Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

cellular aspect of the 3 is seriously blowing my mind. Already a few tiny scratches you can only notice from a very particular lightning angle that are bugging me. Might get a tempered glass cover or something. I know, I'm that guy

it's my first since the pebble steel so this is some power user stuff to me. Any good youtube videos or articles that break down the cool features and sick tricks

Have the sport loop or whatever the mesh one is and while it's comfy I definitely want to try the milanese loop band. Sucks but both of those aren't the most hygienic, so might have to opt for the sportband so you can easily wipe grime away.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve always been Just Fine about screen protectors on phones and iPads, but they’re really, really bad on the watch. The small screen looks really bad with a skin, and there’s way too much visible edge line per inch or whatever you want to call it — especially with a glass cover, look at the screen and notice how much of it is curved, and glass doesn’t bend.

Seriously, pass on them.

Can’t really think of any tricks, except if you have a workout going the music controls automatically are put on a screen to the right (I.e. swipe r-l from the workout screen to get Now Playing).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

MarcusSA posted:

You have to go to the store but be warned my watch was doing the same thing and it came back as still in spec and they wouldn’t replace the battery.

I just ended up replacing it with a 3 and I’m happier overall.

My hunch would be that Apple might be a bit on edge about batteries at the minute, so your chance of getting it replaced is probably higher. That said, I have no evidence to support this.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

cellular aspect of the 3 is seriously blowing my mind. Already a few tiny scratches you can only notice from a very particular lightning angle that are bugging me. Might get a tempered glass cover or something. I know, I'm that guy

It's like buying a new car and getting the first scratch, give it a few weeks and you won't give a gently caress.

quote:

it's my first since the pebble steel so this is some power user stuff to me. Any good youtube videos or articles that break down the cool features and sick tricks

There are none. It's a really good watch for notifications but phone apps almost universally suck, even ones that seem like they might make sense.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

MarcusSA posted:

You have to go to the store but be warned my watch was doing the same thing and it came back as still in spec and they wouldn’t replace the battery.

I just ended up replacing it with a 3 and I’m happier overall.

Yeah, I should probably just buy a replacement instead. I only use the Series 0 for weekends and yard work anyhow. Does anybody have a ceramic model? How's it holding up?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I wish there was a way to disable tap to wake and force the watch to require a press on the crown. My watch keeps waking while I’m out on hikes and messing with playing music or podcasts, requiring me to stop what I’m doing and fix it.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Evis posted:

I wish there was a way to disable tap to wake and force the watch to require a press on the crown. My watch keeps waking while I’m out on hikes and messing with playing music or podcasts, requiring me to stop what I’m doing and fix it.

Try movie mode.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Evis posted:

I didn’t realise you could tap to wake, I was always moving my wrist. That’s handy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The iBooks manual is really big and surprisingly worth a read. You can easily download it to your phone from the Watch app itself. I learned a lot of tricks I didn't know a month in and got a better understanding of how several features worked that weren't quite clear to me.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 4, 2018

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

ChetReckless posted:

I'm going to quote myself from earlier in the thread:

I knew going in that the Apple Watch wasn't going to be as good as a Garmin Forerunner, but ultimately I went with the Apple because of its non-running capabilities. However, I've been so dissatisfied with Apple Watch runtracking that I had taken to wearing my Garmin GPS and HR activity tracker that I upgraded from on my other wrist during runs just to get better stats.

I just finished my first run with iSmoothRun (and yup, Garmin on the other wrist as backup). It's amazing, definitely was worth $5, and now I have everything I need for running in my watch. Thanks for the recommendation!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s great to read because I was feeling the same way. I bought iSmoothRun a couple weeks ago but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got some AirPods for my series 3 last week and my life is now different.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

They're so cool

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Disneyland pretty much universally accepts Apple Pay now and all is right in the world

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Rolo posted:

pods is best

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Rolo posted:

I’ve been really happy with my Anker Soundbuds Slim. For $25 they are a steal. Three-ish years ago I tried some $100 Jaybirds and their reception and sound was horrid so I’m happy Bluetooth buds have come along so quickly.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

resident posted:

I’ve been really happy with my Anker Soundbuds Slim. For $25 they are a steal. Three-ish years ago I tried some $100 Jaybirds and their reception and sound was horrid so I’m happy Bluetooth buds have come along so quickly.

Android thread for poors is this way sir https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689060

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
gently caress ‘em, I’ve got Anker soundbuds too and they’re great for the price.

Tho I would take a pair of AirPods in a heartbeat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Heck I’ve heard good things from a lot of people.

I was planning on looking at some Anker ones but the big mistake I made was going to Apple and trying the pods out. I work on loud/windy airport ramps and the mic quality on these things is splendid.

