Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Killmonger was right though, they’d never really trust him and he’d refuse to be imprisoned. Going out on his own terms was the only way he’d truly be free.
What's so bad about bondage anyway! :anime:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

And 4 is inevitable but hasn't happened yet:
Haha, told you feminazis and SJWs! Not even Disney bribes could save it! (The movie has a black or female main character and didn't review well.)

Ghostbusters is probably the closest thing we’ve got to this.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 17, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Ghostbusters is probably the closest thing we’ve got to this.

Oh yeah that's true. I wasn't thinking outside MCU, DCEU and Star Wars.

Though I suppose that's just a variation of agreeing with the critics. But I would expect it to be even lower than the critic scores.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Cross posting from Irritating Movie things or moments or whatever.

Why didn't they just use THE British Museum?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Cross posting from Irritating Movie things or moments or whatever.

Why didn't they just use THE British Museum?

In Black Panther?

"Hi. Can we stage a burglary with five deaths in your historic building? No?"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 17, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Apropos of nothing I really like how Lupita Nyong'o says T'Challa's name slightly differently from how others say it, with a slightly stressed/elongated "aaalla." I have zero knows about African dialects but maybe that's how a name like that would be authentically spoken?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Teenage Fansub posted:

In Black Panther?

"Hi. Can we stage a burglary with five deaths in your historic building? No?"

They only need an exterior shot. Everyone knows that's where England stores their loot and the African room in the basement looks just like the one in the movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We don't really know whether they asked or not.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

They only need an exterior shot.

Same thing. The association would probably be the objectionable part over a filming inconvenience.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
At least half the poo poo they got in there was stolen during the heights of British imperialism it's not like a few murders can tarnish the image any further

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Same thing. The association would probably be the objectionable part over a filming inconvenience.

I wish they had used an actual museum like the V&A and just altered the name, there are some lovely museum buildings in London the one they had in the movie was ugly looking. Besides the most horrific thing about that scene was poisoning someone's tea, dreadful behavior.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, the fact that Erik specifically points out that loads of their stuff is stolen is probably another reason why the British Museum wouldn't want to be involved.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, the fact that Erik specifically points out that loads of their stuff is stolen is probably another reason why the British Museum wouldn't want to be involved.

They could have said the artifacts were on loan. I don't suppose it really matters, it didn't make me enjoy the movie less but it did take me out of the movie for a moment the same way the stadium scene in Kingsman: The Golden Circle did.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh did he? Lol I haven't seen it yet but that's awesome go killmonger

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Black Panther is so great guys, please go see it.

Killmonger is great. He's so so great. I feel like in spite of the way he went out, he understood T'Challa in those final moments. I liked his decision to die quite a bit. Despite all of his posturing, he revealed himself in that last fight. He was a scared kid (hence taking that form when he ate the heart fruit) lashing out at a world that he felt owed him better. It's so hard not to sympathize with a man like that and I'm glad the movie didn't bother trying to force it.

I'm sad Klaw died. I really like that performance. Talk about the opposite of Erik as a villain. An rear end in a top hat who totally deserves whatever comes to him. That scene where he lets the guy think he's letting him go before shooting him summed up that character perfectly. In general I feel like the biggest success of this movie is how well all of the supporting cast was. Shuri? Amazing. Nakia? Amazing. Killmonger? Come on. M'Baku needs to be in the sequel, I loved literally every second he was on screen.

Someone mentioned being a sucker for emotions in film, even when they aren't particularly powerful. I didn't shed any tears, but I think T'Challa's first conversation with his father will stick with me. T'Challa is a good man with a good heart. The world tests people like that a lot. The struggle he's facing, whether he should let the fact that he CAN do something mean he SHOULD do something, is top notch. It almost makes me sad that everything has to go on pause so Thanos can come and mess poo poo up.

I liked the scene where W'kabi takes a look at the Wakandans all beating each other to death, realizes that he let vengeance consume him (this theme is consistent in BP stuff in the MCU and I like it), and lays his weapon down.

Seriously, I could gush about this one for a while now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was trying to remember where I saw the guy who played M'Baku before and looking it up he was Dominic (the other mastermind gangster) on Person of Interest.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

Black Panther is so great guys, please go see it.

Killmonger is great. He's so so great. I feel like in spite of the way he went out, he understood T'Challa in those final moments. I liked his decision to die quite a bit. Despite all of his posturing, he revealed himself in that last fight. He was a scared kid (hence taking that form when he ate the heart fruit) lashing out at a world that he felt owed him better. It's so hard not to sympathize with a man like that and I'm glad the movie didn't bother trying to force it.

