Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hello TC in that game here.

Here is my PG at about the point I AI'd - they started off with just D10 and the Fear bless, I later empowered in F to make a skull at some point for some reason (maybe just economic, to boost F on a Flame Spirit to alchemise gems with) and W presumably to make a Rune Smasher? can't remember, and then empowered all the way up to S5 to forge / cast globals.

The map was one of the most bizarre I have ever played on, and a great argument in favour of Corbeau's map generator.

Imagine an olympic diving board where the map is just a huge stumpy ladder, but also there is a diving board right at the top with the sea underneath it. I started on the diving board, bordered by Yomi and Marverni + nobody else, completely hemmed in. I didn't declare war straight away on Yomi because I needed to deal with the sea and peaceful land borders were handy.

After getting the early amphibious mercs (which I was surprised I got and was allowed to keep), I took pretty much the entire ocean for most of the game after Kremath's Fomoria got absolutely trashed by Ur within the first year, and it gave me a huge death income as well as quite a lot of money. There was a throne there that Agartha and I skirmished over for a bit until I put some effort in and took it.

Eventually after sending quite a lot of items to Marverni and getting fat stacks of gems + slaves in return I attacked their capital and used Beast Mastery to steal A Lot of boars at once, which was rude (sorry Decrepus) but did mean that I nearly had the game won after then moving into Yomi and taking all their thrones, using the excellent spell Wizard Tower on an Unfrozen Mage to summon a fort on the Throne of Splendour the turn I took it which meant Yomi had a harder time taking it back (he lost a couple of huge stacks for the cost of a couple of mages + troops, and with a lab in the province I could quite easily Gateway in large amounts of troops from my capital/the other throne of his I held using an Ether Lord).

Then I got ill, dehydrated, and threw the game and Yomi won.

I lost basically because I did the exact wrong thing vs the exact wrong opponent instead of asking for an extension (b/c I do not like extensions). How are u relied mainly on human demon wave attacks that got absolutely bodied several times by my forces for minimal losses. That part went well. On the other hand I also did a bunch of insanely intricate gem burning teleport attacks that cost multiple cap only commanders and literally hundreds of gems in terms of items because I thought it was the only way to win (it wasn't even slightly necessary, and made my loss to Ur much more likely, because I wasted too much energy and too many gems scripting and making sure I had sufficiently gemmed up commanders going hither and thither, and scripted extremely badly / not really at all vs Ur).

Then on 7/9 required throne points (for some reason I thought 7 was enough), I went for a super hail mary teleport attack on a throne belonging to Ur I had attacked before, in the Sick Days, and he didn't have much PD in after retaking, which involved four Gate Cleaving commanders, a shademail haubergeon/amulet of the fish Bishop Fish I had in the area, multiple magic phase attacks on its adjacent forts to stop troops moving back to defend it, and a Stygian Paths cast that killed more than half of the people travelling (very unlikely and grating!) to try to get to c. 225 siege strength (which it did) and clear it out instantly to take it and win the game (which it didn't, largely thanks to the power of N5 Creeping Doom, and Howl wolves not attacking Ur's shamans).

Then I didn't really want to steadily lose even more over the course of a fortnight to a month based on the mistakes I made when ill, so I AI'd.

General tips that people may find useful:

Here are some good and bad points about the Demilich:

Good:

- You can get a reasonable domscore, decent scales and any D bless you like, awake.
- Easy to take other paths to start due to 20 point cost. One point of Air gets you Foul Air if you're that kind of player, one point of Blood might come in handy, you just never know.
- Fun "skull" aesthetic.

Bad:

- Absolutely incapable of casting multiple-gem battlemagic outside of a communion due to extremely low HP (quite a huge deal, this specifically prevents casting Darkness, Life After Death, and Undead Mastery without multiple commander turns on a 3hp pretender / one of your two misc slots being taken up with a Crystal Matrix)
- Tends to get afflictions if damaged at all due to low HP, and immortals do not recuperate without the recuperation tag in dom 5.
- Capable of using Teleport, but not, crucially, Gateway / Stygian Paths, meaning they do not add much strategic mobility to the faction.

My starting bless was Fear, with the dubious notion that EA TC's quite okay if overpriced Wot5E, tankier sacred demons, and ability to summon a ton of sacred ghosts for 1 death gem in battles would be really useful with said bless.

