Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

4x ARCs probably isn't A Thing because of how obnoxiously wide the ships are on the table. Half of your games would be spent with the models removed from their bases and set off to the side so they could fit in traffic jams.

Silencers, Falcons, Ghosts, Decimators, K Wings, and soon to be Reapers, among SO many others, want a word with you. This is pretty much X Wing Mini design.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

It would've been a chunky list, but probably not broken.

What would the best generic Crew/Astromech combo?

Looking through the list, I can't really find anything glaring, especially for an assumed 23 point generic. If we go down to 22 points for a PS1, you can do FAA and Tail Gunner. Solid but not game breaking at all at PS1.

Even adding in an EPT at PS5 I can't really find anything absurd with a cursory glance. DTF on all three would be funny.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Three arcs down to gently caress sounds like my kinda party

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Kansas City's not-a-real-Regional tournament was today, and I took that triple T-70 list ConfusedUs linked a while back.

Trip report: I didn't learn how to play it until the last game. Not really.

Game 1: Against Miranda-Nym and a good local player. 100-0 loss, had Nym down to two hull and Miranda had hull damage but ended with a shield. Dodged three of the four Harpoons he fired at me, which felt pretty great. Ended up dying to bombs.

Game 2: Against the other Miranda-Nym and a local player I'd never played. 100-0 loss, due to my own incompetence. Flew directly into not just one, but two different Thermal Detonators with one of my X-wings and went down a ship early. Then limped to a loss near time.

Game 3: Against the other tanky Rebel Regen and Auto-Damage list. 66-22 loss. Newer player, but his list was basically my hard counter. Ten Numb with Mangler and C-3PO, the PS7 Wookie with Jan, Jyn, VI, and EI, and a Gray Y-wing with Autoblaster Turret. I flew fairly poorly too, but I ended up killing the Y-wing but losing two X-wings.

Game 4: Against four TIEs. Dark Curse, Mauler Mithel, Zeta Ace, and Omega Ace. 100-0 win. This was this player's first tournament, and their cards consisted of nothing but the two core sets, plus two cards borrowed from friends. I think I lost three shields, and outflew them in every phase of the game (which was the expected outcome). I hope they stick around, because their grasp of fundamentals was pretty great, they were just having trouble getting their head around the relatively large chain of triggers that my list thrives on.

Game 5: Against Backdraft, Quickdraw, and Inquisitor. 34-34 win. Lost one X-wing with roughly 30 seconds to time, went all-in and killed Quickdraw on the last turn. Won on final salvo 4-3. The entire first hour of this game saw a combined total of four shields lost between the two of us. One of those was Quickdraw hitting a rock. This is where I learned that the real strength of this list, which is that it won't loving die, ever. Every single time he tried to focus on one X-wing it'd run away and be functionally uncatchable except by the Inquisitor, and my opponent was not willing to separate his list up so I could pick them off.

End result, 2-3 and a godawful MOV, but goddamn was it fun to fly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
So what do you think of the list? Think you might fly it again?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's fun as poo poo to fly, so yes. I just took the entire tournament to learn how the list works against things that are otherwise their hard counters. I would abso-loving-lutely run away from Nym Miranda for 75 minutes if it means they get a 0 MOV loss because gently caress that list.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Neat! I'll definitely have to try it out sometime, since it sounds like a fun list.

Funnily enough I also played in a tourney today, though it was fairly low key-it was billed as a casual pre-regional tournament for local league participants, and ~16 people showed up for 4 matches. I ended up going 3-1 and taking second, thanks in large part towards favorable matchups-I took 4 BTL TLT Y-Wings, and was able to completely tear through the various Falcon and Wookie Gunship lists that were thrown my way. Only match I lost was against Fenn Rau, Thweek, and a Bumpmaster, and it was close as hell, to the point that had I not made either of two tactical errors I would have won (And as it was, the only ship he had left on the board at the end was Thweek with 1 hull left).

Man I love BTL Y-Wings.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unrelated: I realized today what one of my dream lists is, and I can't wait to make it happen when the new X-wing fixes come out.

Luke Skywalker (28)
R2-D2 (4)
Intensity (2)
S-Foils Modification (0?)
T-65 Title (0?)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (29)
R5-P9 (3)
Intensity (2)
S-Foils Modification (0?)
T-65 Title (0?)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Horton Salm (25)
Chopper (1)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
BTL-A4 (0)
Bomb Loadout (0)

Total: 100

Because I love Chopper cannibalizing the BTL-A4 title, and also it's three-ship Regen at PS 8-9. :allears:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got bamboozled by a BTL TLT Y Wing with Chopper astromech.
He guessed wrong on my turn after the joust and turned the wrong way. It would have been 2 or more turns for the guy to wheel around and get arc again. I had a potshot on him and took it, dealing 2 damage.

