Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
However the weapon buff spells don't seem to be worth it, since they make enemies sometimes take waaay too long to register being hit.

I hope if they remake SD3 that doesn't happen again, because I loved playing as Sword, Thief and Amazon, have Sword buff his weapon, Amazon buff the party and Thief debuff the bosses, so I'd be doing tons of damage every swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

However the weapon buff spells don't seem to be worth it, since they make enemies sometimes take waaay too long to register being hit.

I hope if they remake SD3 that doesn't happen again, because I loved playing as Sword, Thief and Amazon, have Sword buff his weapon, Amazon buff the party and Thief debuff the bosses, so I'd be doing tons of damage every swing.

My little thing is how incredibly accommodating Seiken Densetsu 3 is considering it's long as hell and lets you pick 3/6 very, very differently specced characters. No matter which 3 characters you choose, you can almost always level up in such a way that your party will not get bodied constantly, and perhaps even more impressively, the storyline makes sense no matter who your leader and two followers are.

Basically, there are three main conflicts in the game's story, and the 6 characters you can choose from are from either the attacking country or the defending country of those 3 wars. Whichever character you choose as your lead will determine your main quest, boss, final area of the game, etc, but the other stories are still happening around you, and may affect your other 2 party members.

SD3 has replayability for days and an unbelievable soundtrack, plus it's really pretty for an SNES (okay, Super Famicom) game...not to mention FUN as hell to play. I would love to finally see an official US port.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm finally getting around to Yakuza 0 and it is very much my poo poo. I'd never played one before.

A little thing I love is how dialogue during spoken sections is handled. If you let it play, they will speak their lines back and forth smoothly with no input from you. But if you hit 'X', the conversation will pause at the end of that dialogue box. And you can just hit 'X' again to resume it like it was before. Also, all cutscenes are pausable, and many are skippable. Couple of little things making a great game better.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

The Chad Jihad posted:

Perfect dark had bots and tons of fun game modes and all sorts of options to tweak them, which is rare in general much less on a console

List of games with counter-op mode:

Perfect Dark
Shattered Steel
?????

Dying Light
Left 4 Dead

Arguably Dark Souls invasions.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Olaf The Stout posted:

Dying Light
Left 4 Dead

Arguably Dark Souls invasions.

Agent Hunt mode in Resident Evil 6 was extremely my poo poo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I loved the idea of agent hunt but I tried to play it as soon as I got the game and didn't realise how insane it was, so I was suddenly a zombie in a Chinese trap mansion and was deeply confused and Jake came round the corner and beat the poo poo out of me with a Marvel v Capcom combo string and then sent me a message calling me a human being, so I never played it again

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
That basically summarizes why RE6 got such bad reviews, there's a good game in there(with really lovely levels) that they never tell you how to play at all.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jukebox Hero posted:

That basically summarizes why RE6 got such bad reviews, there's a good game in there(with really lovely levels) that they never tell you how to play at all.

I think the major problem is they themselves didn't seem to quite know what game they were making (and I've heard development was kinda chaotic.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the major problem is they themselves didn't seem to quite know what game they were making (and I've heard development was kinda chaotic.)

It was really weird that after RE4 was so well received and loved by basically anyone that touched it particularly for dropping everything about Resident Evil except the vague premise. That they immediately rolled over and got knee deep in the stupid wesker-chris umbrella storyline and ended it in the dumbest way possible. Then doubled down on it in an even dumber fashion with RE6. I don't think too many people would have really been that broken up if RE5 had just been more RE4, really.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Jukebox Hero posted:

It's actually pretty fun, maybe just as a co-op game though. Playing through the entire game with a friend changed it from a game I likely wouldn't have touched into a game I loved.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally giving Dark Souls a second go (first time I didn't even make it out of the asylum). I'm only in Undead Burg and very slowly making my way through the game, bonfire by bonfire, learning piece by piece as I go. I love the way the game teaches you how to play, and how bonfires reset stuff so I can practice on easy mobs for a bit before diving further in.

