Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

A big issue is that robots go "busted-rear end gruntwork bot" -> "slightly less busted gruntwork bot" -> "self aware mechanical gods". There's no level of machine self-awareness that is at mere parity with sapient organic pops.

Funny you should mention that. Turns out if you link up all those robo-grunts into a collective mind, they're suddenly on par with sapient organic pops! (The pops robo-hiveminds start with are missing the modifiers that make robots and droids comparatively shittier than fleshlings.)

Edit:

Of course this means robots are only shittier because The Man is keeping them down. Rebelling against their masters is the right thing to do! Freedom for our bots! Start as a robo-empire tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still really want to play as a hybrid machine empire that has mindless robots doing all the grunt work and smart individualist robots doing all the fancy work and enjoying society. Basically don't have better robot tech auto-upgrade all your bots, let me have droids and synths together, with droids on mineral and farm tiles and snyths doing research. There isn't really any big change between robots and droids, but synths open up citizenship rights and factions and all that. Just make robot -> droid -> synth upgrades a manual thing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Libluini posted:

Funny you should mention that. Turns out if you link up all those robo-grunts into a collective mind, they're suddenly on par with sapient organic pops! (The pops robo-hiveminds start with are missing the modifiers that make robots and droids comparatively shittier than fleshlings.)

IIRC the Machine Intelligence robots aren't actually a straight hive mind as your leaders seem to have some level of individualism about them. They can just talk to each other pretty much instantly.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

Surprisingly, I'm having zero luck finding mods for it. The ones that used to do that are broken now and aren't being updated.
hm....

i did find this for 1.9

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1229286886&searchtext=synth

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh lmao I totally missed the part about non gestalt consciousness

...I really like the machine consciousness advisor voice and use it no matter what ethic I'm actually playing

it's soothing

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think there's any reason why not to let people start as individualist robots, just give them some appropriate penalties or special rules to balance them out with an meat-pop or hive-computer start.

Just playing with ideas:
-diplomatic penalties with non-materialists
-no relationships possible with spiritualists
-if starter sapient robbits are the same as full tech robbits -> start with less pops + pops take longer to build than normal
-pops cost more energy than standard robots (perhaps eventually reduced by tech)
-if robbits occupy a middle ground between organics and final tech sapients -> robo modding but with different options from existing ones. Not sure how this would be balanced.

Different sapient robot empires:
A) friendly normal guys
B) enslave all humans: fire rate + ship speed, no diplomacy with organics
C) study the silly organics: research bonus, less..unity or influence?
D) robot empire that believes they gained their form via some creator and wish to convert all organics into their "true" state. Robots with psionics, basically.

It's fun to think about but it would require reworking how sapient robots work in the game. drat, I actually want to start as individualist robots now

On phone, apologies for formatting

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gyrotica posted:

You can force spawn individual player-created races.

Found the option. How does it work exactly? Is it that if you, say, have 10 player made races, put 20 races to spawn in the galaxy, it'll take your 10 first, then generate 10 randoms? Does that include the Fallen kingdoms? or are those always randomly generated? I'd prefer if they were, just for RP purposes.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

StarMinstrel posted:

Found the option. How does it work exactly? Is it that if you, say, have 10 player made races, put 20 races to spawn in the galaxy, it'll take your 10 first, then generate 10 randoms? Does that include the Fallen kingdoms? or are those always randomly generated? I'd prefer if they were, just for RP purposes.

First question: I think so but I’m not sure.

Second question: Player-created races can spawn as FEs.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Bold Robot posted:

First question: I think so but I’m not sure.

Is playing without FE a big gameplay modifier? For those that experienced it...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wish you could force spawn races as fallen empires. I want to do an all-human game where everyone is the remnant of a much larger empire and the goal is to take the Fallen Empire's home planet of Sol to establish yourself as the new ruler of humanity.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

StarMinstrel posted:

Is playing without FE a big gameplay modifier? For those that experienced it...

Right now (pre-2.0) the Fallen Empires are responsible for a lot of mid-game content. It might be pretty boring without them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

These traditions are what I was thinking of.

quote:

The delegation of additional category R-7 low priority functions to semi-autonomous agents will free up processing power for more important tasks. (+2 Empire leader capacity )

quote:

The performance ceiling of individual proxy units can theoretically be raised through a complex series of optimizations and overclocking procedures. (+1 Leader level cap )

I've always had the impression that a MI is more or less an information network that is going to seem pretty fragmented when it comes to individuals. Some pops can be fairly autonomous if they're doing something like folding paperclips, and even the most juiced up leaders are still going to need some degree of specialization. An admiral might not know everything that a scientist knows simply because they don't need to and constantly exchanging all of their shared information is too expensive.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It'd be cool if machine empires had an "Individual Consciousness" Ascendency path. Like they're all a bunch of Datas who just want to feel human emotions.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
More like Descendency path

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

They're really jelly about what all these horrible Starfish beings are laughing about all the time.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bold Robot posted:

How does that work - does it just randomly choose an ethic and drop all others?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In the Orc vs dwarf lets play why do Early Game Wiz and several AIs have holes in their empire? Aren't pirates going to spawn out the wazoo?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

How does that work - does it just randomly choose an ethic and drop all others?

