Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

PMush Perfect posted:

Wait, I'm wrong, anyways. It's not Teen Titans, it's X Men.

We already had an X-Men anime, it was called X-Men Evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
It's time for Animeniacs~!

Wait...

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Season 3 - The Traitorous Anime Thread

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

There wasn't as much confusion back when the manga thread was titled Boku no Hero Academia.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Akett posted:

There wasn't as much confusion back when the manga thread was titled Boku no Hero Academia.

what's boku no hero academia

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was also never called that.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/Nel_314/status/959002280921128960

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

SpacePig posted:

We already had an X-Men anime, it was called X-Men Evolution.

This poo poo was so loving good actually

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Actually, X-Men Evolution was garbage. Nightcrawler had no trace of his piousness, Rogue was an angsty goth instead of a headstrong southern belle, Storm might as well have not existed, and it introduced the horrible xxx-treeeeeme character of Spyke. poo poo sucked rear end.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
When's Season 3?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

April.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Actually, X-Men Evolution was garbage. Nightcrawler had no trace of his piousness, Rogue was an angsty goth instead of a headstrong southern belle, Storm might as well have not existed, and it introduced the horrible xxx-treeeeeme character of Spyke. poo poo sucked rear end.

this does not sound like anything worth caring about if i'm being honest

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ninjewtsu posted:

this does not sound like anything worth caring about if i'm being honest

Just like X-Men Evolution! :haw:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Anime third season April 7th

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Reinanigans posted:

Nightcrawler is a poo poo character and being a fan of him is a red flag the likes of being an unironic Cable fan IMO.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don’t even like the X-Men in general, but I’m pretty sure Nightcrawler is always one of the most beloved members. I honestly don’t know much about him beyond his origin/Mystique connection/uses a pirate sword. I also know they kept almost none of his characterization in Evolution.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reinanigans posted:

I don’t even like the X-Men in general, but I’m pretty sure Nightcrawler is always one of the most beloved members. I honestly don’t know much about him beyond his origin/Mystique connection/uses a pirate sword. I also know they kept almost none of his characterization in Evolution.

Nightcrawler is very religious.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 17, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just caught up watching with a good friend and they're very excited to watch the new season week to week! It was a really fun rewatch and I picked up some small details and themes/motifs I missed previously.

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
Hey folks,

I've never watched a second of anime. Nor had I ever thought to try to discover the source of its appeal.

That said, in another discussion, anime was mentioned in the context of a future where "technology saves us" and that seems a great diversion from the madness of our current reality. So, I figure I may give it a spin.

I solicited recommendations in that thread and was directed here (along with some suggestions, and a handy beginners' chart). I would love for more recommendations if any of you have suggestions of anime that you like to suggest to total noobs to the scene.

My real intent, if interested (or not; I'm gonna do it anyway!), is to provide some quick reviews as I watch. I figure it might be fun for some of you to hear the perspective of someone who has absolutely no significant preconceived bias as he approaches the genre. Maybe a different take on discussions and reviews you have all had no doubt countless times.

Thanks!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
odd that you ended up at this thread specifically but my personal favorites that i can think of right now are these, in this order:

flying witch
girls' last tour
mob psycho 100
cowboy bebop
one punch man
gurren lagann
little witch academia

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

bogoodski posted:

Hey folks,

I've never watched a second of anime. Nor had I ever thought to try to discover the source of its appeal.

That said, in another discussion, anime was mentioned in the context of a future where "technology saves us" and that seems a great diversion from the madness of our current reality. So, I figure I may give it a spin.

I solicited recommendations in that thread and was directed here (along with some suggestions, and a handy beginners' chart). I would love for more recommendations if any of you have suggestions of anime that you like to suggest to total noobs to the scene.

My real intent, if interested (or not; I'm gonna do it anyway!), is to provide some quick reviews as I watch. I figure it might be fun for some of you to hear the perspective of someone who has absolutely no significant preconceived bias as he approaches the genre. Maybe a different take on discussions and reviews you have all had no doubt countless times.

Thanks!
Sounds good!

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
Thanks. I keep seeing Cowboy Bebop as a common suggestion, so I may start there. I have some studying to do, so it will be my reward for completing that. Will report later. Appreciate the suggestions.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This is probably more appropriate for the anime recommendation thread, but One Punch Man and Cowboy Bebop are as good of a place to start as any.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Watch FLCL.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Absolutely Cowboy Bebop, though it kind of all goes downhill from there.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is excellent. Make sure it’s Brotherhood, not the original series as that one ends badly.

