Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Oh okay good, I thought it was just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:ohdear:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

starkebn posted:

He's got nothing on this guy

This joke has aged like fine wine.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

everyone who isn't your direct family or friend who pretends to care about you is using you.

also most of your direct family and friends.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

This joke has aged like fine wine.

:smithicide:

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

starkebn posted:

He's got nothing on this guy

Yeah, gently caress that guy.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Straight White Shark posted:

also most of your direct family and friends.

Also yourself

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think the solution to the mass shooting problem in the US is obviously increased gun control, but I think the way to do it (that will never happen because it sounds bad) is increased police power. If the cops visit your house over 30 times and the FBI is warned about you, the person in question should be treated like a criminal on probation - regular unannounced inspections of where they live, possibly even constant surveillance via an ankle monitor or similar and they should forfeit the right to own any weapons. Trying to control it by introducing mental health exams or gun safety classes etc might stop a tiny percentage of the cases, but if you really want to solve the problem you have to take a stronger approach.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The NRA and the republicans owned by the NRA don't want gun control because they like gun crimes. Every time there's a school shooting I think gun sales go up so it makes the NRA and their friends happy and rich. There will be no solution because half the country doesn't want one.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Feb 16, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think the solution to the mass shooting problem in the US is obviously increased gun control, but I think the way to do it (that will never happen because it sounds bad) is increased police power. If the cops visit your house over 30 times and the FBI is warned about you, the person in question should be treated like a criminal on probation - regular unannounced inspections of where they live, possibly even constant surveillance via an ankle monitor or similar and they should forfeit the right to own any weapons. Trying to control it by introducing mental health exams or gun safety classes etc might stop a tiny percentage of the cases, but if you really want to solve the problem you have to take a stronger approach.

It sounds bad because it is bad. Have you seen American police?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

It sounds bad because it is bad. Have you seen American police?

I don't mean their authority to beat innocent people to death, I mean their authority to constantly monitor technically innocent people at all times if they think they might pose a threat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m a gay jew and I like being used by the left bc it results in increases minority rights. Being used by the right results in fygm policy being pushed wih “seee, see, even HE agrees! (Ps did you know that he would be EXECUTED by MUSLIM TERRORISTS in PALESTINE?”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The NRA and the republicans owned by the NRA don't want gun control because they like gun crimes. Every time there's a school shooting I think gun sales go up so it makes the NRA and their friends happy and rich. There will be no solution because half the country doesn't want one.

I've got bad news for you if you think it's just Republicans that take money from the NRA lobby. You're right about the no solution, but it's because the government and lobbyists don't want one, not because half the country doesn't want one. Same with socialized healthcare. The country wants it, but the government and the lobbyists don't.

Representative democracy!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

let's just stop calling it a democracy already

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Humans should no longer have the option of being buried in a coffin. We should all be pulverized and whipped into a liquid then spread over the earth so that the soil gets our nutrients back.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Humans should no longer have the option of being buried in a coffin. We should all be pulverized and whipped into a liquid then spread over the earth so that the soil gets our nutrients back.

It's gonna get our nutrients back eventually. Coffins just buy us time to be brought back to life by future technology! Also they turn us into a kind of gooey soup full of gut bacteria and poop!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Instead of salting the soiling of our enemies like in the past, we should fertilize their soil with their own corpses so that they can become a productive part of the glorious american empire.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
At the time, I wasn't ready for GBS 1.0 to transition. But it made me go to PYF more regularly. Now, though, I like the challenge of posting in the toxic poopscape of GBS 2.0 like exiting the subway in Metro 2033

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Stalin was bad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Caufman posted:

At the time, I wasn't ready for GBS 1.0 to transition. But it made me go to PYF more regularly. Now, though, I like the challenge of posting in the toxic poopscape of GBS 2.0 like exiting the subway in Metro 2033

It was a strange uncertain time to be sure. But we pulled through.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Americans should stop hoping and praying for more mass murder. It's not nice!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Americans should stop hoping and praying for more mass murder. It's not nice!

As a nation, we are deeply suicidal.

oldpainless posted:

It was a strange uncertain time to be sure. But we pulled through.

I don't know about you, but I feel now as though we are kin, because those who shitpost with me today shall be my brothers and sisters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Caufman posted:

Same, but posting in the stilted, unfunny and witless wasteland of PYF.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Stalin was bad
The Death of Stalin was a good movie though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stalin Out would have been a good name for a car show if he had gotten into auto repair and tv hosting instead of the dictator stuff.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
WATCHING IS MANDATORY.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I don't mean their authority to beat innocent people to death, I mean their authority to constantly monitor technically innocent people at all times if they think they might pose a threat.

