Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Before the mid-18th century, the most widely-held belief among slaveholders in America was that their slaves didn't even have souls - black people were seen as either permanently hell-bound people with the Mark of Ham or whatever, or as half-formed quasi-humans that God doesn't even care about. It took a lot of convincing from Christian slave-sympathizers to start teaching them anything about Jesus - and even then, it was a strange beta form of Christianity that was mostly focused on all of flowery, symbolic language about being a slave to Christ and whatnot.

Introducing slaves to this distorted Gospel was, in a hosed up way, one of the earliest sources of humanization they got. "I'm gonna teach them about Christ, because, yes, they have a soul, but I'll try to keep them docile in the process" is still a step up from "I'm pretty sure they're not even fully human, so keep working them to death."

That's not entirely accurate. African slavery started because the European attitude was "gently caress it why not, it seems to work for the Arabs." The various justifications, like the "mark of Ham" were thrown in by the slaveholders later to try and ease everyone's consciences about one of the worst forms of slavery in human history. Medieval Europeans had contact with Africans and they didn't consider them to be weird subhumans. All that scientific racism and twisted theology was invented later to keep the system going.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

I think I have a new least favorite cartoonist.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Grimdude posted:

I've never wanted to personally ruin the lives of so many cartoonists in one sitting. Like, how many times has Ramirez responded to a school shooting with just a lovely drawing of the gunman? I'm thinking of at least five offhand.

It's worse when he doesn't draw the gunman.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wow really taking a strong stand here.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

What the flying gently caress....

SCHOOLS are to blame for the shootings? I guess if they didn't pack all those tempting targets all together nobody would ever shoot anything up. Same with outdoor country music concerts, prolly. Their own fault for existing to present targets.

And mental health care - Oh yeah, I remember all the times my therapist said grabbing a gun and heading for a crowded place to vent my feelings would help me feel better.

Don't forget the media, they keep saying how it's the cool kids who do it.

And sure, stick parents in there, too. They can't refute anything, seeing how they died a while ago.

NRA? Well, okay, I'll give you that one. And the fathead in chief.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

So is this blame equally distributed, or is this "every entity that had at least some influence"?

NRA and Trump, sure. NRA paid to train him. Trump made it easier to buy the guns. Not to mention fanning up Nazism in 20 loving 18.

Media... how? On reporting on other shootings? Or is this the rap musics and shooty games? Maybe if you were more specific on who and what here.

:laffo: Mental Healthcare? That thing that gets dug up every few months to deflect away from gun violence and then forgotten when it comes time to fund it?

Schools? Last I heard schools are drilling kids on how to maximize survivors in a massacre, trying to keep weapons off campus as much as they can.

Parents? What? So it's cause the kids parents didn't teach him not to murder or something?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Parents? What? So it's cause the kids parents didn't teach him not to murder or something?

Cruz's adoptive parents both died, setting a bad example

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Cruz's adoptive parents both died, setting a bad example

Very inconsiderate of them to die like that. Didn't they know they'd have the blood of children on their hands doing that?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Media... how? On reporting on other shootings?

It's exactly this, among certain circles.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's not entirely accurate. African slavery started because the European attitude was "gently caress it why not, it seems to work for the Arabs."

Europeans turned to African slaves after they'd burned through the indigenous inhabitants of the sugar colonies in the Caribbean and South/Central America, and after discovering that poor white laborers wouldn't sign indentures for those places given the working and living conditions.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Very inconsiderate of them to die like that. Didn't they know they'd have the blood of children on their hands doing that?

Notice how law enforcement isn't anywhere there, after they've had several incidents with the kid showing all the classic warning signs of violent murder man tendencies in killing animals, maybe they should have made him something of a special case to watch. Like local police that maybe should have not worried so much about the local black population for a minute and focused on a known person of interest buying an assult weapon, stalking a school and making comments about wanting to attack a 40% Jewish populated school. Of course, if we brought up law, they'd deflect it the FBI, who maybe could have done something more if Trump wasn't actively sabotaging them by not having an active head of the organization and twisting the law to arm nazis like Cruz.

