Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GotLag posted:

I forget, will Cherryh still have jump drives as a late-game tech?

Yes.

They have long cooldowns and combat penalties while the cooldown is active - so "bypass a heavily-defended fortress system" more than "hot-drop the enemy fleet out of nowhere".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Duzzy Funlop posted:

A long while back, I contemplated grabbing Master of Orion 2 (3?), but my computer sucked too hard back then. Fast forward 14 years or so, I saw a remastered release of (I think) also Master of Orion on Steam, but I was in the US for school with only my laptop and, big surprise, it sucked too hard for the game.

Pick up Master of Orion 2 off GOG - it's fairly cheap, any toaster will run it, and it's still a good enough game that a lot of space 4Xes still crib heavily (maybe too heavily) from it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That's fine, it still means I can clown on low-tech suckas

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

Yes.

They have long cooldowns and combat penalties while the cooldown is active - so "bypass a heavily-defended fortress system" more than "hot-drop the enemy fleet out of nowhere".

Assuming the AI responds to it, I could see a secondary fleet jumping behind the lines to cause mayhem and pull defending fleets off the lines while you hammer their fortress systems.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kind of nitpicky but:

Can we get some attention paid to some of the anomaly responses? I don't think my determined exterminators really think it's all that tragic for some random organic pilot to have died slowly

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Shugojin posted:

Kind of nitpicky but:

Can we get some attention paid to some of the anomaly responses? I don't think my determined exterminators really think it's all that tragic for some random organic pilot to have died slowly

It is tragic.

He should have died fast, like all the other meatbags you come across.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Got a UI bug: if you have a dialogue text window that has a scroll bar, the "scroll bar" isn't reset when you move to another dialogue, which means that if it's short you can't actually see the text (and it doesn't have a scroll bar because the text is too short to need one).

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Can I assimilate hive mind planets as a driven assimilator or will they just be purged if I take a few planets?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

hand-fed baby bird posted:

Can I assimilate hive mind planets as a driven assimilator or will they just be purged if I take a few planets?

They'll just be purged, AFAIK. Either way, make sure the first thing you do is build/resettle a robot on that planet.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

Yes.

It also lets you maneuver better in peacetime/in your own backline, you can probably cut a nice chunk of travel time with each jump. Of course that will be less useful once you get a bunch of gates constructed, but until then it's probably quite useful to react faster to threats. Even if you have some repaired gates, there's probably a lot of your territory that's not particularly close to them. Normal travel is slower now since you need to travel to hyper lane entrances within each system, so you might save a couple months per jump maybe? Especially with low hyperlane density there might be places where you can skip ~5 lanes with a jump.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tomn posted:

Pick up Master of Orion 2 off GOG - it's fairly cheap, any toaster will run it, and it's still a good enough game that a lot of space 4Xes still crib heavily (maybe too heavily) from it.

You can even run MOO1&2 on DosBox on a tablet. Interface is surprisingly playable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Libluini posted:

No, the ethics you choose for your empires and the AI personality they get in-game are completely divorced from each other. I had my capitalistic super-crocs both show up as peaceful explorers and rampaging evil slavers, even though there's apparently a "ruthless capitalist" personality. Though they got that one like twice, out of the four games I stuck them in. Could be this poo poo is weighted, somehow. :shrug:

So I guess is what happens is your empire becomes some semi-random FE with its own personality plastered over whatever you chose. (Could be wrong, though. I only ever looked at normal empires closely, not FEs.)

Certain traits, civics and ethics can effect what AI personality an empire is spawned with. Two of the personalities, Metalheads and Fanatical Befrienders, will always be the personalities of empires with the right trait/ethic/civics (Militarist, Materialist, Xenophobe, Industrious and Strong for Metalheads, Militarist, Fanatic Xenophile, Repugnent, Solitary and Venerable for Befrienders).

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/AI_personalities

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Certain traits, civics and ethics can effect what AI personality an empire is spawned with. Two of the personalities, Metalheads and Fanatical Befrienders, will always be the personalities of empires with the right trait/ethic/civics (Militarist, Materialist, Xenophobe, Industrious and Strong for Metalheads, Militarist, Fanatic Xenophile, Repugnent, Solitary and Venerable for Befrienders).

