Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Kith posted:

Blizzard is apparently in the process of doing a secret thing related to Warcraft III, likely to be either Warcraft III HD/Remastered or Warcraft IV. I personally doubt that it's HD/Remastered, considering that multiple SCII projects dedicated to remaking Warcraft III have been in motion for some time, but there's still a reasonable chance that it will be.

"Some fans are doing it (kinda) in SC2's editor" isn't even close to a reason for Blizzard to not do something. Of course it's a remastered WC3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Cythereal posted:

(...) While native to the deep oceans, murlocs can live in fresh water as well as salt, and can be found pretty much everywhere on Azeroth (and beyond, thanks to Horde in TBC) with water.
(...)

Exemplified by a troll coming to live to the Zangarmarsh, exclaiming "oh mon, 'dis be almost like home, except for one thin'", giving the adventurer a little cage and telling him to open it in the marshes.

And out comes a pack of baby Murlocs dancing.

Another thing: it isn't like Murlocs are unintelligent, really, the fact is that they have yet to develop a civilization of their own.

A baby Murloc was adopted and raised by a night elf lady, and grew up to be Sir Finnley Murggleton, one of the premiere members of the league of explorers.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The name Murloc probably comes from the Morlocks, an underground race of Mole People featured in the novel The Time Machine, by HG Wells.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Walrus Pete posted:

"Some fans are doing it (kinda) in SC2's editor" isn't even close to a reason for Blizzard to not do something. Of course it's a remastered WC3.

Renee completely rebuilt all of Warcraft III's units and abilities in SCII using the Official Warcraft III HD Art Dependency (which Renee also worked on, as far as I'm aware). While you're right that it won't stop Blizzard from remaking WCIII themselves (as evidenced by the WoW Vanilla thing that they announced a while back), there's no "kinda" about it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Kith posted:

Renee completely rebuilt all of Warcraft III's units and abilities in SCII using the Official Warcraft III HD Art Dependency (which Renee also worked on, as far as I'm aware). While you're right that it won't stop Blizzard from remaking WCIII themselves (as evidenced by the WoW Vanilla thing that they announced a while back), there's no "kinda" about it.

Fair enough (I haven't even thought about SC2 in years, let alone checked out the custom game scene) but my point was that Blizzard - particularly the people making top-level business decisions - couldn't possibly give a poo poo about what the SC2 community is making when it comes to making those kinds of decisions. I also don't think they'd be reaching out to WC3 esports pros if they were announcing a brand new game. Those guys, no disrespect intended, don't rate that kind of early information.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Kith posted:

I'm gonna have to check this out, just for curiosity's sake. Might make for an interesting update at some point!

Also because I was such a fan of Mass Recall, so I like seeing things redone in the SC2 engine.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
If they do Warcraft 4, don't make the mistake you made with SC2. Don't worry about the pro-scene just create a fun RTS.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
With what I DO know of wow, I'm guessing wc4 would very very different than wc3. From what I've seen there are a lot more factions, so the playable races would probably be multiplied if they wanted to show all the relevant ones off.

One solution that I would be interested in seeing is having subraces/factions availible in non-campaigns. To use an example that won't spoil the campaign, Have an alliance elf faction and an alliance human faction. Both of these would share some units, but also have perks, units, heroes, and abilities that are unique.

I've heard Blizzard is doing something along those lines with World of Warcraft playable races, so they seem to be open to the idea.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

lobster22221 posted:

With what I DO know of wow, I'm guessing wc4 would very very different than wc3. From what I've seen there are a lot more factions, so the playable races would probably be multiplied if they wanted to show all the relevant ones off.

One solution that I would be interested in seeing is having subraces/factions availible in non-campaigns. To use an example that won't spoil the campaign, Have an alliance elf faction and an alliance human faction. Both of these would share some units, but also have perks, units, heroes, and abilities that are unique.

I've heard Blizzard is doing something along those lines with World of Warcraft playable races, so they seem to be open to the idea.

That idea sounds like it would be easiest to implement by picking a "main" hero for your faction that determines your sub-faction every time you go into a multiplayer map. It would be sort of akin to picking your hero/commander in Dawn of War II's multiplayer, for example, just with more perks related to your units/buildings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One bit of random murloc trivia: for reasons WoW has never explained, murlocs are the only known race on Azeroth that are not, and can not, be part of the Scourge. Murlocs can turn undead, through plague of undeath or being raised directly, but they retain their minds and free will in undeath. Other Scourged undead can gain free will, usually through special circumstances, but only murlocs enjoy it natively. In WoW, it's a subject of ongoing research by the humanoid races.

