Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Don’t forget Liber Chaotica.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that one. :doh:

Xenomrph posted:

I own the collected Liber Chaotica but I haven’t gone page by page with it (yet), doesn’t it have some thinly veiled 40k shout-outs?

There is at least one mention of a chainsword as far as I know and possibly one mention of chaos space marines as well but I don't know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

There is at least one mention of a chainsword as far as I know and possibly one mention of chaos space marines as well but I don't know for sure.
There are straight up drawings of tanks in the Khorne section and CSMs in both the Khorne and Tzeentch sections. The "writer" has visions of 40K throughout, to the point where he's describing Abbadon's Crusades.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 15, 2018

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

DancingShade posted:

Haven't read it but it's probably the "come here" psychic beacon yeah.

So I creeped on the author, Peter Fehervari, on fb and sent a message. Super spoiler in image link -

https://i.imgur.com/oXEPDFE.jpg

muggins fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 15, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
...So I need to get this book I guess. An authour who responds like that deserves my bucks I think

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
He seems like a cool dude, maybe I'll give it a try.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I actually hadn't heard of him before I read the book, and he's got a bit of a cult following. His previous book Fire Caste is really well liked. He has a different way of writing that I think is pretty cool. He's got a couple of cool interviews:

http://hachisnaxreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/hachisnax-interviews-peter-fehervari.html?m=1

http://hachisnaxreads.blogspot.com/2016/11/hachisnax-interviews-second-peter.html?m=1

Ep 188 - Genestealer Cults, Fire Caste & More w/Peter Fehervari

URL:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/combatphase/ep_188_-_Peter_Fehervari_Genestealer_Cults__Fire_Caste.mp3?dest-id=142120

Description:
We talk loads of GW news, hobby and games played. TL;dr: Adepticon prep panic final days. Kenny WON his first event, and with old/current pointed Fyreslayers! Robert's Malifaux pales in comparison. Finally....while many of you make the trip to Chicago for Apdeticon please enjoy this interview with excellent author Peter Fehervari who discusses Genestealer Cults, Fire Caste, Mechanicus stuff and more.   Enjoy!!  

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

muggins posted:

So I creeped on the author, Peter Fehervari, on fb and sent a message. Super spoiler in image link -

https://i.imgur.com/oXEPDFE.jpg

Oh well done! I might have to read that book now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Return to your graves, xenos scum!"

"Gladly, but not before we drag you to yours."

Tomas Macabee had some nice burns.

That was against the Tau:

"Return to the graves that spawned you, monsters!"

"Gladly, but first we must help you to yours."

Vs Space Marines:

"The Emperor protects us! We will not fail!"

"You will."

"This fight isn't over yet!"

"But your life is."

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

The Necrons were great in Dark Crusade, they were like a freight train. Slow to get moving, but once they were rolling they were unstoppable.

Oh hey, 2,000,000 of my necrons just got bulldozed after 30 minutes during that war of attrition.

*Necron lord waves his hand*

Oh hello, here is my current swarm of necrons AND ALL THE DEAD 2,000,000 NECRONS.

I loved that poo poo. It was so broke but fun as hell.

Edit: Reinstalling this now.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 16, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I am now officially genuinely baffled about what BL are doing with Audible.

It's been over a fortnight since they released a Ravenor audiobook.

Specifically Ravenor Rogue, the last book of the Trilogy.

Have they just not noticed?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Deptfordx posted:

I am now officially genuinely baffled about what BL are doing with Audible.

It's been over a fortnight since they released a Ravenor audiobook.

Specifically Ravenor Rogue, the last book of the Trilogy.

Have they just not noticed?

I would say yes. They accidentally swapped the pre order and release date for Black Legion on amazon uk last year.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well I just emailed Black Library asking for clarification, will report back any response.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Can you even get in touch with GW and get a comprehensible response if you aren't a trained astropath?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

There are straight up drawings of tanks in the Khorne section and CSMs in both the Khorne and Tzeentch sections. The "writer" has visions of 40K throughout, to the point where he's describing Abbadon's Crusades.

Now that I didn't know actually. Only seen screenshots of the Chainsword page on /tg/ ages ago.

Also Fehervari seems like a cool dude based on his nice response.

Robbie MacNiven also seems like a pretty solid chap as well considering he's willing to answer a bunch of questions and such on his tumblr.
https://a-40k-author.tumblr.com/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vanadium posted:

Can you even get in touch with GW and get a comprehensible response if you aren't a trained astropath?

You need to speak the lingua franca. Don't refer to models as models, they are "tiny gems known as Citadel Miniatures TM"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Philthy posted:

Oh hey, 2,000,000 of my necrons just got bulldozed after 30 minutes during that war of attrition.

*Necron lord waves his hand*

Oh hello, here is my current swarm of necrons AND ALL THE DEAD 2,000,000 NECRONS.

I loved that poo poo. It was so broke but fun as hell.

Edit: Reinstalling this now.

:same:

I think I might have to do another Necron crusade. I’ve done it like 11 times, but it’s been several years since the last Cleansing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I haven't played since I was a teen but I seem to have the disk still. And I just finished BFG (which made my laptop chug like a motherfucker). I guess it's reinstall time!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bunnyofdoom posted:

I haven't played since I was a teen but I seem to have the disk still. And I just finished BFG (which made my laptop chug like a motherfucker). I guess it's reinstall time!

It’s on Steam as well.

I’m not sure if multiplayer is still a thing with that game, but I’d be down for some friendly Goon games. My Steam ID is xenomrph.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

It’s on Steam as well.

I’m not sure if multiplayer is still a thing with that game, but I’d be down for some friendly Goon games. My Steam ID is xenomrph.

