Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
So I just checked and for some reason you can get Vol 2 The Worst Song Played On The Ugliest Guitar new from amazon, but the great outdoor fight and vol 3 are third-party sellers only. seems odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

So I just checked and for some reason you can get Vol 2 The Worst Song Played On The Ugliest Guitar new from amazon, but the great outdoor fight and vol 3 are third-party sellers only. seems odd

I took a look because I was curious, and I'm surprised they haven't been afflicted with the usual practice by hoarding Amazon assholes where anything out of print is priced into the stratosphere.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I came to that conclusion some months ago and a helpful goon offered a bookstore in Portland that had some used copies for cheap. I’ll try and dig up the link

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

ryonguy posted:

I took a look because I was curious, and I'm surprised they haven't been afflicted with the usual practice by hoarding Amazon assholes where anything out of print is priced into the stratosphere.

Those are usually bots IRRC

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bust Rodd posted:

I came to that conclusion some months ago and a helpful goon offered a bookstore in Portland that had some used copies for cheap. I’ll try and dig up the link
Things From Another World had at least volumes 2 and 3 for like $8 each back in August. I don't know if they still do or if that was the post you saw.

edit: that was this post:

DNA Cowboys posted:

Will this do? I make an order from TFAW every month or two and haven't had any problems.
back in late August

(it's actually where I got my own copy of vol.2 back in 2014, searching my gmail)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I love this panel and this thought.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Toebone posted:

Those are usually bots IRRC

The ones that are $999 usually are, but the ones that are "only" two to three times the original price are scalpers. It's what happened when the Bone: One Volume Edition hardcover came out. Assholes deliberately bought dozens of copies with the intent of marking them up because it was only a 1000 edition run, and one or two even had the gall to defend themselves online about doing so. That's the comics industry for ya. It originally went for $99 (I think). It doesn't go for less than $500-600 now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

The ones that are $999 usually are, but the ones that are "only" two to three times the original price are scalpers. It's what happened when the Bone: One Volume Edition hardcover came out. Assholes deliberately bought dozens of copies with the intent of marking them up because it was only a 1000 edition run, and one or two even had the gall to defend themselves online about doing so. That's the comics industry for ya. It originally went for $99 (I think). It doesn't go for less than $500-600 now.

No, making money off of nerds always cool and good. If there is demand then why only print 1000 of them.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Amazon is a terrible place to buy rare things. Go for ebay or independent booksellers or even fansites, if such a thing exists for achewood today.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

No, making money off of nerds always cool and good. If there is demand then why only print 1000 of them.

It was a hardcover "special edition". However, they never made another black and white HC, which vexes me because there's no reason not to. There's a color edition, but gently caress buying color comics that were originally published in black and white because they always look like rear end since they were drawn and laid out specifically with the lack of color in mind. I'm happy with my signed softcover though.

ColdPie posted:

Amazon is a terrible place to buy rare things. Go for ebay or independent booksellers or even fansites, if such a thing exists for achewood today.
Ebay is where the hoarding assholes are selling them for half a grand plus. It's no better than any other marketplace. And all the online indy comic retailers are the same assholes who hoarded it in the first place so gently caress them. The death of print comics cannot come soon enough, the sooner these Comic Book Guy dipshits are forced to give up their nerd caves and get real jobs the better.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 17, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ryonguy posted:

There's a color edition, but gently caress buying color comics that were originally published in black and white because they always look like rear end since they were drawn and laid out specifically with the lack of color in mind.
The only thing worse than a color edition of B&W is a recolor edition of colored things. I agree with this sentiment.

(img-moebius-recolor-comic.jpg) (img-that-girl-in-flex-mentallo-who-went-from-black-to-white.jpg) etc

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The only thing worse than a color edition of B&W is a recolor edition of colored things. I agree with this sentiment.