I would say overall the Fear bless is actually Not That Good, and even after I took the Throne of Splendour (awe throne) from Yomi, it wasn't that much of a game changer because it didn't work on such advanced foes as Bugs, who are completely immune to morale effects and have tiny bites that penetrate all armour and invulnerability about 57% of the time (Ur used many of these). Here is an ancestral spirit:

In terms of EA TC, they are a pretty solid faction with a couple of problems.

Good:

- Research is an easy roadmap. Go up Conj to 7 to get 20x Ghosts At Once if you have any kind of bless. On the way, enjoy such delicacies as 1 Ghost at Once at Conj 1 as an alternative to skelespam, Buffalos (Size 4 trampler summon at N2, honestly kinda OP), all your sacred demons, the Huli Jing (N3, 3x 50% AWES, 1x 25% AWEN), and then 20 Ghosts at Once, and potentially spammable with good income Wraith Lord summons if you're not playing with SILT.
- Mages tend to have quite good, practical paths, although lack of a W-path W boosting spell on land can be annoying.
- Good national item "Armor of the Five Elements" which is a low enc, solid prot, MR + elemental resist armour at Constr 2.

Bad:

- Troops tend to have their rear end kicked by anything bigger than a human, and your archers are a little overpriced res wise.
- You can have a hard time getting an ES crosspath to forge Crystal Matrices/Shields, which you definitely want.
- Without a high D pretender you have minimal access to higher Death than 1 until Ench 6, where sometimes a Celestial Master can cast Hidden in Snow.
- Broad/strong mages are cap only, and there's 2 of them you want.
- Fatigue changes mean you need to go into communions and/or use Coral Blades and Amulet of Giants to cast Fog Warriors, Howl and so on without killing + with a reduced chance of maiming your own mages, but your only native S is 25% of Masters of the Way, which are not even slightly cheap.
- Pretender selection is garbage. Your only real expander is the earth snek, for one thing.

In summation, gg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nice write ups

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks to both of you for the writeups.

Yomi mentioned that luck was made worse in D5, can someone elaborate on that?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Chakan posted:

Thanks to both of you for the writeups.

Yomi mentioned that luck was made worse in D5, can someone elaborate on that?

I'll leave it to one of the code divers to give the long answer, but I believe the short answer is that there are very few/no events locked behind having Luck scales, and that paying the scale cost for "better" Luck isn't worth it, in comparison to taking the same amount in another scale/more spell levels/awake pretender/etc.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Copper arm coral blade for demilich or a giant amulet + Tele from friendly dom

And yeah I'm also regretting d10 fear bless. At least it's cheap

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the reason luck 3 is bad now is not that theres less events locked behind luck scales, its that they added a bunch of insanely crippling bad events that don't care if you have luck or not, and also made luck less effective for causing good events and misfortune less effective for causing bad events

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Copper arm coral blade for demilich or a giant amulet + Tele from friendly dom
yeah this is The Strat I think, but tragically my brain was not working at a crucial time. Even then it is a bit risky to TP in a c.10hp commander into any fight late game when you might actually want high level magic, since you're quite likely to be running into all kinds of mass evocation that owns a chassis with no elemental resists other than cold.

Another Word of Warning I will say is that at least in 5.12, when fatigue damage was harsher, casting Life after Death with an Amulet of Giants'd Wraith Lord with a Skull Stick gave them afflictions pretty much every time due to the damage. Might be a bit less punishing nowadays, but I even had a Lich muted by casting it (which is pretty much the worst possible thing to happen since the whole point of getting a lich over a Wraith Lord is their starting Death level being 1 higher).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Basically, for Luck, here is a simplification (and correct me if this is too inaccurate):

1) Events are either tagged 'good' or 'bad', no degrees of badness or goodness
2) The effect of Luck scale on choice of 'good' or 'bad' is fairly small
3) Events can check scales before they go off, but many bad ones don't check for Misf being present.
4) Thus huge poploss or uprising events can still occur in a L3 prov*, especially if you dumped other scales to buy L

*Even your capital!!!

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jBrereton posted:

yeah this is The Strat I think, but tragically my brain was not working at a crucial time. Even then it is a bit risky to TP in a c.10hp commander into any fight late game when you might actually want high level magic, since you're quite likely to be running into all kinds of mass evocation that owns a chassis with no elemental resists other than cold.

Another Word of Warning I will say is that at least in 5.12, when fatigue damage was harsher, casting Life after Death with an Amulet of Giants'd Wraith Lord with a Skull Stick gave them afflictions pretty much every time due to the damage. Might be a bit less punishing nowadays, but I even had a Lich muted by casting it (which is pretty much the worst possible thing to happen since the whole point of getting a lich over a Wraith Lord is their starting Death level being 1 higher).