I'm sad Klaw died. I really like that performance. Talk about the opposite of Erik as a villain. An rear end in a top hat who totally deserves whatever comes to him. That scene where he lets the guy think he's letting him go before shooting him summed up that character perfectly. In general I feel like the biggest success of this movie is how well all of the supporting cast was. Shuri? Amazing. Nakia? Amazing. Killmonger? Come on. M'Baku needs to be in the sequel, I loved literally every second he was on screen.

Someone mentioned being a sucker for emotions in film, even when they aren't particularly powerful. I didn't shed any tears, but I think T'Challa's first conversation with his father will stick with me. T'Challa is a good man with a good heart. The world tests people like that a lot. The struggle he's facing, whether he should let the fact that he CAN do something mean he SHOULD do something, is top notch. It almost makes me sad that everything has to go on pause so Thanos can come and mess poo poo up.

I liked the scene where W'kabi takes a look at the Wakandans all beating each other to death, realizes that he let vengeance consume him (this theme is consistent in BP stuff in the MCU and I like it), and lays his weapon down.

Seriously, I could gush about this one for a while now.

I just got back from watching it and I agree with everything in this post. My 65 year old mother even remarked upon how good the soundtrack was.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

SonicRulez posted:

Someone mentioned being a sucker for emotions in film, even when they aren't particularly powerful. I didn't shed any tears, but I think T'Challa's first conversation with his father will stick with me.

My eyes definitely welled up at "a man who has not prepared his children for his own death has failed as a father." It's especially powerful when you think that you're only like 20 minutes into the movie and it's already able to get that kind of emotional reaction out of you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Black Panther was loving great and what I am about to bitch about does not detract from that. Now that said, STOP KILLING YOUR loving VILLAINS, MARVEL, this poo poo is why you keep on having to over-rely on Loki. Leaving the villains around so they can come back is literally what makes extended universes work and you know this! So knock it off!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Post: Bucky wakes up in a nice little village. He’s good now
And the Wakandan children call him White Wolf, which is a heck of an interesting thing if they end up doing that.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 18, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

Black Panther was loving great and what I am about to bitch about does not detract from that. Now that said, STOP KILLING YOUR loving VILLAINS, MARVEL, this poo poo is why you keep on having to over-rely on Loki. Leaving the villains around so they can come back is literally what makes extended universes work and you know this! So knock it off!

I think using Loki specifically weakens your argument actually. He's barely a villain anymore. I could maybe agree with keeping villains around but not if they're all going to turn into frenemies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe its just cuz hes everywhere in comics all the time but i dunno if id say loki being connected to thor so much is over reliance. Those two are together in stories so often its ridiculous

Im curious as to which villains that have died you think shouldve been kept alive to be recurring though. I cant say i can think of any that i hope make a comeback

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I mean, i don’t always mind it myself since killing your villain gets around that whole “Batman could save countless lives by finally just offing the joker” type quandary, but yeah, they’ve taken out some villains they could have gotten a lot of mileage from pretty early.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

site posted:

Maybe its just cuz hes everywhere in comics all the time but i dunno if id say loki being connected to thor so much is over reliance. Those two are together in stories so often its ridiculous

Im curious as to which villains that have died you think shouldve been kept alive to be recurring though. I cant say i can think of any that i hope make a comeback

Red Skull can come back at any time. maybe he's already back? Using him would be interesting considering the current political climate.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crossposting from Negrotown:

Koalas March posted:

For all my fellow film geeks, here is Ryan Coogler breaking down a scene from BP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHc2PxY8lY

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So Black Panther aside, if the MCU were to do a Masters of Evil after Thanos who else is still alive? Just Zemo and Hammer?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So Black Panther aside, if the MCU were to do a Masters of Evil after Thanos who else is still alive? Just Zemo and Hammer?

