Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Section Z posted:

"What if somebody has been struggling to unlock the laser cutter for hours? They would be glad to have... Oh gently caress them all and burn it to the ground because an ion battery 'ruined your game'? Okay."

Holy gently caress this. I legit can not find any prawn drill arms and some other stuff I need for my prawn/cyclops, I'm thinking they're in areas I can't access atm. I need the arms though for the resources so I can make the MK depth modules for my Cyclops so I can continue on into those areas. It really crappy atm. I'm basically just thinking of starting a game from scratch. If someone hadn't been nice enough to put a few batteries and some water into a few of the capsules I found at the beginning of the game, I would of been boned hard cause the only battery chargers I found, were when I made it onto the Aurora cause none of the wrecks around me that were safe depth had any..
When I have the chance to make a time capsule another person going to get some hard to find stuff cause seriously that stuff helps. gently caress people who think "oh my you gotta do it this way" not all of us got maps our first time round, that populated poo poo where it would of been easy findings.

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Ciaphas posted:

I kind of don't want to explore anywhere with the Prawn because of how hard it is to travel vertically in it. Oh god what if I strand that expensive thing in the Jellyshroom biome :ohdear:

Finished looking around there and the Degassi area though, finally made a battery charger, then realized there's no reason I can't have a fabricator and radio in the cyclops and made those, and now the world is my oyster.

Except I've run out of guidance from the radio and I haven't a sodding clue where to explore next. :(

Regarding the Prawn's vertically-challenged nature, you can construct foundations and use them as jumping platforms. Or just install a grapple arm and alternate between that and the jets.
Regarding guidance, well. If you've gotten the Cyclops you probably know about the northeastern island. The radio has also probably prompted you about the Aurora, and more importantly about the Captain's Quarters. That means you've got a way off this rock, but also you've got an obstacle. You need some way to shut down the obstacle but you can't shut down the cannon if you're infected, which means you need some way to get a cure.

WaffleLove posted:

Holy gently caress this. I legit can not find any prawn drill arms and some other stuff I need for my prawn/cyclops, I'm thinking they're in areas I can't access atm.

For a drill arm, check some of the wrecks in Grand Reef. If you've got a prawn or cyclops then you should easily be able to go there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I know, right? These people are receiving help from a stranger and throwing it in the mud. Then, when it comes their time to help someone else, they give them a bottle of piss. It costs absolutely nothing to put anything in a time capsule, why would you not do that. There's some kind of deep social commentary to be made here but I am too angry about this and I just can not be arsed.

WaffleLove posted:

Holy gently caress this. I legit can not find any prawn drill arms and some other stuff I need for my prawn/cyclops, I'm thinking they're in areas I can't access atm. I need the arms though for the resources so I can make the MK depth modules for my Cyclops so I can continue on into those areas. It really crappy atm. I'm basically just thinking of starting a game from scratch. If someone hadn't been nice enough to put a few batteries and some water into a few of the capsules I found at the beginning of the game, I would of been boned hard cause the only battery chargers I found, were when I made it onto the Aurora cause none of the wrecks around me that were safe depth had any..
When I have the chance to make a time capsule another person going to get some hard to find stuff cause seriously that stuff helps. gently caress people who think "oh my you gotta do it this way" not all of us got maps our first time round, that populated poo poo where it would of been easy findings.
My Groundhog day loop for how many times I spent beating the game already apparently turned me into a deranged Doctor Suess.

Fuuuuuuck the default jumpjets. I'd gladly go without a prawn thermal reactor in favor of jumpjets. And I often do, because I'm obsessed with putting two cargo pods on my Prawn :v:

Ciaphas posted:

I kind of don't want to explore anywhere with the Prawn because of how hard it is to travel vertically in it. Oh god what if I strand that expensive thing in the Jellyshroom biome :ohdear:

Finished looking around there and the Degassi area though, finally made a battery charger, then realized there's no reason I can't have a fabricator and radio in the cyclops and made those, and now the world is my oyster.

