Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

A Sprinter is quite usable as an RV though, the tall roof means you can stand up and there’s a lot of room inside. A Transit Connect is a useful little vehicle, but it’s low height and overall small size means it’s not something you can really live in.

Yeah, even the work-spec Sprinters are still decent vehicles, aside from the known achilles issues with the drivetrain. The Transit on the other hand has all the build quality and soundproofing of an empty Beck's beer can, plus a horribly buzzy motor and a transmission made out of an old, poo poo-filled doghouse. Just look at the stupid promo pictures of their "SUV substitute". You can see all the steel on the back door. No one is going to trade in their Suburban or Land Cruiser on that pile.

I'm not anti-Transit, I really like it for what it is. It's fine to work out of and haul poo poo, but it's not a nice vehicle to be in by a long shot.

GlyphGryph posted:

:words: that don't use the OP template

Why do you need a giant van to haul around one three-year-old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I edited the post.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 11, 2018

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

curried lamb of God posted:

Sounds good, thanks! The Octavia 2.0 is about €1,000 more expensive than the Leon 2.0 (and conversely, €1,000 less than the Golf Variant 2.0), so I guess it depends on whether they think the extra room is worth it.

On a side note, I'm driving a rental BMW 118i and it's a bit underpowered but a ton of fun. I could talk them into looking at a 116d, but it's smaller than the MQB vehicles...

Update: they ended up ordering a (fully loaded) Renault Scenic :v:

Once they ended up actually looking at cars, my mom decided that she didn't like station wagons and instead wanted a small MPV. They tested the VW Sportsvan, Citroen Picasso and the Scenic, and liked the latter the most.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I edited the post.

Okay then at your price point and requirements, the last thing you want is a minivan. Cheap minivans, with almost no exceptions, have been absolutely HAMMERED their entire lives.

If you want more cargo space than a sedan and more room for a car seat than either a sedan or a hatch, a crossover is a good choice. If you find a reasonably well maintained example, I'd expect a $4-6k Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 to be relatively inexpensive to run.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I edited the post.

Thank you. That last jumble was confusing and your avatar made me suspect you were in the UK.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Okay then at your price point and requirements, the last thing you want is a minivan. Cheap minivans, with almost no exceptions, have been absolutely HAMMERED their entire lives.

If you want more cargo space than a sedan and more room for a car seat than either a sedan or a hatch, a crossover is a good choice. If you find a reasonably well maintained example, I'd expect a $4-6k Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 to be relatively inexpensive to run.

Yeah, a 3K minivan is going to be a Dodge with a transmission that's on fire, so don't do that.

I think OP's first step would be to drive some mid-sized Japanese sedans (Camry, Accord, ect.) and some small crossovers like a CR-V or a Forester. See whether they prefer the truck-ish driving position and height, or the lower-slung car style.

Then the usual advice of maintenance history being more important for a car of that age.

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 11, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

curried lamb of God posted:

Update: they ended up ordering a (fully loaded) Renault Scenic :v:

Once they ended up actually looking at cars, my mom decided that she didn't like station wagons and instead wanted a small MPV. They tested the VW Sportsvan, Citroen Picasso and the Scenic, and liked the latter the most.

loving lmao I hate the Scenic so much

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Maybe this thread can help me.

I recently got a job selling cars. Er... I say my job is selling cars, but since I have no prior sales experience and the only training I’ve gotten so far is “How to Greet People”, my list of responsibilities right now is basically “show up on time, greet people as they come in, gently caress around on SA and Wikipedia for 10 hours a day 6 days a week” because I haven’t been taught enough to actually sell anything... but that’s beside the point.

Anyway—and keep in mind I have no frame of reference to know this for sure, but—I’m here because my dealership seems to be having an uncharacteristically slow month, and I’m wondering why that is. Is there something going on that’s making people not want to buy cars right now?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not that I can think of. We are getting sorta close to the point where the model year is going to switch though. 2019 MY cars can start hitting lots in June/July, but increased incentives on 2018 models should keep traffic up.