But Trump, NRA and - uh "Mental Health" are the farthest from the viewer. The ones upfront and center to be seen the most by your prospective republican is Parents, Schools and of course, the Media. Because if there is a healthy avenue of attack, its the parents of kids that lost their loving child to a shooting not one goddamn week ago and dead people that couldn't do anything at this point.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Nenonen posted:

Why would an Aussie even care about 'merican arguments when American constitution is the only one that guarantees the sanctity of boomsticks and therefore is the only country where this kind of 'debate' is necessary?

Australian gun nuts have a storied tradition of just taking poo poo from the NRA, crossing out 'America' and writing 'Australia' above it in crayon, and otherwise using it unedited to promote the gun cause.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's not entirely accurate. African slavery started because the European attitude was "gently caress it why not, it seems to work for the Arabs." The various justifications, like the "mark of Ham" were thrown in by the slaveholders later to try and ease everyone's consciences about one of the worst forms of slavery in human history. Medieval Europeans had contact with Africans and they didn't consider them to be weird subhumans. All that scientific racism and twisted theology was invented later to keep the system going.

This; there was a neat bit on NPR re the "Redskins" name controversy, and they noted that an explicitly *racial* Euro vs. Native narrative came later in colonialism, whereas in the earlier stages of interaction, colonial writers wrote of a "Christian vs. Pagan" dichotomy rather than "white vs. red/brown". In early colonialism, skin color was a pretty minor factor compared to religion and general other-ness.

While xenophobia is eternal, a lot of the specifics of modern racial conceptions are relatively recent.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

OK, can someone clarify something for me? Was there any actual actionable information, or is this just more "why didn't they arrest him for thoughtcrime before he did this" horseshit? I mean, I know what the answer probably is but maybe I'm wrong.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

OK, can someone clarify something for me? Was there any actual actionable information, or is this just more "why didn't they arrest him for thoughtcrime before he did this" horseshit? I mean, I know what the answer probably is but maybe I'm wrong.

From what I've heard, nothing more actionable than your average nazi. If they'd done anything preemptively, Garrison and his ilk would be ranting about this UNBELIEVABLE TYRANNY BY THE TREASONOUS FBI.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jel Shaker posted:

Shouldn’t the bird be a fat stupid turkey?

Hey now, don't go badmouthing the runner-up National Symbol of America.

"Fat Stacks" Benjamin Franklin would be ashamed of you.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

In September, a YouTube user named "Nikolas Cruz" left a comment on a blogger's channel saying "Im going to be a professional school shooter", and on Jan. 5th a person close to the shooter called the FBI telling them that Cruz was displaying signs of being a potential school shooter. There's more information here.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So are the usual suspects going to back off on their "he was an antifa" claims, now that it seems he said he wanted to shoot them?

Somehow, I doubt it. And not a single mention of his white supremacy ties from them, either....

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MrUnderbridge posted:

So are the usual suspects going to back off on their "he was an antifa" claims, now that it seems he said he wanted to shoot them?

Somehow, I doubt it. And not a single mention of his white supremacy ties from them, either....

There's a reason Garrison and others are pressing the "It's all about the FBI" diversion so hard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Official conservative opinion, handed down from whatever hivemind consensus writes the daily memos the internet turds and talking heads and political cartoonists subscribe to:

35,000 people work for the FBI, and they can only do one investigation at a time. And that investigation should really be HER EMAILS

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Apologies if this has already been posted:
https://twitter.com/ShadowFart69/status/964949310163972096

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Conservatives: "Liberalism is a mental illness."
Also conservatives: "It's not a gun problem, it's a mental illness problem."
Also conservatives: "Our entire ideology is parroting what Russian trolls tell us to say."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

no, he said 'I'm gonna be a school shooter' on youtube and he was a weird aggressive moron who hated everyone and loved showing off his gun, but the only actionable thing was he allegedly roughed his girlfriend up (which fits the type of guys who go on to poo poo like this) but unless she reported it officially there's nothing to be done on hearsay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sexpig by night posted:

no, he said 'I'm gonna be a school shooter' on youtube and he was a weird aggressive moron who hated everyone and loved showing off his gun, but the only actionable thing was he allegedly roughed his girlfriend up (which fits the type of guys who go on to poo poo like this) but unless she reported it officially there's nothing to be done on hearsay.

