Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Likely Dominaria set symbol spotted

Aven head :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tainen posted:

Aven head :)

Good eye, I was thinking some sort of shield

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rinkles posted:

Glad to see Master Chief is here to finish the fight.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Open those packs and show what's inside

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Zooming in on the teferi planeswalker packaging shows vraska scheming gorgon

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Chandra's covering up a Huatli too, haha.

I'm pretty excited for Dominaria. I'm really hoping it's good after not having any interest whatsoever in Amonkhet or Ixalan.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rinkles posted:

If you squint the right way it looks like Goatse.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

No ring.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Matsuri posted:

I mean I thought the new Teferi art looked badass :unsmith:

Canon Teferi is bald, my immersion

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GoutPatrol posted:

The beard threw me for a bigger loop than the scalp hair tbqh

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

its been a while, he's allowed to grow hair if he wants

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

If you squint the right way everything looks like goatse

Have you seen PAC-manioc’s av

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Why does summoning sickness apply if a creature changes contollers, instead of just checking if the creature came into play that turn? What issue was that rule addressing?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mad Jaqk posted:

Why does summoning sickness apply if a creature changes contollers, instead of just checking if the creature came into play that turn? What issue was that rule addressing?

its not really addressing a rule per se, the specific wording for summoning sickness is saying it cant attack the turn it comes under your control, it doesn't actually have anything to do with summoning funnily enough

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Mad Jaqk posted:

The rule isnt come into play its that it must have been under control of the player since the beginning of the turn.

Since i started playing tron I learned that any creatures that get put into play by Karns ultimate also count as having been under your control since the beginning of the turn and their etb triggers go on the stack during your upkeep.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mad Jaqk posted:

you would probably be pretty confused if someone on an opposing army yanked you by the arm over to their side and you suddenly felt compelled to fight for them imo

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

its not really addressing a rule per se, the specific wording for summoning sickness is saying it cant attack the turn it comes under your control, it doesn't actually have anything to do with summoning funnily enough

Stangg posted:

The rule isnt come into play its that it must have been under control of the player since the beginning of the turn.

OK, but is there any reason (beyond flavor) that the rule was written like that to begin with? Would switching over to the more intuitive definition break something?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I had a really rotten night tonight on Ramunap-less Ramunap Red (0-3 with a bye :lol:) so I'm taking what my heart desires next Saturday to Standard Showdown

MONO BLACK STUFFBLACK HEARTS gently caress I SHOULDA NAMED IT THIS TO START

x4 Dread Wanderer
x4 Night Market Lookout
x4 Gifted Aetherborn
x4 Scrapheap Scrounger
x4 Ammit Eternal
x4 Ruin Raider
x1 Bontu, the Glorified

x2 Supernatural Stamina
x3 Fatal Push
x4 Walk the Plank

x4 Heart of Kiran

x18 Swamp
x4 Ifnir Deadlands

SB
x2 Lost Legacy (for Approach)
x4 Duress (for all the midrange and control poo poo in my LGS)
x2 Harsh Scrutiny (any for creatures I can't remove)
x2 Doomfall (for removal for any random-rear end merfolk deck I run into, which I shouldn't)
x3 Vraska's Contempt (I played against planeswalkers in all three rounds tonight)
x2 Bontu's Last Reckoning

Kind of a mishmash of mono-black lists I've seen. I think Ammit's are dope, and I haven't cast any yet.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 18, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what makes you think your proposed rule is more intuitive? (other than "that's how i thought it worked", which is pretty anecdotal)

changing it now is pretty much out of the question, since that involves literally everyone who already knows how to play the game having to re-learn their intuition about this particular case. there'd have to be an actual defineable benefit to making such a change.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
The battlefield is a big place, if you want flavour, summoning a creature over to your side in the middle of a battle (each turn is a battle in the overall war that is the game) will take time so it will not be ready to fight immediately (unless it is given help, haste).