Hey, that's neat! When I'll make my next set of new species, I'll use that to make their personalities as diverse as possible!

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

They'll just be purged, AFAIK. Either way, make sure the first thing you do is build/resettle a robot on that planet.

Thanks. Didn’t want to risk it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

VirtualStranger posted:

There should be organic Hive Mind versions of the Driven Assimilators and Rogue Servitors.

The equivalent for the Servitors would essentially be a "nice" hive mind that is content to let any non-hive-minded pops stay and be taken care of by its drones as long as they don't start asking for any silly things like "rights" or "political representation". They would function like bio-trophies currently do; sit on their reservations and generate Unity.

My personal idea for the Assimilators is basically a form of sapient infectious disease that seeks to "infect" new hosts and turn them into its mindless drones. Whenever it conquers a new world, the inhabitants are exposed to the disease and their minds and bodies are eventually taken over by the hive mind.

zookeeper and zerg

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Only 5 more sleeps guys!
The hype has got me. There's going to be bugs on release. There's going to be balance issues, weird immersion breaking broken fluff, even possibly spelling mistakes. Yet despite it all I just want to take friday off work and dig in.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I preorder via the Paradox store, I’ll get a steam code too, correct?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MazelTovCocktail posted:

If I preorder via the Paradox store, I’ll get a steam code too, correct?

Yeah, the question is if you'll get it the moment it unlocked on steam. There's been times before where I've bought games direct from the publisher rather than steam and not gotten my email with the key until a couple hours after it was purchasable on steam. If you're a huge nerd that wants the game the second it's available, I don't know. If you're not, just buy direct from paradox and help all the wiz's get a few extra pennies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

* Strike Craft now only exist as one entity, and are no longer split up between bombers and fighters

An odd change.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

An odd change.

Guessing it’s to reduce lategame lag.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

Guessing it’s to reduce lategame lag.

Well, not unless I'm reading it wrong, it isn't that it's cut the numbers of strike craft, it's that it's folded bombers and fighters into the same thing, so there's just "strike craft" which do both their jobs.

So you now no longer specialize in either PD or anti-ship, you just put craft on ships and they do both jobs, presumably not very well in the case of PD given that they can't be protecting your ships and bombing enemy ships.

E: This I like though:

quote:

* Energy Torpedoes have been reworked into a long-range plasma-like artillery weapon that go into the L-slot

Given that's what they are it makes more sense, they always felt weird as a torpedo.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 17, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I interpreted the word “entity” to regard to game entities, which would mean only one ship at a time, but I suppose you could be correct.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pigbuster posted:

I interpreted the word “entity” to regard to game entities, which would mean only one ship at a time, but I suppose you could be correct.

Honestly, I had thought that this kind of thing was just intentional before. There's a lot of text in the game which can be interpreted in wildly different ways, but seeing it in the patch notes too just makes me wonder if it's a quirk of Nordic ESL.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just watched the entire twitch broadcast and I'm geeking. Ship design is going to be awesome and I'm hoping it is more and more difficult to solve for a single "meta" throughout the game.

Can't wait to see what additional features the team continues to put into this game. Easily my most played game of all time right now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I wish you could force spawn races as fallen empires. I want to do an all-human game where everyone is the remnant of a much larger empire and the goal is to take the Fallen Empire's home planet of Sol to establish yourself as the new ruler of humanity.

Yes, but it requires editing files a bit.

You'll want to edit "00_fallen_empire.txt", this defines all the fallen empires this defines all the fallen empires in the game, if they are robots or not for instance, and what traits and such they should have as well as their system initializer. Normally all of this is set to be random except for the system initializer, ethics and some traits (spiritualists are always psionic and the materialists are always cybernetic). You can put in specific portraits, flags, namelists, empire names and all that if you want to, it's not difficult (look up the files for custom empires to see what this is supposed to look like). You can also set them to use a different system initializer, so you could use for instance the Sol system (though I'd suggest editing it to more closely resembling a fallen empire's home system, just take a look in the folder "solar_system_initializers" for the various custom systems in the game, fully editable as well and easy to add new ones).

