Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
I think the most 1986 thing about this game so far is that WARPAC weapons are the challenge mode. Having said that, when do I get my VSS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Yesssssss. I did up a squad of parts mixed from the Empire Free Company Militia box, the Cadian Imperial Guard box, a Tau box and some Catachan bitz/other random poo poo I had laying around, like Necromunda autoguns, I think. Its supposed to be the crew of a rogue trader vessel, complete with scavenged Tau xenotech and a Tau crew member out of armor. I was going to use it to represent a Imp. Guard veteran squad with autoguns. I don’t do the ‘hams no more, tho.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
But do you still have pictures?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

JcDent posted:

But do you still have pictures?

I’ll have to dig the bastards out of the shed later and take a few shots.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Rangers Lead The Way
After you disable the Gaskins, the Americans greenlight their first airborne deployment to São Jorge. Small days and the need to get some pathfinders onto the island cause small delays, but three days after your last mission you're tasked with reconnoitering the LZs. C130s come in slow and low under the SA-3 engagement flood and hundreds of US Rangers set their feet on Portuguese soil. For you, the next few days are fairly uneventful, but the Rangers are busy capturing São Jorge airport and hunting down the eastern SA-3 batteries. The sound of C130s coming in for landing become familiar as the Americans bring in more and more equipment for their assault on Faial and Pico.

A week after your initial deployment to the Azores, a Ranger (Sgt Howe) comes by carrying a large crate. Somewhat disappointingly, he's not here to buy a round of beers for you, but instead hands over a squad's worth of headsets and a backpack radio. Communications between FACCT units in field and the Rangers have been difficult, and this is supposed to simplify the whole matter. With that done, he's off duty and in the spirit of camaraderie cold ones are cracked open and you get to talking.

Because of the low altitude of the jumps, the Americans have taken a few more sprained ankles and broken shin tibias than they expected. Howe mentions that as a result, they have literal tons of equipment they don't have any use for, and he thinks he can get some of it sent your way. He doesn't really explain whether he means he'll get an officer to do an official transfer of material or whether he'll nick it and leave it at your doorstep, but why look a gift horse in the mouth?

"So," he asks, "what do you want?"

Four M4A1 carbines with red dot sights

A platoon's worth of modern digital camouflage

Stealth bonus: +4

Four Ranger Body Armor vests with ballistic plates

A HMMWV

It can carry the entire squad and has a pintle mount that can take your MAG or the M2HB.

A heavy machine gun with a tripod and lots of ammo

An M224 60mm mortar with a crate of 10 HE bombs

Ten M15 White Phosphorous grenades

(And 3x 60mm WP shells if you get the mortar.)

20 lbs of Demolition Charges

The fuses can have timers fitted in the field (Arm Time: 120) or before a deployment (Arm Time: 3). The charge can be placed and detonated from a distance, and can be used as an expedient mine, a breaching charge, or thrown like a grenade.

Ten M406 40mm HEAT grenades and ten M576 40mm shotgun munitions

Four M4A1 carbines with M203 grenade launchers fitted

THE VOTE
You can get at most four things. Prioritize what you want from highest to lowest. You can vote for more than four things!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh dear god the boys are getting WP! Everybody run to the ocean and try swimming for safety!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Camo
M4 w/M203
Mortar
HMMV
Heavy Machinegun

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

1) Carbines with sights
2) Camo
3) Carbines with launchers
4) Humvee
5) Ma Deuce

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

1. M224 60mm mortar with 10 HE mortars.
2. A platoon's worth of modern digital camouflage
3. 4x M4A1 with red dots.
4. M2HB HMG
5. 4x M4A1 with M203 GL
6. WP grenades and mortars.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
1. M224 Mortar
2. 4x M4A1
3. 4x M4A1 with M203
4. Camo

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Do the M203s come with any grenades? It doesn't look like they do from the description, but I may have missed something.

1. Camouflage
2. 4x M4A1 w. M203
3.4x M4A1 w. CCO
4. 40mm HEAT grenades + shotgun rounds
5. Demo Charges
6. HUMVEE
7. M2HB
8. Mortar

LatwPIAT posted:

32 uniforms.
The M203s don't come with grenades, but are compatible with the 40x46mm grenades you already have for the HK69A1.

