Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Speaking of, does anyone get the vibe that Diane is dealing with some sort of trauma since that whole Cordovia subplot? She's always dealing with a lot, but seems to fall off a cliff after the kid she cared so much about got blown up and she realized she couldn't hack it.

The way she acts when the house sinks in S4 looked like that but given how much poo poo happens to these people every single day you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Geez, a lot of sudden slams on Diane. I personally struggle with whether what I do is meaningful in any sense but I am also deathly afraid of responsibility. Should I just do whatever I feel like?

It's because I was a lot like Diane (although a lot more like PC nowadays) that I see how self-destructive it is. Really you just want her to get it together and find a balance that allows her to be good and be happy.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Bust Rodd posted:

Spanish Conquistadors were some of the original white devils, or look at lots of Telemundo, there’s plenty of colorist but also lots of extremely latino White people

Telenovelas are full of some extremely white people. I often wonder if it’s seen as more desirable in that part of the world, like in India where women bleach their skin.

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Speaking of, does anyone get the vibe that Diane is dealing with some sort of trauma since that whole Cordovia subplot? She's always dealing with a lot, but seems to fall off a cliff after the kid she cared so much about got blown up and she realized she couldn't hack it.

There’s a scene where she’s been drinking and wakes up saying that kid’s name. That kind of thing has got to give you some genuine PTSD. Plus you must feel a crushing sense of failure to walk away from that kind of place and go back to your comfortable western life.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Diane would rather be out making a difference ON HER OWN than supporting her husband because her husband is a fun, sexy moron and Diane just can’t handle it. She has a massive chip on her shoulder....

This really makes me feel a lot of sympathy for Mister Peanutbutter, honestly. That poor, sweet dog has had three failed marriages (counting Diane) and it seems like every time he's been dumped. Poor guy can't catch a break!

Though, I notice a pattern. Three human women, three failed marriages. Maybe PB needs to break that cycle.

Maybe he should try a relationship with, say, a nonhuman? Perhaps a nonhuman man?

Probably not a horseman, though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LeJackal posted:

Probably not a horseman, though.

What is this? A cross-over episode :heysexy:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Mr. Peanutbutter and Bojack Horseman in the same bed? What is this, a fan-fiction episode?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/08/technology/ehang-self-flying-drone/index.html

But if you’re in it, it’s not a drone.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Mr. Peanutbutter and Bojack Horseman in the same bed? What is this, a fan-fiction episode?

Exclusive sneak peek!

Might not be safe for work!

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 10, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

Telenovelas are full of some extremely white people. I often wonder if it’s seen as more desirable in that part of the world, like in India where women bleach their skin.

White supremacy has seeped into every place that whites have colonized.

White skin is seen as more desirable. This sadly isn't limited to he US and UK.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's the case almost everywhere, really. I think almost all of southeast asia is like that, too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

It's the case almost everywhere, really. I think almost all of southeast asia is like that, too.

There is evidence in somewhere like Japan (which hasn't had western influence until recently, Japanese people who left where basically exiled and not supposed to come back) white skin was a symbol of status because tan people worked outdoors and pale people stayed inside. Granted with the "hafu" (mostly half Japanese/Anglo) models dominate their magazines and such, but that is just based on re-enforcing previous biases post WW2.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
European immigration was heavily sought for in colonized countries so that the populace would be "whitened". The eugenics philosophies didn't help.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Somebody should make a thread for this discussion in the appropriate sub-forum.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

White supremacy has seeped into every place that whites have colonized.

mam this is the mcdonalds drive through

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't know what ethnicity you guys think Diane is supposed to be, since she's clearly American as pho.

Her Boston family is the best

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Data Graham posted:

They’re mad wicked pissah

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Data Graham posted:

I'd love to claim it is an over the top caricature but, it's pretty drat accurate.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Boston just sounds like the most unpleasant place and people from Boston as the most horrible people just from pop culture osmosis

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Calaveron posted:

Boston just sounds like the most unpleasant place and people from Boston as the most horrible people just from pop culture osmosis

Some of that is true.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

prefect posted:

Some of that is true.