Local economy has a lot to do with it. Anything change locally? When oil dropped the local fracking crews stopped buying 70,000 dollar Super Duty's as fast as they could make them, and inventory went up. There's a bunch of other factors that could be in play as well.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Maybe this thread can help me.

I recently got a job selling cars. Er... I say my job is selling cars, but since I have no prior sales experience and the only training I’ve gotten so far is “How to Greet People”, my list of responsibilities right now is basically “show up on time, greet people as they come in, gently caress around on SA and Wikipedia for 10 hours a day 6 days a week” because I haven’t been taught enough to actually sell anything... but that’s beside the point.

Anyway—and keep in mind I have no frame of reference to know this for sure, but—I’m here because my dealership seems to be having an uncharacteristically slow month, and I’m wondering why that is. Is there something going on that’s making people not want to buy cars right now?

So are you on commission or salary? Cause uh....

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

devicenull posted:

Proposed Budget: 25-30k max
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Thinking either 4 door hatchback or sedna
How will you be using the car?: ~20 minute each way highway commute to work, never really drive more then 1 passenger.
What aspects are most important to you? Manual transmission, reliability

I have a 2015 Jetta (essentially base model) where the lease is ending in a few months. I was looking for something with more power or more fun to drive.

I don't really need/want all the features, pretty much would be happy with bluetooth + heated seats.

I've been eyeing the GTI for awhile now, but my wife might end up getting one instead. BRZ is interesting looking, though I've never driven RWD before. I'm in NJ, so a few months of the year are usually snowy. I can't stand the hood scoop on the WRX. My parents have a Mazda3 sedan, and I didn't really fit in it too well. I'm only 6'1", but my head hit the ceiling.. is the hatchback any better?

Half my commute is on a major truck highway, so I don't really want something that I'm going to worry about every rock kicked up. My current windshield is covered in marks from that.

How terrible of a choice is a Focus ST? Drove one today, seemed pretty fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Is there something going on that’s making people not want to buy cars right now?
There's a lot that could, but if I had to give a reason I think the old "I'll wait for my tax return then upgrade" thing might be in effect.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

devicenull posted:

They're pretty great. Get one, enjoy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anybody know some good resources for reviews and specs on specific cars? Any particular YouTube channels or other websites I should check out? I’ve read the manufacturer sites, but I’m having a hard time remembering a lot of the stuff I saw on them, and I’m trying to learn enough about these cars to be able to sell them.

Unfortunately I can’t say what cars I’m selling cuz I don’t want people to find out where I work, so I guess just give me a bunch of stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

each brand has somewhere between 300 and 2000 franchise dealers in the USA so i think your lovely employer is probably safe. just say what brand(s) you are slangin

devicenull posted:

I have a 2013 ST3. It's a fun car, and a good value since you can get one for pennies these days. If the GTI with the performance pack had been out at the time, I would have gotten the GTI instead because I preferred the interior and packaging and the LSD.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

each brand has somewhere between 300 and 2000 franchise dealers in the USA so i think your lovely employer is probably safe. just say what brand(s) you are slangin

The problem is people on SA know where I live, and if I say what brands I’m selling then it’ll be pretty easy for some rear end in a top hat to narrow down what dealership I work for. I’ve had a Wiki slam page made about me and my forums activity, and even though that page is gone now (I think (I hope)), there are still people around here who find that funny, so I can’t take any chances anymore.

Also my boss’s boss is a scary man who will probably fire and/or sue me if he finds out I’m a goon (possibly) divulging intimate dealership poo poo on SA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

so far you've divulged that you work at a car dealership man that is some top secret poo poo

turnover in the industry is rampant and if you think anyone gives a gently caress about you or what you do at that store you are sorely mistaken

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

turnover in the industry is rampant and if you think anyone gives a gently caress about you or what you do at that store you are sorely mistaken

maybe not his employer, but you don't know goons.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anybody know some good resources for reviews and specs on specific cars? Any particular YouTube channels or other websites I should check out? I’ve read the manufacturer sites, but I’m having a hard time remembering a lot of the stuff I saw on them, and I’m trying to learn enough about these cars to be able to sell them.