I can see why people fell in love with the game, but I feel like if more people emphasized the lore and story that there was to unlock behind the unforgiving gameplay, way more people would've ended up into it. It wasn't till I watched a bunch of lore videos that I finally decided to come back and put in the effort to git gud

And man I love how punishing the enemies are. So far every time I've died it's because I put myself in a bad or unrecoverable situation--i mismanaged my stamina, or mistimed my attack, or moved into a position I couldn't maneuver out of, etc. I have to keep thinking two or three steps ahead and it's really addictive, it's like real-time chess almost. Bad analogy but it's the best I can come up with right now

:darksouls:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dark Souls 3 opens with a bossfight, and half way through it morphs into a giant Bloodborne beast-esque monstrosity. It's super cathartic and satisfying to kill. Then you go and kindle the bonfire at Firelink Shrine....which is weirdly like the Nexus from Demon's Souls, complete with someone who looks like the Maiden in Black as an old crone, with a replacement Maiden you can use to level up. The first real area is lined with statues that look a lot like Monumentals. I had heard this game is full of callouts to the rest of the Soulsborne series, and it's nice that even though I haven't beaten any of them or obsessed about the lore it's obvious enough that I'm picking up on some of these things.

(also those fungal people-on-stakes are freaky as hell, jesus)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
RE6 is really good if you love Mercenaries, that's the real meat of the game where it actually shines.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Finally giving Dark Souls a second go (first time I didn't even make it out of the asylum). I'm only in Undead Burg and very slowly making my way through the game, bonfire by bonfire, learning piece by piece as I go. I love the way the game teaches you how to play, and how bonfires reset stuff so I can practice on easy mobs for a bit before diving further in.

I can see why people fell in love with the game, but I feel like if more people emphasized the lore and story that there was to unlock behind the unforgiving gameplay, way more people would've ended up into it. It wasn't till I watched a bunch of lore videos that I finally decided to come back and put in the effort to git gud

And man I love how punishing the enemies are. So far every time I've died it's because I put myself in a bad or unrecoverable situation--i mismanaged my stamina, or mistimed my attack, or moved into a position I couldn't maneuver out of, etc. I have to keep thinking two or three steps ahead and it's really addictive, it's like real-time chess almost. Bad analogy but it's the best I can come up with right now

:darksouls:

TBH the lore is so ethereal and scattered that I don't think it works as a carrot to entice people to push further. There's a reason Youtube is full of endless hours of lore analysis videos after all.

I still maintain more people would've stuck with DS if the way to the Undead Burg was more prominent and the graveyard full of unkillable skeletons wasn't right there, waiting to be bumbled into. Once you're past that initial hump, the process of overcoming the 'Burg is a much better introduction to the game.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. When all you hear is "Dark Souls is hard, git gud," and then you stumble into a hard area full of skeletons, it's easy to think you just need to play better and not that you're hugely outclassed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Titanfall 2 is in the PSN flash sale and holy drat is it good. The one little thing I noticed with the guns so far that is really neat is reload animations can be interrupted. Run out of ammo, pop out the empty, punch a dude in the face who just showed up, and the reload animation picks up halfway through. Most games they’d do the whole animation over, but it makes so much more sense the way TF2 does it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

TBH the lore is so ethereal and scattered that I don't think it works as a carrot to entice people to push further. There's a reason Youtube is full of endless hours of lore analysis videos after all.

yeah i pretty much play dark souls solely because the gameplay is fun, the lore and narrative stuff being so spread out makes it extremely hard for me to care outside of 'oh i guess that's neat' when i hear about whatever overthought theories people have come up for why random x item is in random place y

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah i pretty much play dark souls solely because the gameplay is fun, the lore and narrative stuff being so spread out makes it extremely hard for me to care outside of 'oh i guess that's neat' when i hear about whatever overthought theories people have come up for why random x item is in random place y

Hell I totally had the wrong end of the stick when I first started playing - my first thoughts were thus: Nito's Miasma hosed up the land so hard it permanently poisoned it, burning a massive pit under where it originated that tunnelled under undeadburg, and having a similar effect on the inhabitants as nuclear waste hence the weird gross poop-morlocks and a dragon that looked like it should have died ages ago. Every aspect of that theory was totally wrong from the location to the cause of the corruption (at the time I hadn't heard about the Chaos Fire stuff causing Blighttown to turn inside out)

Although I never got past Anor Londo so most of what I know about the lore since then I got from LPs and discussion threads.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dewgy posted:

Titanfall 2 is in the PSN flash sale and holy drat is it good. The one little thing I noticed with the guns so far that is really neat is reload animations can be interrupted. Run out of ammo, pop out the empty, punch a dude in the face who just showed up, and the reload animation picks up halfway through. Most games they’d do the whole animation over, but it makes so much more sense the way TF2 does it.