Gurren Lagann is my personal favorite but it has some cringey cheesecake poo poo, though that’s common in most anime.

First season of Big O is amazing.

In terms of films...start with any Ghibli stuff.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Eela6 posted:

This is probably more appropriate for the anime recommendation thread, but One Punch Man and Cowboy Bebop are as good of a place to start as any.

This.
But also yeah, look at ADTRW and look for the recommendation thread and the chat thread.
If you want bleeding-edge anime, check out the current season thread. (The last two should be bookmarked.)

Also if you can find them, get the old Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OVAs. A great realistic slightly-advanced-tech future, especially if you get high and just sit around thinking about how we're going to slowly destroy humanity.

E: also it has the pretty green-haired lady in my AV in it. She makes good coffee.
E2: Disclaimer-YKK isn't "tech saves us", but I suggest watching it because everything's gonna be okay

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 17, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

bogoodski posted:

Hey folks,

Thanks!

One Punch Man. There is no better introduction anime than that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

punk rebel ecks posted:

One Punch Man. There is no better introduction anime than that.

I'm gonna disagree with this a little bit because having some expectation of how typical anime fights go is what makes a lot of the humor work. Watching something like MHA first might give some decent context to some of the funnier stuff in OPM.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bogoodski posted:

Hey folks,

Thanks!

Honestly, it depends on your tastes. Anime covers a lot of genres. What books/movies/comics do you like?

I'm actually having trouble thinking of an an anime where "technology saves us," oddly enough. Mostly because most of the anime I watch is fantasy or intentionally campy soft-sci-fi. I can think of some anime about how technology won't save us (Psycho-Pass comes to mind). I guess Bodacious Space Pirates is an optimistic sci-fi show.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chihayafuru

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just realized that Super Robot shows have an element of "technology saves us." I haven't watched many straight Super Robot shows, though. Maybe try Gunbuster?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Gunbuster: Shin Prince of Robots

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Honestly, it depends on your tastes. Anime covers a lot of genres. What books/movies/comics do you like?

Yeah this is pretty important. It's a little like asking "give me some good intro shows for American television," it's a really broad range of stuff. I can think of some really grim and dark animes that I both love dearly and also think would be good for someone who otherwise hasn't seen much anime, but obviously if you're not into dark stories then that won't be terribly good for you.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I will never stop recommending YKK to people. Maybe save it for a summer night, get some iced tea and watch it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah the question is like asking "I wanna get into books! What books should I read?" which is a great question but still, whoa

My personal big recommendations for just This Is Great Anime is Mob Psycho 100 and March Comes In Like A Lion if you want something that walks a great line between serious emotional drama and comedy

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Maybe it's because I've only watched 3 anime series total (so far), but it's surprising to me that MHA wasn't mentioned once as an introductory anime, especially given that this is the MHA thread. Is there a reason for that? It happened to be the first one I ever watched and I loved it, though that is just personal anecdotal evidence.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If bogoodski made his own thread just to give updates on his progress and thoughts and reviews on the different shows he's watching I'd be totally down for following that thread.

symbolic posted:

Maybe it's because I've only watched 3 anime series total (so far), but it's surprising to me that MHA wasn't mentioned once as an introductory anime, especially given that this is the MHA thread. Is there a reason for that? It happened to be the first one I ever watched and I loved it, though that is just personal anecdotal evidence.

I think it's probably because MHA is relatively new and doesn't really do anything unique as far as the shonen genre is concerned. It does what it does really well, but what it does is incredibly formulaic and thus far hasn't made any serious attempts to break from that mold.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 18, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MHA is like a B+ choice of introductory anime. It's a good choice, but there's others that are probably universally better for a newcomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Davinci posted:

If bogoodski made his own thread just to give updates on his progress and thoughts and reviews on the different shows he's watching I'd be totally down for following that thread.

I think it's probably because MHA is relatively new and doesn't really do anything unique as far as the shonen genre is concerned. It does what it does really well, but what it does is incredibly formulaic and thus far hasn't made any serious attempts to break from that mold.

Yeah, but a solid, formulaic show that does (almost) everything right is a pretty excellent entry point if you're trying to get a feel for the genre. If you want to try an action anime to get an idea for what action anime are like, My Hero Academia is a very strong choice.

Even if Mob Psycho 100 or Cowboy BeBop or FMA Brotherhood are better shows, MHA is plenty good too.

• Locked thread