Then they told me about all the other features.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I use airpods when I’m out walking or in the house but I don’t know how people can use them or EarPods on the Underground because the trains just drown everything out. I was given some beats running wireless headphones and they are pretty shoddy so I may try those Anker headphones. Is the slim just the upgrade on the previous version?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Housh posted:

Do share a link.

Sooooo late... sorry.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XK8N2LL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is how it looks.

It is not light at all and actually black.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 7, 2018

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I love my left AirPod. But the right one does not fit in my ear well at all. It alls out frequently and even when positioned perfectly is much quieter than the left one, I think due to the way it sits or whatever. I wish Apple offered sizing options, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a way to sever the “now playing” phone control from automatically coming up when music is playing? I’d rather just have my watch be a separate music player at all times. It’s somehow messing with my car receiver when my iPhone is connected via usb.

E: solved my second issue.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 7, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For the first, in the iPhone’s watch app look in General - wake screen and turn off “auto launch audio apps”.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

resident posted:

The same. I have had mine for about a year now and really impressed by them. As a plus if they get ruined or lost I am only out 20 bucks.

The AirPods don't fit in my ears at all and to me sound pretty bad. The Bose earbuds fit and sound better but again it is not worth a nearly 10x price increase for me to listen to podcasts to work and back.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For the first, in the iPhone’s watch app look in General - wake screen and turn off “auto launch audio apps”.

Thanks!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is anyone else having an issue where they have to close a restart the workout app before any workout? I have the S2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dugong posted:

Is anyone else having an issue where they have to close a restart the workout app before any workout? I have the S2.

Not since 4.2

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m completely unable to get the ‘unlock Mac with watch’ functionality to work. It’s all set up according to the instructions, and when I restart my Mac I see a note saying I need to log in manually after a restart - so it’s aware that it’s all set up. But then even after that when I lock the screen - and the note is no longer showing - I can’t get the watch to unlock it. Anyone else had this trouble?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

I’m completely unable to get the ‘unlock Mac with watch’ functionality to work. It’s all set up according to the instructions, and when I restart my Mac I see a note saying I need to log in manually after a restart - so it’s aware that it’s all set up. But then even after that when I lock the screen - and the note is no longer showing - I can’t get the watch to unlock it. Anyone else had this trouble?

Tried restarting the watch? (Hold down both buttons).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

LPG Giant posted:

Tried restarting the watch? (Hold down both buttons).

Just given this a shot (thanks!), but still the same problem. I've tried a couple of guides as well - last thing to do is unpair/repair. I'll update the thread when there's a solution.

update: Unpairing / repairing has fixed it, it now unlocks when I'm near the laptop. Excellent!

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 14, 2018

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A ton of links for knockoff sports bands are dead now. And these are links from like two months ago.

Does Apple have some kind of claim to the band design and decided to throw its weight around, or is this just a thing where companies selling $10 watch bands have short life spans?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

A ton of links for knockoff sports bands are dead now. And these are links from like two months ago.

Does Apple have some kind of claim to the band design and decided to throw its weight around, or is this just a thing where companies selling $10 watch bands have short life spans?
Probably both. There's still plenty available on Amazon though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Pants Donkey posted:

I think it is largely a symptom of how they are produced, I doubt there is a factory pumping out sports band knockoffs 24/7, they run a bunch of big batches, dump them on the market and move on to making something else, 3rd party sellers buy up parts of the batch with the knowledge that they aren't in stock and they can't just place another order and have it arrive the next week. Plus a lot of these resellers are probably fly-by-night outfits that buy some things in bulk that they think they can resell at a large profit and realize they got in over their head or it isn't quite as lucrative as they thought.

Apple has some obligations to enforce their trademarks, copyrights and patents but considering they have already opened up the band for licensing and their real profit is on the watches I doubt they spend too much effort trying to squash every little reseller and the manufactures are largely out of reach in China.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Bought a black Sport Loop yesterday. It's a nice band.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The nylon(?) sport loop is something I wouldn’t have tried without mine coming with one, and it’s a band I will now never stray from.

It’s insanely comfortable and I never knew how much I hated having designated hole sizes that are either too big or small.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit wrong thread

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 18, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can you turn your TV on/off with HDMI-CEC via Siri on your phone? I know when you sleep the TV you can have it turn off all connected devices which is nice

If you have an Apple TV connected via HomeKit you should be able to tell Siri to turn it on.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry meant to post that in the Apple TV thread 🙃

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sorry meant to post that in the Apple TV thread 🙃

Still applies! Should be able to yell at your watch to turn the drat tv on.