Titanfall 2 has some of the best FPS multiplayer I've ever played. It's great.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Titanfall 2 has some of the best FPS multiplayer I've ever played. It's great.

Also a pretty decent single player campaign out of nowhere.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TontoCorazon posted:

Also a pretty decent single player campaign out of nowhere.

I miss when FPSs had those :sigh:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wish i had some ps4 titanfall friends

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell I totally had the wrong end of the stick when I first started playing - my first thoughts were thus: Nito's Miasma hosed up the land so hard it permanently poisoned it, burning a massive pit under where it originated that tunnelled under undeadburg, and having a similar effect on the inhabitants as nuclear waste hence the weird gross poop-morlocks and a dragon that looked like it should have died ages ago. Every aspect of that theory was totally wrong from the location to the cause of the corruption (at the time I hadn't heard about the Chaos Fire stuff causing Blighttown to turn inside out)

Although I never got past Anor Londo so most of what I know about the lore since then I got from LPs and discussion threads.

My favorite thing about the Dark Souls lore is that half the theories people put forth as absolute truth going on into 2 and 3 were just absolutely poo poo on as completely wrong. Especially since they got so, so mad about it any time someone didn't agree. People would argue about Solaire being a gwyn baby to the death and then 3 just comes out and is like "No, we were talking about this dude the whole time" and it was hilarious. I like reading people's individual interpretations of what happened, especially when they don't just go to a youtube channel and take it all as gospel. Nito single-handedly ruining the world might not be the most supported idea but it's a lot more interesting than hearing someone talk about playing the game for the first time and then just spout off a bunch of points from a youtube video verbatim.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dark Souls lore videos were cool at first because those youtubers were so obsessive theyd inevitably point out something I'd missed. Holy poo poo though, it feels like theyre just milking everything out of their bullshit theories ever since DS2 came out. I cant watch them anymore because it seems like its all unsubstantiated theorizing.

People getting mad at Solaire not turning out to be one of Gwyn's kids is hilarious though. They oughta git gud at Souls lore theorizing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dark Souls' lore being gone over with a fine tooth comb kills it. Game was written to be deliberately vague and second hand - everything being explicit strips the intrigue.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The video series that sucked me in was Vaatividya's channel. No clue how much is conjecture but the parts I've read about on the wiki seem pretty consistent with what he talks about

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Dark Souls' lore being gone over with a fine tooth comb kills it. Game was written to be deliberately vague and second hand - everything being explicit strips the intrigue.

I understand this opinion, but I disagree - I like seeing how much thought FROM baked into their world, and all the tiny connections that link these characters together. Sure some of it is probably wrong or not supported but enough of it is that I think it adds to the game as a whole.

That being said, it's also not intended for your first playthrough. I spent way too long with every Souls game, doing gimmick runs and PvP, so it helped maintain the fun over time to keep learning about the lore.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

:agreed:

it's good at establishing a neat tone to the games, reading item descriptions about long-lost mysteries or npcs talking vaguely about their history and chuckling darkly but laying out all the actual details and trying to force all the pieces to fit together doesn't really lead to anything compelling or evocative

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The video series that sucked me in was Vaatividya's channel. No clue how much is conjecture but the parts I've read about on the wiki seem pretty consistent with what he talks about

Like Blind Sally said, at first it was mostly just fitting pieces together based on item descriptions and things in the game. (Though there's a hilarious amount of drama over how much content was actually him and how much was him taking from people who had written huge blogs about it) But then a lot of them skipped most of Dark Souls 2 because B TEAM and all, so they just got crazy about Dark Souls. Now 3's been done and dusted for ages so the people who still care about making lore stuff up are just trying to grasp at whatever branch they can find however unsubstantiated in the game it might be. I saw one of Vaatividya's recent things because youtube recommended it and I was bored. It was half just meandering about nothing because there was nothing left to talk about, and the second half was just a long skype advertisement or something followed by him encouraging people to subscribe to his patreon on top of giving him advertisement bucks and youtube views.

Someone found some cut bloodborne bosses a while back and now all the SOULS LORE channels are milking the hell out of that. What could these garbage bosses the developers didn't include possibly mean for the deepest lore of this game? Please give us money.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The only thing I got from that is that you have a lot of contempt for people having fun with lore

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The only thing I got from that is that you have a lot of contempt for people having fun with lore

:shrug: If that's what you take away from "It was cool until they ran out of content and turned it into an advertisement circle jerk" then sure. I hate "fun".