Except I've run out of guidance from the radio and I haven't a sodding clue where to explore next. :(

If you have not unlocked the Cyclops Depth module databox yet, check out Lifepod #2, as that is the most easily marked spot it will spawn that isn't "Oh uh, it's in one of the dunes or grand reef wrecks"

From there, while there are routes nearby. Taking a look around the blood kelp trench can give you a nice clear shot through the remaining major plot points in a row... Well, clear awkward sea brambles and rocks at least.

Well okay, the Degasi deep reef base is it's own little detour by comparison. I'm thinking of the larger locations.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 18, 2018

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

For a drill arm, check some of the wrecks in Grand Reef. If you've got a prawn or cyclops then you should easily be able to go there.

Thank you. I'll check it out once I have a chance later :) I just wana finish the story of this game, not build/swim endlessly i'll do that in the other game mode.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ciaphas posted:

Just got a scanner room going. I imagine I want these dotted all around the place, but do I want range, speed or both for upgrades?

Given the power use, if the base isn't fitted with a lot of solar panels or thermal plants, you want all speed.

If it's a big base with an infinite power supply, all range, however.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know, right? These people are receiving help from a stranger and throwing it in the mud. Then, when it comes their time to help someone else, they give them a bottle of piss. It costs absolutely nothing to put anything in a time capsule, why would you not do that. There's some kind of deep social commentary to be made here but I am too angry about this and I just can not be arsed.

I mean you can make the argument that you might want to make your time capsule something enjoyable, not necessarily powerful. The fanfic ones for example are great for that. But just putting a gently caress you in there is daft yeah.

I wouldn't want every capsule to have endgame loot in them but I'd put, like, a bunch of nutri blocks and +50 water bottles in it at least, something useful. Or something interesting like a hint message or something.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I put sea crown, a seamoth solar charger and rubies in mine. Exploring for the gems of the sea. The idea is that if someone finds it early they'd appreciate the solar and have no idea what the sea crown is for and hopefully plant it because it's a good decorating plant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was considering putting as many of the hardest to get to plant samples in there as possible, and then call it a GECK.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't know how you're supposed to unlock the Prawn via fragments (as opposed to the guaranteed unlock from large pieces in the Prawn bay on the Aurora) because I found a ton of every single prawn arm while only like 3 small prawn chunks. I found so many arms I kept accidentally scanning extras hoping that they were Prawn pieces.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sloober posted:

I put 3 posters, the mini aurora and two ion cells in my capsule.

I never actually found any capsules while playing

I think I got that time capsule! The first one I found was basically just that; it all decorates my house now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know how you're supposed to unlock the Prawn via fragments (as opposed to the guaranteed unlock from large pieces in the Prawn bay on the Aurora) because I found a ton of every single prawn arm while only like 3 small prawn chunks. I found so many arms I kept accidentally scanning extras hoping that they were Prawn pieces.

Your not. The Prawn's intended to be found in the Aurora and I'm pretty sure that the small prawn chunks that can spawn in a few wrecks are there more for flavor (and easy titanium) than to actually let you get away with not getting the large fragments.

'Cause I sure as heck haven't seen 20 prawn pieces ever. Arms yes. Pieces no.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Oh my. Do not put Crabsquid into your aquarium, and panic release them outside of your base thinking they'll swim away to the depths. Nope. Don't do it. If I didn't go check on it, it would of grown way too big for me to kill/i'd of been screwed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So does anyone actually use torpedoes?

OwlFancier posted:

I was considering putting as many of the hardest to get to plant samples in there as possible, and then call it a GECK.

I'd like to do that but plant seeds take up a ton of space. Think you could only fit two large ones in there max.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

So does anyone actually use torpedoes?
Crafted consumables, awkward reload, often won't work as advertised, and more likely to kill yourself than critters if you use the gas ones.

They can be fun, but in the end it's usually not worth it beyond the style points.

