Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Think they're exaggerating, but still. PTCGO.com has Ultra Prism for $1 a pack because they literally came out a week ago. Crimson Invasion dropped to about $0.60 by the time they were tourney legal, I have no reason to believe that these won't do the same. The only ones that'll hold their price for a long time is Shining Legends, because you can't buy boxes of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Where are you buying code cards for 25 cents? Most relevant packs (read: the ones people are making trades with, most often) are $1+. It's pretty much a pack-per-dollar ratio from what I've been seeing.

My bad, I was going by personal experience, which is more than a year ago. Looking at current eBay prices, it's more like 50-70 cents per now. Currently Ultra Prism just released, so it's inflated like all new sets are for the first week.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm going to be tweaking my Garchomp standard deck, it's not as consistent as I'd like yet. Le Le will help, but the unbroken chain of dragons needs a little work.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

DarciisFyer posted:

My bad, I was going by personal experience, which is more than a year ago. Looking at current eBay prices, it's more like 50-70 cents per now. Currently Ultra Prism just released, so it's inflated like all new sets are for the first week.

The packs that seem to get used as 'currency' are Guardians Rising and Ultra Prism. Crimson Invasion's price dropped, so people will typically ask for more of those for the same trade.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm going to be tweaking my Garchomp standard deck, it's not as consistent as I'd like yet. Le Le will help, but the unbroken chain of dragons needs a little work.

What do you think it needs? I can tell it needs something as well. Brigette?

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

Matsuri posted:

The packs that seem to get used as 'currency' are Guardians Rising and Ultra Prism. Crimson Invasion's price dropped, so people will typically ask for more of those for the same trade.

Yeah Guardians Risings was what I was referring to, you can get get a 50-pack of codes for $25 on eBay. So $40 for a tier 1 Standard deck, with most of that money going towards Tapu Lele GX. Not as good of an impulse-buy as $20, I admit.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

DarciisFyer posted:

Yeah Guardians Risings was what I was referring to, you can get get a 50-pack of codes for $25 on eBay. So $40 for a tier 1 Standard deck, with most of that money going towards Tapu Lele GX. Not as good of an impulse-buy as $20, I admit.

Well poo poo. I might pull the trigger on that. Leles are pretty much all I have left to collect.

I never considered eBay. That's a lot more affordable; I didn't want to drop $25 for just one drat card and need to spend that much for another, you know? But Leles are going for ~25 Guardians Rising packs right now, which is a lot more reasonable.

EDIT: Actually, why the hell not. Ordered. Now I can stop fussing about the what-ifs and just get them. After all, they're pretty much the only expensive thing in any deck in Standard (and probably will be until GR rotates out).

How often does stuff rotate out anyway?

Also @PMush: I just heard there's supposedly a fighting-type Garchomp, identical to the dragon one, coming eventually: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Garchomp_(Ultra_Force_28)

Having access to Brooklet Hill could be that bit of consistency we need. Garchomp with more consistency and compatibility with Strong Energy and Regirock and stuff seems pretty great.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 7, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, once that one hits, the deck is gonna explode, especially in Expanded. But there's a Regional here next month and I wanna bring something that's gonna do well.

Also been considering either Mewtwo GX, or Exeggutor GX/Leafeon GX/Venusaur, both of which will be fun and less expected/prepared against than Garchomp.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

gardevoir is a cool and fun deck now that it's complete :3:

I was playing against a Garchomp deck with two fully loaded Garchomp on the bench. I used Sylveon's Plea GX to send them both back to the opponent's hand. I then N'd her hand away next turn. She scooped. :unsmith:

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, once that one hits, the deck is gonna explode, especially in Expanded. But there's a Regional here next month and I wanna bring something that's gonna do well.

Also been considering either Mewtwo GX, or Exeggutor GX/Leafeon GX/Venusaur, both of which will be fun and less expected/prepared against than Garchomp.

I never see Exeggutor GX coming and it always throws me for a loop. How well has Leafeon GX been doing? I see that it has a pretty steep price.