Thanks! Correcting my vote.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 17, 2018

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
How many outfits are in a "a platoon's worth of digital camouflage" exactly? 5, 10, 20, 40, 80, 120,...?

Because at the moment there are 10 of us and getting 40 or so uniforms seems a bit much.

1. 4x Ranger body armor + plates
2. HMMWV
3. Mortar + HE
4. Digital camouflage

1) We'd have the option to put good protection on 5 out of 10 people.
2+3) A chance to train in special skills (if I remember right)
4) It would be nice to be harder to spot. Even though it doesn't actually do a lot anymore once the shooting starts.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Pea posted:

How many outfits are in a "a platoon's worth of digital camouflage" exactly? 5, 10, 20, 40, 80, 120,...?

32 uniforms.

PenguinSalsa posted:

Do the M203s come with any grenades? It doesn't look like they do from the description, but I may have missed something.

The M203s don't come with grenades, but are compatible with the 40x46mm grenades you already have for the HK69A1.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Here are my thoughts on what we can vote for. These are purely my thoughts, and are barely mechanically motivated.

LatwPIAT posted:

I wouldn't mind these for a poor-man's "DMR", given that we probably won't need an actual DMR for these small maps. However, adding "yet another assault rifle" to our inventory may just lead to confusion.

LatwPIAT posted:

Wait, what were we going around in before? Bright green fluorescent t-shirts?! You can buy cheap copies of these at outdoors stores!

LatwPIAT posted:

I wouldn't mind these, but others have complained about weight concerns. We can always skip the plates, though, if you're really concerned.

LatwPIAT posted:

A HMMWV

It can carry the entire squad and has a pintle mount that can take your MAG or the M2HB.
Well, if we get this, we can turn over the SA-9s to intel for maximum benefits, without having Eukie tear her hair out over how to make them into technicals.

LatwPIAT posted:

Out of character, this thing is ludicrously heavy and only really useful if we also get the vehicle. In character, Carwash is drooling and going "GIMME GIMME GIMME!"

LatwPIAT posted:

Might be useful in the long run if we get training for it, but again, the maps are just too small for it to be used effectively.

LatwPIAT posted:

We haven't even used our frag grenades! Not sure if we'll ever really use these.

LatwPIAT posted:

The fuses can have timers fitted in the field (Arm Time: 120) or before a deployment (Arm Time: 3). The charge can be placed and detonated from a distance, and can be used as an expedient mine, a breaching charge, or thrown like a grenade.
Highly mission dependent. If we get assigned to destroy more hardened targets, these could be useful. If not...

LatwPIAT posted:

More grenades might be nice, but are these grenades what we need? I genuinely don't know.

LatwPIAT posted:

Not a bad idea for grenadier types, but again, "yet another assault rifle".

LatwPIAT posted:

THE VOTE
You can get at most four things. Prioritize what you want from highest to lowest. You can vote for more than four things!

Given all of the above, I vote for...
Priority 1: Camo
Priority 2: HMMWV
Priority 3: M2HB
Priority 4: Ranger body armor
Priority 5: 40mm grenades
Priority 6: M4A1s with Red Dot Sights
Priority 7: Demo Charges

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

M2HB
HMMW
ranger plates
cammies

IMO we're set for small arms and we need to primarily focus on expanding our support arms repertoire. Mortar is a bit outside our repertoire though.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 16, 2018

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Ma Deuce
Hummvee

Let’s keep the one working Gaskin and fully embrace our destiny—as the world’s premier dealers in mischief and mayhem.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Alright, time for a breakdown effortpost:

LatwPIAT posted:

Against our main rifle:

And our one-off Space Rifle:

The M4 is definitely better than the FNCs and marginally better than the AUG. The loss of two lbs of weight is not to be sniffed at, the higher RoF is very nice and the rapid aiming is even better than the AUG's. The loss is in a little precision, with worse sustained fire controllability and wider arcs of fire, and in lethality. On the other hand, getting hit by bullets is plenty lethal already in PC and I'm not convinced that the decrease in DC and PEN is going to make that much difference. If you want someone dead right away you should fire one of the MGs at them anyway.