Unfortunately I can’t say what cars I’m selling cuz I don’t want people to find out where I work, so I guess just give me a bunch of stuff.

Don't you have detailed brochures at work? I know Ford prints out pretty multipage books about each model and goes over the differences of the various trims.

I'm most familiar with Ford vehicles, so I'll use them as an example. Learning specifics isn't what I would focus on. You can always look up specific details. You do need to know broad options.

Things I would focus on

Vehicle Trim levels and the options that come with them. Many/Most manufacturers have a common set of trim levels across many of their vehicles. Going back to the Ford example, a common set of trim levels for their cars would be base, SE, SEL, Limited and/or Titanium. Knowing that you generally don't get leather seats on an SE, but you do on the SEL is helpful. Knowing the 2.0L Ecoboost engine is tuned for an extra 10HP and 20TQ in the Titanium is generally going to be less helpful.

If you're selling trucks, know your trim levels and cab and box options.

There's a lot to cars, if you're not a car guy focus on the stuff a non car person cares about. My wife cares less about our cars performance, and horespower, and more about the inflatable seatbelts, powerfold 3rd row, Apple CarPlay and the collision warning system. She cares not if it has 335 HP or 365HP.

The problem with a lot of car reviews, is they're reviewed from an enthusiast standpoint. Enthusiast are a small part of the market. Pretend you're selling a car to you mom, focus on what your mom cares about.

Also get in the cars, try to drive them if possible. Become familiar with your product.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Alex Dykes’s YouTube channel does detailed walkthroughs of cars, and most videos even have comparisons to similar models. Consumer Reports’s actual reviews are the most useful written resource, but CR is paywalled and have conservative tendencies w.r.t safety features, infotainment systems.

Edmunds is similar to CR but more neutral and with less detail. Car and Driver’s reviews are also useful, with a strong driving enthusiast bias.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Please help me pick a car!

Proposed Budget: $25000ish
New or Used: either or. It's got to be new enough to finance so probably 2013+
Body Style: at least 4 seats, not a sedan.
How will you be using the car?: commuting about 20 miles a day.
What aspects are most important to you? Fun to drive and comfortable. Decently reliable. Rear wheel drive and a manual transmission are a must.

I've got two kids, a 12 year old girl and a 2 year old girl. The vast majority of time spent driving the car will be alone, but occasionally I'll have the rest of the family with me with the kids in the back. More kids are not in the current plans.

I've had an RX-8 in the past and really liked it, but reliability and the fact that they haven't been produced since 2012 is a bummer.

I have also owned an FRS in the past and wouldn't be opposed to another one if the newer models are more comfortable (I'm 38)

Other cars I've owned: 3rd Generation Eclipse, VW Passat, NC Miata, Ford Fiesta ST, and my current VW Jetta GLI which will be going to my wife when I get whatever I get.

Other cars available with my wants seem to be the Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, and Genesis Coupe, but I don't know much about many of these (I did test drive an Ecoboost mustang with a manual and liked it) and I might be overlooking some cars in this segment. Anyone have any insight in these or other similar cars?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 17, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thermopyle posted:

I probably won't do anything with the information I glean from this thread with regards to the question I'm about to ask, but it's nice to dream...

Jalopnik had an article entitled I Want To Blow New Car Money On A Rad Ride From The '80s Or '90s! What Car Should I Buy? and it got me thinking that I'd like such a thing but I wouldn't want to spend that much.

Maybe something $15,000-$20,000.

When I was a teenager my dream car was an M3, so maybe that would be a good choice, but my assumption is that it would be a money pit.

On the other hand, anything kinda exotic and cool from the 80s or 90s is probably a money pit, but maybe something would be less so?

All of the cool options are either going to be terribly unreliable or terribly unreliable and out of your price bracket.

An early NSX would fit the bill, but last time I checked they were hovering around $35-50k or so for an example that didn't have 150k miles on it. 911 prices are dumb for anything that isn't a 996 or 997 (930s have gone from 10k to well over 30k in the last few years, 964s have been creeping up, 993s from lol to "you.... can't be serious, right?").