I also "finished" putting together the Dusk Mane Necrozma/Dialga GX/Magnezone deck. The builds I've seen have 3 DM Necrozma, but I only have 2-- so I popped in Cyrus Prism in the open spot. Could be funny.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 7, 2018

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Matsuri posted:

gardevoir is a cool and fun deck now that it's complete :3:

I was playing against a Garchomp deck with two fully loaded Garchomp on the bench. I used Sylveon's Plea GX to send them both back to the opponent's hand. I then N'd her hand away next turn. She scooped. :unsmith:

Deck list? I’m :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I nearly got beaten last night by a Weezing/Victini mill deck, and it's making me miss my old Durant deck. Might throw in Garbotoxin and make a casual trolldeck out of it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

numerrik posted:

Deck list? I’m :allears:

4 Ralts
2 Kirlia
3 Gardevoir-GX
1 Gallade (the one that lets you sort the top 5 of your deck)
2 Eevee (the instant evolving one)
2 Sylveon-GX
2 Tapu Lele-GX
1 Remoraid
1 Octillery

4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
2 Field Blower
1 Parallel City
1 Super Today ROD
1 Acerola
2 Brigette
2 Cynthia
3 Guzma
3 Professor Sycamore
1 Mallow
2 Choice Band
2 Float Stone
2 N

8 Fairy Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

It's p cool

PMush Perfect posted:

I nearly got beaten last night by a Weezing/Victini mill deck, and it's making me miss my old Durant deck. Might throw in Garbotoxin and make a casual trolldeck out of it.

Troll decks are fun. I've got plenty of entertainment out of my Guzzlord deck.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 8, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Just went a Xurkitree/Magnezone deck. Deck was loaded with Red Cards and Mars to keep me without resources, and I just really couldn't do anything against it with the hand I had.

RIP win streak, record 14. Xurkitree is a dick.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Matsuri posted:

1 Super Today

Wanna retry this one?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

numerrik posted:

Wanna retry this one?

Oh poo poo, sorry. I don't know why autocorrect saw "Rod" and thought "oh hey, maybe "Today" is the right word?".

It's a Super Rod.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Threw together a really basic list for the Weezing/Victini deck. Some critiques about proper stalling would be nice.

Pokémon - 17
* 3 Victini GRI
* 4 Koffing FCO
* 4 Weezing FCO
* 3 Trubbish BKP
* 1 Garbodor GRI
* 2 Garbodor BKP

Trainer Cards - 33
* 2 Parallel City
* 2 Field Blower
* 2 Acerola
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 2 Cynthia
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 4 Team Rocket's Handiwork
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 3 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
* 2 Evosoda
* 2 Guzma
* 2 Enhanced Hammer
* 2 Escape Rope

Energy - 10
* 4 Double Colorless Energy
* 6 Psychic Energy

Also considering a 1-of Nihilego GX, but I don't know if a $3 card is breaking the spirit of the budget bullshit or not. Outside of that, this is a deck that costs maybe $20 to put together, and that's counting the staples and the inflated Cynthia price.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 8, 2018

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
No Lusamine / Pal Pad to reuse Handiwork?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Threw together a really basic list for the Weezing/Victini deck. Some critiques about proper stalling would be nice.

Pokémon - 17
* 3 Victini GRI
* 4 Koffing FCO
* 4 Weezing FCO
* 3 Trubbish BKP
* 1 Garbodor GRI
* 2 Garbodor BKP

Trainer Cards - 33
* 2 Parallel City
* 2 Field Blower
* 2 Acerola
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 2 Cynthia
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 4 Team Rocket's Handiwork
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 3 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
* 2 Evosoda
* 2 Guzma
* 2 Enhanced Hammer
* 2 Escape Rope

Energy - 10
* 4 Double Colorless Energy
* 6 Psychic Energy

Also considering a 1-of Nihilego GX, but I don't know if a $3 card is breaking the spirit of the budget bullshit or not. Outside of that, this is a deck that costs maybe $20 to put together, and that's counting the staples and the inflated Cynthia price.

I'm trying to understand your wincon. Are you trying to mill your opponent out or are you trying to load up their discard with items?

Because I can definitely recommend Mars for forced discard while still giving yourself card advantage, and if you're just going for straight up resource denial, Red Card is so cruel.

I say "go for it" on Nihilego, because I love its GX move but I never managed to figure out how to properly include it in a deck (that and it's my favorite Ultra Beast), so I ended up trading it for a Guzzlord.

I'm trying to remember. Isn't there a GX card whose move is to force your opponent to discard like 10 from the top of their deck? Could have sworn I've seen something like that happen to me before.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

I'm trying to understand your wincon. Are you trying to mill your opponent out or are you trying to load up their discard with items?

Because I can definitely recommend Mars for forced discard while still giving yourself card advantage, and if you're just going for straight up resource denial, Red Card is so cruel.

I say "go for it" on Nihilego, because I love its GX move but I never managed to figure out how to properly include it in a deck (that and it's my favorite Ultra Beast), so I ended up trading it for a Guzzlord.

I'm trying to remember. Isn't there a GX card whose move is to force your opponent to discard like 10 from the top of their deck? Could have sworn I've seen something like that happen to me before.
Mill. Trash is an alternate option to flatten something troublesome. Though I could conceivably fit a second one in...

Mars is fun, might jam a couple of those in. I've also considered Red Card and Delinquent.

