Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Knorth posted:

What is this hyper realistic skeletons joke?

A whole lot of hack horror stories/creepypastas used to run out of steam halfway through their ideas and would almost without fail turn into "And then the picture of my family all started bleeding out of their eyes, it all looked so realistic as they rotted away into skeletons while chanting spooky poo poo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

the black husserl posted:

Not even. It's 100% creepypasta "hyper realistic skeletons repeating my IRL name!!" stuff.

I would love a slice-of-life game with subtle horror elements but this seems more like the deep lore youtube bait kind of thing. Kinda the opposite of horror since its all about sharing a "secret" with your friends.

I don't think you actually understand the concept.

A farm. You have to manage it and try to keep it running. Part of that involves defending it from strange horrors that come out of the woods, barricading yourself in at night, trying to keep your crops from mutating too much; perhaps you could bless the land to try to stop the blight? Go into the woods and destroy the source of the corruption? Whatever the solution, time is ticking and all you can do is keep it held back...

If you can look at that idea and go LOL THAT IS SOME STUPID CREEPYPASTA BULLSHIT that's cool but you clearly didn't actually read it.

"Spooky scary skeletons" "sharing a secret with your friends" are you even reading the same text I am?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Vakal posted:

A Harvest Moon set in the dust bowl during the great depression would be a pretty good start for a setting.

"Oh look, my teeth are being ground down to nubs due to constant sand in every mouthful of the little food I have left."

Also yes, I would play a Harvest Moon with the general tone and aesthetic of that old Carnivale show

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jukebox Hero posted:

If you can look at that idea and go LOL THAT IS SOME STUPID CREEPYPASTA BULLSHIT that's cool but you clearly didn't actually read it.

"Spooky scary skeletons" "sharing a secret with your friends" are you even reading the same text I am?

I think he's talking about Gleaner Heights and your talking about Darkwood?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jukebox Hero posted:

I don't think you actually understand the concept.

I think he's talking about Gleaner Heights

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Ah. If I'm being a dumbshit then my apologies. I love stuff like Darkwood, I just wish that somebody with a little more time and resources would explore similar concepts and make a game that's a little more 'fun.'

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I don't remember if it was this thread but whoever brought up "animal sacrifice" as a theme in a potential Spooky Stardew Valley was onto something. Get you to rely on your crops to survive, make the crops go bad, then offer the choice to do weird rituals to get things back to normal.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Knorth posted:

Also yes, I would play a Harvest Moon with the general tone and aesthetic of that old Carnivale show

I wish that show came out earlier so it could have had a weird point and click adventure game based on it made in like 1997 or so.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
We've got some solid ideas here people, who wants to start the wiki and whip up some concept art?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A man with a face that's a computer screen and they're playing space invaders on it

But evil

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

1stGear posted:

We've got some solid ideas here people, who wants to start the wiki and whip up some concept art?

Work in the Benandanti. A cult of good witches in northern Italy that would leave their bodies at night to protect the crops from evil witches. The inquisition did not take kindly to this

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I've got some concept art around somewhere from a horror farm themed tabletop game I was working on ages ago. I have work tonight, but I'll dig through my sketchbooks tomorrow and see what I can find.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Bogart posted:

A man with a face that's a computer screen and they're playing space invaders on it

But evil

Holy poo poo how did you get your hands on the Year Of The Ladybug design documents?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah, its Gleaner Heights that looks like a "deep lore" cash grab. Ripping off the art assets and UI from Stardew doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...

It was FNAF that started this whole mutation of the horror genre, right? It already ruined one game's design (Hello Neighbor). Really hope it doesn't catch on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it definitely started with five nights. jealous of the guy - those games gotta be quick as hell to poo poo out and he's a millionaire.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
But do people hate FNAF rip-offs more than P.T. rip-offs? I mean, how many first horror games do we need set in repeating hallways that just rip off a generic, high detail house model from Unity?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cawthorn has put more time and effort into his games than he ever needed to given the motherlode he struck and I give him props for that if nothing else.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all of the fnaf games are actually pretty distinct from each other and the dude donates a fuckton of money to childrens hospitals and the like last i heard so i can't really fault the guy

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Scott Cawthon really gets the King-esque horror of being forced to work a job that literally kills you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My favourite FNAF related opinion is that Pizzeria Simulator, the latest game, is just a cheap cash grab even though it was released unannounced completely for free. Some people put way too much energy into hating things because they don't like that a youtubeman has at some point played it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Night in the Woods specifically referenced Souls-like "deep lore" as an influence and while that game touches existential horror a bit there's a specific piece of lore in the game I feel cheapens it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

gently caress this is what happens when I'm bored.

*Reading tea leaves*
TODAY'S FORTUNE: Beware the spinner. Honey coats a bitter pill.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It was FNAF that started this whole mutation of the horror genre, right?

Slenderman mythos junk was doing it well before FNAF.

Also yeah, while a bunch of the people around the FNAF games have become super insufferable, the game expert wiki editors, the countless game theory channels trying to squeeze out every bit of material, the real obsessive weirdos, the guy who makes them pretty obviously puts his time and effort in, none of them have just been the same game farted out for easy cash when you know they could've easily gone that route and Scott Cawthon himself seems like a nice enough dude who struck gold.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah, its Gleaner Heights that looks like a "deep lore" cash grab. Ripping off the art assets and UI from Stardew doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...

It was FNAF that started this whole mutation of the horror genre, right? It already ruined one game's design (Hello Neighbor). Really hope it doesn't catch on.