Like honestly for a project, your best best would be an FD RX-7 and swapping in an LS3 when the 13B gives up the ghost.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GutBomb posted:

What aspects are most important to you? Fun to drive and comfortable. Decently reliable. Rear wheel drive and a manual transmission are a must.

I've got two kids, a 12 year old girl and a 2 year old girl. The vast majority of time spent driving the car will be alone, but occasionally I'll have the rest of the family with me with the kids in the back. More kids are not in the current plans.

I've had an RX-8 in the past and really liked it, but reliability and the fact that they haven't been produced since 2012 is a bummer.

I have also owned an FRS in the past and wouldn't be opposed to another one if the newer models are more comfortable (I'm 38)

Other cars I've owned: 3rd Generation Eclipse, VW Passat, NC Miata, Ford Fiesta ST, and my current VW Jetta GLI which will be going to my wife when I get whatever I get.

Other cars available with my wants seem to be the Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, and Genesis Coupe, but I don't know much about many of these (I did test drive an Ecoboost mustang with a manual and liked it) and I might be overlooking some cars in this segment. Anyone have any insight in these or other similar cars?

If you're considering a Mustang, the Ecoboost is secretly the most terrible out of the group. The V6 isn't bad, but it's a Mustang get the 5.0.

BMW 3 or 5 series wagon? Or any of the coupes, I guess.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, my wife and I wanna get another car. I'm not an informed car buyer, please help me make a good choice!

We're in a 2010 Mercury Mariner now, and it's kind of a drag because it's FWD only, and we're in Colorado. It's not cutting it in winter, so we wanna trade it in.

Proposed Budget: $25k
New or Used: used
Body Style: 4 door SUV. Examples: Highlander, Land Cruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Xterra
How will you be using the car?: City commuting, driving to the mountains
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos: nope
What aspects are most important to you?

* Longevity and reliability
* AWD or 4WD
* Same length as Mariner (176 in) or smaller (we have a small garage)
* Bench seating in the back, room for camping paraphernalia
* Doesn't look girly (her words)

We might do a road trip to to see family in Illinois later this year, so we aren't necessarily constrained to buying in Colorado.

She wants an SUV, I would be fine with some kind of hatchback as long as it has AWD and ample space.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Your kids are going to get bigger and none of the back seats of the cars you are considering are very spacious. You should probably test them out with the larger kid.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Hi thread, my wife and I wanna get another car. I'm not an informed car buyer, please help me make a good choice!

We're in a 2010 Mercury Mariner now, and it's kind of a drag because it's FWD only, and we're in Colorado. It's not cutting it in winter, so we wanna trade it in.

Body Style: 4 door SUV. Examples: Highlander, Land Cruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Xterra

* AWD or 4WD

We might do a road trip to to see family in Illinois later this year, so we aren't necessarily constrained to buying in Colorado.

She wants an SUV, I would be fine with some kind of hatchback as long as it has AWD and ample space.

Do you have winter tires for your Mariner? They would cost about $1000 including a second set of wheels, and would fix the winter driving problem.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

* AWD or 4WD

Something like a Subaru Forester or Outback would do the trick for you.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Approximately everyone in Denver drives an Outback, XJ, Xterra, or Landcruiser.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I had an interesting experience with a customer today. First guy I’ve ever gotten to the finance phase with, even though I was watching another salesman actually do everything. Older dude, talked a lot and had some interesting stories but seemed a little... off. He told some jokes and one of them had the n-word* in it. Another one had the word “colored”. Then he told me one that started with “You know how a queer jacks off?” and he started yanking on the flap of skin under his chin, which...... I actually need some help with that one. Can someone explain that to me?

* Obligatory “HEY REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU POSTED THE N-WORD IN A SUPER BOWL THREAD 10 YEARS AGO BOY THAT SURE IS STILL FUNNY TODAY” because some rear end in a top hat is gonna bring that up, they always do I can’t escape it :cripes:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 17, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: NEVERMIND

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 17, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Is the Subaru Crosstrek good?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Is the Subaru Crosstrek good?