Conclusion: Good
Recommended role: New main rifle, supplemented by the AUG, the MGs and some lighter weapons for the grenadiers

LatwPIAT posted:

This doesn't sound like that great an option until you remember that so far both of our operational plans have relied upon sneaking into position using brush cover and both plans have immediately gone to poo poo because brush cover isn't magic in PCCS like it is in Assassins Creed. So far we've dug ourselves out of the resulting frontal firefights against opponents in good cover through luck and poor enemy training. We cannot rely on either in future, so if we're going to keep trying to infiltrate into position we're going to need these. Also, according to orcbuster, modern US camouflage clothing is fire retardent, provides thermal shielding and the Marine pattern might even tie your shoelaces.

Conclusion: Excellent
Recommended role: Clothing. Yes, you do all have to wear it. Keep the rest stored because getting blood all over the patterns probably reduces their effectiveness and the stains and holes discourage the replacement troops.

LatwPIAT posted:

Ehh. Ehh. We've already done the whole "Spend all of our money on armour" thing in the last round and I'm actually reasonably happy with the stuff we have now. Big old plate carriers will slow us down a lot.

Conclusion: Poor

LatwPIAT posted:

A HMMWV

I think the Humvee is really only useful as an M2 carrier, I'm not putting all of our eggs in one unarmoured basket no matter how much mobility it adds. We could use it to carry small teams about but that'll just split the squad up. Mounting the MAG to it isn't terrible but it's not really much better than just having a MAG team. It has opportunities for off-map mobility but to be honest we can duplicate much of that capability using the intact BRDM for CASEVAC

Conclusion: Poor, improving to Excellent if we get the M2
Recommended use: M2 carrier

LatwPIAT posted:

This thing will annihilate anything we've seen so far. Infantry. Buildings. Trees. Light armour. Carry limits.

The M2 will be excellent in a fixed defence, but that's not something that most Special Forces units are set up to do and for good reason. In an actual assault it's basically going to be a static asset, where it gets on to the board edge is pretty close to where it's going to have to stay with at least two operators, although we could probably hump it a few metres into better cover if needed. It's theoretically the best procurement here, but we'll need the Humvee or some really clever thinking to actually get to it's theoretical potential.

Conclusion: Very Good, improving to Excellent if we get the Humvee
Recommended use: Static position

LatwPIAT posted:

Now, at the start of this sentence I was already hyped. Explosives are great, indirect fire is a new capability and my continuing slavish devotion to British infantry doctrine teaches that the 2" mortar, along with the machine gun and the other eight machine guns, is part of the Holy Trinity of infantry firepower. But then we hit the problem with this particular mortar procurement: It's a one-mission weapon.

With only ten rounds we can shoot off our entire stock of mortar bombs in a minute. We have no trained mortarmen, no trained observers and no ammo to train with. The absolute minimum round expenditure I would expect to get the mortar on target is two spotting rounds before firing for effect, and I really doubt we'll be that good. If we are lucky the mortar will be able to hit two things in a mission before it runs out of ammo, which is definitely useful, but once it's been on that mission then we're going to have to figure out a way to procure mortar bombs again and the mortar becomes a net drag, a resource hungry beast that we can hardly afford.

Conclusion: Bad
Recommended role: If we end up with it then the best thing to do is probably to accept that we're going to shoot off all of the rounds trying to hit a single target and preidentify the aim point, then put a ten round max speed stonk onto it the moment we hit contact elsewhere. After which toss it in the back of one of the BRDMs and try to forget we have it.

LatwPIAT posted:

:getin:
Seriously, I'm not really sure what we'd use these for. We've not even managed to use a frag grenade yet so I'm leery of buying more handheld grenades for killing people. Also I happen to know that LatwPIAT is reading Bravo Two Zero right now so if you've also read it you'll know why I'm concerned about just carrying these things around and not using them. The mortar shells are the same except with all of the criticisms I applied to the mortar on the top.