Yeah, like, some of city’s architecture is pretty.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BoJackHorseman/status/964561231074873345

I will now be sad if Year of the Dog doesn't play some role in this upcoming season, even if it's only one episode.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
for real i would be surprised if they didn't bring up the Penny thing in the context of #MeToo, but I can see a really, really obvious direction to go with it that's Not Bad

have her tweet about it, and have BoJack genuinely apologize for being a hellfucker and use the situation as a way of hammering home that yes, he actually is successfully becoming a better person even if it's rough going. go less Weinstein with how the situation plays out, and model it more after Dan Harmon or Tarantino's situations, the people who've done lovely things but are actually genuinely attempting to make good because they're just flawed people and not amoral hell-creatures.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 16, 2018

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

for real i would be surprised if they didn't bring up the Penny thing in the context of #MeToo, but I can see a really, really obvious direction to go with it that's Not Bad.

The #MeToo situation is a really weird context for the situation.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

have her tweet about it, and have BoJack genuinely apologize for being a hellfucker

So will Bojack be apologising for being the victim? Or will he apologize in a genuine way out of a sense of confusion? I'm not certain how that will play out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I still think Mr Peanutbutter is a better choice because he's completely incapable of living in the real world and just kind of falls rear end backwards into success and never ever accepts any consequences of his actions because everything always works out for him in the end becuase he's just so handsome and likeable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

I still think Mr Peanutbutter is a better choice because he's completely incapable of living in the real world and just kind of falls rear end backwards into success and never ever accepts any consequences of his actions because everything always works out for him in the end becuase he's just so handsome and likeable.

Yeah but the plot there honestly feels like “Everyone will just let it go and it won’t matter” which they already did with Hippopopolous. Bojack is someone everyone already has enjoyed hating for a variety of reasons, so he has the most room for growth here.

Besides next season will likely feature Mr. PB going through his 3rd divorce, so I could see rumors about him spreading and maybe one of his first exes accuses him of something and Diane has to choose between getting her settlement and standing up for Mr. Peebs.

There’s lots to do with it. It just seems like too much for a show that is objectively about Hollywoo to ignore it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thing is, when the Hippopopolous episode came out, that's what would happen. A powerful man would be accused to something terrible, and people would be outraged, but then the pushback would silence it and nothing would happen. Oh people would still talk about it, but they'll make another movie or keep their TV show or whatnot. Though what happened is that it started to matter. lovely Powerful Men were accused and things happened. There was pushback to the pushback.

There has been speculation that its because society saw Trump not only getting away with it, but also rewarded, they went "well, if we can't get President Sex Criminal, everyone else is going to be punished'.

Mr Peanutbetter would not be able to laugh and smile it off, he'd actually have to face the consequences of what he did, and actually have to deal with it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but Mr. PB hasn’t done anything.

Since the series started, Bojack made a pass at Diane, got caught loving Sarah Lynn (those pictures haven’t surfaced yet!), slept with Todd’s drunk friend, made out with a 17 year old girl after getting her friend drunk enough to be hospitalized, then howed up high at her college a year later and triggered her PTSD, and we never even found out what happened to that Manatee he almost slept with. Imagine trying to explain his relationship with PC in an interview with Diane’s woke-feminism blog.

For that matter he also hosed Ana Spankopita. One of Bojack’s core character traits is “sexually inappropriate behavior” so ignoring all of that to target Mr. Peanutbutter just seems like it would require a ton of gymnastics.

Imagine if Bob Saget got caught loving one of the Olsen Twins in 2018, or tried to make out with his ghostwriter, or his publicist came out and said they had a sexual relationship until she couldn’t win him awards and then they broke up.

It’s just such a rich vein of material that’s already focused on the main character, why shift focus to a different character who hasn’t committed any sexual misconduct that we can see? Mr. Peanutbutter’s worst offense is being emotionally unavailable and incapable of seeing things outside his own world view, Bojack almost hosed a minor and drove his co-star/daughter/lover to OD

Edit: I thought about it some more and the best Mr. Peanutbutter plotline would be if the episode start with Hippo is finally going to trial and it comes out somehow that Mr. PB asked Diane to drop it and that I could actually going places and putting him in a tight spot without having to concoct a bunch of horrible thing that would be 100% out of character to have done

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 17, 2018

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah, part of becoming a better person is facing up to the consequences of your previous actions, and Bojack definitely isn't done with that yet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Has there been any stories of genuine contrition in response to #MeToo? The closest I can think of is Aziz Ansari saying he's sorry to that lady he throatscraped.

