Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

The reason for the raise wasn't features, but "value". That's the most hilarious thing. In regards to development, it's as frozen as ever, nothing really happens.

I dunno, I definitely get $7/month worth of value out of it. Maybe if you are more techy or have a really tight spreadsheet game you wouldn't, but it's really helped me get in control of (and stay in control of!) my finances. I'm happy to pay that for a slick interface, the mobile app and bank syncing.

Put another way, I save far more than $7/month with YNAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe so, but they had a certain price for two years, and now they raised it without adding any new features to it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe so, but they had a certain price for two years, and now they raised it without adding any new features to it.

They did add the new app, which I like quite a bit but still isn't enough on its own. I'd gladly purchase it standalone if that was an option but will not subscribe to nYNAB just to get it.

Here's my take on it: I use YNAB4 because it's been wonderful despite the lack of updates or support. I don't need this as a service, it's a product that I purchased because I liked how it works. If I had upgraded back when nYNAB came out then the period from then to now would have cost me what... $100 at least? All I'd have to show for it is the ability to tweak my budget on the go but would be in exactly the same position otherwise. It's just not worth it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
After paying for YNAB and understanding how it works I'll definitely using a spreadsheet next year. Even someone with basic Excel skills can make a working alternative as long as you dont care about half broken direct import.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah it started off as a spreadsheet in ynab 1 and 2

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Teeter posted:

They did add the new app, which I like quite a bit but still isn't enough on its own. I'd gladly purchase it standalone if that was an option but will not subscribe to nYNAB just to get it.

Here's my take on it: I use YNAB4 because it's been wonderful despite the lack of updates or support. I don't need this as a service, it's a product that I purchased because I liked how it works. If I had upgraded back when nYNAB came out then the period from then to now would have cost me what... $100 at least? All I'd have to show for it is the ability to tweak my budget on the go but would be in exactly the same position otherwise. It's just not worth it.

Fair enough. YNAB is a different type of product than other subscriptions, such as Netflix (new content) or Amazon prime (perks), so I can see not wanting to pay for it under the same kind of model. But, for me personally, if it takes $7/mo to keep the lights on at the YNAB factory, then I am currently okay to pay that. I'm getting more out of it than Netflix anyway...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Someone made a basic clone of ynab in google sheets if you really want to go the homebrew route.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YoCdnXvYlzTUxoF91jrEsvAK5FVexeqUheUHBfZ_36Y/edit#gid=0

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Harminoff posted:

Someone made a basic clone of ynab in google sheets if you really want to go the homebrew route.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YoCdnXvYlzTUxoF91jrEsvAK5FVexeqUheUHBfZ_36Y/edit#gid=0

Saving this for when YNAB4 eventually dies.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

It says that file is in the trash, is there a newer version?

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
A couple years ago, I gave a stab at the app (whenever they released it on steam). I liked it, but got lazy. Later on, they started their subscription model and people bitched because it was lacking features.

It’s probably asked all the time, but is it worth it now? Are there other apps that do it better now? One of my downfalls with ynab in the past was not syncing with my bank account. I’m not unwilling to do manual entry, but I’d prefer if it was more automated.

My current method of dealing with money is, “do I have enough? Then buy stuff”

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Use the trial and check if direct import works right for you. If it does, is it worth $84? If it doesn't, go with the spreadsheet that was just posted.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Defenestration posted:

Hmm I found it on the ynab sub Reddit but can't find the post. Hopefully he is just getting it updated and will post an update.