(img-moebius-recolor-comic.jpg) (img-that-girl-in-flex-mentallo-who-went-from-black-to-white.jpg) etc

Boneyard by Richard Moore was originally a black and white comic, but only has color trades for the first four volumes still in print, and the color is slightly off-register in all of them.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Dinosaur comics has a secret alt-text that's visible only to RSS users

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JethroMcB posted:

I feel like every time I go through an Achewood binge I inevitably stumble upon a strip referencing That rear end in a top hat and it makes me remember that he was a personality long after I wrote him off as a joke.

dude Trump was a loving national joke going back at least to the 80s. Bloom County had a whole loving storyline where Trump's brain got transplanted into Bill the Cat's body.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02182004
This is me whenever I try to go clothes shopping.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

RIP Todd T Squirrel (again), sleeping off a bender in the gutter

https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/972941782634913798

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s pretty badass that I saw that and the first thing I pictured was a half-white painted Todd in the backyard getting hosed down by Lionel and Teodor while they are both sobbing uncontrollably with laughter while Todd tells them to both “P-p-p-piss the frick off!”

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just remembered J.J. The Land-Retard and lol'd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did anybody ever get a free copy of that strip?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Smirr posted:

I just remembered J.J. The Land-Retard and lol'd

Smirr

have my retarded baby

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Smirr will haz ur retarded baby, Halloween Jack ;)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh jesus come on dude don't get into that stuff

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Not for use in hairstyling; not guaranteed to create "Gruesome little curls."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hi. I'm randomly remembering the strips where Ray met his half-brother Dornheim and they bonded over how their father left, the only thing they have in common.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bongo Bill posted:

Hi. I'm randomly remembering the strips where Ray met his half-brother Dornheim and they bonded over how their father left, the only thing they have in common.

Cabs are a penny, right?

PS No cab has been called

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Cabs are a penny, right?

PS No cab has been called

Instantly went to the next strip because who can read only ONE Achewood strip, and of course it's this beauty I had completely forgotten about.

"Shame to waste some Chucks."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The phrase "pupils the size of neutrons" barges into my consciousness once or twice a month

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just love whenever the characters sit down to write something. Especially Philippe, who just runs directly to the typewriter, bangs something out and then just runs away all happy once he's done :3:

Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Harry Potter: Four Years Later
Harry Potter and the Difference Between Alternating Current and Direct Current
Philippe's Personal Harry Potter Story That He Invented

:allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 17, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've been thinking about the concept of "real M&M's people" who would appreciate a second hand figurine of a grumpy M&M in a recliner

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Spotify just played me 'King of Kings' and despite it being sung by the Mayor Of Drinkin' Island himself, it sounds like exactly the sort of thing Nice Pete's 'Mister Band' would have released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK0krpI5Ch4

The King grinned red
As he walked from the blaze
Where the traitor lost both his name and his face
Through the halls and the corridors
Stinging in blood
He tasted his grin and it tasted good
The King took his head
Left him broken and dead

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
IN A MIGHTY EARTHEN CROCK
A LORD WAS BOILED WITH HIS BEEF

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

something that's always bugged me - always, and forever - is that the labyrinth/coelacanth couplet does not scan at all. with correct seel-o-canth pronunciation, it's missing a syllable and the stresses are in all the wrong places, even if you shorten labyrinth to lab-rinth instead of lab-y-rinth.

unless you are a person who has not heard it pronounced, and believes it to be pronounced coh-eel-a-canth. Onstad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

lab-o-ranth is close enough. It's a slant rhyme.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

unless you are a person who has not heard it pronounced, and believes it to be pronounced coh-eel-a-canth. Onstad.
I mean this is Ray saying it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sometimes two stoned dudes on a rooftop just don't rhyme right.

Also in that comic, it's fun to notice when characters switch from thinking their internal monologues to speaking them out loud. I always notice it in this one. I imagine watching Ray pacing silently back and forth and then exclaiming two nonsequiturs to no one and it cracks me up.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Strips like this make me feel deeply for Beef.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Who What Now posted:

Strips like this make me feel deeply for Beef.

The dude is from Circumstances.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I once walked into a room where someone had just asked my best friend “what is that guys deal?” and my BFF said “the dude is from circumstances” and she was like “oh that makes sense”

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have had occasion to use that phrase more than once and had been understood perfectly each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

idk i tend to hang out with well adjusted people