Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

What if you work at a fancy cocktail bar?

More work, less money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I tried making a White Russian a couple of times, and when it comes to the cream, no matter how I pour it or which type of cream I use, it becomes flaky once it's in the glass with the rest of the drink. I tried both regular and heavy cream, and someone once recommended I tried whipping it a bit to make it float better, but once it comes into contact with the booze, same thing happens.

It's still tasty, it's just not very nice to look at.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You need to shake your White Russians. I fundamentally do not understand White Russians that involve floated cream. The entire point of cocktails -- especially those that are only three ingredients, such as this one -- is that they are a sum (and sometimes more so) of their parts. Layering is a gimmick for visual presentation that detracts from the experience of actually drinking the drat thing. Shake and strain over ice and you'll have a much more pleasant experience.

Also I just bought my first bottle of Batavia Arrack today and wow, what a unique spirit. My first reflex was to make a Negroni with it and holy cow. It's like bottled-in-bond rhum agricole. Wow. I see why the Death & Co. book says bartenders who meet it for the first time invariably fall in love with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is the rule to shake anything that has protein in it?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Is the rule to shake anything that has protein in it?

Yes, but that’s the first time I’ve seen to shake a White Russian. Ive seen the flaky appearance before and have wondered the same.

Maybe it’s correlated to my big question nowadays:
Why do some of my egg white cocktails not foam up as much as the others?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The Maestro posted:

Yes, but that’s the first time I’ve seen to shake a White Russian. Ive seen the flaky appearance before and have wondered the same.

Maybe it’s correlated to my big question nowadays:

What's your technique? Dry shake, then ice shake?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
It might be the ice solidifying some of the fat in the cream (i.e. butter).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I always dry shake first, but shiiiiiit it's been way too long since I made RGFs.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Speaking of the Ramos Gin Fizz, the flavor's great, but it sort of coats my mouth in an unpleasant way. I assume it's from shaking the poo poo out of the cream. I've only had the drink when I've made it myself, so I don't know if this is a common issue or some unique fuckup on my part. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

poop dood posted:

You need to shake your White Russians. I fundamentally do not understand White Russians that involve floated cream. The entire point of cocktails -- especially those that are only three ingredients, such as this one -- is that they are a sum (and sometimes more so) of their parts. Layering is a gimmick for visual presentation that detracts from the experience of actually drinking the drat thing. Shake and strain over ice and you'll have a much more pleasant experience.

Also I just bought my first bottle of Batavia Arrack today and wow, what a unique spirit. My first reflex was to make a Negroni with it and holy cow. It's like bottled-in-bond rhum agricole. Wow. I see why the Death & Co. book says bartenders who meet it for the first time invariably fall in love with it.

Can't really see any flecks in Cocktail Chemistry's stirred White Russian. There may be something in the lacing it leaves on the glass, but it's hard to tell, even at 4k.

Is it perhaps an issue of age of the cream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z6k9ZmjrXI

Of course when he upgrades the cocktail he shakes, so I'm not doubting that's the answer in general.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

poop dood posted:

You need to shake your White Russians.
Yeah, I may just start doing this. I got one last thing to try which is making it half cream half milk but not sure how that'll affect the taste.

The Maestro posted:

Origami Dali posted:

What's your technique? Dry shake, then ice shake?
The tip I got for foaming egg whites is to take out the 'spring' part of the strainer, latch the ends together so it forms an O and throw it into the shaker, it acts like a whisk of sorts. Haven't tried it myself yet, but the Pisco Sour the dude made came out amazing.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I always use a coil to help foam drinks. I don’t clip the ends together though. And with cream drinks, like an RGF, I shake with ice to chill the cream first. Then, dry with the coil and a third longer shake with ice to get it as cold as possible. I was also taught to chill the soda water gently with ice and put that in first in the Ramos

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I do a reverse dry shake for my egg white cocktails. RGFs come out perfect this way. Shake cocktail minus egg white with ice, strain into the smaller of your shaker tins, discard ice and rinse larger shaker tin thoroughly to ensure no ice bits are present, add egg white (to the shaker tin that doesn't have the cocktail in it, so if you accidentally get a shell bit or the yolk in there you don't have to remake the drink), shake all components together without ice for longer than you think you have to. Like a full minute. I've tried the removing-the-spring-from-your-Hawthorne-strainer thing and it makes no appreciable difference versus this method; just gives you another thing you have to clean when you're done.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are you putting the dairy or liquor into the shaker first? If you introduce the dairy to the liquor it can lead to that texture. I know that happened with my nog when I focused on the good stuff first.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Toast Museum posted:

I just caught this on a local bar's menu and couldn't help but laugh.