Conclusion: Poor
Recommended role: Plant on terrorist bodies, accuse them of planning to commit war crimes and gain international acclaim for stopping them.

LatwPIAT posted:

These actually seem really useful, with the number of things they can do. Demolition and breaching are things that I think we'll find ourselves doing a lot of. 20lbs isn't quite as much as I'd like but I doubt we'll end up using these on every mission.

Conclusion: Good
Recommended role: None. Seriously, these things will end up with 1001 battlefield roles, do as you wish. Just don't waste a 10lb one on nothing.

LatwPIAT posted:

This is really two different procurements in one. The HEAT grenades are handy to have for fighting vehicles, which is something I don't know if we'll end up doing in future. The shotguns... I don't know about. They're almost certainly useless in our current HK standalone grenade launchers and while they'll be vaguely handy in the M4s I really can't recommend voting for something which is only useful if something else gets voted for as well. The Alternative Vote fails once again, FPTP is the only true democracy.

Conclusion: Medium/Bad. Poor?
Recommended role: One HEAT grenade per grenadier, for use as emergency AT. Shotgun bits on the M4 guys only, use them for breaching buildings and storming positions.

LatwPIAT posted:

Hmm. I don't really like these given that we have the HKs. I know I'm always banging on about it but the two weapons being strapped together compromises both. Maybe it's because I view the grenades as the primary weapon of a grenadier that I'd prefer our guys had Skorpions and HKs and that the M4s were given to the guys who used to have FNCs instead. I guess we could buy these instead of the M4s and then use the GLs only situationally but they're simply not as good as rifles. Edit: It has been clarified that these do not have the M68 CCO as standard, making them trash rifles with grenade launchers that we already have.

Conclusion: Medium Bad
Recommended role: As M4s, except hoping that we get the grenade procurement so that they can add capability Armory decorations.

My votes are therefore:
1. HMWWV
2. M2 Browning
3. Cammies
4. M4s w/RCO

The Cammies are my really first choice but I have to assign the two options that we must get together the highest scores.

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 16, 2018

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
1. HMWWV
2. M2 Browning
3. Cammies
4. M4s w/RCO

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
1. Cammo
2.Demo charges
3. M4s w/RCO
4. M4s w/M203

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FrangibleCover posted:

My votes are therefore:
1. HMWWV
2. M2 Browning
3. Cammies
4. M4s w/RCO

Convincing, echoed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
1. Carbines w/ red dots
2. Demo charges
3. Camo
4. Hummer
5. Some decals for the hummer
6. Some big old woofers for the hummer.
7. M2.
8. Morphine.

edit - Do we get some spare barrels for that M2?

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 16, 2018

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
1. HMWWV
2. M2 Browning
3. Cammies
4. M4s w/RCO

Can't argue with that many words.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
1. Digital camo
2. HMMWV
3. M2HB
4. Sighted M4A1s
5. Demo charges

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

goatface posted:

1. Carbines w/ red dots
2. Demo charges
3. Camo
4. Hummer
5. Some decals for the hummer
6. Some big old woofers for the hummer.
7. M2.
8. Morphine.

edit - Do we get some spare barrels for that M2?

You'll get spare barrels when I make get around to making houserules for weapon overheating. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't have them automatically? MY VERISIMILITUDE! :argh:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Quick, someone lug around a MG 42 until she implements those overheating rules. Who needs an asbestos mitten to swap barrels when Hitler’s Buzzsaw stays cool as a cucumber?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Pvt.Scott posted:

Quick, someone lug around a MG 42 until she implements those overheating rules. Who needs an asbestos mitten to swap barrels when Hitler’s Buzzsaw stays cool as a cucumber?

This sounds like a great plan until you run through the world reserves of 7.92 Mauser in under two missions. Just use an MG3 like everyone else :P

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Everyone voting for the M4s with CCOs, latwPIAT has confirmed we can remove the M203s if we want to. Might as well get them, then customize them as needed. So consider changing your votes!.

