Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Trapezium Dave posted:

Surely that's a bad Genesis quote to draw attention to if you're trying to argue that everything in that book is literally true.

Nope, Biblical literalists believe that early humans lived for hundreds of years, but over time, our lifespans shortened because of original sin. Biblical figures like Adam and Noah are directly stated to have lived over 900 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pakled posted:

Nope, Biblical literalists believe that early humans lived for hundreds of years, but over time, our lifespans shortened because of original sin. Biblical figures like Adam and Noah are directly stated to have lived over 900 years.
But in that one specific verse, Genesis 2:17, God clearly says to Adam that if he eats the fruit of the tree of knowledge he will die that same day. Instead he curses Adam to be a mortal farmer and he lives for ages, which is a rather non-literal interpretation of "death".

edit: I'm re-reading Genesis and I'd forgot that the reason God limited human lifespan to 120 years was because angels kept sleeping with all the mortal women.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 17, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

But in that one specific verse, Genesis 2:17, God clearly says to Adam that if he eats the fruit of the tree of knowledge he will die that same day. Instead he curses Adam to be a mortal farmer and he lives for ages, which is a rather non-literal interpretation of "death".

Oh, God meant "the moment you eat it is the moment you become susceptible/doomed to death". "On that day you will die" is figurative language (that God literally spoke).

At least, that's the understanding I think I remember being taught in Catholic school.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

edit: I'm re-reading Genesis and I'd forgot that the reason God limited human lifespan to 120 years was because angels kept sleeping with all the mortal women.

The old Testament is great in the way old mythology is.

Also I presume that goes for the more human angels and not the ones that look like flaming wheels with eyeballs. Yikes.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Is there a particular reason why the After Eden guy always draws the fruit of knowledge as the Gum Gum Fruit from One Piece or is just a coincidence?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They're actually doing it. Using a school shooting as an excuse to cover Trump's rear end.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

There we go. He turned his dumb nutella comic into a dogwhistle comic.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Oh goody! Let's go be aimless and depressed (that Trump isn't using dogwhistles to put a fig leaf on all the racism, etc) while IN SPACE!

Again!

Pants Donkey posted:

They're actually doing it. Using a school shooting as an excuse to cover Trump's rear end.

I want a what-if machine to see what the reaction would have been if the FBI had detained a Trump supporter that hadn't yet murdered anyone.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I bet rightwingers are :psyboom:ing over those bolt action submachine guns.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pants Donkey posted:

The FBI tip? Was there something more concrete, like "this guy said he was going to shoot up the school"? Last I heard it was a bunch of red flags but nothing actionable, and certainly not something the FBI could swoop in on and just arrest a citizen for. I didn't realize there was worse.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

"Let's settle our grudges by talking about how both sides are just as bad(but really Dems are worse) in space!"

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that exactly how it works.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

holy gently caress a Planned Parenthood Is A Ludicrously Evil Scheme To Harvest Baby Parts And Sell Them For Profit And I Am A Literal Goddamn Grown loving Adult Who Somehow Has No Problem Fully Believing This Awful Nonsense cartoon in the year 2018 :psypop:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I mean I always knew Varvel was a dick but I thought he was just kind of a boring idiot who does clumsy wasp-grandpa-on-facebook style bigotry, this is some next level poo poo. Did something happen recently to bring this particular anti choice conspiracy theory back into focus, or did he miss that it was a dogwhistle in the first place and he's just obliviously wondering why his people suddenly stopped caring about No More Baby Parts ages ago, or what? What the gently caress.

e: OK I took a closer look and it's a re-run of a 2015 toon so I'm assuming he's doing a McCoy and running with an implicit "women having access to reproductive healthcare -> CULTURE OF DEATH -> mass shootings" message

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 17, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
She has mastered the weekend.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

The Big Word posted:

e: OK I took a closer look and it's a re-run of a 2015 toon so I'm assuming he's doing a McCoy and running with an implicit "women having access to reproductive healthcare -> CULTURE OF DEATH -> mass shootings" message

I got it from Political Cartoons' Twitter page, where it was posted yesterday afternoon.

https://twitter.com/PolToons/status/964610389106454528

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

It’s not
Amazing or anything but
I kinda love this one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Forgive my ignorance, but exactly how many gun control laws are on the books right now?

p.s. gently caress you Branco.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mikl posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but exactly how many gun control laws are on the books right now?

p.s. gently caress you Branco.

It’s like “tax reform” or “citizens united”, opposite double speak to what you really intend

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Jagged Jim posted:

Is there a particular reason why the After Eden guy always draws the fruit of knowledge as the Gum Gum Fruit from One Piece or is just a coincidence?