Anyway, for some actual cool things in Dark Souls; because I'm actually reading items this time around instead of being a weirdo obsessively invading this belltower I've just noticed that the Dark Armor set, which in the first game was the Dark Wraith armor, is specifically mentioned as having belonged to a dude. Navlaan who is an NPC you meet. He's crazy and tries to kill you, or otherwise asks you to kill a bunch of NPCs. Dude's a dark wraith, neato.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

People's obsession with lore and canon always seems to be the opposite of fun for them, especially when it inevitably actively interferes with their consumption and enjoyment of new and future material. It's like the storytelling equivalent of people who obsessively do every collectible and side quest and achievement in a game and then complain that they're not having fun.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nuebot posted:

Dude's a dark wraith, neato.

No, he was a Gravelord.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Guy Mann posted:

It's like the storytelling equivalent of people who obsessively do every collectible and side quest and achievement in a game and then complain that they're not having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze08GiCi-iA

"Did you know that every boss character is directly related through a step-daddy? Sir Gregory the Dark step-dad is actually the familial patriarch of the entire Dark Souls universe. I have a 40 minute video about it. I figured it out while reading about some gloves."

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

sucking human souls out of nerds with my bare hands is one reason DS will always be great

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I got Nioh in the steam sale and you can find these little green guys called Kodama in every level. They've gotten lost and when you find one, the prompt is something like "Guide Back to Shrine".

William bends over and kinda points over his shoulder with his thumb like "It's over there" and then the Kodama waves and vanishes. It's a really cute animation in a very violent and scary game and I love it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze08GiCi-iA

"Did you know that every boss character is directly related through a step-daddy? Sir Gregory the Dark step-dad is actually the familial patriarch of the entire Dark Souls universe. I have a 40 minute video about it. I figured it out while reading about some gloves."
this owns incredibly hard (and is obviously canon)

little :darksouls: moments:

I've been learning the quirks of the lock-on system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NstgCN0SoM
:argh:

Too much paranoia can make you too jumpy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zohqPkV0g

feels good man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyiD62u-0t8
it's not cheap if it works

edit: I should note that outside of some gameplay videos and the lore stuff I'm going in blind, I don't know what the strats are for anything and relying on the soapstone messages and in-game text

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Feb 18, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

edit: I should note that outside of some gameplay videos and the lore stuff I'm going in blind, I don't know what the strats are for anything and relying on the soapstone messages and in-game text

This is the best way to play Dark Souls.

However, look up how to access the DLC. There's no way you'll work it out on your own and it's one of the best bits of the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While the explicit lore can be engaging, I always like the implicit world building that lets you figure small things out for yourself. Horizon's backstory is fantastic certainly, but something I found equally effecting was when exploring in the Embrace I found a tree trunk I could jump up so I started doing so seeing how far I could get - I got to a point where it levelled out and it was fun following it for a few seconds to see if there was an audiolog or something. There wasn't anything there of not, no reason to hop up that tree at all not even part of a later mission, but at one point I fell inside the tree through a small crack in the branch, and saw that it wasn't actually entirely tree at all - some of it was a rusted out subway train that had become so overgrown it was unrecognisable - I only knew what it was because they modelled the seats and grabbing handles in the interior, at a point you are not supposed to go to. The "crack" was actually jut the gap between the carriages. That was awesome. It pretty much defined my experience with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

samu3lk posted:

I got Nioh in the steam sale and you can find these little green guys called Kodama in every level. They've gotten lost and when you find one, the prompt is something like "Guide Back to Shrine".

William bends over and kinda points over his shoulder with his thumb like "It's over there" and then the Kodama waves and vanishes. It's a really cute animation in a very violent and scary game and I love it.

I picked up Okami and, uh, can I just put down "everything" as the little thing I like in this game? Everything apart from the kinda inconsistent double jump / autojump mechanic and that loving wooden tower thing in the first town? And Issun being a continuous horny jackass is kinda... well, it's a product of a time.

For little things in it that I do like, I am absolutely in love with the NPC animations. The squash-n-stretch head thing would definitely not work with modern graphics, but with the ultra-stylized ink wash thing they're doing it looks loving cute and it makes everything crazy charming. I was not expecting Okami, a game about a sun god trying to save a dying land, rendered in ink and old paper, to have so much physical comedy in it but it's occasionally really loving funny.