I didn't save a copy but it someone else did maybe they can reshare it?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 23, 2018

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm still using the copy I got on steam. It's been really helpful to me, and I'll be sad when it finally dies.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I get why auto-import is bad now. I bank at a credit union so my debit card doesn't import but my credit card does.
Because past me was awful at money I have a balance near my credit limit and one transaction didn't import and it put me over said limit, but YNAB did not reflect this. Then the statement closed and I got smashed with a $35 over limit fee. Took me an inordinate of time to reconcile. Hopefully I can beg my credit card company to cut me some slack.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, I'm using YNAB4. My wife and I have separate budget files. I put everything in on the spot. She usually waits 2 weeks and bulk puts all her transactions in. Almost every time she gets done entering a shitload of transactions on her phone, she gets the "the desktop signaled a change" bullshit error and it wipes out everything she just did. This never happens to me. What the gently caress is happening?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Defenestration posted:

Not sure, but you can always just make a copy of it. Here's a link to my copy if you don't like the "in the trash" error.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

listrada posted:

I dunno, I definitely get $7/month worth of value out of it. Maybe if you are more techy or have a really tight spreadsheet game you wouldn't, but it's really helped me get in control of (and stay in control of!) my finances. I'm happy to pay that for a slick interface, the mobile app and bank syncing.

Put another way, I save far more than $7/month with YNAB.

Yeah. The value of the online version is there. Especially because most of the competitor's business models (mint mostly) are integrated with data harvesting and targeted marketing that bothers the hell out of me.

I would say though that the stalled development and feature additions are a large drag. If financier ever builds out a transaction sync function I'd strongly consider switching though.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Deleted my nYNAB sub today. Direct Import was just way too flakey for me, which kind of defeats the whole purpose. My finances are largely stable and I was kind of sick of manually importing stuff into YNAB4. It was made somewhat easier by just exporting transactions from my banks, but seemingly none of them ever got their CSVs right and they required janitoring, or there were limitations on how you were able to download them.

Without direct import nYNAB is just straight up, unequivocally worse than YNAB4. There is just so much missing from it that seems so obvious, and so easy to implement, that it's really head scratching. From big things like basic reports, to a myriad of small quality of life stuff like being able to add and subtract from amounts on the fly, quick budget a whole month, etc. If i'm going to be manually importing poo poo anyway, why not do it in the version that makes it drastically easier?

Hell, I didn't even mind how it handled credit cards.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nothing's really happening anymore visibly, after the last "large" feature addition, that is reports, which was really just getting feature complete. Somewhat, anyway. That one took already way too long as it was, and it happened already way too long ago. And then they suddenly have the gall to raise the subscription fee solely because they suddenly figured the price didn't reflect the value of the product. The last thing I heard was that they wanted to overhaul the To Be Budgeted thing, and that was also already three months ago or so (I'm assuming it's been planned for longer than that). There's like 50 people working there, how much of them are developers anyway, if nothing goes forward in a reasonable time?

Too bad that Budgetwise thing isn't proceeding as fast as I hoped. Last I heard that one starts early access in late spring and intends to go public in fall. Assuming it'll be worth a drat, anyway.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
a small part of why I stopped doing budgets for people is because YNAB was excellent, but I’ve had a lot of former clients come back to me since the next one came out last year or whenever.

Short of paying a developer to finish the app I ran out of money getting developed a few years ago is there a good alternate I can suggest that people?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
How do you get YNAB4 to run on it's own without Steam being open if it was bought on Steam? I know there's a way, but I can't seem to remember/figure it out.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

BAE OF PIGS posted:

How do you get YNAB4 to run on it's own without Steam being open if it was bought on Steam? I know there's a way, but I can't seem to remember/figure it out.

IIRC, you can copy the serial number of your copy from the About screen (found from the help menu). You can then download the 'classic' YNAB4 installer - buried in a Google search, I think, but still online - and use your Steam copy's key to activate it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

spincube posted:

IIRC, you can copy the serial number of your copy from the About screen (found from the help menu). You can then download the 'classic' YNAB4 installer - buried in a Google search, I think, but still online - and use your Steam copy's key to activate it.