The Hollywood scandal is outing fuckers who deserve to burn, while Bojack Horseman is a show about tragically flawed, sympathetic characters.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Has there been any stories of genuine contrition in response to #MeToo? The closest I can think of is Aziz Ansari saying he's sorry to that lady he throatscraped.

The Hollywood scandal is outing fuckers who deserve to burn, while Bojack Horseman is a show about tragically flawed, sympathetic characters.

Bojack seems to be about how no one is entirely good or bad, with the nicest characters, such as Mr Peanutbutter, still having recognizable flaws, and the worst characters such as Bojack and Beatrice, still being empathetic. That said, Bojack has indisputably done horrible things. Since the show is sympathetic to him and from his point of view it easy to rationalize some of his behavior.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I honestly don't think a #MeToo plotline from the viewpoint of, and sympathetic to, the perpetrator is a very good idea. All the current big ticket stories are about relentless fuckers who spent decades abusing their power and taking advantage of women. I don't see how you could put Bojack in the same context as someone like Harvey Weinstein without either humanizing the latter or completely loving up the character of the former.

The show did have one character with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and I think it was the right decision to make Hank Hippopapalous incontrovertibly a villain.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Dan Harmon for sure. Treated Megan Ganz horribly, and around December / January delivered a thorough, genuine apology on his podcast that was free of any surreptitious victim blaming. Watch this space, I'm gonna go find the transcript.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like if you think MPB would actually do anything like that then you don't understand his character.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DivisionPost posted:

Dan Harmon for sure. Treated Megan Ganz horribly, and around December / January delivered a thorough, genuine apology on his podcast that was free of any surreptitious victim blaming. Watch this space, I'm gonna go find the transcript.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfqoLeDsET0

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I honestly don't think a #MeToo plotline from the viewpoint of, and sympathetic to, the perpetrator is a very good idea. All the current big ticket stories are about relentless fuckers who spent decades abusing their power and taking advantage of women. I don't see how you could put Bojack in the same context as someone like Harvey Weinstein without either humanizing the latter or completely loving up the character of the former.

The show did have one character with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and I think it was the right decision to make Hank Hippopapalous incontrovertibly a villain.

I don't think it would be an issue to go back and dig up Hank to be the center piece for this plot line myself. Like you said, he's a villain, BoJack is not. It's not like BoJack wouldn't catch flak in this scenario either. He did abuse his position of authority, albeit not in the way that Weinstein/Hippopapalous did but he did take advantage of a lot of young women. It would be easy (and understandable) for Diane to turn this onto BoJack who would desperately try to separate himself from the kind of person that Hippopapaplous is. I could see it having effects on Mr. Peanutbutter too because he just is in love with the guy and looks up to him.

On the other hand, the producers said the Hippopapalous season airing at the same time as the Cosby fiasco was just pure coincidence and they don't always try to reflect what's going on in the real world.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am truly grateful that you guys do not write this show. Generally speaking, I am extremely glad that ideas from CinD and TV IV don't make it into shows.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

I am truly grateful that you guys do not write this show. Generally speaking, I am extremely glad that ideas from CinD and TV IV don't make it into shows.
Writing a show by having everyone shout out ideas and saying "yes, let's do all of that" would be bad, and this is why forums don't write TV.

That said, I do think Vincent Adultman should struggle with HIV.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean Mr Peanutbutter has had two divorces and is barreling towards a third one and both exwives are angry and resentful at him and the potential third exwife ain’t too happy with him plus he has all the nihilism so there’s a lot to mine off of his psychoses

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Mr peanut butter is 100% perfect boyfriend but he always gives 120%. It turns out that extra 20% is lovely stupid rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The portrayal of a man who is unconditionally loyal but completely unavailable and incapable of really listening is one of the smartest parts of BJHMan