1-of Nihi it is.

That's Charizard GX, which is unfortunately not even a little bit feasible.

Lorak posted:

No Lusamine / Pal Pad to reuse Handiwork?
Not Lusamine, but Pal Pad would fit in nicely.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Nihilego would be a great option then for simply stalling, because you're making it that much harder for them to win.

...I think. I mean, that's what its GX move is for, right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I found what my Garchomp deck was missing to be Regionals-ready.

4x STS Talonflame

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

I found what my Garchomp deck was missing to be Regionals-ready.

4x STS Talonflame

Seems cool. No problem with it being a dead draw after turn 1 though?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's absolutely an issue, no doubt, but I can pitch them with Ultra Balls, at least, and usually by the time they're being a consistent bother, I've got my Lucario engine up and can cherry pick the things I want. It's worth it, though, for just how often it saves me from a hand that's just "one riolu and a hand full of garbage", since that first turn or two before I get my engine rolling are absolutely crucial. Once it's self-sustaining, I'm fine, but before that, having a tutor + wall is incredibly helpful.

4x Puzzle of Time helps the deck, too.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 12, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Puzzle of Time seems pretty good, yeah. Let me know how it goes; I don't have Talonflames or Puzzles.

Meanwhile:

Won my first Standard comp with Gardevoir-GX.

Match 1: Garbotoxin/Drampa - really loving annoying. Garbotoxin shuts down most of my deck, and Drampa wrecks my Double Colorless ramping, which means you have to either one-shot them or suffer through slow basic energy buildup.
Match 2: Volcanion-EX - I hate this deck so loving much, but the opponent was playing Heatmors for some reason instead of going all-in with Turtonators and Volcanions. Long and drawn out, but once I had 2 Gardevoirs out it was over.
Match 3: I don't even know. We both started with Tapu Lele as our basic and I killed his before he killed mine. Game was over in less than a minute.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 13, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

jesus christ this dude had the most obnoxious deck and the fact that literally all of it was completely blinged out made it that much more obnoxious

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

jesus christ this dude had the most obnoxious deck and the fact that literally all of it was completely blinged out made it that much more obnoxious

I know that it's just a matter of pointing the cursor over a card to review it, but god drat do those rainbow foils look hard to tell apart.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Four Decidueye-GX (ping ping ping ping) and 2 Zoroark-GX as card filter and finisher. I don't think this dude even had anything but double colorless in his deck; he never used the Decidueyes for anything but the pinging. So loving annoying and slow to sit through.

EDIT: My mistake, 3 of each. More proof that the full rainbow set was loving hard to distinguish.

EDIT 2: 3 Decidueye, 2 Zoroark, 1 Lele. I rest my loving case. I confess, in most cases I'm fond of the lowest-rarity GX arts because they're usually the most colorful, distinguishable, and dynamic pictures. My SR Gardevoir is just a 1-of because Gardevoir is my favorite pokemon and I wanted to have at least one special card for it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 15, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

Four Decidueye-GX (ping ping ping ping) and 2 Zoroark-GX as card filter and finisher. I don't think this dude even had anything but double colorless in his deck; he never used the Decidueyes for anything but the pinging. So loving annoying and slow to sit through.

EDIT: My mistake, 3 of each. More proof that the full rainbow set was loving hard to distinguish.

Even if the reason is to max out the secondary market value of the deck, people like to do that poo poo because it scares and confuses others. It's like playing with a completely foreign-language deck; you can confuse the poo poo out of people with it if they aren't paying attention.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't scare me, but drat is it confusing. All it reminds me of are those dudes who like to floor it in their souped-up 4-bangers with gigantic exhausts to show off.

At any rate, I think I'm done spending money on this game for now. I collected the Zoroarks I wanted and have a full playset now-- and the only reason I did that is because I'm having an extremely stressful week (dog diagnosed with terminal and very aggressive cancer) and it was my old diehard habit of retail therapy kicking in. Gotta stop being so reckless over virtual cardboard. Don't wanna relive my Puzzle and Dragons days.

EDIT:

My 2 3rd/4th place consolation packs for being wrecked in an event gave me some kinda cool poo poo

EDIT 2:

why do i keep facing buzzwole decks with absolutely flawless luck

still, cool card

Framboise fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 15, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
yo pmush I found a stall deck you may like

http://pokedeckcentral.com/2018/02/ultra-prisms-crazy-strong-mill-stall-deck-oranguru-looker-and-raichu/

I just faced a deck similar to it (some changes, like Leles and the draw-up-to-3 Oranguru) and it's a complete bitch to face because it goes all-in on resource denial and mill. I managed to get him down to 1 prize with Lele needing one more hit... but he also Team Flare'd away Zoroark's double colorless (for like the fifth time) and I only had one card left. Sad times.