Then the next turn since he had lost a shield Chopper ate the title and he got shots on me for the next 2 rounds. Don't make my mistake!

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Strobe posted:

Kansas City's not-a-real-Regional tournament was today, and I took that triple T-70 list ConfusedUs linked a while back.

Could you repost or link the list? I've been looking for a decent Triple T-70 list for ages.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Good day today. Broke the slump. 4-0 at a Regional Warmup/Kit tournament. Stuck with Nym/Torani and Jostero. Jostero was an absolute monster today. So many double taps. Had quite a few more players than yesterdays Armada regional lol.

Also, my longest game went for 45 minutes.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Strobe posted:

Mind reposting the list? Triple T-70s are some of my favorite squads but ConfusedUs has 59 pages of posts to look through :stare:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Wapole Languray posted:

Could you repost or link the list? I've been looking for a decent Triple T-70 list for ages.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Mind reposting the list? Triple T-70s are some of my favorite squads but ConfusedUs has 59 pages of posts to look through :stare:

Red Squadron Veteran (26) [34]
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Intensity (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26) [34]
Intensity (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26) [32]
Intensity (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Autothrusters (2)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ninjahedgehog posted:

...huh

I post way too much about this stupid game.

Flew Thweek (double title, FCS, glitterstim, thrusters), Guri (PTL, new title, thrusters), and Fenn Rau (PTL, title, thrusters) today. It was like triple interceptors except not lovely. I really like ace-style play. God I hope Fenn/Lothal gets nerfed before the Tulsa regionals in a few weeks, so I can play something slightly off-meta without conceding the tournament.

Also, copying Omega Leader's ability with a ship that has FCS, 3 reds, 3 greens, and autothrusters is just wrong.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

...huh

I post way too much about this stupid game.

Flew Thweek (double title, FCS, glitterstim, thrusters), Guri (PTL, new title, thrusters), and Fenn Rau (PTL, title, thrusters) today. It was like triple interceptors except not lovely. I really like ace-style play. God I hope Fenn/Lothal gets nerfed before the Tulsa regionals in a few weeks, so I can play something slightly off-meta without conceding the tournament.

Also, copying Omega Leader's ability with a ship that has FCS, 3 reds, 3 greens, and autothrusters is just wrong.

How do you typically use Thweek's ability (when OL isn't around)? Just copy the highest PS?

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 18, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

How do you typically use Thweek's ability (when OL isn't around)? Just copy the highest PS?

Yeah 99% of the time you take the their pilot skill, not their pilot ability, then you fly him as an ace. With FCS you are free to take whatever defensive action is best for you (reposition, focus, etc), and you have glitterstim for any turn you really gently caress up.

That said, my MVP tonight was PTL Guri. Holy poo poo, she can get ANYWHERE even with the mediocre greens on her dial, especially if you're sure you will pick up the focus from her ability (and thus can double reposition). You can crawl sideways, do circles, whatever the hell you want.

My favorite trick tonight was starting a turn unstressed, pulling a 1-hard right, barrel-rolling right/back followed by a right boost, to end up facing 180 degrees from my original position, approximately two and a half ship-lengths behind where I started (and a bit to the side). Final position was kinda like if you could take a 2-straight maneuver backwards, then turn around at the end like a K-turn, then barrel roll to the side.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I doubt Fenn lothal is getting nerfed anytime soon. Interesting that Quickdraw is with expertise now, makes something like Rey Nym look more feasible. I think Rey Low is a decent team in Australiam meta. It's tanky enough that imperial aces will struggle to push meaningful damage out before they're whittled down/lose palp.

Edit:stop making me want to take Guri to Regionals

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Rey/Low is very strong, and tough to kill unless you''re extremely good at setting up flanks and you have at least one ship that can tank Rey's full attack strength.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I’d love to fly a triple T-70 list with FAA but I sure as heck don’t want to buy two more Heathbaripedes for them. Might just see if there’s any Imp-only players would sell me one if they nabbed a Sheath.

I’ve been practicing a lot on the FlyCasual program and it’s been a lot of fun too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

I’d love to fly a triple T-70 list with FAA but I sure as heck don’t want to buy two more Heathbaripedes for them. Might just see if there’s any Imp-only players would sell me one if they nabbed a Sheath.

I’ve been practicing a lot on the FlyCasual program and it’s been a lot of fun too.

You'll struggle to get FAAs, they'll be like gold dust. And there's nothing in the Sheathipede for Imp-only players other than Courier Droid which is just not that useful, so don't expect anything there. Maybe from Scum players who wanted Maul?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The upcoming xwing/uwing pack has more copies of FAA, so just mooch them off your buds in the meantime

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah 99% of the time you take the their pilot skill, not their pilot ability, then you fly him as an ace. With FCS you are free to take whatever defensive action is best for you (reposition, focus, etc), and you have glitterstim for any turn you really gently caress up.

