Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I Before E posted:

Whatever your thoughts on Armond, more critics should have the audacity to have The Chronicles Of Riddick be one of their first comparisons in a review in 2018.

He sounds like a typical cranky right-winger but Chronicles is one of the best movies of all time so I'll give him that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I Before E posted:

Whatever your thoughts on Armond, more critics should have the audacity to have The Chronicles Of Riddick be one of their first comparisons in a review in 2018.

Both characters are of mighty lineage and fight with dual-wielded short blades that represent Honor Or Whatever. Black Panther --> Riddick is a natural comparison.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chronicles of Riddick is also one of Christian Grey's favorite childhood movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are we talking poo poo about Chronicles of Riddick because I swear to Christ

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

CelticPredator posted:

No one was owning me, and I just like insulting the man or putting down his accomplishments. I really hate him. He lacks sincerity in his work and tries to rile people up. People who do that are complete trash of the highest order and I can’t believe people here like his work.

No wait, i can believe that and it actually bothers me.

I don't know why, but I suddenly got an image of you as Jason Clarke in Zero Dark Thirty.

:geno: "C'mon, Armond. Tell me what I want to hear, bro!"

:whatup: "No... Man of Steel is the first superhero movie to be directed by a real filmmaker."

:geno: "When you lie to me, I must insult you, you complete trashbag of the highest order. Bro."

*intense approved messageboarding techniques*

:geno: "It's cool that you're wrong and I really disrespect it, I do. But in the end, everybody breaks, bro. It's cinematology."

:whatup: "Man of Steel allows sci-fi blockbuster audiences to finally emerge from post-9/11 darkness."

:geno: "Partial truth will be treated as a lie! I will hate you on the internet, you douche!"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The MSJ posted:

Chronicles of Riddick is also one of Christian Grey's favorite childhood movies.

Don't tell me Christian Grey would slam in his DVD every morning and do all the movies

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ynohtna posted:

:whatup: "No... Man of Steel is the first superhero movie to be directed by a real filmmaker."

Wow, someone hates Ang Lee I guess.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Don't tell me Christian Grey would slam in his DVD every morning and do all the movies

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS FIFTTY SHADES OF GREY AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTERS, CHRISTIAN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN ON ANASTASIA’S INNER GODDESS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY hosed THE WORLD’S MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OFFICE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN OFFICE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

Fake edit: Here's a screenshot from Fifty Shades Darker showing the poster. It also has Dakota Johnson, so two beauties in one picture.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, someone hates Ang Lee I guess.
Actually, I think he does. He opens his Life of Pi review by saying "No one can make a dull film like Ang Lee can".

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He really liked Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk tho so I think maybe Ang Lee falls somewhere in the O.K. category for him?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
He really liked Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk because everyone else hated it. That's it. That's his job.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jimbot posted:

What's the dude's deal? It seems like every review he writes is one contrary to popular opinion. Is he a contrarian? Troll? An under-appreciated genius that won't be recognized in his lifetime? All of the above?

He writes far too well to just be a contrarian. If he can seriously walk into a movie, having decided to hate or like it depending on the breeze, then work backwards and craft a long, complex, self supporting review, he might be a wizard. It's like a Scalia-level ability to work backwards, but much less destructive

porfiria posted:

Armond White is against everything, which means he's right quite a bit, but then again if I just started shooting people in the street I'd be improving the world in a lot of cases and I don't think anyone thinks that's a good idea except possibly the NRA.

Depends, did you buy the gun new from a reliable wholesaler? Ideally a current model?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Raxivace posted:

Actually, I think he does. He opens his Life of Pi review by saying "No one can make a dull film like Ang Lee can".

Couldn't find his Hulk review, did find this though:
"Despite peanut-gallery consensus, Ang Lee’s 2002 The Hulk was a respectable failure—in fact, it was Lee’s least enervating cinematic adaptation. Typically overlong, its sincere attempt to produce Pop imagery respected Stan Lee’s original story. Scientist Bruce Banner’s exposure to gamma rays that turn him into a creature of uncontrollable anger made a better comic-book movie—with actors Nick Nolte, Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly making it plausible—than the Marvel Comics audience could appreciate. Now there’s a new film version titled The Incredible Hulk, starring actor-auteur Edward Norton; it’s the crappy summer blockbuster Marvelites probably deserve."

He's still a pretty good film cricket, I really dug reviews of The Last Jedi and The Shape of Water.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Interesting. I remember being one of the few kids who really liked Lee's Hulk when it first came out. I'd love to watch it again sometime, and then look at what Armond's more precise issues with it are.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

He writes far too well to just be a contrarian. If he can seriously walk into a movie, having decided to hate or like it depending on the breeze, then work backwards and craft a long, complex, self supporting review, he might be a wizard. It's like a Scalia-level ability to work backwards, but much less destructive

It’s possible he just has poor taste.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Armond White is a troll, but he isn't insincere. Trolling is just telling your genuine beliefs to people who don't want to hear them.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t take White the least bit seriously but his reviews are entertaining. He loving tees off on poo poo he doesn’t like and he’s got this wholly unwarranted smugness. It’s kinda funny

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yeah, he's certainly outspoken and confrontational in the way he expresses his opinions, but those opinions are genuinely held.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Ferrinus posted:

Armond White is a troll, but he isn't insincere. Trolling is just telling your genuine beliefs to people who don't want to hear them.