That said, home grown crash fish turned into propulsion gun ammo still works, right? Often just as "Well, that wasn't nearly as useful as the effort involved warrants", but a million times more hilarious.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Section Z posted:

Crafted consumables, awkward reload, often won't work as advertised, and more likely to kill yourself than critters if you use the gas ones.

They can be fun, but in the end it's usually not worth it beyond the style points.

That said, home grown crash fish turned into propulsion gun ammo still works, right? Often just as "Well, that wasn't nearly as useful as the effort involved warrants", but a million times more hilarious.
This. They're mostly useful as schadenfraud for some things like 'look at that crabsquid go down the drain' or 'hey sea satan EAT FART GAS now get shocked and actually go away.'
The Repulsion Cannon and stasis rifle are way more effective in actually getting stuff to go away.

If you could auto-load them from inventory or you had more shots with them before having to reload I'd use them more often. As it is the only torpedo I really use is the creature beacon launcher on the cyclops and even THAT let me down more than doing the 'silent running & sneak past everything' maneuver.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to do that but plant seeds take up a ton of space. Think you could only fit two large ones in there max.

Yeah it'd have to be the small ones which does limit what you can get.

Torps honestly are kinda weird, they don't really do anything, they home in which is nice, but I don't really know what the point is.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EponymousMrYar posted:

This. They're mostly useful as schadenfraud for some things like 'look at that crabsquid go down the drain' or 'hey sea satan EAT FART GAS now get shocked and actually go away.'
The Repulsion Cannon and stasis rifle are way more effective in actually getting stuff to go away.

If you could auto-load them from inventory or you had more shots with them before having to reload I'd use them more often. As it is the only torpedo I really use is the creature beacon launcher on the cyclops and even THAT let me down more than doing the 'silent running & sneak past everything' maneuver.
Meanwhile, I always make the decoy tubes upgrade because of how often "Slow+silent running+decoy" still doesn't prevent an attack, until I pop off a second decoy :sigh:

Granted it's mostly in the lost river that happens, but yeah. Which is quite the contrast to watching a regular reaper heading for me the moment I turn the engine on U turn away the moment I touch silent running.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 18, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can the Cyclops recharge energy in its power cells somehow? If not, and I have a power cell charger in it, I assume that's zero sum, right, or are there losses (or am I creating energy from nothingness :v:)?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Can the Cyclops recharge energy in its power cells somehow? If not, and I have a power cell charger in it, I assume that's zero sum, right, or are there losses (or am I creating energy from nothingness :v:)?
It used to let you gain perpetual energy that way, but now it's just pointless in itself to try and recharge power cells from your cyclops. Even trying to recharge batteries will kick it's rear end when not somewhere the thermal reactor is feeding you infinite energy.

Later on, you can unlock a thermal reactor specifically for the cyclops. But that requires late biome materials, and only works when you're in a place hot enough for it to matter. Thermal vents can work, but their irregular nature makes it take quite a while longer even if you have memorized/marked off their locations. So it's at it's best for making energy a non issue in the final biome.

When outside of the last biomes, a base with cell chargers is faster than trying to awkwardly park it over thermal vents. And a lot of thermal vents are down in caves or cracks the cyclops can't get near enough for proper heat anyways, like the one in the safe shallows I always build a base within 200m of.

On a similar subject, you will not unlock the ability to craft ion batteries/power cells, until you are at the penultimate plot location. Which is roughly 10 minutes away from the final plot location. So don't expect those to help your power needs for most of the game unless you find them in time capsules, or you deliberately rush for them.