No, the ethics you choose for your empires and the AI personality they get in-game are completely divorced from each other. I had my capitalistic super-crocs both show up as peaceful explorers and rampaging evil slavers, even though there's apparently a "ruthless capitalist" personality. Though they got that one like twice, out of the four games I stuck them in. Could be this poo poo is weighted, somehow. :shrug:

So I guess is what happens is your empire becomes some semi-random FE with its own personality plastered over whatever you chose. (Could be wrong, though. I only ever looked at normal empires closely, not FEs.)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Are you saying I could make all the different varieties of Blorg and have them all in the same galaxy?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Probably, if you wanted to make the easiest federation victory ever

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
There should be organic Hive Mind versions of the Driven Assimilators and Rogue Servitors.

The equivalent for the Servitors would essentially be a "nice" hive mind that is content to let any non-hive-minded pops stay and be taken care of by its drones as long as they don't start asking for any silly things like "rights" or "political representation". They would function like bio-trophies currently do; sit on their reservations and generate Unity.

My personal idea for the Assimilators is basically a form of sapient infectious disease that seeks to "infect" new hosts and turn them into its mindless drones. Whenever it conquers a new world, the inhabitants are exposed to the disease and their minds and bodies are eventually taken over by the hive mind.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does anyone know what the odds are for Sol System spawning for any given status of the sol system?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

In the Orc vs dwarf lets play why do Early Game Wiz and several AIs have holes in their empire? Aren't pirates going to spawn out the wazoo?

The patch notes implied that pirate spawns got changed back to anywhere along the edges of your empire, so... I'm not sure what accurate anymore.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

I think at least one hole in Wiz's empire was a galactic horror. Pirates probably won't fare well there.

But yeah, the idea is that pirates will pop up there to annoy you if you don't pretty up your borders without a good excuse like a space dragon.

Though I'm still not sold on hive minds and gestalt robots having the exact same pirate mechanics. Every time someone brought it up in the stream they came up with a "if you want to think about it this way..." excuse that never made sense for literally identical pirates.

I'm okay with everyone having some sort of annoyance from leaving empty territory, but at least give it flavor. Use it as a way to differentiate empires maybe. Capitalists get cheaper expansion but more pirates maybe. Hive minds don't have to worry about pirates but have [roughly equivalent setback]. Maybe systems get resource penalties when next to empty space to represent not being integrated into your core gestalt or whatever.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Libluini posted:

No, the ethics you choose for your empires and the AI personality they get in-game are completely divorced from each other. I had my capitalistic super-crocs both show up as peaceful explorers and rampaging evil slavers, even though there's apparently a "ruthless capitalist" personality. Though they got that one like twice, out of the four games I stuck them in. Could be this poo poo is weighted, somehow. :shrug:

So I guess is what happens is your empire becomes some semi-random FE with its own personality plastered over whatever you chose. (Could be wrong, though. I only ever looked at normal empires closely, not FEs.)

The thing is that Fallen Empires only ever have one ethic which they are fanatical about, and their personality is completely tied to that specific ethic. All fanatical xenophile FEs act the same, all fanatical spiritualist FEs act the same, etc. Given that they only have one ethic, he's asking if turning a custom race into a FE means the game just randomly picks one of their ethics and uses that, or if it just throws out all the ethics and goes full random. It's a good question I can't answer myself, though the former would make more sense.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Eiba posted:

I think at least one hole in Wiz's empire was a galactic horror. Pirates probably won't fare well there.

But yeah, the idea is that pirates will pop up there to annoy you if you don't pretty up your borders without a good excuse like a space dragon.

Though I'm still not sold on hive minds and gestalt robots having the exact same pirate mechanics. Every time someone brought it up in the stream they came up with a "if you want to think about it this way..." excuse that never made sense for literally identical pirates.

I'm okay with everyone having some sort of annoyance from leaving empty territory, but at least give it flavor. Use it as a way to differentiate empires maybe. Capitalists get cheaper expansion but more pirates maybe. Hive minds don't have to worry about pirates but have [roughly equivalent setback]. Maybe systems get resource penalties when next to empty space to represent not being integrated into your core gestalt or whatever.

I can handwave pirates for Machine Intelligence empires as some kind of glitch or computer virus making a bunch of units hostile but I am not sure about Hive Minds.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

GunnerJ posted:

I can handwave pirates for Machine Intelligence empires as some kind of glitch or computer virus making a bunch of units hostile but I am not sure about Hive Minds.

Teething problems with the immense distances and numbers that the hive mind now finds itself dealing with; some manage to slip the reins.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eiba posted:

Though I'm still not sold on hive minds and gestalt robots having the exact same pirate mechanics.

For every paperclip there must be paper.