For another common creeps, gnolls are the dumb, primitive, savage hyena-humanoid barbarians they are in Dungeons and Dragons and that's all there is to them in Warcraft. They have no origin, no culture, and no society, and they exist to be slaughtered guilt-free. But they aren't completely stupid, and are occasionally seen as pirates and mercenaries.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

IthilionTheBrave posted:

That idea sounds like it would be easiest to implement by picking a "main" hero for your faction that determines your sub-faction every time you go into a multiplayer map. It would be sort of akin to picking your hero/commander in Dawn of War II's multiplayer, for example, just with more perks related to your units/buildings.

starcraft 2's co-op mode is exactly like this, meaning its more or less guaranteed

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

darealkooky posted:

starcraft 2's co-op mode is exactly like this, meaning its more or less guaranteed

Interesting. I stopped playing sc2 pretty early on in Heart of the Swarm so I missed that.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Walrus Pete posted:

Fair enough (I haven't even thought about SC2 in years, let alone checked out the custom game scene) but my point was that Blizzard - particularly the people making top-level business decisions - couldn't possibly give a poo poo about what the SC2 community is making when it comes to making those kinds of decisions. I also don't think they'd be reaching out to WC3 esports pros if they were announcing a brand new game. Those guys, no disrespect intended, don't rate that kind of early information.

You would be surprised on both counts. Blizzard has pulled from and relied on the SCII and WCIII communities a lot over the past few years. Hell, I'm friends with one of the guys that was contracted to document the Galaxy Editor and write at least half of the tooltips - a job he got because he was so active in the SCII modding community. A combination of the RTScrafts' incredible moddability and not being the major money-makers like Overwatch and World of Warcraft has led to Blizzard treating them a little differently than you would normally expect.

Granted, I may have completely missed the mark and you turn out to be right. However, I also know that there are execs who are super pissed about DotA getting away from them and they're not keen on making the same mistake twice.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm gonna have to check this out, just for curiosity's sake. Might make for an interesting update at some point!

Also because I was such a fan of Mass Recall, so I like seeing things redone in the SC2 engine.
You might be interested in Armies of Azeroth, a mod that was looking to recreate the campaign. I haven't kept up with its development (I only heard about it about a year ago and its last update was in 2016, something that is unfortunately not very promising), but there's likely to be some content that you could look into for the LP's sake.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Kobolds are different than in most appearances. They aren't draconic, as in D&D, or doglike, as they appear in most Japanese media, they are rat-like little buggers obsessed with mining and CANDLES.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Siegkrow posted:

Kobolds are different than in most appearances. They aren't draconic, as in D&D, or doglike, as they appear in most Japanese media, they are rat-like little buggers obsessed with mining and CANDLES.

Speaking of different appearances, There is a hidden kobold model inside the world editor that can only be seen by making a unit based off of a peon, and changing the model to kobold tunneler. The editor has a few other unlisted assets, but this is the only one that I know of that is accessed in such an obscure way. I am dumb. But this really is a weird model.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 17, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

You don't have to make a unit based on a Peon unless something has changed from the days that I did WCIII Modding. The Kobold Tunneler is just kinda... there.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Kith posted:

You don't have to make a unit based on a Peon unless something has changed from the days that I did WCIII Modding. The Kobold Tunneler is just kinda... there.

Ah you are right, I was basing that information on a hive workshop thread I saw a while back, and I don't remember ever coming across that during my map editing days.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

If they do Warcraft 4, don't make the mistake you made with SC2. Don't worry about the pro-scene just create a fun RTS.
Also, limit Chris Metzen to just doing Thrall's voice (if he's appearing in some capacity) or any other NPC voice work that needs filled up in jiffy, and keep him the goddamn gently caress away from the writer's chair. I've heard about his..."interesting" script work on WoW, and it does not give me confidence in his abilities to write anything.

CORRUPTION!! :byodood:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

....but he wrote WC 1, 2 AND 3.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Metzen retired two years ago, and I can't see him do anything but possibly some new voice acting for Blizzard.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, pretty much every major character he's voiced has either died, been forced into a premature retirement, or otherwise shuffled off-stage as of WoW's most recent expansion.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lobster22221 posted:

Ah you are right, I was basing that information on a hive workshop thread I saw a while back, and I don't remember ever coming across that during my map editing days.

There's also the Kaeo Cube, which is a cube with Kaeo's face on it that happens to be on fire.

I don't know either.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Isn't it the Sammycube?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

....but he wrote WC 1, 2 AND 3.
True, but after this game, I'd argue that Metzen's flaws became more prevalent (or at least, people noticed them more frequently) to players.

THE BAR posted:

Metzen retired two years ago, and I can't see him do anything but possibly some new voice acting for Blizzard.
I had no idea he was retired, so yeah, that doesn't leave much for him to do in any future works. Uncredited beta tester, maybe?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Thrall's coming back next expansion so he'll probably be coming in to voice him. Along with a single voice line for Nefarian any time a new class is released.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

True, but after this game, I'd argue that Metzen's flaws became more prevalent (or at least, people noticed them more frequently) to players.

I had no idea he was retired, so yeah, that doesn't leave much for him to do in any future works. Uncredited beta tester, maybe?

Chris is still consulted about the big picture things about the setting, but more prevalently, he still voices Thrall, Varian ('s ghost), Nefarian, and a few other guys.

The guy basically retired because project Titan went down and reworking it into Overwatch took too much effort, stress, and so much time that he was missing seeing his children grow up. Also, being the frontman for Blizzcon also stressed him out a lot.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SirSamVimes posted:

Isn't it the Sammycube?