I think it probably has earlier roots in those haunted video game "omg Donkey Kong looked right at the camera and said he would kill me" creepypastas from 4chan. They showed there was definitely an appetite for all this stuff.

I'm glad the FNAF dude found success, it's only the pathetic game theorists that I wish would just go away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

gently caress this is what happens when I'm bored.

*Reading tea leaves*
TODAY'S FORTUNE: Beware the spinner. Honey coats a bitter pill.

Let's do it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want someone to make an off the wall suburbia game like harvester.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The only fertilizer for your crops... is the blood of your neighbors!!1!!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Regarding FNaF, the latest Pizza Sim installment suggested that every fan game location is just a franchise of Fazbear Entertainment.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i want someone to make an off the wall suburbia game like harvester.

Could a successor to Harvester be pulled off nowadays though? Gross plot beats and real-life circumstances aside, there’s some specific commentary on the mid-90s claim of video games making people murderous and debauched.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

Night in the Woods specifically referenced Souls-like "deep lore" as an influence and while that game touches existential horror a bit there's a specific piece of lore in the game I feel cheapens it.

What's the specific lore that you think cheapens it?

Also regarding night in the woods, I think it does a solid job of (end game spoilers) dipping into the horrors of just kinda living in a sad, dying town in the rust belt, as problems pile on and tensions rise, leading to people performing actions that they might not otherwise consider in hopes of bringing the town back, listening to the big voice in the hole that asks to be fed and it'll make their town great again, just bring the rejects, the "acceptable losses," the ones nobody will miss.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 18, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Could a successor to Harvester be pulled off nowadays though? Gross plot beats and real-life circumstances aside, there’s some specific commentary on the mid-90s claim of video games making people murderous and debauched.

i just like the general weirdness of the town rather than the twist ending.

and people are still blaming video games.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Ah my favorite reaction to body horror: run to get vodka and oj, then run to your lazy boy and start drinking hard.

No seriously a lot of people would do that!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You reach that point in Harvest Moon games where your wife asks for a child but all attempts fail. You seek the forest nymph who offers a single seed. "Plant your seed twice. One in the field, one in your home. In nine months reap what you have sewn."

Then this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8SSyQi-2c

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the specific lore that you think cheapens it?

Also regarding night in the woods, I think it does a solid job of (end game spoilers) dipping into the horrors of just kinda living in a sad, dying town in the rust belt, as problems pile on and tensions rise, leading to people performing actions that they might not otherwise consider in hopes of bringing the town back, listening to the big voice in the hole that asks to be fed and it'll make their town great again, just bring the rejects, the "acceptable losses," the ones nobody will miss.

In the library there's an article that says people in the past were affected by mine gas seeping into their homes with one person hearing "singing" and disappearing into the woods. Mae had always been disassociated with reality but the article demystifies the horror element.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Regarding FNaF, the latest Pizza Sim installment suggested that every fan game location is just a franchise of Fazbear Entertainment.

Harvester is ham fisted in its message but whether it was intentional or not I think the game absolutely succeeds in its commentary on adventure game structure. You're a bumbling loser who starts off innocent but most accomplish a series of increasingly destructive tasks to achieve a nebulous goal. I don't know what more a modern Harvester could discuss but maybe like the social politics of video games and how the hobby has evolved from something nerdy to mainstream and all the old nerds are wary of outsiders breaking into their hobby.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

In the library there's an article that says people in the past were affected by mine gas seeping into their homes with one person hearing "singing" and disappearing into the woods. Mae had always been disassociated with reality but the article demystifies the horror element.

I dunno, that doesn't really [spoiler]explain away any of the supernatural elements, there are still plenty of supernatural elements to go around. It's just that the town is also legitimately hosed due to the sinkholes and being a dead mining town so it's like a combination of elder gods doin stuff, a mentally ill girl trying to cope with life,
and just some all around lovely stuff happening naturally.[/spoilers]

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

NiTW is canonically the same world as Longest Night/Lost Constellation. It's magical realism.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

al-azad posted:

No it doesn't, it just renders the supernatural elements ambiguous, like many good horror stories.

Also, yes, magical realism. Grounded emotional events coupled with supernatural ones happening concurrently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's just a metaphor for capitalism. There's nothing supernatural going on, even though people would prefer to believe there is. It's just capitalism. Capitalism!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still surprised that a game he made specifically for people who live in or had lived in western Pennsylvania was so critically acclaimed but I can't argue against it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

No it doesn't, it just renders the supernatural elements ambiguous, like many good horror stories.

Also, yes, magical realism. Grounded emotional events coupled with supernatural ones happening concurrently.

Ambiguity comes through the environment and setting. I can connect the dots of a mining town and the dangers of the environment. There is even a canary in their house and Mae’s room is right above the crawl space that connects to the basement, that’s ambiguous enough for me to see a wider picture.

It’s an unnecessary detail I wish I hadn’t seen. The article about the foreman’s teeth was the kind of thing that adds new information to a moment you would otherwise have no context for, it actually builds mythology while the mine gas article reduces it. I wouldn’t even be upset about it if it didn’t specifically quote the “song” that everyone affected by the black goat hears.

I don’t what’s safe to spoil so I’ll just do the whole thing. Play Night in the Woods btw the game’s final act really messed me up.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So you didn't think 4/20 mode was hard enough...

Are ya ready for 40/20 mode?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
the phone's definitely the scariest part.