The Crosstrek is smaller and slower than the Forester, but "good" is a relative term. See which one best fits your needs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

he started yanking on the flap of skin under his chin, which...... I actually need some help with that one. Can someone explain that to me?
Fellatio.

quote:

* Obligatory “HEY REMEMBER ...
Uhhh, the pepe-inspired avatar doesn't exactly do you any favors either.

I'm thinking it may be time for "A/T: Stories from the Racist Grandpa Autogroup-- Will the Prius make me :gay:"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It looks like I may be moving to a more mountainous area (Switzerland) pretty soon and if it comes off I am going to need to buy a car there fairly rapidly. I've been living in London so haven't needed a car in 15 years but this is going to be a different situation.

Proposed Budget: CHF25k (about the same as in USD)
Body Style: coupe probably
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, driving to the mountains
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos: I'd just like it to have a decent sound system and probably parking sensors

I'd like it to be reasonably fun to drive though I go a lot more sedately than I used to. It's going to need to be a hard top because of getting loving cold in winter. Critically it needs to be able to get a bicycle in it, wheels off is fine but a key function will be getting my girlfriend to track races. No kids, really just the 2 of us and I would like a coupe or sports car style because why not.

I think I basically want a previous generation Audi TT and probably a 4WD version. Cars and everything else are more expensive in Switzerland and it looks like a pain to import from the EU, but 25k looks to get a 5-6 year old quattro TT with 60000km on the clock.

Further up the thread people were saying 4WD is a bit pointless but it seems like a reasonable idea in proper mountains and snow, is that correct?

Are there other cars that would fit the bill that I should think about?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can fit a bike in a TT with the wheel off but not much else is going in there. If you get a convertible forget it.

The Quattro on a TT is not a proper 4WD setup, it’s AWD and anything you encounter that would require 4WD would be impossible in a TT because of the low ground clearance.

Short version, if it’s all paved roads in good condition, it’ll be a tight squeeze for the bike but otherwise doable. I’d just get a roof rack.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Proposed Budget: ~$45,000 USD
Financial info: My wife and I make around $200k a year combined and put a lot into savings and retirement plans. I have been student loan free for the last year and we're making a $30k payment this week to finish off my wife's loans completely. Our only debt is ~$200k on a mortgage. House value is ~230-250 so we're fine on that.
New or Used: Prefer New
Body Style: Sedan. Prefer full size as I am looking for the ability to fit 2 car seats and still fit in the driver seat (I'm 6'1", 6'2" on my tinder profile)
How will you be using the car?:
• I normally work from home, so the rare commute to the office(20 miles in traffic)
• Picking up children from daycare(2 minute drive)
• Longer roadtrips(100 miles ~6xYear, 350miles 2xYear)
• Normal around town, I live in the suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota
What aspects are most important to you?:
• Does not want to make me gouge my eyes out(Previous Fun Vehicles are AW11 MR2(Still own) and Mazdaspeed 3(Trading in)) - I also have ridden motorcycles for 15 years, currently own an FZ-09
• Automatic - I don't drive if I've had a drink and neither my wife nor my 6 month old daughter have an interest in driving a manual so we normally take the wife's car.
• Heated/Nice seats - Minnesota
• Can fit a family (Currently 3, will be 4 in the next 3ish years) We will not have more than 2 children.

I'm looking currently at nicely optioned 2017/8 Charger Scat Packs. I've always driven more nimble cars, but I don't assume 2 adults and 2 car seats are going to fit into anything nimble. The wife will get an SUV, so I want to avoid it on my end. Is there anything glaring that I am missing? Should I look at a Giulia/3-Series/A4 or are they too small? I test drove a Fusion Sport but was unimpressed with how it drove(Mainly the transmission). What's in my blindspot because I'm either really missing something obvious, or I'm overestimating how long fiv hunnert horsepower will keep me entertained. I might also be underestimating interior feel in the long term, but I've never owned a nice car(I did own a 1984 Lincoln Towncar so not entirely true if i didn't own it in 2001)

Edit: I also need to say, I am PERSONALLY OFFENDED by the Chevrolet Impala steering wheel.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 19, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Get a Chevy SS with a manual (or an auto, i guess, but I bet the manual will have amazing resale). This will probably require going used, but if you find a new one you will either get an amazing deal or pay $texas. Dunno which.
I'm not sold on Chrysler build quality, though the Charger may be better than most. I dunno how the 8-speeds are on the Chryslers for durability.