What specifically was the fatigue change? I've sort of vaguely noticed the damage problem but I've only really played some dinky little blitzes (where, incidentally, it's harder to go examine your performance with a microscope!).

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the fatigue change is that instead of only communion slaves being able to take damage from going over 200 fatigue now everyone does, and also that you get twice as much damage from fatigue as previously. so if you cast a spell with 600 fatigue on it and you have 3 hp you instnatly explode

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Late Stage Capitalism is over and Ragha (me) won. I'll maybe do a writeup sometime when I can be bothered to do screenshots maybe. I lurched from crippled rump state neighbor to crippled rump state neighbor mercy killing them. This map had some truly brutal chokepoints that basically made it nearly impossible for some nations (Pyth, Utgart and Ctis come to mind) get going.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Hello and welcome to THE PANKOR SYSTEM. This is your friendly local moon skeletons, coming at you live from the nearest ringworld. Time for the travel and weather report from the plane of the ecliptic on out.

First up we have Pankor-1, currently overrun by Agartha. Something of a backwater but it does have great connections down to Pankor-5.

Over on Pankor-2 there appears to be a bit of a knife fight going on between Ulm and Arcosephale. At first glance Ulm seems to have slightly more the non-desert provinces in hand, but a look at the income-o-meter indicates Arco actually has about 30% more gold flowing in. Be interesting to see how these fine folks resolve their differences.

Also in the neighbourhood are your friendly local moon skeletons, spread across three moons and the ringworld. I'll tell you folks, these moons are crap for income. But hey, what a view.

Over on Pankor-3 Asphodel, Bandar Log and Marignon seem to be indulging in a bit of a three-way. No clear 'winner' here yet, though Marignon claims to have 'smashed' a couple of 'large stacks' in the last few turns.

Pankor-4 sees Shinuyama getting hosed up by T'ien Ch'i, while R'lyeh sits pretty with a surprisingly large number of provinces. Vanheim is also arsing around not seemingly doing much, while I'm doing my hardest to get the polar ice cap to chill out again.

Last but not least down on Pankor-5 we seem to have Nazca, Abysia, Oceania, Man, Mictlan and Ys all having a massive brawl. Honestly I ain't got a clue what's going on down there, 'cept Nazca seems to be getting hammered.

Anyway enough waffle, time for graphs. As a reminder, if anyone wants more deets on their nearest throne or the choicest enemy provinces, this station glady takes donations in gems or gold. (Not loving bitcoin, stop it with that poo poo).

Provinces:

Man is the Man, closely followed by R'y'le'h. Nazca and a few others seem to be taking a bit of a kicking.

Forts:

Winner: Man!

Income

Winner: Man! By quite a lot! Boy, uh, kinda makes you wonder what them folks on Pankor-5 are up to.

Gems:

Winner: Ma... - ???. A toss-up between T'ien Ch'i, R'lyeh and Arco.

Research:

Winner: Abysia! Somehow! But don't worry, Man is closing in fast.

Dominion:

Not much in it, but ... Man!

Army Size:

Well, it used to be Asphodel's free spawners. But lately it seems to be T'ien Ch'i, narrowly pipping ... oh good grief, Man!

That's all folks.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
I'm Man, and I owe most of my success to being able to take all the farmland in the Eastern seaboard because there was no aquatic nation in 98 to fight with, and the other neighbor down there (Nazca) having a standoff with Pythium for like the first 10 turns since their caps were adjacent and being unable to expand North.

So really the map hosed over Nazca and Pythium, and double helped me!

Let that be a lesson regarding fixed placement maps.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Stay safe moon skeletons

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I bought D4 years ago and never got past the tutorial. I take it i should not buy this.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Synthbuttrange posted:

I bought D4 years ago and never got past the tutorial. I take it i should not buy this.

Either way watch some LP. Gives you an idea for the interface.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

RockyB posted:

Over on Pankor-3 Asphodel, Bandar Log and Marignon seem to be indulging in a bit of a three-way. No clear 'winner' here yet, though Marignon claims to have 'smashed' a couple of 'large stacks' in the last few turns.