I think this is right- this sounds like what I did years ago and was happy to find I could because I don't use Steam for anything else.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

spincube posted:

It's not that hidden - https://classic.youneedabudget.com/ has direct links to the downloads. Apart from opening it in Steam at least once beforehand, there shouldn't be any issues.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Awesome, thanks guys!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
my desktop app (classic) isn't syncing with my phone :ohdear:

I can see the files syncing in dropbox but it doesn't show transactions I know are there.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Remove the budget from the phone and re-add?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
Fixed itself overnight. must have been a dropbox thing, whew

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just FYI, we had some sort of corruption happen to our ynab4 budget about a year ago where it didn't sync anymore and we had lost like 30 days worth of entries. They gave us really good email support, looking at our files and going back and forth for 7-8 days so they will still help you out if you or anybody else has serious issues.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just started a YNAB demo and while it connects to my bank, it can't see any accounts. It says the financial institution is connected, and it says 0/0 accounts are connected. I'm fairly certain I have more than 0 accounts. Is this fixable, or is it nYNAB sucking like I hear it does?

The bank I'm using is a credit union, but it came up in the list when I started typing the name so I would think it should work.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started a YNAB demo and while it connects to my bank, it can't see any accounts. It says the financial institution is connected, and it says 0/0 accounts are connected. I'm fairly certain I have more than 0 accounts. Is this fixable, or is it nYNAB sucking like I hear it does?

The bank I'm using is a credit union, but it came up in the list when I started typing the name so I would think it should work.

My boyfriend had the same issue and it resolved itself in a few days. Just had to disconnect/reconnect his credit union a bunch. Email the support folks - it's deffo a problem on ynab's end.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I have YNAB 4, and I just started nYNAB 3 month trail about a month ago. For the first time in a LONG time, I am taking it seriously and updating it everyday.
I am so-so on the nYNAB. I am not sure if it is worth 104 bucks (CND) a year. I am more of an YNAB 4 person, but not using dropbox to access to budget on my phone is great.

Anyway, I promised myself to stick to AN YNAB for 3 months. So I will see what happens in the future.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I can't wait to get paid tomorrow so I can allocate the money towards May's budget!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My wife and I are on YNAB4. I'm the one who enters amounts and poo poo right after I'm done at the store register, because the GPS tagging makes things super easy. My wife, on the other hand, will go back and enter her transactions like every 2-3 weeks, so her budget is never up to date.

Coupling that with the fact that she is always getting Dropbox errors which make her re-sync her (and lose all her progress) stuff for who the gently caress knows what reason (most likely entering 200 transactions at once since I never see these issues), I'm slowly starting to think how much easier it would be (for her) to have automatic importing. Please talk me out of spending real money on nYNAB every month.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Its useful and helpful, don't believe the bullshit about how automatic import is a bad thing. You still have to manually approve each transaction.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I just import manually. It works just as well and if you spend the time setting up auto-categorizing and renaming it's basically painless.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

I just import manually. It works just as well and if you spend the time setting up auto-categorizing and renaming it's basically painless.

Yeah but his wife isn't doing it in a timely fashion so that cramps the style

I use 4 and manually reconcile once a week. I remember to put maybe 25% of transactions but I always do the cash ones

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Defenestration posted:

Yeah but his wife isn't doing it in a timely fashion so that cramps the style

I use 4 and manually reconcile once a week. I remember to put maybe 25% of transactions but I always do the cash ones

This is pretty much me, I always do cash so I don't forget but if I don't immediately do a receipt or two it snowballs until the weekend when I fix it then.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
got a facebook memory today that reminds me why I quit mint. Mint sent an alert that my rent check was "unusual spending on software or electronics" (I've had the same landlord for almost 10 years now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ughhh, probably 8 out of every 10 times I open YNAB4 on my iPhone 8+, it makes the phone completely unresponsive and I have to end up rebooting to get it to actually open without issue. I have like 5 years of budget history in it, so no clue if that has anything to do with it, but it just started happening within this past month. I swear this poo poo, along with my previously-mentioned desktop triggering a sync change or whatever, is slowly grinding me to the inevitable decision to convert to nYNAB.

e: Why the hell can't I find an official list of banks that nYNAB supports for auto-importing?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 4, 2018