Give me a couple days to reacquaint myself with it and I'd probs be down.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Just finished Shroud of Night.

It's...adequate, and fun. There are few if any -characters-, just faction stereotypes, but at least they are done in colorful and vivid ways. Kharn being used as a sort of unstoppable, unkillable boogeyman was kind of funny, but grew old rather soon. At least in his book with facing the Dark Angel Chapter Master he got in a few jokes and lines before some random event separates named characters so they don't ever kill each other.

As if to make up for that, the rest of the World Eater forces are just dumb bolter-fodder hordes that die by the hundreds if you spit in their general direction. I'm half-convinced the antagonists were going to be Orks in an earlier draft and then they just did a search/replace of Boyz=Berserkers and Ghagzkull=Kharn.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve got a 30% off coupon for Barnes & Noble burning a hole in my pocket, what should I get. I’ve already got the Forges of Mars and Night Lords omnibii and a bunch of the other greatest hits like Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Ciaphas Cain, and the first four Gaunt’s Ghosts books.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got a 30% off coupon for Barnes & Noble burning a hole in my pocket, what should I get. I’ve already got the Forges of Mars and Night Lords omnibii and a bunch of the other greatest hits like Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Ciaphas Cain, and the first four Gaunt’s Ghosts books.

Any combination of Enforcer, Titanicus, Mechanicum, Storm of Iron, Baneblade, Emperor's Legion, and Carrion Throne are all books I feel good recommending.

Dark Imperium is decent. The fighting bits are probably the weakest bit, but the glimpses into Guilliman's head as he struggles with the mess that is the Imperium in the 41st millennium are great, if a bit too few and far between.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baneblade sounds tempting, I like tanks and the Baneblade in Dawn of War 1 was pretty goddamn righteous.

I’m building an Imperial Knight model right now just because it looks cool, but a Baneblade is real high up on my list of “build it because it looks sweet” models.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

First Heretic, Know No Fear, Betrayer.

They're a trilogy but they're all very, very solid.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

quote:

From Purge the Guilty! An Impartial Account of the liberation of Gravalax , by Stenatious Logar. 085.M42

I'm so glad I picked up Hero of the Imperium. It's the little things that make me appreciate it more.

mythicknight fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 18, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Immanentized posted:

First Heretic, Know No Fear, Betrayer.

They're a trilogy but they're all very, very solid.

Prospero Burns.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I could only use the coupon on one item, grabbed Baneblade.

Between that and the two omnibii I got last wwwk, that’s like 2000 pages of Black Library to keep me busy.

Also bonus Imperial Knight WIP:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I could only use the coupon on one item, grabbed Baneblade.

Between that and the two omnibii I got last wwwk, that’s like 2000 pages of Black Library to keep me busy.

Also bonus Imperial Knight WIP:

Baneblade was a surprise hit for me. Did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Once you're done, there's a sequel called Shadowsword.

The Cain books are awesome, but very similar to each other. Most people would recommend against reading too many back to back.
Their somewhat repetitive nature doesn't bother me personally though. I once read all nine of them back to back. Of course, I might be biased; the HERO OF THE IMPERIUM was my first foray into black library.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I love the Cain books (enough so that I got the limited-run Ciaphas Cain miniature). I agree that they're repetitive, but I'm not bothered by it, either.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The best parts however is Amberley Vail's footnotes. They're so very snarky. :allears:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Can't stop playing Dark Crusade again. My Necrons are obliterating everything in their path. Once your dude gets 3-4 pieces of war gear he can pretty much bum rush at the beginning with a few honor guard and just win the map.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just Necron-stomped Chaos out of existence in my new campaign. Fuckin’ retard infantry kept straying too close to the Khorne pulse beacons and getting instakilled. :saddowns:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do pariahs still exist in modern necron fluff?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do pariahs still exist in modern necron fluff?

No, they all vanished with the Terminator-stylings when the Space Egyptians took over.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

I just Necron-stomped Chaos out of existence in my new campaign. Fuckin’ retard infantry kept straying too close to the Khorne pulse beacons and getting instakilled. :saddowns:

Hold stance fixes all the pathing issues and makes the game way more enjoyable.

I do let my lord run around like an idiot when I have the essence of nightbringer available because holy poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Last night I took down the Imperial Guard, their “home base” level is one of my favorites, and a lot more fun than Chaos. It really feels like the IG have this overwhelming defensive line and they’re shelling the poo poo out of you as they throw waves of infantry at your base, and slowly dismantling them is really satisfying.

Did Soulstorm have a “global campaign” mode similar to Dark Crusade? I might have to run a Necron campaign in that game too.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Last night I took down the Imperial Guard, their “home base” level is one of my favorites, and a lot more fun than Chaos. It really feels like the IG have this overwhelming defensive line and they’re shelling the poo poo out of you as they throw waves of infantry at your base, and slowly dismantling them is really satisfying.

Did Soulstorm have a “global campaign” mode similar to Dark Crusade? I might have to run a Necron campaign in that game too.

It does, but it isn't quite as spectacular as the Dark Crusade one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The trouble with the Soulstorm campaign is the incredibly long enemy turn times, the removal of built up bases (so you have to rebuild your base from scratch every single time a province is attacked, and the lack of leader banter during stronghold sieges.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The best thing about Soulstorm is that is so bad it has become good, the horrible voice acting has delivered some of the most amusing 40k memes of the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everyone harps on the "Losing 100 Baneblades" thing, but the province fluff in the game actually points out that Stubbs' headquarters is located atop an ancient Mechanicus manufacturing plant that was specifically built to crank out superheavy tanks. So he certainly has the means to have 100 Baneblades in the Kaurava System. Doesn't excuse somehow managing to lose 100 city block-sized tanks.