That's just the liberal version of "deploy squads of veterans to patrol every school in the country." At best it's logistically impossible and would more likely lead to something worse than random mass killings.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MizPiz posted:

That's just the liberal version of "deploy squads of veterans to patrol every school in the country." At best it's logistically impossible and would more likely lead to something worse than random mass killings.

Just let the military do it, divert some of the drone-striking weddings money into making sure no american citizens are up to no good (and drone strike them if they are).

e: I mean they're already doing it anyway to some degree. just be open about it so we can stop pretending to have a right to privacy.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Feb 17, 2018

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I've noticed a paradox of sorts from certain types about criminals.

GIven the chance, they will proclaim that all criminals are insane, and therefore are not responsible for their actions.

However, they also use that "the insane are more likely to be victims of crime than criminals themselves"* statistic whenever the subject comes up.

Which is it?

* = Which is an unquestionable orthodoxy which cannot be doubted in any way, and it is a heretical taboo to do so.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Both are good reasons to never trust them.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Linking crimes to mental illness is an extremely tired attempt to absolve a society of whatever issues are actually causing those crimes, even when one of the issues is a lack of mental healthcare. Trying to "diagnose" crime like it's a form of abnormal behavior instead of a direct response to the social and economic factors an individual experiences only serves to justify the castle doctrine/stand your ground mentality.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

All crime, and honestly, all resistance to Authority is a failure of that Authority to care for and train its Citizenry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Just let the military do it, divert some of the drone-striking weddings money into making sure no american citizens are up to no good (and drone strike them if they are).

e: I mean they're already doing it anyway to some degree. just be open about it so we can stop pretending to have a right to privacy.

Of course you would have a hard on for a nightmarish military - police state.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I've noticed a paradox of sorts from certain types about criminals.

GIven the chance, they will proclaim that all criminals are insane, and therefore are not responsible for their actions.

However, they also use that "the insane are more likely to be victims of crime than criminals themselves"* statistic whenever the subject comes up.

Which is it?

* = Which is an unquestionable orthodoxy which cannot be doubted in any way, and it is a heretical taboo to do so.

"Mental illness" has been co-opted by the right as a dog whistle for "that guy was a freak, good thing we shot him" and as a way to obfuscate real systemic causes of criminality. Don't assume that just because somebody uses this phrase they have an ounce of empathy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Of course you would have a hard on for a nightmarish military - police state.

It's where we're heading anyway, I say just rip the bandaid off and get used to it instead of all these small steps toward it trying to ease us into it. Most people will never like it no matter how slow you take it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

"Mental illness" has been co-opted by the right as a dog whistle for "that guy was a freak, good thing we shot him" and as a way to obfuscate real systemic causes of criminality. Don't assume that just because somebody uses this phrase they have an ounce of empathy.

"Mental illness" from the right is code for we aren't planning on attempting to do anything about this/nothing could have been done to stop this at this point. I've actually loled while watching some of these guys act all somber, shaking their heads while they basically say "gently caress you! gently caress your kids! Hope you don't get killed in a mass murder scrub!"

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Feb 17, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

"Mental illness" from the right is code for we aren't planning on attempting to do anything about this/nothing could have been done to stop this at this point.

Well, yes, that's what I said?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Well, yes, that's what I said?

I was just agreeing with you. I guess I didn't add much.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Linking crimes to mental illness is an extremely tired attempt to absolve a society of whatever issues are actually causing those crimes, even when one of the issues is a lack of mental healthcare. Trying to "diagnose" crime like it's a form of abnormal behavior instead of a direct response to the social and economic factors an individual experiences only serves to justify the castle doctrine/stand your ground mentality.

Related to this is the idea that certain people are "criminals" and not just "normal people who have committed a crime"

Like a huge chunk of the population believes in the ideas of "criminals" who just live their lives by committing crimes at every possible chance they get, like comic book criminals. They're not stealing poo poo to survive, they just "commit crime"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Related to this is the idea that certain people are "criminals" and not just "normal people who have committed a crime"

Like a huge chunk of the population believes in the ideas of "criminals" who just live their lives by committing crimes at every possible chance they get, like comic book criminals. They're not stealing poo poo to survive, they just "commit crime"

Never betray the law.