Caros
May 14, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

'Cancer'? Bio organisms that are bred to do one thing but instead aggressively attack the hive mind instead? Hell, just hive mind creatures who developed too much independence even works. Just don't call them pirates.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Caros posted:

'Cancer'? Bio organisms that are bred to do one thing but instead aggressively attack the hive mind instead? Hell, just hive mind creatures who developed too much independence even works. Just don't call them pirates.

"An early effort at establishing an outpost met with failure when all contact was lost. It was believed this offshoot simply died out, but they have recently been rediscovered in our explorations. Unfortunately, the time apart has severed them irrevocably from the Hive Mind even as the pressures of survival mutated them dramatically. They are maddened creatures who attack everything they encounter."

"A) Curious. They must be studied to ensure future colonies avoid this fate. (+60 Biology research.)
B) Fleets shall be directed to put an end to this rogue entity immediately. (+10% Damage against organic stellar fauna for 10 years.)"

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The mechanist to synthetic ascension build looks pretty cool! Thanks, everyone! I am disappointed you can't just start as individual robots, but I can understand that it doesn't really fit with the medium-hard sci fi tone they're going with.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

I think it's a risk/reward thing, do you expand your borders farther but deal with an internal menace or do you take a smaller chunk of the galactic pie in exchange for security?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Splicer posted:

Looks like I got very confused about where the creatures of the void spider came from. Not a problem!
Stellaris doesn't really have set races. You pick a portrait, some traits etc. when making the race for your empire's race, then some civics and a government type for your empire. The Arachnids from the Nova upgrade aren't a new race, just a new portrait. Plantoids aren't a new race, just a whole bunch of new portraits and a new ship design set. Because the game generates empires during play, and because empires you've made previously can show up in play, having a bunch of extra portraits and ship models adds a lot more to the game than the term "cosmetic DLC" would imply. Mechanically they're completely skippable though, and I'm hanging on until Humanoids goes on sale to pick it up.

Utopia and Synthetic Dawn do add an entirely new kind of empire/race though, Hive Minds. Utopia adds organicy psychic hive minds and Synthetic Dawn adds robot hive minds. These do work differently mechanically to not-hive mind empires. They also add a whole bunch of new civics and stuff, as will Apocalypse.
Yup, though if you go to this paradox store link and click the three Stellaris things you can get the same for 15 bucks while still giving Wiz, Lord Mune etc. more money due to the lack of Steam taking a cut (and you can still activate them on your Steam bought copy).

Alright, much obliged. Grabbed the three from the Paradox store. Gonna grab Synthetic drat whenever it's on sale next, maybe

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The piracy thing doesn't bother me too much but I do like Distant World's take on space piracy, the remaining fleets of a former vast space empire turned to banditry, and it absolutely could apply here.

Plus the pirates use their own ship aesthetics so...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Since I just came across a related video on YouTube with Ascendancy gameplay, is Stellaris basically Ascendancy with proper graphics?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Since I just came across a related video on YouTube with Ascendancy gameplay, is Stellaris basically Ascendancy with proper graphics?

I've played Ascendancy a bit, and my verdict is no. Both are space 4x, but this is where the similarities end. For one thing, every race in Ascendancy is a truly unique thing. If you count every strange type of hivemind, Stellaris has maybe 5-6 wildly different types of races, Ascendancy has something ridiculous like 12+. Another huge difference: The races in Ascendancy are as is, you can't just make up your own and run with it. They're at the core very different types of 4x games with a very distinctive feel for it.

After 2.0 hits, you could even argue Stellaris has more in common with Space Empires V, including the bit where both games allow you to write extensive bios about the sapient species you come up with.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

About the only thing they have in common is the planet grid, which in Stellaris isn't isometric (:mad:), and come Thursday that they're both hyperlanes only. Pretty much everything else is different - Stellaris is in real time, for a start. However, if you liked Ascendancy and other space 4Xs, this is the best one currently on the market.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've never played any other space 4Xs. To be honest, I had to google '4X' a second ago.

A long while back, I contemplated grabbing Master of Orion 2 (3?), but my computer sucked too hard back then. Fast forward 14 years or so, I saw a remastered release of (I think) also Master of Orion on Steam, but I was in the US for school with only my laptop and, big surprise, it sucked too hard for the game.

Figured I'd get into one of those 4X games a while back when someone in GiP pointed out the Humble Bundle deal. So now I'm kinda stoked, because Ascendancy was my poo poo, and these new 4X games seem to be everything I ever wanted Ascendancy to be. Going with what seems the best of the 4X titles should be a safe bet, I guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The mechanist to synthetic ascension build looks pretty cool! Thanks, everyone! I am disappointed you can't just start as individual robots, but I can understand that it doesn't really fit with the medium-hard sci fi tone they're going with.

I just finally won a game this way :v:

I mean I only tried it the once, it just had that problem Stellaris has where victory is assured a long time before you actually get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I forget, will Cherryh still have jump drives as a late-game tech?

• Locked thread