The Cyclops can go far on normal power cells when it's just driving along and rare usage of it's utilitys. But not needing to use the utility like silent running or shields more than once or twice a trip is mostly down to having the route memorized already. I could make the trip from the safe shallows to the deepest location with half the power cells removed from the cyclops thanks to foreknowledge if my last trip is anything to go by (I didn't plug batteries in this time :downs:). But a natural playthrough is going to want at least a full set of spare power cells just in case.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 18, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I haven't seen the need or use for silent running or weaponry or similar yet. I imagine I will of course this being a game that loving hates me and wants me to die of cardiac arrest, I haven't been below 300m yet because the dark is terrifying :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

"This ecological biome matches 7 of the 9 preconditions for stimulating terror in humans."

thanks, thanks game

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 18, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

"This ecological biome matches 7 of the 9 preconditions for stimulating terror in humans."

thanks, thanks game

After hearing that line I actually did a google search to if "9 conditions for stimulating terror" was actually a thing. Only results were people talking about Subnautica so guess not :v:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I wonder why they ditched the line about it being "Objectively creepy?"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Plek posted:

Because then if I think the abyss is actually pretty endearing it's not objective :downs:

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 18, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Plek posted:

Better writing. "Objectively creepy" sounds less like something a helpful but emotionally void AI would say.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tonight's "oh gently caress me it's 2:30 in the morning" whinge: how the hell can i not build a modification station yet, i just KNOW i should have had that a dog's age ago

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have you been exploring wrecks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Have you been exploring wrecks

Every one I see and can! I keep finding mobile vehicle bay fragment #463 or seamoth and laser cutter fragments because obviously i have both

Think tomorrow later today, jesus I'm gonna go back to the Aurora and start there, I know there's Jerks about but I never thoroughly explored the seabed there, especially near the fore of the ship

(e) god's sakes i've tussled with crabsquid (ended marginally, i got the scan so i claim moral victory) and warpers (fuckin cheaters) and been to a place with green gassy crap on the ground and lots of uranite, and i can't even build good fins or a proper O2 tank :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 18, 2018

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Game was too scary.

But whomever finds my trash can will walk away with charge fins, ion battery and a cyclops thermal reactor upgrade.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

For how crucial it is, the modification station really ought to be a more common bit of loot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Every one I see and can! I keep finding mobile vehicle bay fragment #463 or seamoth and laser cutter fragments because obviously i have both

Think tomorrow later today, jesus I'm gonna go back to the Aurora and start there, I know there's Jerks about but I never thoroughly explored the seabed there, especially near the fore of the ship

(e) god's sakes i've tussled with crabsquid (ended marginally, i got the scan so i claim moral victory) and warpers (fuckin cheaters) and been to a place with green gassy crap on the ground and lots of uranite, and i can't even build good fins or a proper O2 tank :mad:

If there's a particular blueprint you're having trouble finding, you can look on the wiki. It shows the possible spawn locations for the fragments.

Modification Station

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Added the ability to use nuclear reactor rods in the Cyclops' upgrade station to charge it (about 1.5 power per second for each rod). Adding it as a power module was weirdly difficult, so I went this route instead. This also has the power indicator at the top of the screen when in the sub - just doesn't show when the PDA is up. I figured that I could do a solar charger like the Seamoth, but it's likely that you'll be able to build nuclear reactor rods not too long after you get the sub to a point for deep excursions.

Latest release is here:
https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/latest

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Thyrork posted:

Why do I feel so dull playing this? I touched it for a few hours in the early access, realized it was a good choice and left it to cook. Now that I've sunk ten hours into it I don't feel any drive to continue.

I've been to The cannon, I've seen it do the thing. I've had a alien tap me in the brain wondering who I was, I've swung by the ship and gotten irritated at jumping crabs, and I built the little sub but...

It feels like I'm replaying a game I beat already. What the gently caress is broke with my brain? :smith:

I guess what I'm really asking the thread is, should I push on? Got any spoilers for whats ahead that might invest me? I'm fully prepared to drop this game entirely and take my ten hours of peaceful sea exploring as the high note.

Convince me otherwise?

Because I really wanted to love this. The ocean is awesome, the fish are cool and the premise is extremely my poo poo after playing the hell out of a minecraft modpack called Blightfall.

