Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/trolls-are-posting-fake-claims-of-being-assaulted-at?utm_term=.gvxYNeQl#.ctwonj8m

Who else got beat up at the theater for going to go see Black Panther?

Edit - Images in the link have pictures of abused women that may be graphic.

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ryan Coogler has directly come out and said that the Soul stone is not in Black Panther.

quote:

“I love the Infinity Stones as much as any comic book fan,” Coogler told IGN. “It’s just Wakanda already has its thing, which is Vibranium. For us, that was special enough. So to throw in something like another special thing didn’t feel right. It felt like we should stick with our one MacGuffin for the country and explore that. Let that be the important thing because, frankly we didn’t need to have another piece like that.”

“[Marvel Studios] never really was interested in putting a stone in there, either,” he concluded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Although it seems like it must be there in Infinity War.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe thanos is just an old school imperialist who cant stand to see a prosperous black country

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Maybe the real Soul Stone was the friends we made along th

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It could end up being taken there for protection since (Black Panther spoilers) the world knows Wakanda is incredibly technologically advanced.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i want the power team of taika, ryan, and the russos running marvel for a good long while (and add in ava duvernay for good measure)

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/964148543844843520

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

White folks really don't want us to have anything huh

Edit: for those who don't know white people lying about abuse (specifically using white women) to get black people lynched is a tale as old as our country. See also: Emmit Till

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 17, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Roth posted:

maybe put a warning in this post that it's real pictures of abused women was not really looking for that today

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My bad, I thought the images themselves were photoshopped as well

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Koalas March posted:

Not. One. Thing. Especially not a big deal like this. Maybe some independent films about Christian values or respectability politics or whatever Tyler Perry movies are like (I've never been)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's so good you guys

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

My bad, I thought the images themselves were photoshopped as well
So you didn't actually read the article you were posting in your hurry to post it? This is literally the second sentence.

quote:

For example, the photo in this tweet actually shows a 19-year-old Swedish woman who was assaulted at a bar last month.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Not. One. Thing. Especially not a big deal like this. Maybe some independent films about Christian values or respectability politics or whatever Tyler Perry movies are like (I've never been)

oh god, you just reminded me about War Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3noNHoBWfr0

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

So you didn't actually read the article you were posting in your hurry to post it? This is literally the second sentence.

Sleepyposting is a bad idea.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Roth posted:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/trolls-are-posting-fake-claims-of-being-assaulted-at?utm_term=.gvxYNeQl#.ctwonj8m

Edit - Images in the link have pictures of abused women that may be graphic.

Jesus loving Christ this is on the deep end of despicable

LET BLACK PEOPLE ENJOY A FUCKIN MOVIE YOU SNAKEFUCKERS

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Next time you see someone salty about Black Panther existing remind them that Shuri is a Disney Princess.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

JT Smiley posted:

I mean, he did do a lot of hosed up poo poo even if his motives were justified.

Not one thing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I thought I was prepared for how good looking Michael B. Jordan is. Then he took his shirt off.

Mother of God.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Koalas March posted:

Edit: for those who don't know white people lying about abuse (specifically using white women) to get black people lynched is a tale as old as our country. See also: Emmit Till

How often the memorial to Emmit Till is defaced is loving disgusting. Though not surprising.

The irony of the faked stories is they used Porter's wife as one of the beaten women.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving told you guys this poo poo was going to happen.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i do not mean this as an insult because i deeply and truly love Channing Tatum and want him to be in all the movies

but that man's head is far too wide to be Gambit. Gambit has a skinny head, and it goes without saying that Channing Tatum's head is like a square.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m imagining Channing Tater’s enormous head in Gambit’s ridiculous chin mask thing and I can’t stop giggling

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I would watch a multi part documentary about Wakandan architecture and engineering. That poo poo was so COOL.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m imagining Channing Tater’s enormous head in Gambit’s ridiculous chin mask thing and I can’t stop giggling

You think this looks silly?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Koalas March posted:

oh god, you just reminded me about War Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3noNHoBWfr0

Those people were a little different from other "Christian" movies in that their movies were actually naked cash grabs because each one has a person having a change of heart due to a book that the producers are conveniently selling.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Saw BP, it was loving incredible. The group I went with was very pro-Killmonger. My one complaint about the film is that they made him so sympathetic I wish they had gone all the way with it, removed his more over-the-top villainous moments and had them team up (or at least reconcile) at the end. Having the biggest black superhero in a long time (ever?) break superhero tradition and defeat his enemies by making them his friends instead of just beating them up would have made a hell of a statement, not to mention it would dovetail nicely with how he won over M'Baku.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 17, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Black Panther is now tracking for a 3/4 day of $185/$210 million. It also joins The Avengers as the only other live action superhero movie with an A+ Cinemascore (The Incredibles also got an A+). That gives Marvel 10 straight movies with A/A+ score. The last A- they got was for Thor 2.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

