Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I miss jailbreaking in a way but the time of that being a thing outside of :filez: and niche uses has largely come and gone.

plus I finally have the built-in gesture control with the X so

But lest we forget we used to have to jailbreak for such features as tethering and reorganizing the app location on your home screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jailbreaking would still be worth it to fix the mess of a lock screen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rick posted:

John Titor announces his return to the world in this very iphone thread to get his Norry podcasts onto his phone.

Wow, I forgot all about that time travel stuff. Dang.

Also, my 8+ hangs at least a couple times a day doing random stuff. Lots of hangs in Instagram and Pokemon Go.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is there a way to reset Apple Music’s recommendations? It keeps recommending me French pop music and singer/songwriter stuff and I have never listened to or loved anything in either genre. I keep disliking the playlists and albums it is recommending but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is there a way to reset Apple Music’s recommendations? It keeps recommending me French pop music and singer/songwriter stuff and I have never listened to or loved anything in either genre. I keep disliking the playlists and albums it is recommending but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

In the music app, go to the “for you” tab, tap your profile pic in the corner, go to “view account” at the bottom and then “Choose Artists For You.”

There’s a reset button there that may work.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rubiks Pubes posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204842

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

I've done something stupid and messed up my photos and I'm not sure how to sort it.

Basically, I kept getting "error downloading photo from iCloud" whenever I tried to edit photos, googling that seemed to suggest logging in and out of iCloud might fix it. So I did that and now all my photos since September 2017 are gone from my phone but are still on iCloud. iCloud Photo Library is now turned off on my phone but I can't turn it on as I now don't have enough iCloud storage (it's roughly half a backup and half photos).

How do I fix this so I get those photos back on my phone? I am wary of syncing things in case it decides to delete all those photos from September to now off iCloud instead of bringing them back to my phone (I will download them from iCloud now just in case anyway).

Edit: Cool it looks like I have to ctrl+click on every single photo I want to save, that's helpful!

poshphil fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 17, 2018

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, my 8+ hangs at least a couple times a day doing random stuff. Lots of hangs in Instagram and Pokemon Go.

It seems that iOS 11 only works smoothly on the X, almost like everything else was an afterthought. Hopefully this will change soon now that the 8 and 8+ have apparently outsold the X... which is still weird to me since I see the X everywhere, but that could be confirmation bias and because it's so easy to spot. I know little skips and hangs and stuff is the epitome of first world problems, but still, it's a $700+ brand new flagship. I almost... almost took it back and got a Pixel 2... but decided I'd still rather deal with hangs than Android.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You probs wouldn't notice the 8/+ because it looks the same as the previous 3 phones

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You probs wouldn't notice the 8/+ because it looks the same as the previous 3 phones

Especially if it's in a case, literally the only way to tell if it's a 6S or 7/8 is the camera cutout, and I don't even know how you'd tell the 7S/8 apart if it's in a case. I guess if it's sitting on a wireless charger?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I've found the iPhone 8+ to be super smooth when it's not reboot looping on me (which I think might have been because of that Indian character glitch) but I've only had it for 4 days. Maybe with more use I'll see some of those issues. As someone who's been with Android for a few years, iOS is waaaaay better nowadays. I echo the earlier posters who were saying that most people who used to jailbreak don't need to now because they added most of the features people wanted, except substitute jailbreak for switching to Android. I was really upset back in the day with the limitations of the 5S, many of which were iOS-centric, but so many things have improved by several levels of magnitude.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My 8 is super smooth and hasn’t had a single issue.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BottleKnight posted:

I've found the iPhone 8+ to be super smooth when it's not reboot looping on me (which I think might have been because of that Indian character glitch) but I've only had it for 4 days. Maybe with more use I'll see some of those issues. As someone who's been with Android for a few years, iOS is waaaaay better nowadays. I echo the earlier posters who were saying that most people who used to jailbreak don't need to now because they added most of the features people wanted, except substitute jailbreak for switching to Android. I was really upset back in the day with the limitations of the 5S, many of which were iOS-centric, but so many things have improved by several levels of magnitude.

Something really, really needs to be done about iOS notifications though

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I miss jailbreaking in a way but the time of that being a thing outside of :filez: and niche uses has largely come and gone.

plus I finally have the built-in gesture control with the X so

But lest we forget we used to have to jailbreak for such features as tethering and reorganizing the app location on your home screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAnOWAuNa0

bobfather fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 18, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BottleKnight posted:

It also helps that the 8+ has 3 GB of RAM to work with. The 5S has only 1 GB of RAM, but the only reason it's iOS 11 compatible is that it was also the very first 64-bit iOS device.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

dissss posted:

Something really, really needs to be done about iOS notifications though

oh god yes. I don't hate iOS notifications as much as I did back in 2014 or whenever, but android is just kicking their rear end in this department. swiping away notifications and interacting with them in-line is my most missed android thing.

it's really the only place of the operating system that i actually care about where google is winning these days.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

BottleKnight posted:

oh god yes. I don't hate iOS notifications as much as I did back in 2014 or whenever, but android is just kicking their rear end in this department. swiping away notifications and interacting with them in-line is my most missed android thing.

it's really the only place of the operating system that i actually care about where google is winning these days.

Android notifications from five years ago work better than current day iphone notifications.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

It seems that iOS 11 only works smoothly on the X, almost like everything else was an afterthought. Hopefully this will change soon now that the 8 and 8+ have apparently outsold the X... which is still weird to me since I see the X everywhere, but that could be confirmation bias and because it's so easy to spot. I know little skips and hangs and stuff is the epitome of first world problems, but still, it's a $700+ brand new flagship. I almost... almost took it back and got a Pixel 2... but decided I'd still rather deal with hangs than Android.

I haven’t found this to be the case. I’ve had an 8+ since launch and not had any issues. I don’t know why it’d differ significantly from the X given the guts are the same?

I think in general iOS 11 is buggy and people are experiencing shittiness across devices in various ways - as opposed to one device SKU behaving better than another.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

BottleKnight posted:

What does android have here that ios doesn't? I swipe away/force press mine all the time. What am I missing out on?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

hey girl you up posted:

What does android have here that ios doesn't? I swipe away/force press mine all the time. What am I missing out on?

When you swipe away an android notification it goes away. You don't have to hit another button.

Also, you can interact with notifications in-line to do context-specific things. I can like a tweet without entering the Twitter app.

Also, if I find a notification is spammy, I can just hold down on the notification and am immediately taken to the notification settings for that app, where I can block all notifications, which saves me about 30 seconds of flipping to that menu manually.

I don't know, instead of finding myself getting rid of the notifications all throughout the day and keeping my lock screen clean, with iOS it always clutters up and it's a pain to get them to go away since I have to swipe and tap and it takes twice as long. It's a first world problem for sure, and honestly it's not that bad, but it's definitely a lot worse.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

BottleKnight posted:

When you swipe away an android notification it goes away. You don't have to hit another button.

Also, you can interact with notifications in-line to do context-specific things. I can like a tweet without entering the Twitter app.

Also, if I find a notification is spammy, I can just hold down on the notification and am immediately taken to the notification settings for that app, where I can block all notifications, which saves me about 30 seconds of flipping to that menu manually.

I don't know, instead of finding myself getting rid of the notifications all throughout the day and keeping my lock screen clean, with iOS it always clutters up and it's a pain to get them to go away since I have to swipe and tap and it takes twice as long. It's a first world problem for sure, and honestly it's not that bad, but it's definitely a lot worse.

With iOS you can swipe up on the notification alert that appears while using the phone to make it go away immediately, or swipe down to interact with it (respond to text messages, like a comment, etc)

For lock-screen notifications, you can force-press (or long-press if your device doesn’t have 3D Touch) to interact with notifications, or clear all notifications by force pressing the x (you need to be unlocked and on the notification screen vs the lock screen I think to do this).

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Anyone here with an iPhone X that is willing to help me out? I just need someone in the US to screenshot a certain google search results page to make sure that my company's ads are working on an iPhone X. I only have access to pre-X phones so I can't test myself and really trying to save myself to run to the nearest apple store.

Please PM me it will seriously only take 2 minutes.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 18, 2018

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

Anyone here with an iPhone X that is willing to help me out? I just need someone in the US to screenshot a certain google search results page to make sure that my company's ads are working on an iPhone X. I only have access to pre-X phones so I can't test myself and really trying to save myself to run to the nearest apple store.

pm'd

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Enigma89 posted:

I take it you don’t have a Mac with Xcode available? There’s an iPhone X simulator you could use.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I backed up and restore my dad's iphone 5c to 6+. Everything went fine except he can't send text messages. Gets a Not Delivered notice. Tried restarting phone, airplane mode off/on.
He can receive texts though. Any idea what else I can try?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I hate about iOS notifications is that for whatever reason, you still can't change the default alert tone per app, so unless that app has it's own designated alert tone, iOS will play the default tri-tone alert and you don't know which app is alerting you. Also when someone else nearby gets a tri-tone alert you end up second-guessing if it was your phone or not. Luckily the apps are getting better about including their own alert tone.

Dick Nipples posted:

I haven’t found this to be the case. I’ve had an 8+ since launch and not had any issues. I don’t know why it’d differ significantly from the X given the guts are the same?

I think in general iOS 11 is buggy and people are experiencing shittiness across devices in various ways - as opposed to one device SKU behaving better than another.

I'm curious, would the internal model have any effect on performance and be a possible reason why iOS 11 is smooth for some and choppy for others? If you get an unlocked or Verizon iPhone, it has a Qualcomm modem that can handle both CDMA and GSM networks. If you get an AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone, it has an Intel modem that is GSM only. I have the unlocked/Verizon iPhone 8 and am using AT&T. (A1863). I know that Apple has released two versions of each iPhone since I believe the 5.

Also I just learned that you can find out which model you have by going go Settings > General > About > and tap Model, since it is no longer printed on the back of the phone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

iLikeMidgets posted:

I backed up and restore my dad's iphone 5c to 6+. Everything went fine except he can't send text messages. Gets a Not Delivered notice. Tried restarting phone, airplane mode off/on.
He can receive texts though. Any idea what else I can try?

Hmm... Check Settings > Messages, and make sure "iMessage" and "Send as SMS" are enabled.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

fordan posted:

With iOS you can swipe up on the notification alert that appears while using the phone to make it go away immediately, or swipe down to interact with it (respond to text messages, like a comment, etc)

For lock-screen notifications, you can force-press (or long-press if your device doesn’t have 3D Touch) to interact with notifications, or clear all notifications by force pressing the x (you need to be unlocked and on the notification screen vs the lock screen I think to do this).

The bigger problem is that the notification screen just plain doesn't work a lot of the time. Whether it's not displaying things (my favourite is when it says there's nothing but if you scroll up they appear from nowhere), randomly bringing some back from the past, putting the X button randomly halfway down (which may or may not clear the notifications above it) or anything else, it's just unpolished and broken. Android has had the pane working consistently and accurately for years.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

fordan posted:

That's not even close to the amount of interactivity that Android notifications have. I can easily mute an app for an interval if I want, they're offered more flexibility in terms of actual notification interaction, granularity in terms of how intrusive the notification is without removing any interactivity, etc. I like iOS plenty, but this is not a case of iOS users not knowing all the tricks; Android straight up allows more, better, and meaningful interactions with notifications that iOS doesn't.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Honestly unless it’s a message or when I first look at my phone in the morning I barely interact with the notification shade. I periodically clear any leftovers but normally I check on things via the little red bubbles on my home screen. Anything I don’t give a poo poo about is on my second page anyway.

Edit: of course, if the notification shade were better I’d interact with things though it more. Last android device I used was on L and even then notifications were better. Androids shade was just something you actively used more vs iOS’ approach.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

iajanus posted:

The bigger problem is that the notification screen just plain doesn't work a lot of the time. Whether it's not displaying things (my favourite is when it says there's nothing but if you scroll up they appear from nowhere), randomly bringing some back from the past, putting the X button randomly halfway down (which may or may not clear the notifications above it) or anything else, it's just unpolished and broken. Android has had the pane working consistently and accurately for years.

That last example bugs the poo poo out of me. The first day I had my phone I clicked an x button next to “earlier today” and it got rid of every single notification. I was just incredulous.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I only notice notifications for like, messages, emails, reminders and calendar events. Even then it’s just when they’re on the lock screen that I care. Everything else is through app badges and I only let like eight apps have badges. I think I just never changed how I use my phone since like the 4S and all this notification pane talk makes me feel very old. :(

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How does Android handle combining notifications?

What I mean is a few people I know, like my mom for example, have this weird texting pattern where they just send like 10 text messages just to say one thing. For example I just woke up to something like this:

Mom: Hey (son) good morning
Mom: How are you?
Mom: Grandma called yesterday
Mom: She asked about you
Mom: She heard you went to (place) last week
Mom: You should send her a postcard
Mom: Anyway ...
... 10 more text messages ..
Mom: Okay bye talk to you later

Each one of those was one single text message and they make my notification screen completely unusable because it just takes up all the space. Call it a user issue if you want but no amount of explaining to my mom that she can write full thought out paragraphs in one text message is going to change her habits.

Would Android be smart enough to combine these notifications into one single one in this example?

e: Not that I’d switch to Android just for this feature but were talking about how behind iOS is and this would be a use case where I’d clearly see Android was superior, if it can do that.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 19, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yes it'd combine them.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Each one of those was one single text message and they make my notification screen completely unusable because it just takes up all the space. Call it a user issue if you want but no amount of explaining to my mom that she can write full thought out paragraphs in one text message is going to change her habits.

Would Android be smart enough to combine these notifications into one single one in this example?

Yeah, that's maybe my biggest peeve for how iOS handles notifications. The way Android handles it is that it'll have, essentially, one notification for all of your messages that'll allow you to open the app or dismiss the whole batch, then you'd be able to expand that notification to see the individual notifications. From there, you could expand each notification individually to interact (ie. reply, mark as read, dismiss, etc.).

I definitely don't wanna start a slapfight over Android vs iOS, but the way iOS handles notifications is such a pet peeve of mine, and with iOS 11 essentially moving notifications to the backburner by essentially burying them further, it seems like Apple is content to just slap a BandAid on it rather than fix the issues.
It's one of those things where I don't think I really noticed how annoying it was until I had the ability to do meaningful things from notifications that showed me they actually have a lot of potential use outside of being, largely, shortcuts to open apps that want your attention.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have an iPhone mounted to my face at all times so I don’t need notifications, I get them streamed into my retinas constantly, live and in real time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's gonna be the future. Apple are gonna make glasses like google glass and it'll be game over.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I have an iPhone mounted to my face at all times so I don’t need notifications, I get them streamed into my retinas constantly, live and in real time.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s really great is that if you have more than 3 notifications from the same app, it will collapse them down to 1 and then you can outwardly pinch that notification to reveal all of them. Then you can swipe them away one by one or just close it and swipe away the whole group. This happened a lot with Twitter where I might get 5 tweets popping up but it wouldn’t gunk up my lock screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Am I going crazy or did like iOS 9 used to do that as well?