Trevor Slattery is still alive. And if that bonus movie is to be believed, there is an actual Mandarin out there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Koalas March posted:

This was cool as hell thanks

Sgt. Politeness posted:

abomination and the leader are still alive and you could cheese it to say that the red skull didnt die he just used the space gem to teleport somehwere but iirc agent smith guy said he didnt want to play skull again

dormamu is always around ( not for masters of evil obv but could be a recurring bad guy)
the celestials have already been introduced, they could be bad guys
the elders could set up a contest of champions if feige really ran out of ideas i guess

site fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 18, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Koalas March posted:

I love the talk about floating the camera up, it's the kind of thing that's easy to see without really thinking about, but if they botch it you can't help but notice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

Strongly disagree with this in this case. The way this movie went down made it almost essential to the story I thought. Would've been a lesser film otherwise.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Villains we've seen in movies who are still alive;
-Abomination
-Justin Hammer
-Loki
-Batroc the Leaper
-Helmut Zemo
-Mordo
-Vulture
-Tinkerer
-Shocker

Villains who could be introduced based on previous things in movies;
-Red Hulk
-Leader
-Mandarin (shut up)
-Scorpion

Villains who are probably dead but could come back anyway;
-Red Skull
-Arnim Zola
-Ultron

Did I miss any? Also I haven't seen Black Panther yet.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 18, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Really the only time the MCU killed someone off that made me go "No please stop wtf are you doing" is Cottonmouth on Netflix.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess my question would be since there are so many villains that they could still go through why even bother with a previous villain comes back story

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man I am so glad M'Baku was shown as more of a conservative, traditionalist element, not an antagonist. "If you speak another word I will feed you to me children! Hah, we're vegetarians" was great.

It was great to see Killmonger be sympathetic, he was certianly the "enemy you created" style villain, and he was not wrong, just his methods were incorrect. Wakanda did have the resources to help people lift up people, but not through violence. The end with his and T'Challa at the sunset was great. Second movie to end with him and the villain talking, with T'Challa not having any more violence in him.

I agree about killing Klaw was a waste. He would be a great mid level villain that could keep popping up.

Lastly, I can't help but since they revealed that Ross was a pilot, could we see a younger Ross in Captain Marvel?

Wakanda looked amazing, Afro Futurist Techopolis is a perfect description of it.

And my favorite thing "another white boy for me to fix" because of course Shuri can fix Bucky where everyone else fails.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

i guess my question would be since there are so many villains that they could still go through why even bother with a previous villain comes back story

Because at least some of the villains are neat and it'd be neat to see them do more stuff or interact with other characters in neat ways and do neat things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

Because at least some of the villains are neat and it'd be neat to see them do more stuff or interact with other characters in neat ways and do neat things.

Spider-Man should never, ever have his villains die. He should always save them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Spider-Man should never, ever have his villains die. He should always save them.

I mean, the villains should rarely die because the heroes shouldn't be murderers and I'm glad we're slowly getting away from that trend in superhero movies. It's still funny to me how Hulk has shown more restraint than Tony in dealing with threats.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

Whiplash, Red Skull, Ronan, Crossbones, Arnim Zola, Ultron, Yellowjacket, Hela, Skurge, Klaw, and Killmonger. I'm not saying they were all great, but everyone there deserved at least another shot, and for fucksakes if you don't build up a B list of recurring punching bags, how are you ever gonna do the Thunderbolts?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't really see much point to keeping Klaue alive. All he really is is a somewhat fun powerset and... Andy Serkis.

He doesn't really bring much beyond wanting to steal Vibranium. He's exactly the kind of bad guy earlier Marvel villains get singled out for for being shallow.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

Man I am so glad M'Baku was shown as more of a conservative, traditionalist element, not an antagonist. "If you speak another word I will feed you to me children! Hah, we're vegetarians" was great.

I loved that too especially since they would be if they followed the diet of gorillas, but did he just mean his family and not his tribe because he almost immediately mentions having fisherman

Also: Is it just me or is M'Baku too pretty? Not that I'm complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Whiplash, Red Skull, Ronan, Crossbones, Arnim Zola, Ultron, Yellowjacket, Hela, Skurge, Klaw, and Killmonger. I'm not saying they were all great, but everyone there deserved at least another shot, and for fucksakes if you don't build up a B list of recurring punching bags, how are you ever gonna do the Thunderbolts?

Of the ones listed here, Whiplash, Red Skull, Ronan, and Yellowjacket ranged from bland to actively dull and I frankly couldn't care less about seeing them again, Zola and Crossbones did wind up with multiple appearances, and the only reason Skurge existed in the movies was so that they could do his last stand. Age of Ultron was a bad movie but honestly it wouldn't be hard for them to say "oh yeah Ultron had a super secret backup copy of himself hidden away" if they really wanted to, that's the benefit of a villain who can digitally duplicate his consciousness.

• Locked thread