Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
keyper good

though it could have been a tiny bit more vicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Gort posted:

I can't imagine being about to retire my mindthief, selling all my gear and enhancing a card for the mindthief. I just got done playing like twenty scenarios as that dude, I'm going to play the other sixteen classes before I get back to him - preferably a class I haven't seen played before in my party.

I'm in the boat where I think it's gamey, but I think I'm a long way away from it being usefully gamey for me.

I mean, you don't get to keep the money anyways. Might as well spend it on a gift for the next person to take the class.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Selecta84 posted:

Thanks.

I guess both plays where with multiple players or did you by any chance tried the solo mode?

My two played were with multiples, but I learned the game playing two handed solo and it was still pretty good. I imagine dedicated solo rules improve things. I bought the game for 10 bucks, so that also colors my opinion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is still looking for the The LotR LCG core set; I've got a very gently used copy I will let go dirt cheap. Didn't click with me or my wife, never got anything beyond the core box and I think one of the card packs.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Corbeau posted:

This is also why money being personal is clearly very intentional: gold and XP are the key ways that this quiet morality system of balancing self-interest and collective benefit are injected into the tactical experience. Given the rest of the game, I don't think that's an accident.

This and battle goals are also a great way to minimise Quarterbacking

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

djfooboo posted:

My two played were with multiples, but I learned the game playing two handed solo and it was still pretty good. I imagine dedicated solo rules improve things. I bought the game for 10 bucks, so that also colors my opinion.

I see.

Around here the cheapest I found was 55 €. That may be a bit much for another medium game in my collection.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I finally managed to get my hands on spirit island. After two playthroughs I could see it staying in the collection for for a very long time.

The beginner mode seems like a great entry experience into heavier games while the scenarios + expansion are suitable for all hobbyists who haven't gone full Grognard.

Has anyone played it with the mat and 6 player tokens yet? I could see it working out quite well, but they only ship it from the US so with shipping it would come out around 100$.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

jivjov posted:

If anyone is still looking for the The LotR LCG core set; I've got a very gently used copy I will let go dirt cheap. Didn't click with me or my wife, never got anything beyond the core box and I think one of the card packs.

I will absolutely take this off your hands. I am out for the day and on mobile but shoot me a pm or something with your price and we can make arrangements.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If people are being dicks about the LOTR Core set, I also have an extra lying around I'd be willing to sell to a goon on the cheap. It doesn't have the box, but if that doesn't bother you just hit me up with a PM.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Is this the set you guys are looking for?
https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147447527/Lord-of-the-Rings-The---The-Card-Game

They have some in stock it looks like.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

jmzero posted:

Do this if you want, but understand that spreading gold to whoever you want is a fair sized buff. We had a bunch of missions that were much harder because we were trying to work around getting gold to the people who needed it. What nobody should do is "straight up let players to give each other gold" - the game is balanced around retirement being a gold sink; if characters can spread stuff around while they're getting old, you're going to have a twinkled-up party that's over-itemized. ...

That's good to keep in mind! Definitely will keep an eye out to make sure we don't screw things up with retirement/make stuff too easy.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
What's the gooncensus on The Prodigal's Club? I can't tell if it looks too complicated for my group, but the theme seems hilarious and I don't really have a worker placement game yet.

Also, does the thread have an opinion between Insider and Werewords? I kinda want the simplicity of Insider, but I've heard there aren't enough words.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Also, does the thread have an opinion between Insider and Werewords? I kinda want the simplicity of Insider, but I've heard there aren't enough words.
If I remember correctly, it's possible to play Insider using the Werewords app.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Magnetic North posted:

What's the gooncensus on The Prodigal's Club? I can't tell if it looks too complicated for my group, but the theme seems hilarious and I don't really have a worker placement game yet.

I like it, it's fun doing your best to lose things. The first time it's kinda complex because each of the 3 competitions is very different from one another, but I would definitely suggest going for all 3 at once from the start. I find the game loses a lot if you don't add the Wealth part, because it limits the other competitions due to the lack of possessions.

His earlier game Last Will is about blowing through the millions your sad rich uncle left you, kinda like Brewster's Millions. It's a mechanically simpler game, but keeps much of the same depth.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My thought on Prodigal's Club is that if you have Last Will, you don't need it, and if you don't have Last Will, you're better off getting Last Will. That's not to say it's a bad game, but it feels unnecessary.

Prodigal's Club is... wider but shallower? There's more to keep up with, but the mechanics aren't as engaging. They also talk up the fact that you can integrate your copy of Last Will directly into the game, but we found that it feels clunky and makes the session take about twice as long. PC's version of the Last Will mechanic is simplified, and it works better that way when you're juggling more elements than just "lose all your money".

So it's an okay game, but I can't recommend it over Last Will.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

What are your thoughts about the Last Will expansion?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've seen the sentiment many times in this thread that many games that support 5 players are not actually good with 5 players. I have a few games that I'm planning to get to the table at future game nights, and sometimes we have a player count of 5.

Which of these actually work well with 5: Archipelago, Concordia, Endeavor, Imperial, Indonesia, Tzolkien w/ Expansion, Kemet.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

medchem posted:

What are your thoughts about the Last Will expansion?

I only played it with the expansion once, and that was 2 player. We didn't mind it, but I can't offer constructive thoughts.

Megasabin posted:

Which of these actually work well with 5: Archipelago, Concordia, Endeavor, Imperial, Indonesia, Tzolkien w/ Expansion, Kemet.

Archipelago works but is long with 5, Concordia with 5 is excellent, as are Endeavour and Kemet. Rest I don't know.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Basically everything nimby said, except I don't know Endeavor. Archipelago gets more fun with every player you add imo.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

WhiteHowler posted:

Prodigal's Club is... wider but shallower? There's more to keep up with, but the mechanics aren't as engaging.

