanic, on a decoy.

The lie should be credible. See how Furiosa loses her safe passage deal with the canyon bikers because three major cities throwing their best warriors at her just isn't credible if she really is just transporting stolen gasoline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Every Star Wars movie from Empire Strike Back onwards is retconning A New Hope. Remember how Obi Wan told Luke that Vader killed his father? Yeah nah.

Also Obi Wan uses "Darth" as if it's a name, not a title.