That said, my MVP tonight was PTL Guri. Holy poo poo, she can get ANYWHERE even with the mediocre greens on her dial, especially if you're sure you will pick up the focus from her ability (and thus can double reposition). You can crawl sideways, do circles, whatever the hell you want.

My favorite trick tonight was starting a turn unstressed, pulling a 1-hard right, barrel-rolling right/back followed by a right boost, to end up facing 180 degrees from my original position, approximately two and a half ship-lengths behind where I started (and a bit to the side). Final position was kinda like if you could take a 2-straight maneuver backwards, then turn around at the end like a K-turn, then barrel roll to the side.

Uh, with a 1-hard and a boost it's not possible to perform a 180. At best you can end up 45 degrees short of that. And you'll end up more than a single shiplength laterally from where you started.

EDIT: there's a Starviper title that makes all this happen and I forgot it existed. Nevermind!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Even without the PTL, 1-turn back roll int he same direction is a crazy tight turn. Bump a small ship at 45, dial in a 1 turn, and you can end up behind it if it does a 1 straight.

Which is nice.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Today has been a good day for getting upgrade cards. Got Palp, Adv Targeting Comp and Tie/x1 title for 45 Aussie dollaroos.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Anybody have any advice about how to fly Asajj? (LW, Glit, Glit, Latts) It seems amazing but I have problems flying her in any way competently.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Wapole Languray posted:

Anybody have any advice about how to fly Asajj? (LW, Glit, Glit, Latts) It seems amazing but I have problems flying her in any way competently.

Point your arc to the inside of the map and do loops around the asteroids/your opponents. That's pretty much all there is to it. Try to maintain range 1-2 if you can and survive to the endgame. In a 1v1 you just take an evade action so you can avoid 2 damage guaranteed between the evade and latts, plus whatever you happen to roll. You should be able to wear most opponents down.

The hardest bit is probably engineering the right endgame that you can actually win.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I fly her paired with Dengar (Expertise, Maul, Title, Countermeasures), so would it be best to split them up and go each up a side, fly together to star? Dive in to joust out the most vulnerable enemy then start circling?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Wapole Languray posted:

I fly her paired with Dengar (Expertise, Maul, Title, Countermeasures), so would it be best to split them up and go each up a side, fly together to star? Dive in to joust out the most vulnerable enemy then start circling?

Maul is not great on Expertise bearing ships, because you have to change your focus results before you choose to do a reroll. And if you end up rerolling into a focus, you can't change it. And if you don't hit, you stay stressed which is a bummer.

Asajj is fast enough that you probably want to deploy them close and do something of a pincer move.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Actually Dengar Expertise Maul works REALLY well. Maul basically removes the need to do Target Locks, so your action choices are realistically Focus or Barrel Roll to get a shot with his pilot ability. So, normally the loop is this: Focus, Roll Bones, Expertise any Eyes, Maul any blanks, Focus any eyeballs after you Maul. If you don't spend the focus you have it for defense. You rarely have to Maul more than one die, and unless you're shooting at Aces you'll get that focus gone, and it's not like Dengar doesn't have a ton of greens to use to clear stress if necessary.

K4 is the other choice, but I always have issues with him: It forces you to use greens to get TLs instead of having motile flexibility (SO many people don't expect Dengar to turn right, it's actually surprising), and a lot of the time you might end up TL'd on something that you don't have a good shot on, while maul is universal pretty much. He's really nice if you get both of Dengar's shots off.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
For another Asajj buddy, check out Calen Wong's Asajj/Contracted Scout list.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!174:220,178,192:29:4:;219:220,190,128,-1:44:3:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Wapole Languray posted:

Actually Dengar Expertise Maul works REALLY well. Maul basically removes the need to do Target Locks, so your action choices are realistically Focus or Barrel Roll to get a shot with his pilot ability. So, normally the loop is this: Focus, Roll Bones, Expertise any Eyes, Maul any blanks, Focus any eyeballs after you Maul. If you don't spend the focus you have it for defense. You rarely have to Maul more than one die, and unless you're shooting at Aces you'll get that focus gone, and it's not like Dengar doesn't have a ton of greens to use to clear stress if necessary.

K4 is the other choice, but I always have issues with him: It forces you to use greens to get TLs instead of having motile flexibility (SO many people don't expect Dengar to turn right, it's actually surprising), and a lot of the time you might end up TL'd on something that you don't have a good shot on, while maul is universal pretty much. He's really nice if you get both of Dengar's shots off.