I think it's also a legitimate point that lots of people say and post things like that, but very few of them actually end up acting on it. Suggesting that the FBI should do something about every disaffected alt-right young man with anger issues and lots of guns is a very dangerous precedent.

There's nothing the government realistically could have done, the best bet anyone had would be for his friends and family to have intervened.

Sargon of TN
Nov 7, 2011

Katt posted:

From 2003

The Iraq war is an umbrella that the Dems refuse to use.

Oh my god, I forgot about Cox and Forkum. I haven't looked at any of their poo poo since the Iraq War started. I bet it hasn't aged well at all.

*Edit* Like a fine wine:

Sargon of TN fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 18, 2018

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Nenonen posted:

Why would an Aussie even care about 'merican arguments when American constitution is the only one that guarantees the sanctity of boomsticks and therefore is the only country where this kind of 'debate' is necessary?

Leyonhjelm is a libertarian wants to roll back Australia's gun laws. In fact, late last year he was pushing for a lever-action shotgun to be placed in a less restrictive category due to a loophole (he failed, thankfully).

Also, politicians in Australia (and other countries, too) really like importing American politics.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

A pretty obvious way of saying "I don't want to actually discuss any loving solutions."

Seeing a lot of this poo poo too. "Democrats say this and they're poopy, Republicans say that and they're poopy too. Stop arguing and actually do something guys!" Which I've taken to responding with something along the lines of:

Democrats: let's look at gun legislature
Republicans: never

See, neither side is offering anything!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cythereal posted:

I think it's also a legitimate point that lots of people say and post things like that, but very few of them actually end up acting on it. Suggesting that the FBI should do something about every disaffected alt-right young man with anger issues and lots of guns is a very dangerous precedent.

There's nothing the government realistically could have done, the best bet anyone had would be for his friends and family to have intervened.

And also, why would the FBI get involved if he has made no attempts at crossing state lines?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Not political.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/NatsSquid/status/963930466339512320

not a politoon as such but posting for the :eng99:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Grimdude posted:

A pretty obvious way of saying "I don't want to actually discuss any loving solutions."

Seeing a lot of this poo poo too. "Democrats say this and they're poopy, Republicans say that and they're poopy too. Stop arguing and actually do something guys!" Which I've taken to responding with something along the lines of:

Democrats: let's look at gun legislature
Republicans: never

See, neither side is offering anything!

I think it's great that the right are just basically throwing their hands up and saying there's nothing meaningful that can be done. Really helps them connect with the average person when there's people on the verge of rioting in the streets over guns.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Have you ever seen The Point go so far over someone's head that it escaped orbit? You have now.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Haha, nice edit. But no, what does the last panel really say?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MageMage posted:

Haha, nice edit. But no, what does the last panel really say?
I love the last panel and the transition between the Nobel peace prize and fingerblasting.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Modern society and media puts too much pressure on young people, constantly insinuating you have to be a world changing, globe trotting careerist and forcing them into the rat race, shaming them out of being satisfied with living a simpler, but ultimately happier life. AGC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This; there was a neat bit on NPR re the "Redskins" name controversy, and they noted that an explicitly *racial* Euro vs. Native narrative came later in colonialism, whereas in the earlier stages of interaction, colonial writers wrote of a "Christian vs. Pagan" dichotomy rather than "white vs. red/brown". In early colonialism, skin color was a pretty minor factor compared to religion and general other-ness.

While xenophobia is eternal, a lot of the specifics of modern racial conceptions are relatively recent.

Ironically, the Church objected to the enslavement of relatively peaceful pagans who were obviously people with souls and wanted the enslavement to end, so there was issued an spanish edict saying no Indian was to be enslaved but that cannibalism was a case where enslavement was justified given the heinous acts, and suddenly all the tribes one encountered was ravenous cannibals.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 18, 2018