Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Are they actually in dire straits or are they just making funny-colored guitars now?

Actual dire straits. They have enormous debts that are due this year afaik, and a micromanaging douche for a CEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Actual dire straits, their CEO is a lowpoly furniture delivery guy

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Didn't they also get raided by the feds for using illegal foreign wood or some poo poo like that? Lol.

e: VVVVVVVVVVV ahahahahaha

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Feb 16, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're getting sued for selling the same building to two different companies as well

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Kirkland products are just rebadged name brands, but they’re held at a higher standard than many of the name brands they are derivatives of and are quantifiably better.

So yeah. Compared to Sam’s Club, Costco is the bomb.

I bought a Kirkland sweater for $22 and it turns out my office mate nearly the exact same jacket from North Face. All the stitching was even done in the exact same spots and the only real difference we found was the material used for the inner liner was a little more comfortable on the North Face one. He also paid over $150 for his.

Also Gibson's quality control is absolute poo poo now.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Neon Noodle posted:

:golfclap:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Holy poo poo, this slid right by me the first time.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Neon Noodle posted:

Look at this yo-yo, that's the way you do it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Neon Noodle posted:

The world is a better place with this post in it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Neon Noodle posted:

Who would’ve thought money for nothing and the chicks for free wasn’t a sound business plan.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Banjo people buy fake Gibsons made to look like a prewar Gibson, but not actually made by Gibson. They pay lots of money for this.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Banjo people buy fake Gibsons made to look like a prewar Gibson, but not actually made by Gibson. They pay lots of money for this.

Which war

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And Heritage bought the actual old Gibson factory and makes better Gibson's than Gibson does now

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

US Civil, I'd reckon

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CheesyDog posted:

And Heritage bought the actual old Gibson factory and makes better Gibson's than Gibson does now

Gibson is in the unique position of their discount brand sounding the same as their quality brand and their quality brand sounding worse than Chinese knockoffs.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
WW2 I think. Old wood sounds better something something. I bought a Huss and Dalton.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

As someone with both a USA Les Paul standard and an Ibanez Prestige S, the Gibson is terribly made by comparison. poo poo, I have a Korean made Agile interceptor 727 that's miles ahead in fit&finish. And it keeps it's tune. Gibson needs to update how they make their necks, because they're utter trash for the ability to not break or keep tune.

For reference, the LP MSRP was $3400 (paid 1200 with a broken, repaired headstock), the Ibanez was ~$2000, and the Agile was like $400 used. PRS can make a better Gibson in this country, I'm guessing Gibson's got a lot of corporate overhead.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
It doesn't help that some shops won't sell Gibsons because is one of those companies that put out dozens of "special editions" guitars a year. And if you want to carry any Gibsons (or their budget brand Epiphone) you have to carry their ugly overpriced guitars that nobody will want. And the people who will pay the $1500 for one of these guitars will probably instead spend it on either their copies of what Gibson made in the 50's or 60's, or Slash/Tony Iommi/etc signature models.

Everybody else will just spend that cash on guitars that are less of a crapshoot from other companies; or spend $300 'Chibson' imitation from China because gently caress spending at least five times that just to get "Gibson" written on the headstock.

On the other hand, Gibson's ugly limited edition guitars can be blown-out pretty cheap during the yearly refresh.

Fender doesn't have as many issues, mostly because their guitars are better. But also because they focus more on putting out cheaper (while still nice) products. So most of their income is from the equipment that every 12 year old gets for Christmas, then forgets about when they realize that playing guitar is actually hard.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I understand "Chibson", but " Fibson" is right there.

I go to 18|8 for my haircuts because they do a much better job at making my weird head look normal. However, they seem to be cutting the perks more and more the last three times I've gone. Originally, you could get as much alcohol as you can reasonable drink. Beer, red wine, white wine. Then, they cut down the number of drinks to 1(my stylist told me). Then no white wine at all (reds give me migraines). Finally, they switched from bottled water to tap water.

Don't get me wrong, tap water is fine (except the hair dust that can get in). It just seems to me that taking away the things that make you special is a good way to lose business. I feel like that's a trap lots of failing companies fall into.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Beachcomber posted:

It just seems to me that taking away the things that make you special is a good way to lose business. I feel like that's a trap lots of failing companies fall into.

It happens over and over - companies do or advertise that they offer something awesome, people flock to them, then thy start paring back things untl there's nothing left. people then either tolerate it, bitching about how things used to be, or they just take their business elsewhere.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

BloodBag posted:

I'm guessing Gibson's got a lot of corporate overhead.

Describes their demographic so it all makes sense.

Friend had a black beauty LP w./ the slim neck....meh!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pondex posted:

Gibson guitars are in full 'throw everything at the wall, see what sticks'-mode these days.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2018/J-45-Neon-Green.aspx

For context, Gibson's image is of traditional, impeccable workmanship. And the j-45 is one of their flagships, played by Bob Dylan, Donovan, John Lennon etc. Kind of old-fashioned, but it's a completely classic guitar.

So who, exactly, do they think is going to buy this?

A person who wants a green guitar

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A person who wants a green guitar

But surely a teenager doesn't have $2500 to buy a green Gibson and will just pick up a $150 laminate top shitbox instead.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tejano musicians are the market for those sorts of ugly things I imagine. Those dudes like to coordinate. I don't get it, but it's their look, I guess.