Army Size:

Well, it used to be Asphodel's free spawners. But lately it seems to be T'ien Ch'i, narrowly pipping ... oh good grief, Man!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Apparently if you cast a ritual the same turn you get eaten by an assasination spell but you have bodyguards, the bodyguard ends up being the "caster' of the ritual. I have a dome of solid air and a dome of flame that got cast this turn, but they got killed off by horrors. But their Wight/Mechanical man bodyguards are listed as the caster on the rituals :iiam:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
New contour-based deep sea borders in isometric mode:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there some configuration that allows the user to set the number of provinces per player or to increase up to 32 players? (I like ridiculous map sizes.)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
No.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I cast Burden of Time in lmao.

I'm so sorry.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm so sorry.

Dead to me.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Corbeau posted:

New contour-based deep sea borders in isometric mode:

This looks very good

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm so sorry.

I was thinking of.doing that if you started to roll me badly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Could I get a 12 hour extension in the lmao game? I'm not sure if I can post my turn today.

Edit: nevermind. I ended up with a few extra minutes this morning.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 20, 2018

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I have been recording my turns in silt-yomimod-game, and now that it is drawing to a close I have uploaded the videos to YouTube. If you're looking for an in-depth examination of EA Sauromatia, and how to leverage their strengths into a dominant endgame position then this is series for you.

For you to skip that is because I fuckin suck rear end bitch!! get outta here!! watch me trip over a Demilich and get owned by barbarians for ten thousand years!!

PLAYLIST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3fgNyV9o8Q

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I’m playing EA Caelum against a close up Arco using extremely lightning resistant blessed Wind Riders. Any tips? My god is a dormant rainbow mage. I’m recruiting lance infantry and Caelian Seraphs, it’s turn 5.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

avoraciopoctules posted:

I’m playing EA Caelum against a close up Arco using extremely lightning resistant blessed Wind Riders. Any tips? My god is a dormant rainbow mage. I’m recruiting lance infantry and Caelian Seraphs, it’s turn 5.

Super Early game - Cast false fetters on eagle kings, decay on death mages, combustion on fire mages or you could even use water gems to cast numbness/desiccation on water mages.

Mid game - you can kill them with Frozen heart casters.

If he's rushing you don't be afraid to dump every single mage out of your fort in one go along with some troops and spam all the spells at him.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Anybody got any tips for early/mid game MA Asphodel vs Marignon? I have no astral mages and everything I have dies instantly to Ashes To Ashes from massed Friars protected by blessed knights.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gonadic io posted:

Anybody got any tips for early/mid game MA Asphodel vs Marignon? I have no astral mages and everything I have dies instantly to Ashes To Ashes from massed Friars protected by blessed knights.

make blake centaurs

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Make a 75 turn NAP with Marignon

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
if you PM a bot the exact phrase "There shall be peas in our time" they immediately cease all hostility. i think its a developer in-joke.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Here is a link to Jerek's LP of Pankor System for anyone who hasn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAzHZBddToc

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

go AI

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gonadic io posted:

Anybody got any tips for early/mid game

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Generic sea starts finally a feature:

Should be a new build fairly soon. Not going to finish the last couple features when the current dev version is as far ahead of release as it already is (so probably no sea caves/ocean trenches/roads in the upcoming release).

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
New nations out:

mekone followup, now titled MA Phlegra, Deformed Giants, still with slave soldiers, no sacreds whatsoever and almost entirely random elemental mages and only a single h1aefw1 priest though they do have a nice fae + w random master smith with a 25% resource bonus and I guess an OK affliction resistant thuggable giant commander if you don't mind the gluttony and causes unrest.

MA Phaeacia, Dark Ships which is a Mekone+Berytos merger with an island start, bonus income on coasts, dominion gives ocean sailing, income traced across oceans, annual freespawn giants. Trrops wise, it's a thoroughly unremarkable human hoplite nation with elemental mages and slightly bigger hoplites for a sacred.

Supposedly there's a bunch of new events for these but I haven't had a chance to see how they play in game yet.

Illwinter has been on a bit of a greece binge recently.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Devils from Soul Contracts could disturb the bodyguard squad => Classic Dominions change log entry!

Gigantes affliction resistance and cheaper
Gigantes of Mekone more skillful
God Slayer Spear +1 att & dmg
Dragon Teeth, number of effects 5 -> 10
Cyclops Shepard Shaman with Muflons
Mekone: Geronte and Ephor cheaper
Mekone: Basileus +1 water magic
New spell for greeks: Forge Brass Bull, Craft Keledone
New spell Summon Hound of Twilight for all Greek nations

Enough changes to make Mekone competitive?

Army rout less affected by PD and slaves dying => nice!

Riches from Beneath gives more gold too and is extra good for mines => this also caught my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Game is becoming... good?