It's something I have often done for my games, as there are some portraits and such I like better for fallen empires and I tend not to like the random flags and names the game comes up with (though an awakened empire will change name).

You can also set a custom empire to have a chance to spawn as a fallen empire, though this only gives a slight chance for them to be picked. The Blorg for instance are flagged to be a possible fallen empire IIRC.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

OwlFancier posted:

An odd change.

No mention of scout craft, appropriately enough.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

THE BAR posted:

No mention of scout craft, appropriately enough.
On that note, it might be kinda cool to have some form of in-system surveillance and fog-of-war, just so scout fighters and screening ships are useful for something other than long-range attacks. Possibly just something like
  • Outside system: "Unknown/Hostile fleet approaching", same as current.
  • In-system: "Fleet IFF detected, rear end in a top hat Empire, recorded as Fleet Storm"
  • Closer in-system: "rear end in a top hat fleet spotted, X ships of Cruiser class displacement/Y Destroyers/Z Corvettes".
  • Even closer: "Fleet inspected, power 42069, carrying kinetics/plasma/bombers".
Maybe attach that increasing detail to time spent watching them, so that after a few months within your space/sensor reach, you can recognize them as rear end in a top hat Golf-class cruisers, carrying Mk3 mass drivers. Or any espionage that gets added in later DLCs, so I need to have spies within the rear end in a top hat Empire to exfiltrate specs on the Golf-class Cruiser before I can actually recognize what they're carrying. Just something to limit what details we actually know about the people outside our borders, because our scanners don't have infinite resolution and combat identification is still going to be a problem 300 years in the future. Of course, this would be a pain in the rear end to actually implement, so I completely understand if none of this actually happens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also like to play Aurora With Graphics.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

I would also like to play Aurora With Graphics.

It wouldn't need to be that bad; just make every foreign ship "Our scanners can make no sense of this design" until we have some understanding of the technologies involved, either from researching them or from analyzing the debris.

Although as long as we're talking about the game of spreadsheets in space, I'd legitimately appreciate some way to look at all the planets in my empire directly. Like, the Planets and Sectors menus has a list of core planets and the other planets in sectors, so if I want the largest producer of minerals/energy/whatever, that would best benefit from a planetary edict, I need to open each sector and browse through each sector's list of planets, and it'd be nice if I can just get a single combined list of all those planets. Admittedly, this is going to be very different in a week, so this complaint might not be relevant.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 18, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

darthbob88 posted:

On that note, it might be kinda cool to have some form of in-system surveillance and fog-of-war, just so scout fighters and screening ships are useful for something other than long-range attacks. Possibly just something like
  • Outside system: "Unknown/Hostile fleet approaching", same as current.
  • In-system: "Fleet IFF detected, rear end in a top hat Empire, recorded as Fleet Storm"
  • Closer in-system: "rear end in a top hat fleet spotted, X ships of Cruiser class displacement/Y Destroyers/Z Corvettes".
  • Even closer: "Fleet inspected, power 42069, carrying kinetics/plasma/bombers".
Maybe attach that increasing detail to time spent watching them, so that after a few months within your space/sensor reach, you can recognize them as rear end in a top hat Golf-class cruisers, carrying Mk3 mass drivers. Or any espionage that gets added in later DLCs, so I need to have spies within the rear end in a top hat Empire to exfiltrate specs on the Golf-class Cruiser before I can actually recognize what they're carrying. Just something to limit what details we actually know about the people outside our borders, because our scanners don't have infinite resolution and combat identification is still going to be a problem 300 years in the future. Of course, this would be a pain in the rear end to actually implement, so I completely understand if none of this actually happens.