I hate it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Guys, I think Garchomp might be good.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

You know what's crazy good? That new Alolan Sandslash. 0 energy for a 30 damage attack that does 60 more if you take a hit next turn.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Guys, I think Garchomp might be good.

Garchomp is solid. Probably especially good in the 3-star versus rank, because literally everyone is either running Zoroark decks or Buzzwole/Lycanroc decks to counter Zoroark and it's kind of miserable

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I'm just getting in at the ground floor, grinding out Theme Deck VS and Tournaments, and using the booster packs to trade for more booster packs, but so far this game seems really scarcely documented online? I can't really find any information on the current meta, or constructed decks, outside of the top, top-tier stuff.

That's probably a really, really good thing for savvy players, but I might just be wrong, and looking in stupid places? I'm looking for something that cam grind out the VS ladder quicker than the Garchomp Theme Deck can.

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

Tyma posted:

I'm just getting in at the ground floor, grinding out Theme Deck VS and Tournaments, and using the booster packs to trade for more booster packs, but so far this game seems really scarcely documented online? I can't really find any information on the current meta, or constructed decks, outside of the top, top-tier stuff.

That's probably a really, really good thing for savvy players, but I might just be wrong, and looking in stupid places? I'm looking for something that cam grind out the VS ladder quicker than the Garchomp Theme Deck can.

No, you're basically right. PTCG is super niche and there's very little competitive or semi-competitve content out there compared to other card games, and what little there is is paywalled. If you're looking to grind the VS Ladder, with the win-streak bonus system it's best to just play a top-tier deck. http://limitlesstcg.com/tournaments/ gives you top-placing decklists from recent tournaments. https://www.facebook.com/groups/heyfontepokemon/ is basically the most active competitive discussion group available. Youtube channels like DarkIntegralGaming and YellowSwellow can give you semi-competitve or budget deck ideas, though you'd rarely see those decks in tournaments.

Edit: If you're looking for the best theme deck, I have no personal experience but the ptcgo subreddit says it is Mach Strike, Imperial Command, and Clanging Thunder.

DarciisFyer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 17, 2018

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Thanks for the link to the Facebook group. I'll scour that for info later :D

I think Mach Strike has to be the best deck. It has a 2-card combo that kills almost any card in the format, another 2-card combo which is literally "tutor for any card", and can be used even if both Pokemon are on the bench, or used twice per turn if you have both Lucarios out. The tutor effect feels like you're playing a card game in the Yugioh anime, where you can constantly pull out the one terrible Item or Supporter card which just happens to be the one thing that gets you the win.

It's a crazy Starter Deck that feels like playing Type-1 MTG, and from what I gather, the constructed game is so full of similar effects that I'm absolutely sold on giving it a solid go for the next few weeks :D

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Garchomp is solid. Probably especially good in the 3-star versus rank, because literally everyone is either running Zoroark decks or Buzzwole/Lycanroc decks to counter Zoroark and it's kind of miserable
My streak finally got broken at 13...

By Decidueye GX. 240 HP is that magic number of being really hard for me to kill. I'm proud of myself because I didn't lose because of some terrible misplay, just a bad matchup (that's going to be better once May hits and I can use Strong Energy).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

My streak finally got broken at 13...

By Decidueye GX. 240 HP is that magic number of being really hard for me to kill. I'm proud of myself because I didn't lose because of some terrible misplay, just a bad matchup (that's going to be better once May hits and I can use Strong Energy).

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Fighting Type Garchomp. The deck will be that much more consistent and it'll be all the more reason to run my Buzzwole in there.

Got a deck list for what you're currently running?

Meanwhile, I delved into building an Expanded deck after I saw that there's a deck that's almost entirely Gardevoir and seems super efficient so far:

it's so fun when it works

like, 110-140 damage for ONE energy is just so stupid good

</favorite pokemon bias>

Also, there is NOTHING more satisfying than popping a Karen against a full Night March discard pile... and using VS Seeker to do it again.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Matsuri posted:

Also, there is NOTHING more satisfying than popping a Karen against a full Night March discard pile... and using VS Seeker to do it again.

Using Oricorio's Revelation Dance to punish them further?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Lorak posted:

Using Oricorio's Revelation Dance to punish them further?

It seems like a cool option! Especially if it means you can wipe out some Joltiks and Pumpkaboos in one shot. But also kind of a nonbo with Karen, who hoses the deck super hard itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
On that note, I am considering popping in an Ultra Prism Magearna into the deck for the sake of moving Spirit Links around rather than hoping to draw into them.

• Locked thread