Yes it is! The Galaxy Editor is the one with the Kaeocube and it's been years since I touched the World Editor, so I got them mixed up.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

Chris is still consulted about the big picture things about the setting, but more prevalently, he still voices Thrall, Varian ('s ghost), Nefarian, and a few other guys.

The guy basically retired because project Titan went down and reworking it into Overwatch took too much effort, stress, and so much time that he was missing seeing his children grow up. Also, being the frontman for Blizzcon also stressed him out a lot.

(Allegedly) consuming massive quantities of cocaine probably didn't help, either.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's more a running joke about his insane levels of energy and enthusiasm than a genuine allegation isn't it?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
They - in particular Metzen - were excellent at writing some stories for the single player to explore, interactive novels in a way. Some excellent RTS mechanics and a focus on the stronger heroes to bring forth the story, like in any Fantasy, and you get a working formula.

The issue I think comes when trying to translate that into another format - in this case MMO - where everyone is supposed to be their own self-insert OC characters and still have it work well as a story. They need to keep trying to up the ante on themselves while still having to shoehorn "the Heroes of Azeroth" to bring theirs to the fight too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

That's more a running joke about his insane levels of energy and enthusiasm than a genuine allegation isn't it?

Yeah, it is.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

painedforever posted:

Did you guys watch that aborted LP of StarCraft II? That guy... he'd keep moving units to the back of the formation as they got damaged so that he wouldn't lose any. I mean, dear God Almighty, I couldn't conceive ever playing an RTS like that.

It's a bit freaky to watch, I'll be honest. Rather like watching a contortionist... you can't quite look away, but it's so squicky at the same time, that you don't want to watch.

You need to watch some pro Starcraft then. poo poo will blow your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZNdaEM9SfI

When all three marines simultaneously moved clockwise in one direction? Yes, he ordered each of them individually. Now imagine them doing this while managing their base. While controlling 30x more units, with Starcraft 1's awful AI pathing to boot.

Moving your hurt units to the back is pretty much a basic necessary skill at those levels. There are certain breakpoints, like x number of a type of unit can kill a certain unit in one volley, where if you lose even a single unit, then you'd need two volleys to kill, which in turn means you would take twice as much damage in return. Twice as much damage for losing a single unit! It makes keeping every single unit alive that much more important.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Yeah, that's gonna make me feel inadequate.

Or, y'know, it's hard work and practice and probably tons of mathematics and experimentation. Is it cheaper to eat the loss of a unit? How much time are you losing when a unit die versus moving it out of the way? Time to create a single unit is fixed by the game mechanics. So, you learn to click as fast as the game engine lets you. You learn all of the keyboard shortcuts, and decide beforehand when to create what, how long it'll take, so that you can be at the right place with the next set of orders.

Gaming like that isn't very different from work. I think I'm happier being mediocre at a game, so long as I'm having fun doing it.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Oh, not saying you should be playing that way. Being mediocre is fine and great as long as you're having fun! For those guys, though, it was absolutely and literally their job. And they worked miserable numbers of hours for poo poo pay unless they were the small handful of players who 'made it'. But hopefully it sheds some light on why they do what they do -- and in their world, why losing one unit might be a bigger deal than it would be to you or me.

Incidentally, I watched a lot more than I played. It kind of ruined RTSes for me. I have a different expectation/gauge of how sturdy a unit is -- and I get surprised and frustrated at how quickly my units die ('oh 2 of x unit should totally be able to survive y seconds against 3 z enemy units'). I know that there should also be 5 different things I should be juggling and multitasking right now, which makes me nervous wreck, which means I end up doing none of them. I just cannot play RTSes anymore. :(

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

gently caress no I can't play RTSs with micro, at most I do bluffs and divide and conquer, I much prefer moving my units as a few murder balls than anything.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's so weird seeing all these posts about not liking micro in a wcIII thread. The game focuses on micro for a small quantity of units with things like the large health pools and upkeep. It doesn't demand the extremely crazy stuff, but I absolutely move my dudes around in combat more and its probably the only rts where I use abilities regularly.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wc3 is absolutely The Micro One. The moba genre was literally spawned out of it being fun to micro a single unit, and the point of heroes is to be something you micro around while the army is autocasting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There's a huge difference between microing units in Warcraft 3 compared to Starcraft though. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I think the first RTS I ever played was Myth. And the ability to just pause or slow down the gameplay ruined me. I either pause as often as necessary while micro-ing (the TW series), or just turn cheats one and go through the campaign to see how it works (WCII-III). Since I never played an RTS against another person, and never intend to, that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Warcraft 2 actually had a keyboard shortcut for slowing down or speeding up the gamespeed, and I actually used that frequently in my most recent playthrough of it, mostly for bursts of casting stuff. Like, about to fight, set gamespeed to minimum, have Ogre-magi bloodlust everything, crank gamespeed back up. Closest you'll get to the Computer-style "everything casts their spells simultaneously" level micro.

• Locked thread