That sounds like it would add a lot of tedium in exchange for very little new gameplay

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wasn't being facetious, Aurora has a bunch of neat stuff that could probably work well in Stellaris, it models a lot of stuff that it really doesn't need to, because it's basically a pen and paper roleplaying tool that evolved into a 4X, but it also models some cool things, and some of the war patch reminds me of it. Fortresses working like PDC garrisons particularly seems like fun.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 18, 2018

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Time to create Metalhead Barbaric Despoilers so i can have actual Orks in my games :orks:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bloody Pom posted:

Time to create Metalhead Barbaric Despoilers so i can have actual Orks in my games :orks:

They'd be a really great fit for Despoilers. They're super aggressive and barely do any diplomacy besides insulting everyone.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Wanted to play one last pre-Cherryh game and went with Driven Assimilators in a galaxy with only one other AI nation (which I've yet to discover), no FEs, and five times the number of primitive civs.

Resistance is futile.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I want an overlay option than just shows exotic resources

White Coke
May 29, 2015

They'd be a really great fit for Despoilers. They're super aggressive and barely do any diplomacy besides insulting everyone.

The only reason Orks ally with someone is so they'll give them weapons that they'll turn on their erstwhile allies after killing their mutual enemy. Sometimes they won't even wait that long.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I wasn't being facetious, Aurora has a bunch of neat stuff that could probably work well in Stellaris, it models a lot of stuff that it really doesn't need to, because it's basically a pen and paper roleplaying tool that evolved into a 4X, but it also models some cool things, and some of the war patch reminds me of it. Fortresses working like PDC garrisons particularly seems like fun.

The thing from Aurora I want most is the way planetary bodies are generated and can be changed. I love that a world can have such a range of conditions. I love that level of control over atmospheres especially. I don't know if any other game creates such a good feeling of "holy poo poo get the colony ships moving" than when you find a world that doesn't need any terraforming whatsoever, and even those which do need some work can still be super exciting to see.

I've played games of Aurora with no AIs at all just so I can play a game about colonizing and terraforming.

Baronjutter posted:

Only 5 more sleeps guys!
The hype has got me. There's going to be bugs on release. There's going to be balance issues, weird immersion breaking broken fluff, even possibly spelling mistakes. Yet despite it all I just want to take friday off work and dig in.

Same but instead of being sensible and swearing off Stellaris until 2.0 hits I've been sadbrains and doing nothing else :v:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 18, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

e; double posted instead of editing

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

One day C# Aurora will be out. One day.

Speaking of days, its far too many until this expansion is out! Its funny but Paradox (the publishers) are doing the three games coming up in the next few months I'm looking forward to, Apocalypse, Battletech, and Surviving Mars (though I'm starting to cool on surviving mars based on streams).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

The thing from Aurora I want most is the way planetary bodies are generated and can be changed. I love that a world can have such a range of conditions. I love that level of control over atmospheres especially. I don't know if any other game creates such a good feeling of "holy poo poo get the colony ships moving" than when you find a world that doesn't need any terraforming whatsoever, and even those which do need some work can still be super exciting to see.

I've played games of Aurora with no AIs at all just so I can play a game about colonizing and terraforming.

Yeah I really do enjoy the range of content and, I suppose, environmental hostility of Aurora, definitely something I would like more of in Stellaris and terrain effects/FTL changes are a nice step towards that. I already play with habitable worlds turned right down and the new claim mechanics are going to really help with that. Stuff that makes terraforming/world types more in depth would be neat (I like Alphamod's changes to them quite a lot, with worlds having unique biome resources and much more variety in what's habitable, plus having extreme colonization of gas giants and volcanic worlds and such) and Real Space is going to be awesome with having to cross systems to get to other jump points.

I think Stellaris is most fun when you're working with limited tech and resources so basically my ideal direction for the game is to further restrict your ability to turn into a late game empire that can terraform everything and see everything and go everywhere. Variable tech trees, in-navigable areas of space, low level crises and hostiles to make expansion harder and create pockets of resistance later in the game, all sorts of stuff like that. PvE stellaris would honestly be pretty fun for me.

If I've one complaint it's that it's way too easy to stick a flag in space and call it done. I like strategy games where just doing that is an accomplishment.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 18, 2018

• Locked thread