X-O posted:

Black Panther is now tracking for a 3/4 day of $185/$210 million. It also joins The Avengers as the only other live action superhero movie with an A+ Cinemascore (The Incredibles also got an A+). That gives Marvel 10 straight movies with A/A+ score. The last A- they got was for Thor 2.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was really impressed with how well Black Panther juggled a huge cast. I read some early reviews saying that Ross and Klaw were wasted/underdeveloped but I thought they both did their roles well. In fact I was surprised at how much of Klaw we got. I just kind of thought we'd see him as the Opening Villain Fight (like Crossbones in Civil War) and that's it. We got a lot of development around Wakanda as a society and the royal family/hierarchy. Acting was top notch. The more personal fights were better than the big sparring sessions but that's such a minor complaint when the film was so drat good.

It is also a very politically charged film. I don't know if it would've come out the same way without Trump. Yeah I know nationalism and isolationism aren't new concepts but I was surprised not only that the film made these statements but how they weaved them into the film's fabric so that it doesn't take you out of the moment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just to put into perspective how rare the A+ Cinemascore is:

A+
The Avengers, Black Panther

A
Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Batman, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, X-Men: Days of Future Past, X2: X-Men United, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Deadpool, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man Homecoming, Thor Ragnarok

A-
Blade, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor: The Dark World, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Forever, 300, X-Men, X-Men: The Last Stand, Man of Steel, The Wolverine, X-Men: Apocalypse, Logan

B+
Blade II, Blade: Trinity, Thor, Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Punisher, Superman Returns, X-Men: First Class, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Suicide Squad, Justice League

B
Batman Returns, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider, Dredd, Judge Dredd, Hellboy: The Golden Army, Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Constantine, Watchmen, Steel, Batman v Superman

B-
Punisher: War Zone, The Hulk, Hellboy

C+
Batman & Robin, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Jonah Hex

C
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

C-
Fantastic Four (2015)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I thought for sure it would be getting reviewbombed to hell and back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought for sure it would be getting reviewbombed to hell and back.

I think Cinemascore is live polling when it ends? You'd have to be pretty mad about there being a black movie to watch the whole thing then do a survey after just to take them down.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cinemascore is the only audience poll that happens right after they see the movie in the theater.

It probably is getting reviewbombed on Rotten Tomatoes since it's at 74% and dropping.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Cinemascore is the only audience poll that happens right after they see the movie in the theater.

It probably is getting reviewbombed on Rotten Tomatoes since it's at 74% and dropping.

User scores rather than critic scores, I assume?

I honestly didn't pay attention to audience scores until the FAILING Last Jedi furore. I just assumed they'd invariably be higher than critic scores.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CzarChasm posted:

You think this looks silly?

This is perfect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I honestly didn't pay attention to audience scores until the FAILING Last Jedi furore. I just assumed they'd invariably be higher than critic scores.

Critic score is 97% ( 100% for Top Critics) and the audience score is 74% right now and it was 76% yesterday so it's dropping.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Saw BP, it was loving incredible. The group I went with was very pro-Killmonger. My one complaint about the film is that they made him so sympathetic I wish they had gone all the way with it, removed his more over-the-top villainous moments and had them team up (or at least reconcile) at the end. Having the biggest black superhero in a long time (ever?) break superhero tradition and defeat his enemies by making them his friends instead of just beating them up would have made a hell of a statement, not to mention it would dovetail nicely with how he won over M'Baku.

I thought they were going in that direction when T'challa took Killmonger up out of the mine and the started talking on the cliff. They had the space to do it, since he took over using their own rules of succession, and he had the support of at least one tribe. So they could have reconciled with some sort of your heart was in the right place, but your methods were wrong. Let's work together conversation. I was pretty disappointed when he offed himself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's 3 kinds of audience score trends for superhero movies and Star Wars:
Agrees with the critics (something good and uncontroversial like Winter Soldier, or bad and nobody is especially attached to the IP like Green Lantern)
The critics are wrong and they're being bribed by Disney! (Franchise I like got low review scores, like BvS. Probably haven't seen the movie yet.)
The critics are wrong and SJWs, feminazis and bribes from Disney! (The movie has a black or female main character and reviewed well. Probably hasn't seen the movie yet, and won't.)

And 4 is inevitable but hasn't happened yet:
Haha, told you feminazis and SJWs! Not even Disney bribes could save it! (The movie has a black or female main character and didn't review well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

gninjagnome posted:

I thought they were going in that direction when T'challa took Killmonger up out of the mine and the started talking on the cliff. They had the space to do it, since he took over using their own rules of succession, and he had the support of at least one tribe. So they could have reconciled with some sort of your heart was in the right place, but your methods were wrong. Let's work together conversation. I was pretty disappointed when he offed himself.

Killmonger was right though, they’d never really trust him and he’d refuse to be imprisoned. Going out on his own terms was the only way he’d truly be free.

• Locked thread