Who is he unwillingly imposing his writing upon?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Me. :v:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s ridiculous but unsurprising that people try to decipher White’s traumatic writing with wild theorizing, when the reviews themselves express clear and basic stuff like ‘Disney-Marvel marketing turns the black panthers into The Lion King’.

Like, hummm, durr, what does he really mean by that?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is anyone claiming his reviews are hard to understand? hummm durr

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sponges posted:

Not understanding can take the form of thinking that the stated beliefs are “trolling” or “smug”

Writing earnestly and truthfully about art (especially from a critic) is so rare that y’all think he’s bad for just...writing what he thinks

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Not understanding can take the form of thinking that the stated beliefs are “trolling” or “smug”

Writing earnestly and truthfully about art (especially from a critic) is so rare that y’all think he’s bad for just...writing what he thinks

I kinda get the impression you’re impressed by any critic that isn’t Gene Shalit.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sponges posted:

I kinda get the impression you’re impressed by any critic that isn’t Gene Shalit.

drat OP you...you got me

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Buddy I'm impressed as hell by Gene Shalit, that hair care regimen must be intensive

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I haven't seen it, and I never will, but I will go to my grave absolutely certain that Jack and Jill is not "hilarious."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sponges posted:

No. People are coming up with theories to explain away the existence of the reviews instead of just reading them. They aren’t aware that they are having difficulty. They are, in fact, claiming that the reviews are easy to understand.

But when White says that Black Panther is a Lion King (with a circle of hype / and it moves us all / ‘til we find our place / in the circle / the circle of hype...) that’s the sort of slam that demands an immediate, snappy response of the kind Joss Whedon can’t write for you. Because if you’re not prepared for that sort of basic observation, why are you even trying to discuss this topic?

There are a lot of simple responses that people could have made, e.g.:

-“No, Black Panther is actually politically radical, because...”

-“Black Panther has nothing in common with The Lion King, because...”

-“The black panther party were actually evil, because...”

You aren’t seeing these basic responses because nobody actually - in their actions, in their writing - has any disagreement with White whatsoever. The traumatic point is that he’s right - and not ashamed of being right?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What the gently caress do you want? Someone brought up White and people are rightfully accusing him of:

1). Trolling

2). Having jaw droppingly bad taste in movies.

Yes, we’re making generalalities but this isn’t the Armond White thread. The guy thought Jack and Jill was hilarious. His opinion is worthless

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sponges posted:

What the gently caress do you want? Someone brought up White and people are rightfully accusing him of:

1). Trolling

2). Having jaw droppingly bad taste in movies.

Yes, we’re making generalalities but this isn’t the Armond White thread. The guy thought Jack and Jill was hilarious. His opinion is worthless

How dare people read and respond to actual criticism in the super hero thread!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
White has a really good point about the Black Panther film and that is that its been marketed as a actual tool of empowerment by Disney.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hollismason posted:

White has a really good point about the Black Panther film and that is that its been marketed as a actual tool of empowerment by Disney.

People leveled the same accusation against the Ghostbusters reboot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sponges posted:

What the gently caress do you want?

I already wrote that out in the post you’re ostensibly replying to - which points to a broader issue, doesn’t it?

Again, the point is that you are unprepared to actually discuss the topic. So instead of simply saying that White is wrong, you can only speculate about the level of sincerity behind his correct stance: that he ‘must be’, paradoxically, both insincere and hypersincere.

sponges posted:

People leveled the same accusation against the Ghostbusters reboot.

People were correct. Of course it was marketed as empowering.

The theme song / promotional single is literally Missy Elliot singing about how the new ghostbusters empower her.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 18, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I already wrote that out in the post you’re ostensibly replying to - which points to a broader issue, doesn’t it?

Again, the point is that you are unprepared to actually discuss the topic. So instead of simply saying that White is wrong, you can only speculate about the level of sincerity behind his correct stance: that he ‘must be’, paradoxically, both insincere and hypersincere.

White is wrong. There, I said it. We can all move on.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sponges posted:

White is wrong. There, I said it. We can all move on.

Why is he wrong?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
white is a very representative critic for cd

1. contrarian to a fault
2. likes trash
3. works for racist agenda

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Why is he wrong?

Farg posted:

1. contrarian to a fault
2. likes trash

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Farg posted:

white is a very representative critic for cd

1. contrarian to a fault
2. likes trash

:jerkbag:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The dastardly contrarian who thinks... wait... Edgar Wright movies are good! Oh, wait, uh... huh, oh! That The Help was bullshit! Nah, wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

We’ve already established that insincerity and/or hypersincerity don’t render a statement incorrect, so that just leaves the nebulous claim that White ‘works for an agenda’. What does that mean?

Again, this should have been very easy for you.