But when they serve the drink, do they briefly flash you a wallet-sized picture of a bottle of vermouth to frown angrily at?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Archenteron posted:

But when they serve the drink, do they briefly flash you a wallet-sized picture of a bottle of vermouth to frown angrily at?

I think I'm going there tonight, so I may find out! It's the least interesting item on the menu by a wide margin, yet I can't help but wonder if it's somehow more than a gimmick.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Bandit posted:

I always use a coil to help foam drinks. I don’t clip the ends together though. And with cream drinks, like an RGF, I shake with ice to chill the cream first. Then, dry with the coil and a third longer shake with ice to get it as cold as possible. I was also taught to chill the soda water gently with ice and put that in first in the Ramos

Most of the mythical techniques surrounding the RGF are bullshit. You don't need to dry shake it. You don't need to shake it for 2 minutes. Springs arent going to alter the drink at all, really. You just want everything as cold as possible. Just shake the hell out of it for 30 seconds, strain the contents into a frozen glass, pour a little cold soda water into the glass (just enough that the head rises to the edge of the rim), let it sit for a few moments, then pour a little more soda into the glass to rise the head.

Everything else is just for show. They can make for a fun show for a guest who is watching you make the drink, but they really don't matter.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

Most of the mythical techniques surrounding the RGF are bullshit. You don't need to dry shake it. You don't need to shake it for 2 minutes. Springs arent going to alter the drink at all, really. You just want everything as cold as possible. Just shake the hell out of it for 30 seconds, strain the contents into a frozen glass, pour a little cold soda water into the glass (just enough that the head rises to the edge of the rim), let it sit for a few moments, then pour a little more soda into the glass to rise the head.

Everything else is just for show. They can make for a fun show for a guest who is watching you make the drink, but they really don't matter.

Are you saying dry shaking is unnecessary for egg white drinks in general, or just the RGF?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is there a trick to making a really good old fashioned? Every time I try to make one myself it's noticeably worse than what I've gotten at a bar, in spite of using the same whiskey (Rittenhouse Rye BiB) and bitters (Angostura) I literally watched the bartender use. I can never hit the sweet spot of "smooth but still boozy as gently caress" and "cinnamon-spicy tasting without being too bitter/rough/whatever" that the good old-fashioneds I've had did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Aw man, nothing brings out insufferable cocktail nerdery like asking the best way to make an Old Fashioned. You just have to play around with it.

Do you use orange in yours at all? Are you muddling a sugar cube, or using simple syrup? There's no right or wrong way, but a lot of different things you can manipulate if your current recipe is too harsh, too spicy, too sweet, too fruity, etc.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Halloween Jack posted:

Aw man, nothing brings out insufferable cocktail nerdery like asking the best way to make an Old Fashioned. You just have to play around with it.

Do you use orange in yours at all? Are you muddling a sugar cube, or using simple syrup? There's no right or wrong way, but a lot of different things you can manipulate if your current recipe is too harsh, too spicy, too sweet, too fruity, etc.

Mine always tastes too harsh. Like the initial taste is nice, then in the "middle" it always tastes way too harsh, but then the finish is nice.

I'm starting with 1/2 to 1 tsp sugar, couple dashes of bitters and a splash of water. Dissolve the sugar, add 1 1/2oz rye and ice and an orange peel if I've got some handy.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got my hands on some Kahlúa, shook my White Russian instead of trying to mix it in the glass.

No flakyness, smooth all the way down.

:discourse:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

sean10mm posted:

Mine always tastes too harsh. Like the initial taste is nice, then in the "middle" it always tastes way too harsh, but then the finish is nice.

I'm starting with 1/2 to 1 tsp sugar, couple dashes of bitters and a splash of water. Dissolve the sugar, add 1 1/2oz rye and ice and an orange peel if I've got some handy.

Maybe a dumb question, but you're stirring your drinks on ice for aprox 30 secs and straining over large block ice, yeah?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but you're stirring your drinks on ice for aprox 30 secs and straining over large block ice, yeah?

This is what I was going to post. 90% of the issues with home cocktails are that they aren’t cold enough. Freeze your glassware, use more ice, stir more.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sean10mm posted:

You're always gonna get more consistency if you make a simple syrup instead of dissolving sugar in the drink. If you like a little grit in there, though, there's nothing wrong with that

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Are you saying dry shaking is unnecessary for egg white drinks in general, or just the RGF?