Does that work for you?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mad Jaqk posted:

It might have been to slightly weaken Control Magic. Could you imagine your Shivan Dragon getting Control Magiced and taking 5 immediate? That'd be brutal.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I feel like the mechanical principle behind summoning sickness is to give the opponent a chance to do something about a creature before it can act. So by that principle, changes of control should also require you to wait a turn to use the creature. That was always how I though about it, anyway.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

http://news.toyark.com/2018/02/17/toy-fair-2018-hasbro-magic-gathering-288666

DOM/C19 packaging, planeswalker decks, prerelease kits etc.

Interesting details: they're nerfing Planeswalker decks to only include one additional booster with C19 (there's a Tezzeret PW deck in the photos) and the C19 set symbol, to no one's surprise, is M19

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

ShadeofBlue posted:

I feel like the mechanical principle behind summoning sickness is to give the opponent a chance to do something about a creature before it can act. So by that principle, changes of control should also require you to wait a turn to use the creature. That was always how I though about it, anyway.

I guess that makes sense. Thank you!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yeah, this is why it's the rule--so that for most threats, you have a full turn to respond or deal with them, ensuring that the game is more interactive. If every creature could attack immediately, then players would attack less late in games, because now every creature an opponent plays is basically direct damage if you have no blockers (lord of the pit may as well have been a 7-damage to the dome spell), which is more likely to cause games to drag.

It's a good rule.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Mad Jaqk posted:

OK, but is there any reason (beyond flavor) that the rule was written like that to begin with? Would switching over to the more intuitive definition break something?

Blue doesn't get haste

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Blue doesn't get haste

*sniff* actually *points to the Future Sight card that has haste*

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lol there's a U/B mill deck at 11-2 at GP Lyon

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AceClown posted:

lol there's a U/B mill deck at 11-2 at GP Lyon

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh buddy

Was it on camera at all?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh buddy

Was it on camera at all?

Currently getting its poo poo kicked in by Jeskai. Funnily enough I was playing this Jeskai deck against mill 2 weeks ago and lost badly, but that was due to two games of double archive traps turn 1. No trap resolved in this match.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Heh half the top 8 of this GP is Tron... Basically there is no reason not to try to kill people on T3 in modern.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 18, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how much money do you spend on this game on average?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Haha. Lifetime? :shepicide:

These days, 20-30/week on a couple drafts.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

How much you got?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

Way too much for the amount of time that I spend playing it. Gotta slim my collection down to just a few decks and sell off the rest but I can never decide which decks I enjoy the most...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

Heh half the top 8 of this GP is Tron... Basically there is no reason not to try to kill people on T3 in modern.

Pretty sure this is a pre unbanning tournament, though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kurtofan posted:

LOL

Rinkles posted:

Pretty sure this is a pre unbanning tournament, though.

Yeah but Jace and BBE just make you want to kill them earlier even more.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Hahahahahah... hah...

:shepicide:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Katana Gomai posted:

http://news.toyark.com/2018/02/17/toy-fair-2018-hasbro-magic-gathering-288666

DOM/C19 packaging, planeswalker decks, prerelease kits etc.

Interesting details: they're nerfing Planeswalker decks to only include one additional booster with C19 (there's a Tezzeret PW deck in the photos) and the C19 set symbol, to no one's surprise, is M19

I almost forgot how much I hated the new MtG logo.

Also lol at the SWOLE shirt with a green mana symbol as the O.

Kurtofan posted:

Hahahahahah... hah...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Haha. Lifetime? :shepicide:

I've only been playing a couple years and I've probably spent a couple thousand. To my credit I've really slowed down ever since I finished my EDH decks and only really ever play that and Pauper anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

How much you got?

I make 500 euros per month from my small job, but I live with my parents so I don't have a lot of expenses. i'd rather limit myself to...80 euros per month? that seems reasonable.

hell, less if no sets come out that month. I spend a bit this month to get a dozen boosters from the last few sets, but I'll try spending less next month, probably only on drafts or sealed events (one per week).

was trying to see if that's a lot for the average mtg player (considering I'm not interested in constructed right now)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 18, 2018