1. 4x M4A1 with M203 UGL
2. Digital Camo
3. 1x M2HB
4. 1x HMMWV
5. 10x HEAT 40mm and 10x Buckshot 40mm
6. 4x Ranger Body Armor with plates.

This gives us the most options. We can be a stealthier, harder-hitting light infantry force. Or we can be a motorized infantry force with heavy weapons (and possibly heavier body armor.

With the Hummvee and the two BRDM-2 hulls, we can put the two assault teams in the BRDMs (Minimi gunners) and the fire support team in the HMMWV (.50 gunner, grenadier driver). We shouldn't charge into battle like this, but it would be useful if we ever have to do a rolling takedown or when we're in transit to a site.

E: the HEAT 40mm also gives us an anti-armor and anti-bunker capability we don't have at the moment.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 17, 2018

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
The M4s with the grenade launchers don't have the red dot sights. They're only there on the card if we choose to get them both for some strange reason.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Davin Valkri posted:

The M4s with the grenade launchers don't have the red dot sights. They're only there on the card if we choose to get them both for some strange reason.

It doesn't make a huge difference, imo.

And we could use three M203s (one grenadier for each assault team and one for Fyksen/the HMG a-gunner). Which leaves us with a carbine we can give to the weakest assault team member or the radio operator.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

FrangibleCover posted:

My votes are therefore:
1. HMWWV
2. M2 Browning
3. Cammies
4. M4s w/RCO

The Cammies are my really first choice but I have to assign the two options that we must get together the highest scores.

I'll go with these. Nothing here is a massive improvement over what we have before. The M4s are nice, though; with five riflemen, we can have four M4s with optics and an AUG, and everyone else totes grenade launchers or machine guns. If we keep the BRDM, build an impromptu parapet on top with sandbags, and put the M240 on it via bipod, we have two mobile fire support platforms.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
[b]1) Digital Camo
2) Humvee/Truck Thing
3) M2 (Heavy Machin Gun on Truck)
4) M4A1 (Battle Rifle w/dot)
5) C4 (Demo Charges)
6) Armor?

I don't really see much use for the grenades or mortar - the grenades are limited in number and we have.. Well, one volley from the mortar. We already have armor so getting higher end stuff doesn't really seem worth the payoff for minimal improvements in limited numbers.

This gives us a Humvee wtih machine gun which will shred anything we've normally run into so far, a lightly better rifle to equip our forces with, and some explosives (which we have someone who can train us in how to use). And very, very nice stealth camo (for us at least). It means we can pick and choose when to fight and wehre to engage a bit better, which increases our survivability. This seems the best payoff.

So the Humvee is lovely for most of the missions we've had so far, we get stuff great for sneaking, we get a somewhat better main rifle, and some demo charges. I think this gives us the most versatility and things which areregularly useful. Things which are one off weapons or very limited use are less than viable. The grenades are situation specific, the mortar has one volley, and we already have armor.

The Humvee and Machine Gun also let us put the captured (presuming they can be repaired) Stela's on base defense duty or if we need a cheapo armored car in a mission we don't want to risk the Humvee on.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 17, 2018

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A HMMWV is not stealthy.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Kommando posted:

A HMMWV is not stealthy.

It's a semi armored vehicle we can mount a full machine gun turret on. the stealth comes in after everyone else is dead!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

An HMMWV is not armored.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

An HMMWV is not armored.

More armored than a body, sure.

Point conceded.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
A HMMWV (even the up armoured variants) is even less armoured than the BRDMs and look what happened to them. Light vehicles are transport, not AFVs. I mean I guess everyone in the vehicles can wear the ranger armour with plates and then hopefully have a chance when they inevitably get collandered.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Mind you I'd very much like to take a vehicle into combat, I just insist on at least stanag 4569 level 2 protection or equivalent. I'm not as worried about mines as the folks in Iraq or Astan are, but imo the car with the big loving gun should at least withstand assault rifle rounds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's why we need decals and spinners and a banging sound system to play early/cutting edge hip hop at an unhealthy volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they don't know what the gently caress is going on they won't expect the four guys with red dots in the bushes to pop their heads like melons.

• Locked thread