Lietha's super nuts about his selective brand of Biblical literalism. He doesn't want to draw it as a specific real fruit because nobody knows what fruit it was and speculating about Biblical Truth is wrong (unless it's about homosexuality or women's rights or kids these days). According to the website, he tried to make it look like a symbolic hand grenade. It's the same thought process that led to building the full-size model of Noah's Ark in Kentucky.

I'm utterly confident that Lietha has never read or even heard of One Piece. One time he called out Hallmark for being subversively liberal.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Pants Donkey posted:

I like the idea that 100% of FBI's current resources goes into the Russian investigation. Clearly that is a completely rational thought.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Shouldn’t the bird be a fat stupid turkey?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Adam and Eve eating from the fruit sperated them from God, making them die spirtually, not physically. They disobeyed a direct order from God, so they weren't as connected to him as they were before.

Genesis is a pretty fascinating book, and there's lots of research done on it by theologians and philopshers over the centuries. Bascially the point of the book is that humans are pretty awful and become greedy, cowardly and violent if given half a chance, but God wanted the species to survive despite the flaws because he loved them, and that we have to work to overcome the worse parts of our nature and draw closer to God, rather than just giving into our base instincts.

Why does the After Eden guy only ever talk about Genesis and not the other 65 books of the Bible?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

The FBI tip? Was there something more concrete, like "this guy said he was going to shoot up the school"? Last I heard it was a bunch of red flags but nothing actionable, and certainly not something the FBI could swoop in on and just arrest a citizen for. I didn't realize there was worse.

From what I've seen they also didn't alert the head of the local branch who could have maybe kept a closer eye on the situation. I mean would it have prevented it? Don't know but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OldMemes posted:

Why does the After Eden guy only ever talk about Genesis and not the other 65 books of the Bible?

Because his whole deal is "answers in genesis". All the answers are in this single book.

:umberto: posted:

As a consequence, there can be no advancement of learning. Truth already has been spelled out once and for all, and we can only keep interpreting its obscure message.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

I like the idea that 100% of FBI's current resources goes into the Russian investigation. Clearly that is a completely rational thought.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Pants Donkey posted:

Not to cape for the FBI, but what could they even have (legally) done? Last I knew there were no regulations that let you confiscate someone's weapons because of a violent behavior profile. That's kind of the whole point of the regulation a lot of people want.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wonder how noted domestic violence commiter Mike Lester would feel if a federal agency started taking pre-emptive action against citizens with violent behavior profiles. Particularly if it were somehow to turn out that folks who post criminally insane poo poo online tend to be Trump voters. Obviously he'd applaud it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lester really trying his damndest to steal Branco's "Biggest, Most Deliberate Goddamn loving Idiot" title.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the stretching property ladder – New research shows rising house prices have reduced home ownership among the young by half in 20 years" After Fuseli.

Telegraph:

Independent backlog:

Homeless man dies on 'doorstep' of Houses of Parliament

After Magritte.

The i paper:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

From 2003

The Iraq war is an umbrella that the Dems refuse to use.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My understanding is the failure to investigate literally occurred at the call center that first took the warning.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Holy mother of God Collins is good

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VitalSigns posted:

They believe in the myth that armed gun owners would stop all the shootings if there weren't all these gun laws which criminals ignore but upstanding patriots tragically obey.

This myth doesn't apply to those other cases, you don't need a gun to save your life from a drug overdose or an abortionist, although I'm sure the gun manufacturers' lobby is working on a way to mandate guns be sold to fetuses so they can protect themselves from their murderous slutty abortion-loving moms.

The iconary of The Wild West is one of the biggest issues for why the boomers and their specific cultural poison are so fixated on the ideal of a gunman hero. A frontier settlement is a libertarian paradise when you think about it, you can shoot up a bunch of people in a town, move across lawless and uninformed territories and wind up in another small town as a respectable person who just brought a lot of new money that we won't question where you got it. Except the funny thing about those days is that the "bad guys" - AKA your land grabbers, your bank robbers, gently caress maybe even bushwhackers could be lauded even more than your lawmakers and upholders, federal marshal or otherwise. So they basically pine for anarchy of the gun, where death can be unquestioned and just an every day occurrence that was okay because he weren't from around here or whatever.

Except that most of our dwindling perception of those times was a goddamn tsunami of lies built upon tall tales, built upon remembering who we're speaking of and accrediting one person's deeds with another, built upon justifying murder or whatever. But as long as we keep letting guns flow freely and deregulate everything, it'll be okay! When all of society loves gun enough, John Wayne will descend from NRA heaven and take care of us and never abuse power!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've already said this, and recently, but man the Brittoons involved a lot more giant images of naked old fat man than I really needed on my monitor this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS