Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Marimo-chan had a hard life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Marimo-chan had a hard life.

it really chewed her up and spat her back out

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Getting Umineko Chiru got me to get the sprite/voice patches for it and check up on the Higurashi ones (they update them occasionally), and apparently they have still been very busy with those. It now has an ADV mode so it has a text box with all the dialogue at the bottom of the screen, and Onikakushi is currently beta testing loving lip synching the sprites with the voices. That's pretty cool.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I got the Umineko answer arcs and that means I need to slog through the question arcs :(

I wish they'd finish Higurashi 6-8.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

I got the Umineko answer arcs and that means I need to slog through the question arcs :(

I wish they'd finish Higurashi 6-8.

if you go into the question arcs expecting a slog you're really not gonna have a good time, my dude

umineko is fantastic across the board and the question arcs have some of its best bits

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've just bounced off the first one pretty hard twice now. There's a lot of women with ludicrous chests, and then Battler pervs out hard over his cousin.....it feels like it's got a lot of "lol VNs are awful" stuff pretty frontloaded.

I'm sure it's just like Higurashi where once I power through to the actual plot I'll be hooked but getting there has been like two hours of straight cringe so far.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

You're past the worst of it already, honestly. I promise you an excellent and thought provoking tale awaits you if you keep going.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tbh VNs are awful in their own way.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've never read Umineko, and I do already have the Question arcs bought. But after Fata Morgana, I imagine any VN is going to fall short to me now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's apples and oranges really, they both go for pretty different types of stories. Like if you're just not down for a murder mystery at all Umineko probably do much for you regardless. At the very least I definitely felt that Umineko was my overall favorite VN for years and years prior to playing Fata Morgana.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Umineko is the only other VN that's as good as FM.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like Fata Morgana edges out Umineko for not being a million years long, not being nearly as repetitive, having a better ending, and the postmodernism stuff being integrated in a more interesting way.

Umineko has a way better beginning though. Ryu07 does some amazing stuff with atmosphere in Ep 01 that he doesn't match very often in the rest of the story again (Maybe Battler wandering around the island at the end of Ep 4 is another example).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Umineko obviously turned into something completely different later on, but part of me still fondly looks back on EP1 where it's focused more on atmosphere and is almost like a thriller with how the murder mystery plays out.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That's all reassuring, I'll have to give Umineko a try soon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

food court bailiff posted:

I've just bounced off the first one pretty hard twice now. There's a lot of women with ludicrous chests, and then Battler pervs out hard over his cousin.....it feels like it's got a lot of "lol VNs are awful" stuff pretty frontloaded.

I'm sure it's just like Higurashi where once I power through to the actual plot I'll be hooked but getting there has been like two hours of straight cringe so far.

Are you playing with the ps3 patch? It fixes some of the problems i had with the character art for the ladies (eva, what is wrong with your waist?!) also the faces are better and Krauss is finally as cute as he should be.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

even if you don't download the ps3 patch (the sprites are nice but I really don't like how it turns the text into a "traditional" visual novel style) please for the love of god switch to the original sprites

the pachinko graphics are an affront to gods and witches and anyone with eyes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does anybody here play any Otome games? If so, any they can recommend?

I'm super excited for Hakuoki Edo Blossoms but I was thinking of looking into these other games like Amnesia or Code Realize. (Of course I just see that they are releasing a new one of these Code Realize games for PS4 next month when I no longer have a PS4 which is mildly frustrating)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm super excited for Hakuoki Edo Blossoms but I was thinking of looking into these other games like Amnesia or Code Realize. (Of course I just see that they are releasing a new one of these Code Realize games for PS4 next month when I no longer have a PS4 which is mildly frustrating)

I do occasionally. I enjoyed Code Realize. I haven't personally played many otome where the protagonist has much of an established personality so I quite liked that. I found myself genuinely interested in the stories of the different guys and the payoffs for some of the character arcs felt pretty good. I would not call it a masterpiece but I enjoyed it and I intend to get that PS4 followup at some point.

I wish I could say the same for Amnesia but it just didn't do it for me. I thought a couple of the guys were too creepy for me to enjoy their stories. There were parts I liked, but the highs weren't all that high for me and the lows stick out in my memory more.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In an effort to stave off burnout, the Fault team made a different game: Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell, a surreal fairy tale with astonishingly beautiful art. It's dirt cheap and quite short. I highly recommend it.

In the interest of full disclosure: I back them on Patreon and got it for free.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dmboogie posted:

even if you don't download the ps3 patch (the sprites are nice but I really don't like how it turns the text into a "traditional" visual novel style) please for the love of god switch to the original sprites

the pachinko graphics are an affront to gods and witches and anyone with eyes
I went to bat for years for the original Umineko sprites; I felt they were just so much more expressive than the PS3 equivalents (Beatrice especially) and that in the end RK07's work had improved enough that it really wasn't that bad even if a lot of said improvements were only partly because he chose to have the characters' club hands below the waist and out of frame this time around. Some characters like George going from being kind of chubby to slim/buff bishounen also I think kind of muddles their characterization. However eventually it just became clear that people had such a bee in their bonnet about them that I more or less switched to recommending the PS3 sprites if only because I'd rather more people play Umineko at all rather than skip it because of the original sprites.

The pachinko sprites really are sooooooo terrible though.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

NikkolasKing posted:

grand theft grotto posted:

I do occasionally. I enjoyed Code Realize. I haven't personally played many otome where the protagonist has much of an established personality so I quite liked that. I found myself genuinely interested in the stories of the different guys and the payoffs for some of the character arcs felt pretty good. I would not call it a masterpiece but I enjoyed it and I intend to get that PS4 followup at some point.

I wish I could say the same for Amnesia but it just didn't do it for me. I thought a couple of the guys were too creepy for me to enjoy their stories. There were parts I liked, but the highs weren't all that high for me and the lows stick out in my memory more.

I love otome games even though most of them are very problematic.

The PS4 Code Realize is just part 1 and 2 stuck together one one disc, so if you already played Vita part 1, you can just get Vita part 2 which is called Future Blessings. I also liked Code Realize and can't wait to romance Herlock Sholmes.

Amnesia is one of the worst in terms of "that guy" but I did really like Ken's story and some of the rest of it is ok. I think this was a PS+ game already so if you got it for free, I would say give it a shot, but don't pay full price under any circumstances.

Unfortunately, most of the other Vita otome games are not worth recommending unless you are really into them. Bad Apple Wars is just dumb and I barely remember any of it even though it was the most recent one I played. Norn9 made no sense for most of it but it was interesting that you got to play 3 different girls. Collar x Malice was another with a really dumb plot but it did have some good moments.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I love otome games :3:

I'm hyped for the C:R FD which will be out a few months. I liked C:R>Norn9>Amnesia>CollarxMalice. Also some indie VN on PC if you don't mind the lack of portability like Nightshade along w/the ocean of ported mobage on steam. I have a lot of feelings w/anime BFs.

This will probably be the last remake of Hakuoki which is nice if you want a completionist version.

I'm iffy how I feel about VNs moving to PS4 since I don't want to re-buy another one and I already own a vita...

FWIW: Aksys localization is a mess but what can fans do :sigh:

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

If you've got a Vita, Sweet Fuse (PSP) is extremely worth playing, and has the best protagonist of any otome. (Yelling at the men is very satisfying. It's refreshing not to be a doormat for once. Seriously, if you like otome, this is excellent.)

I liked Norn9, though a lot of that is because I liked the music. The variety of branching paths was fun.

I'm still irritated that the Hakuoki re-re-re-release is split in two for Vita. With no idea how the second half starts, or whether having both would allow me to do a full playthrough of one path, I don't want to bother with the first half. I have too many versions of this game as it is.

Code Realize was good, hope the sequel doesn't suck.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fru Fru posted:

I love otome games even though most of them are very problematic.

May I ask in what way? The female PC being weak or stereotypical or something?

I was struggling abit with that during Hakuoki. At the same time, Chizuru is such a self-insert and there's nothing exactly wrong with fantasizing about being a helpless damsel or dude waiting for their handsome white knight (or samurai) to swoop in and save them.

That was my rationale anyway but it still kinda bugged me at times.

quote:

The PS4 Code Realize is just part 1 and 2 stuck together one one disc, so if you already played Vita part 1, you can just get Vita part 2 which is called Future Blessings. I also liked Code Realize and can't wait to romance Herlock Sholmes.

Oh, awesome. I'll look into that next month then. Thanks.

Alder posted:

I love otome games :3:

I'm hyped for the C:R FD which will be out a few months. I liked C:R>Norn9>Amnesia>CollarxMalice. Also some indie VN on PC if you don't mind the lack of portability like Nightshade along w/the ocean of ported mobage on steam. I have a lot of feelings w/anime BFs.

This will probably be the last remake of Hakuoki which is nice if you want a completionist version.

I'm iffy how I feel about VNs moving to PS4 since I don't want to re-buy another one and I already own a vita...

FWIW: Aksys localization is a mess but what can fans do :sigh:

I guess I'll be getting Code Realize. It sounded interesting and people here seem to like it.

Thank you all for the info.

edit:
Uh-oh,. PSN says Code: Realize has touchscreen, too. Does that mean it's required or just an option? I only have a PSTV, not a real Vita.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 20, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

NikkolasKing posted:

Uh-oh,. PSN says Code: Realize has touchscreen, too. Does that mean it's required or just an option? I only have a PSTV, not a real Vita.

You can use the touchscreen to advance the text. I don't remember ever using it and a site I checked claims the game is PSTV compatible.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

May I ask in what way? The female PC being weak or stereotypical or something?

Well, it is frustrating when protagonists with legit superpowers (as in Hakuoki and Code: Realize, among others) act helpless. But the most problematic thing about otome games is how there's often at least one That Guy who is some flavor of straight-up villain. (Even Sweet Fuse is no exception.)

It's just never gonna end well when he puts you in a cage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Asperity posted:

Well, it is frustrating when protagonists with legit superpowers (as in Hakuoki and Code: Realize, among others) act helpless. But the most problematic thing about otome games is how there's often at least one That Guy who is some flavor of straight-up villain. (Even Sweet Fuse is no exception.)

Well, one benefit these games have is choice. Like, Kazama in Hakuoki is the goddam worst. The routes I did do, he was the one trying to kill my boyfriends so gently caress that guy. But at the same time, I'm not against somebody else choosing to romance him. He wasn't forced on me or anything so I don't feel like the game is pushing some pro-rapist agenda.

But Hakuoki is the only otome game I've ever played so I have a lot to learn.

grand theft grotto posted:

You can use the touchscreen to advance the text. I don't remember ever using it and a site I checked claims the game is PSTV compatible.

Cool. Definitely gonna get this then.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Asperity posted:

If you've got a Vita, Sweet Fuse (PSP) is extremely worth playing, and has the best protagonist of any otome. (Yelling at the men is very satisfying. It's refreshing not to be a doormat for once. Seriously, if you like otome, this is excellent.)

very much seconded, with the caveat that you have to play through the routes in a specific order if you want the metaplot to make sense dramatically (i.e. a revelation that's treated as one of the Big Moments in one guy's route is a footnote elsewhere)

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 20, 2018

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Asperity posted:

Yeah pretty much this. I know you don't have to play every storyline (unless you are me and want to 100% everything) but sometimes you don't know you are on that guy's path until you are locked in a cage.

Also wasn't there some poll where that guy came out as the fan favorite? Because he did it for your own good because true love...yuck.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I got the evil guy my first play through of sweet fuse which annoyed me. He sucks I dunno how I even got him

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I always refer to a guide for VNs b/c :effort:

The one terrible part is when the final route is unlocked under other routes and I have to climb over all of them. Ik it makes sense from a story-telling POV but still.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

I got the evil guy my first play through of sweet fuse which annoyed me. He sucks I dunno how I even got him

the evil guy's supposed to be locked until you complete at least one route so something probably went wrong there but yeah he is absolutely the worst part of the game

unless you mean the other evil guy but he wasn't that bad imo, at least compared to the other low points of the genre

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh that's right, I DID try to play Umineko years ago. The horrible MS Paint art drove me away from it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bit of a random question but is voice-acting rare in otome VNs? I feel I might have been spoiled by starting with Hakuoki in a lot of ways and one way was how everything was voice-acted.

I think I remember seeing Amnesia saying there were specific voiced parts but it looks like Code Realize has no voice-acting? I was just looking at the character pages on Aksys and saw no listed voices which is what brought me here.

It was kinda nice hearing Japanese voices in Hakuoki. I only watch dubs in anime because of necessity so a VN, where the text isn't constantly going by and there isn't much action, is a great way for me to actually enjoy some Japanese voicework.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 21, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

NikkolasKing posted:

Bit of a random question but is voice-acting rare in otome VNs? I feel I might have been spoiled by starting with Hakuoki in a lot of ways and one way was how everything was voice-acted.

I think I remember seeing Amnesia saying there were specific voiced parts but it looks like Code Realize has no voice-acting? I was just looking at the character pages on Aksys and saw no listed voices which is what brought me here.

It was kinda nice hearing Japanese voices in Hakuoki. I only watch dubs in anime because of necessity so a VN, where the text isn't constantly going by and there isn't much action, is a great way for me to actually enjoy some Japanese voicework.

Code;Realize has voice acting provided my memory is not super wrong.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

C:R has VA except for Cardia. Most VNs will have VA since it's one of the main selling points and I get sleepy if it's silent.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Most professional VNs will voice everyone except the protagonist.

It's much rarer for indie-level VNs, whether they originate in Japan or elsewhere.

Japanese otome VNs have the advantage that they are rarely 18+, which means that they can get properly famous voice actors to do the work without having to hide them under a pseudonym. So they often have some sexy-voiced guy as a selling point.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/967167835154903040

SOON

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"33% translated"

Yeah, I dunno man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009