Have you started building a habitat yet? It's definitely worth exploring more and getting a bit attached to your little undersea base. And I love the eventual Cyclops, the big submarine, and recommend people experience it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've just built the seamoth. And like everything about this game it's filling me with fear. I'm can't drive in real life, why would I have control over a speedy depthy machine in a life or death situation. What if I crash it? What if it floats away? What if monsters attack it and strand me miles from home? This game ain't good for my heart rate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't think the Seamoth will float away, maybe if it runs out of power. I've definitely used it as a spotlight for a good long time without it moving anywhere :v: Get yourself a hull upgrade and you won't have to worry too much about bumping into stuff. Sometimes I smash into hostile wildlife on purpose just so they know I'm King poo poo of 4546B.

Also get a cargo bay upgrade too, I always keep my repair tool and a spare power cell inside. It's honestly pretty tough to lose the Seamoth by accident after you've got the hull upgrade in place.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HexiDave posted:

Added the ability to use nuclear reactor rods in the Cyclops' upgrade station to charge it (about 1.5 power per second for each rod). Adding it as a power module was weirdly difficult, so I went this route instead. This also has the power indicator at the top of the screen when in the sub - just doesn't show when the PDA is up. I figured that I could do a solar charger like the Seamoth, but it's likely that you'll be able to build nuclear reactor rods not too long after you get the sub to a point for deep excursions.

Latest release is here:
https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/latest

So, um, Windows 10 64-bit - first Windows Defender flags it, then when I run it anyway:

Failed to patch the main assembly file:

Could not load file or assembly 'dnlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=50e96378b6e77999' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)
at AssemblyPatcher.Program.PatchMainAssembly()
at AssemblyPatcher.Program.Main(String[] args)

Any ideas?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

feedmegin posted:

So, um, Windows 10 64-bit - first Windows Defender flags it, then when I run it anyway:

Failed to patch the main assembly file:

Could not load file or assembly 'dnlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=50e96378b6e77999' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)
at AssemblyPatcher.Program.PatchMainAssembly()
at AssemblyPatcher.Program.Main(String[] args)

Any ideas?

'dnlib' is the library I use to patch the game's binaries, so Defender probably doesn't appreciate that.

You have the game installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica" ? Someone else has a similar problem and I haven't figured it out yet. Only things I can think of right off the bat:
- Defender is still mad about it and is holding it or its dependencies hostage
- You don't have the .NET Runtime: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981

If you're worried about any of it being malicious, the full source for everything is in these two repos:
- Main repo: https://github.com/HexiDave/AssemblyPatcher
- Mod repo: https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HexiDave posted:

'dnlib' is the library I use to patch the game's binaries, so Defender probably doesn't appreciate that.

You have the game installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica" ? Someone else has a similar problem and I haven't figured it out yet. Only things I can think of right off the bat:
- Defender is still mad about it and is holding it or its dependencies hostage
- You don't have the .NET Runtime: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981

If you're worried about any of it being malicious, the full source for everything is in these two repos:
- Main repo: https://github.com/HexiDave/AssemblyPatcher
- Mod repo: https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods

I believe it's not malicious, don't worry :) My C: drive is a titchy SSD, so the game's installed in "D:\apps\steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica"

Trying to install the .net runtime says it's already installed, which doesn't surprise me given I've got Visual Studio 2015 and other dev stuff on here.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I believe it's not malicious, don't worry :) My C: drive is a titchy SSD, so the game's installed in "D:\apps\steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica"

Trying to install the .net runtime says it's already installed, which doesn't surprise me given I've got Visual Studio 2015 and other dev stuff on here.

Hm, I've built from VS 2017 - wonder if it's pissed about another dependency I'm not thinking of. I'll have to build a proper installer this week. Just to make sure, dnlib.dll, BootstrapLib.dll, and the Mods folder are all in Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed, and AssemblyPatcher.exe is running from the root Subnautica directory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HexiDave posted:

Hm, I've built from VS 2017 - wonder if it's pissed about another dependency I'm not thinking of. I'll have to build a proper installer this week. Just to make sure, dnlib.dll, BootstrapLib.dll, and the Mods folder are all in Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed, and AssemblyPatcher.exe is running from the root Subnautica directory?

Correct.