And maybe not neon green, but I could see som dumb hickpop types buying the other colors. Like pink, because girl, same demo who buys pink handguns.

e: I'm surprised to find out just now that Gibson isn't owned by some predatory PE firm. Usually when you hear about some previously successful company being crushed by debt and such, it's a PE doing what they do.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Feb 18, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A mildly interesting article about the rise and fall of malls.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/02/when-malls-saved-cities-from-capitalism/553610/

Since the creator of the modern mall was a refugee fleeing Nazis, I guess we can blame Hilter for that too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

walrusman posted:

But surely a teenager doesn't have $2500 to buy a green Gibson and will just pick up a $150 laminate top shitbox instead.

The question was who do they think will buy one.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

poo poo, I haven't seen pedant-trolling like that in years. Old-school, nice.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's just like the car companies that make cars for millenials, and don't understand why they don't sell to a demographic that lives in central New York and spends 125% of their income on rent and student loans.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Anyone remember Ello? The social network that was going to blow Facebook out of the water because [reason]? That everyone signed up for and forgot about a week later? Well, they just sent me this newsletter:

It's literally just an email with art/photos of butts. Uhhh.

Yeah, thanks for reminding me that I need to unsubscribe, Ello!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'd forgotten what it even was. I just got an email from them a few months and just googled how to cancel the account.

I'm shocked that Google Plus is still around.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

I'd forgotten what it even was. I just got an email from them a few months and just googled how to cancel the account.

I'm shocked that Google Plus is still around.

Google+ is one of the most popular social networks in the world...if you include YouTube and Gmail users.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
I would buy a green guitar

I need $3000 or some phenazepam

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
What ever happened to that one car company called... Elio? I remember being really interested in maybe buying one of their cars for the sake of novelty, but it looks like they're still taking reservations? It's been years since I've even thought of them. Scam?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Krotera posted:

I would buy a green guitar

I need $3000 or some phenazepam

The good news is you can buy a better quality one for a hell of a lot less than $3000.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What ever happened to that one car company called... Elio? I remember being really interested in maybe buying one of their cars for the sake of novelty, but it looks like they're still taking reservations? It's been years since I've even thought of them. Scam?

They're still around and they have production-grade prototypes that they've let auto journalists drive but they haven't been able to raise enough cash to actually start production. I think their biggest problem was that they are 10 years too late with their product. Around 2008 their super-efficient car-like tricycle would probably have found a small but decent market due to the double whammy of high gas prices and cash for clunkers (and the recession in general) depleting the supply of used regular cars. These days had prices are down, used cars are plentiful again, and even eco-conscious consumers that demand efficiency above all else have a better option in the form of EVs.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Gibson talk. I remember first learning to play guitar and lusting after a Black Beauty Les Paul. So sad they suck now and are going away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQ9SO7uF60

this guy's channel is pretty interesting in general

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

A mildly interesting article about the rise and fall of malls.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/02/when-malls-saved-cities-from-capitalism/553610/

Since the creator of the modern mall was a refugee fleeing Nazis, I guess we can blame Hilter for that too.

I've been reading this thread since it started and while logically I understand why lots of malls are dying it always makes me blink when it comes up because you can't find a parking spot at mine. Even the drat Sears is somewhat populated. But they wisely turned it into one of those "destination" malls like 15 years ago (even moreso now); it has a bunch of name restaurants (PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, that kinda thing), a movie theater, and a fuckton of apartments and condos within shouting distance. It's actually so busy that I actively avoid going near the area anymore.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

sharknado slashfic posted:

I've been reading this thread since it started and while logically I understand why lots of malls are dying it always makes me blink when it comes up because you can't find a parking spot at mine. Even the drat Sears is somewhat populated. But they wisely turned it into one of those "destination" malls like 15 years ago (even moreso now); it has a bunch of name restaurants (PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, that kinda thing), a movie theater, and a fuckton of apartments and condos within shouting distance. It's actually so busy that I actively avoid going near the area anymore.

A lot of it was oversupply - once a whole lot of them started to close, former customers started to congregate to the few that were left/had lots of services to offer. Luck plays a huge part too - if your mall finds itself in the middle of a growth area (like yours apparently has), great! And since it's getting customers, it can afford to add more services.

Here in Australia we've had relatively few closures as there was never a massive glut of malls, and the big ones still there are all spaced out enough that they don't pull customers from each other. My nearest one (probably one of the less impressive in my city) has the usual shops inside (plus two supermarkets), but it also has an attached open-air mall with a whole lot of fast-casual restaurants, a couple nicer restaurants, a movie theater, a library, two pubs, a club, some other large shops, a doctor's office, a gym, and a few other places, and it also serves as a major bus stop for several lines. The next two closest to me are built right next to/on top of rail lines, which makes up for one of them being rather old and tired design-wise.

Basically, poor civic planning will kill a mall.

Sorry if that was boring, here's Dan Bell's Dead Mall series if you haven't seen it before.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Coucho Marx posted:

A lot of it was oversupply - once a whole lot of them started to close, former customers started to congregate to the few that were left/had lots of services to offer. Luck plays a huge part too - if your mall finds itself in the middle of a growth area (like yours apparently has), great! And since it's getting customers, it can afford to add more services.
This applies to retail in general. Retail got massively overbuilt a few decades ago, and even without the advent of online shopping there would have been a (smaller) collapse to rectify that. People just don't need as many stores as were built, and especially not with ongoing income/COL squeezes reducing people's purchasing power.

It's just amplified with malls because they're big obvious structures and generally have the same damned stores even when multiple malls are within an hour of each other. And as weaker malls die off, nearby malls absorb their customers and can thrive more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
That's true - people never loving learn that boom times don't last and will happily ride the money train right off a cliff. I wonder how retail fared during other recessions?