Just the RGF

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

Just the RGF

Because it's getting shaken a bit longer anyway, or what?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've stated before that I consider the theory behind dry shaking to be extremely tenuous, and I suspect the increase in cocktail quality to be marginal at best.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sean10mm posted:

Is there a trick to making a really good old fashioned? Every time I try to make one myself it's noticeably worse than what I've gotten at a bar, in spite of using the same whiskey (Rittenhouse Rye BiB) and bitters (Angostura) I literally watched the bartender use. I can never hit the sweet spot of "smooth but still boozy as gently caress" and "cinnamon-spicy tasting without being too bitter/rough/whatever" that the good old-fashioneds I've had did.

It sounds like the issue you're having is with dilution. Stir, stir, stir. Use plenty of ice.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Kenning posted:

I've stated before that I consider the theory behind dry shaking to be extremely tenuous, and I suspect the increase in cocktail quality to be marginal at best.

There was a big-rear end online debate between the bartenders in my city about this, and I do side with the dry then wet crowd, even if it is just due to additional agitation overall. It might be psychosomatic but I do get better quality foam from the initial dry shake than no dry shake or wet then dry (and the latter style had a great argument against it from a grand lady of cocktails- who said it was like stirring a flat beer to make it foamy, which makes sense to me since you get big ugly bubbles and they fall apart if you try to do bitters art).

Like I said, it could all be bullshit, but I make at least 10 egg white drinks a night and often 4x that on weekend nights and I do notice a difference between dry shake or when I'm on autopilot and do a wet shake (and then catch myself and just do a longer wet shake).

That said the spring thing is such bullshit and so much effort if you work in even a relatively slow cocktail bar, plus it fucks up perfectly good Hawthornes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Black Manhattans are real good.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

The Maestro posted:

I think deaths door famously only uses like 5 botanicals. My first thought was lavender, as that’s the one I find most prevalent and disagreeable in new American gins, but I don’t think deaths door uses that. My offhand guess would be coriander, because I also find that in a lot of gins, but I enjoy it.

Fennel will give you the licorice note and I bet it is used pretty sparingly. I’m just gonna go look up deaths door botanicals and come back.

Ruling out fennel and juniper leaves coriander as the other main botanical in deaths door’s triumvirate. Turns out they only use those three botanicals. Perhaps it’s the malt backbone that you dislike? Or heaven forbid, the juniper?

Edit: rereading your post, it’s almost certainly the fennel.

I wanted to say thanks for this — I think I could have figured this out myself through elimination and research, but :effort: and I hadn't realized Death's Door only used three botanicals. So, :tipshat:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

goferchan posted:

You're always gonna get more consistency if you make a simple syrup instead of dissolving sugar in the drink. If you like a little grit in there, though, there's nothing wrong with that

Hey, that gets me thinking, I should have said this earlier: I make my OFs with a turbinado simple syrup. That does sort of mellow out the whole cocktail, though I don't know what your bartender is doing.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Speaking of old fashioned’s I made some tonight.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

sean10mm posted:

Is there a trick to making a really good old fashioned?

Well, let me tell you that my personal taste is the best taste. It's not just good. The best, like I said. Other's might have good taste. Maybe even a really good taste. I don't know? It's what they say. But let me tell you this, my taste is a really, really good taste. The best taste. Others have said so as well.

This is the Tortilla Maker taste:

1 sugar cube
~ 0.75 oz water to muddle sugar cube with
2.0 oz Redemption Bourbon
4 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes Orange bitters

^ Makes the perfect 3 oz. pour.

Stir that in a cocktail glass.

Pour into your glass.

Twist an orange peel into your beauty (get those oils), then rub that peel along the rim (mmmm). Drop into your beauty (oh yeah). Add a Maraschino cherry (optional).

====

Don't have orange bitters? Try ~0.25 - 0.50 oz of Cointreau.

====

Want to be fancy?

Flame your orange peel.

====

Don't have a sugar cube?

Make simple syrup. Don't ask me how. My favorite bartender (:swoon:) makes it sans sugar cube and it's just as good, almost.

====

Don't have Redemption? You probably have Bulliet. No? Use your preferred bourbon (...or Rye). NO?! Just as beautiful with Scotch (:homebrew:).

====

:tipshat:

Tortilla Maker fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 18, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For something so (wonderfully) detailed did you accidentally omit the (very specific size and shape) ice, or is that how you take it?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Old fashioneds shouldn't have cherries :thurman:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

COUNTER POINT old fashioneds should be served with Brandy over a muddled orange wedge and sweetened by measurements of sugar packets with Sprite optional

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You just reminded me of this old chestnut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tWZDLQeq2I

All old fashioneds need a pint of Beam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

You just reminded me of this old chestnut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tWZDLQeq2I

All old fashioneds need a pint of Beam

That's how I made mine a few nights ago. I just skipped the bitters, cherries, orange slices, and sugar.