How are you going to get rid of multiple stress from Maul? You can't count on hitting to get rid of one and you can't always count on pulling off a green manoeuvre. Expertise and anything giving you stress is a recipe for disaster.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

I flew this twice last night and I'll probably bust it out again tonight. It's pretty drat solid. I need to throw it against some meta lists though. I did manage to take down a deci and two gunboats without eating a single harpoon which was nice.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I lost momentum with this game back when the Ghost came out because I was moving around too much and didn't have a steady community to play with. I've been keeping track of developments and it seems like the waves are getting less and less inspiring, long-awaited X-Wing fix aside.

What are the prospects for new releases going forward? We're gonna get at least two new small ship types from Solo that could be included in the game and then we won't have any new movie releases for a year and a half. Rebels is almost done too so there won't be much new material there. Is it just going to be re-skins of old ships with new cards and progressively more ridiculous EU ships from here on out?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There's still plenty of stuff to mine I think. They can still reach back to Clone Wars stuff, and there's plenty of new comics and books to look at.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So, TIE Punishers kinda suck. Would they be terribly unbalanced if they got a 0 point title that gave them the reload action? Right now they're pretty much just worse k-wings (with system instead of turret, minus slam), or worse gunboats (plus system and 2 bomb slots, minus slam and reload)

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

canyoneer posted:

So, TIE Punishers kinda suck. Would they be terribly unbalanced if they got a 0 point title that gave them the reload action? Right now they're pretty much just worse k-wings (with system instead of turret, minus slam), or worse gunboats (plus system and 2 bomb slots, minus slam and reload)

That wouldn't help them unless they also got to fire ord with a weapons disabled token. With their upgrade list, taking Extra Munitions for doubles on one torp and two missiles is worth the inability to reload. With a TIE Punisher, you should never be in the position of running OUT of ordinance. If you do, then you or your opponent did something very wrong.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

TIE Punisher Shuttle(Title) 0 points- Your upgrade bar loses all torpedo bomb and missile slots and gains 8 crew upgrade slots. You cannot equip a crew upgrade that costs more than 16 points.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Punisher has a few things working against it:
-To earn its points offensively, it has to spend points on munitions and ordnance.
-Which is a catch-22 as it can easily die after shooting only once or twice, which it will, because it's an easy target.
-The aces have both of the above problems, while being even MORE expensive, and yet their pilot skill is too low to function as aces (even if their dial supported it, which it does not).

The obvious answer WAS to make them way cheaper somehow, but there's no point anymore. The gunboat now fills the low-cost, high-offense attack platform niche.

What's that leave for the Punisher? They're not aces, and Imperial is hardly lacking for that. There is no need to be cheap, we got gunboats. Support ship? We got shuttles out the wazoo.

That really only leaves it as a heavy attack platform that dishes out the pain. Make it a ship that one simply CANNOT ignore; kill it, avoid it, or feel the wrath.

quote:

Annihilator (Unique)
Title - TIE Punisher Only

After performing an attack, you may acquire a target lock on another enemy ship in your firing arc at range 1-3. Perform an attack with a secondary weapon against that ship. You cannot attack the same ship more than once per round.

When defending, during the modify attack dice step, you may spend a blue target lock token to cancel one <hit> or <crit> result.

We have here a title that turns the Punisher (whose highest PS is 7, remember) into a first-rate Alpha strike machine, with a bit of added survivability. You can make multiple attacks per round, but not against the same target. It softens up your enemy but probably doesn't kill anything unless it's been shot first by something else. And this rapidly depletes your secondary weapons. At most you get two turns of three shots each (two missiles, one torp, extra munitions).

Not sure what this title would cost, but it would be cheap or free. If testing, I'd even tool with making it -1 or -2 just to see what happened.

You pay through the nose for all those secondary weapons: let's get to use them. Then when you add system slot upgrade (FCS?), maybe lightweight frame, and now Redline costs 40s, but at least he'd have a chance to earn back his points (unlike today). And slimmer versions designed to shoot fewer times per round are certainly possible.

I feel this is what Imperials need: something that can poke holes in tanky lists to create opportunities that the ace can exploit. Add Krennic to the list to make this Punisher a beastly thing with room leftover for a pocket ace, too.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

TaurusTorus posted:

TIE Punisher Shuttle(Title) 0 points- Your upgrade bar loses all torpedo bomb and missile slots and gains 8 crew upgrade slots. You cannot equip a crew upgrade that costs more than 16 points.

Palpatine is 8 points. What in the Star Wars universe could be worth 16?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

polynominal-c posted:

Palpatine is 8 points. What in the Star Wars universe could be worth 16?

"My father, the Emperor, had many powers of the Dark Side. But without three eyes he could never achieve perfection."
―Trioculus

• Locked thread