Don't buy an alfa. At 6'4" I don't fit in an audi A3 without a child seat. Golfs are surpringly roomy though, and the Golf R is pretty interesting now that you get a 6 year warranty B2B on them (2018 and newer only). And despite it being a VW, probably more reliable than an STI (pistons) or Focus RS (headgaskets, which some people say are fixed, but I'm not sold) too. The golf is bigger inside too. I'd totally try it out with a baby seat. Also, you don't need AWD for winter, but it is fun as gently caress.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

It looks like I may be moving to a more mountainous area (Switzerland) pretty soon and if it comes off I am going to need to buy a car there fairly rapidly. I've been living in London so haven't needed a car in 15 years but this is going to be a different situation.

Proposed Budget: CHF25k (about the same as in USD)
Body Style: coupe probably
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, driving to the mountains
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos: I'd just like it to have a decent sound system and probably parking sensors

I'd like it to be reasonably fun to drive though I go a lot more sedately than I used to. It's going to need to be a hard top because of getting loving cold in winter. Critically it needs to be able to get a bicycle in it, wheels off is fine but a key function will be getting my girlfriend to track races. No kids, really just the 2 of us and I would like a coupe or sports car style because why not.

I think I basically want a previous generation Audi TT and probably a 4WD version. Cars and everything else are more expensive in Switzerland and it looks like a pain to import from the EU, but 25k looks to get a 5-6 year old quattro TT with 60000km on the clock.

Further up the thread people were saying 4WD is a bit pointless but it seems like a reasonable idea in proper mountains and snow, is that correct?

Are there other cars that would fit the bill that I should think about?

Your coupe requirement and fitting a bike requirement are diametrically opposed so you need to consider which one matters more to you. Since you say "probably" after coupe I will assume that matters less to you in which case you should consider, in no particular order:

Golf R (or any of the other brand variants)
Audi A3
BMW X1/X3
various Volvo XCs
Subaru WRX

It really depends on where you are living in Switzerland, as well. If you're just poking around Zurich or Bern or Geneva or the northern flatter bits or sticking primarily to motorways you don't need AWD for the daily commute. If you're traveling passes or on to A-roads with a lot of elevation changes, it's a good idea.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your coupe requirement and fitting a bike requirement are diametrically opposed so you need to consider which one matters more to you.
Maybe a trunk mounted bike rack could work. Toodle around town in a zippy coupe without the rack and strap it on when needed.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

CannonFodder posted:

Maybe a trunk mounted bike rack could work. Toodle around town in a zippy coupe without the rack and strap it on when needed.

Trunk mount racks are a hassle, and although hitch mounts are better, your girlfriend will hate you forever if her track bike gets slathered in road dirt, and when wet, gets the bearings contaminated too.

You need to fit it inside, plus other gear. If you're both short I can see a hatchback working, maybe?

Did they really sell the Volco V70 R (P2) into 2010 in Europe?!

https://m.autolina.ch/en/auto/volvo-v70/1610436

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blitter posted:

Trunk mount racks are a hassle, and although hitch mounts are better, your girlfriend will hate you forever if her track bike gets slathered in road dirt, and when wet, gets the bearings contaminated too.

You need to fit it inside, plus other gear. If you're both short I can see a hatchback working, maybe?

Did they really sell the Volco V70 R (P2) into 2010 in Europe?!

https://m.autolina.ch/en/auto/volvo-v70/1610436
Ah, I've just seen them around, I didn't know about the hassle or think of the possibility of the bike getting junked up back there. It was just an idea.