This might actually be a benefit for my group? There aren't many hardcore euro players in there. Then again, many of them have balked at games with lots of rules like Eclipse and I really rather prefer parsimony. I think it's the "Only Scoring The Worst Of All" that attracts me to it. (IIRC, that's a classic Knizia staple? I don't have any of his either.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Megasabin posted:

I've seen the sentiment many times in this thread that many games that support 5 players are not actually good with 5 players. I have a few games that I'm planning to get to the table at future game nights, and sometimes we have a player count of 5.

Battlestar Galactica

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

BGG's award thing made me realize how few new games I play...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If one can't get Gloomhaven (due to shipping here costing around $500), what's the second best co-op dungeon crawler? Imperial Assault?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Actually all of those are best at five for various reasons

Archipelago: the whole point of the game is the footprint the players leave behind. At five you maximize player interaction.

Concordia: Concordia just works well at any player count tbh because they were smart enough to make multiple boards.

Endeavor: More competition for the resources means more interaction between players and attack buildings become a more viable option.

Imperial: As with any stock game, having more people manipulating the market really opens up the game.

Indonesia: Indonesia I'd argue doesn't work at any other number. The setup never changes by player type and the game doesn't move on until there are no more companies left, a number that is always static and limited by how much a player researches which occurs once per turn. At 5 the game actually goes faster than at 3.

Tzolkien: Only played Tzolkien at 4 but gently caress bots in worker placement games so I can't imagine it being any worse at 5.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The bots in tzolkin aren't really bots at all, just blockers making it possible to climb on the wheels as fast as 4p. 3p is very fun.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Indonesia is good at 3, but I haven't played it at 5 admittedly.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Azran posted:

If one can't get Gloomhaven (due to shipping here costing around $500), what's the second best co-op dungeon crawler? Imperial Assault?

Holy mother of God where do you live?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Are you the goon who lives on Antarctic science station?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just lost our 3rd game in a row in the first half of April of Pandemic S2. This poo poo is loving hard, gently caress.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ropes4u posted:

Holy mother of God where do you live?

Argentina. This would be the cheapest way to get it for me.

https://tiendamia.com/ar/producto?amz=B01LZXVN4P

$600 in total through an intermediary that would actually guarantee it gets through customs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Has anyone played the Target special stripped down version of Captain Sonar just called Sonar? I really want to try Captain Sonar but I will never get 10 players together, usually only 4.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I also really wanted to play Captain Sonar and thought I'd never get the chance. I did end up getting the chance and it's just really not fun imo. I didn't enjoy it at all after trying all the roles a few times, and I honestly never want to play it again. Unless you REALLY think it is exactly the type of game you'd love, it's probably going to let you down. It might be fun to me if I were playing with a full group of people I am friends with rather than boardgame nerds.

My experience was playing with a bunch of boardgame nerds, and each time we played it at least one person flipped out about the rules. The first time we had a guy splitting hairs about the "stop" rules, saying that it's impossible to really play the game as the rules say, and he'd do stuff like call out "stop" and then use the paused time to communicate with his team and ask where they want to shoot (which you are supposed to do BEFORE calling stop).

The second time I played, the guy who taught the game thought one of the players was unclear on a rule, so he asked him if he was doing something one way or another (I can't remember what it specifically was), and the guy he asked interpreted the question as an accusation of cheating. The guy asking the question said he was not accusing or implying that at all, just saying that's it's hard in real-time to make sure everyone is clear on the rules, and he wanted to double check. The other guy got even more angry and ragequit the game, then was angry about it the whole rest of the day.

Even without these annoying people flipping out over the game, I still wouldn't have enjoyed it. The people getting mad and all the problems we had playing it were an inherent issue with the way the game plays in real time. You can end up having annoying grey areas and questions of interpretation for how certain rules work, and it's overall just really really not that fun. Each role is not very satisfying by itself, and there's no real feeling for me of "I want to get really good at being engineer, let's play ten more games so I can really figure it out."

The game just disperses responsibility out so much that no one is really doing anything very fun, and when you win or don't win it feels so spread out who messed up or who did well that there is no real sense of accomplishment or failure.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi board game thread, I'm bored and going to the store, what are some Board Games I should look at?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

canyoneer posted:

Has anyone played the Target special stripped down version of Captain Sonar just called Sonar? I really want to try Captain Sonar but I will never get 10 players together, usually only 4.

Yes. It's a lot simpler, overall, although torpedoes have to be direct hits instead of in the vicinity. It's simple enough that a kid can play it, but apparently it's tough enough that my brother-in-law cannot out navigate me.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

food court bailiff posted:

Hi board game thread, I'm bored and going to the store, what are some Board Games I should look at?
Since you didn't give any info on your gaming background or preferences, I'll just say buy Talisman.

Don't loving buy Talisman.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Azran posted:

$600 in total through an intermediary that would actually guarantee it gets through customs.

This is probably still not an appealing price but I have a spare copy I could ship from NZ that would cost you $350usd shipped. I have no idea about customs though, that's just what our post service calculates for international shipping (plus the cost of the game)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Azran posted:

I’m sorry friend, probably cheaper to have someone bring it in their luggage when they visit from somewhere.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

food court bailiff posted:

Gloomhaven is the answer to all questions.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

angel opportunity posted:

I also really wanted to play Captain Sonar and

Wow that sucks. I get that the game didn't work for you separate from the other players but playing a real time limited communication team game with those type of players sounds genuinely awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gloomhaven is the answer to all questions.

Us cool kids have had Gloomhaven for months, man.