Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

atomicthumbs posted:

Who will arrive in about five minutes, having fed Hrotomos to the Door

*having fed the Door to Hrotomos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

1 is having to console Mammon because watching someone else make the same major fuckup he did is very distressing for him

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
so who was cc with the first time she did this? "who" is probably plural in this case, given she would have had to throw someone to the door

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh poo poo Mammon/Virgin Mariesque will probably remember Yabalchoath dang

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

suddenly Mammon springs to his feet.

"We shall have ICE CREAM!" he cries.

And it was the best ice cream because it was shared between friends.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Yep. Ingsvld is still presumably marching along with what Auntie Maya so appropriately termed the "parade of fools" chasing Allison.

Ohh yeah, the fanfic book isn't named is it? Or living/a mimic/able to roll its eye at Cio's cornier writing.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I now want the fanfic book to be a mimic

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Good ol' betrayin' Cio, shown here reverting to type
I mean, going by the art, she was only stopped from murdering someone she had convinced herself she cared about in a devilish rage, apparently not for the first time, by the thickness of a few chapters... or perhaps more accurately, by Cio Ciocelle's unwillingness to submit her work to an editor. So it might be a bit early to crow about her overcoming her hungry and violent nature. Cio is certainly more conflicted and sympathetic a devil than Oskar, but she can never stop being a devil. Yab is part of her and always will be (ready to stab anyone Cio desires revenge against.)

In the world background, Abbadon has pretty strongly implied that angels and devils are not like mortals. They are not a product of their societies and socialization, but their nature. White Chain's telling a single lie with the best of intentions still disrupted her physical form. She can apparently be a woman among brothers, because that's not against the rules, but breaking the Old Law would literally destroy her. Abbadon states pretty clearly here that the Law is as core a part of the angels as their individual identity. For devils, their identity and individuality is entirely artificial: they are all the hot black flame, with the veneer of a face and voice tacked on. Again, Abbadon has pretty strongly alluded to this, and it matches with Himself's apparent contradictions.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 18, 2018

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Himself's mask is his cage, isn't it?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm not really sure the concept applies, since it I'm 99% sure that any distinction between Himself and the Hot Black Flame is artificial. That's his deal: he recognized that the personality and individuality imposed by a mask was fake, that devils are all limbs of the same great beast, and somehow kept His mind intact.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not really sure the concept applies, since it I'm 99% sure that any distinction between Himself and the Hot Black Flame is artificial. That's his deal: he recognized that the personality and individuality imposed by a mask was fake, that devils are all limbs of the same great beast, and somehow kept His mind intact.

Somehow like by locking it up?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I mean, going by the art, she was only stopped from murdering someone she had convinced herself she cared about in a devilish rage, apparently not for the first time, by the thickness of a few chapters... or perhaps more accurately, by Cio Ciocelle's unwillingness to submit her work to an editor. So it might be a bit early to crow about her overcoming her hungry and violent nature. Cio is certainly more conflicted and sympathetic a devil than Oskar, but she can never stop being a devil. Yab is part of her and always will be (ready to stab anyone Cio desires revenge against.)

In the world background, Abbadon has pretty strongly implied that angels and devils are not like mortals. They are not a product of their societies and socialization, but their nature. White Chain's telling a single lie with the best of intentions still disrupted her physical form. She can apparently be a woman among brothers, because that's not against the rules, but breaking the Old Law would literally destroy her. Abbadon states pretty clearly here that the Law is as core a part of the angels as their individual identity. For devils, their identity and individuality is entirely artificial: they are all the hot black flame, with the veneer of a face and voice tacked on. Again, Abbadon has pretty strongly alluded to this, and it matches with Himself's apparent contradictions.

Eh. I don't think you or anyone in the setting gives enough credit to a devil or their 'veneer of personality'

That whole idea is founded on the idea that a devil cannot actually resist their inherent lovely nature and therefore they are untrustworthy and awful which while based in truth is also a self fulfilling prophecy, you either embrace or resist it but the intrinsic assumption will always color the way others deal with you. If Allison wasn't so lovely to Cio and didn't put her in such a lovely position repeatedly and generally do her loving darnedest to draw out the Yab part which is what she needed to crack the vault with than weirdly enough I doubt she'd have gotten into a stabbin' mood.

Its like saying all humans are predisposed to violence because when I poke them with a stick for as long as possible they tend to get violent.

Like, the thickness of the book is a good visual metaphore. Cio has been Cio for ages, but only went Yab 2.0 for like half an hour in the most stressful situation of her life

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I just picked up King of Dragon Pass because this thread has raved about it and it's currently on sale. I have no idea what's going on, but a bunch of ducks just rounded up a possé and absolutely kicked my poo poo in.

Excellent.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

You hosed with the ducks.

You shouldn't'a done that.

Also, I'm glad Cio's back. I wonder if those orange shades will come back soon, too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Somehow like by locking it up?
His imprisonment is merely a formality.

Motherfucker posted:

That whole idea is founded on the idea that a devil cannot actually resist their inherent lovely nature and therefore they are untrustworthy and awful which while based in truth is also a self fulfilling prophecy, you either embrace or resist it but the intrinsic assumption will always color the way others deal with you. If Allison wasn't so lovely to Cio and didn't put her in such a lovely position repeatedly and generally do her loving darnedest to draw out the Yab part which is what she needed to crack the vault with than weirdly enough I doubt she'd have gotten into a stabbin' mood.

Its like saying all humans are predisposed to violence because when I poke them with a stick for as long as possible they tend to get violent.
Devils. Are. Not. People. Cio and Oskar and Vladok weren't socialized to consume human flesh and flame, it isn't a choice. They were born with that drive, it is as much a part of them as breathing air is to a person.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 18, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dead Reckoning posted:

Devils. Are. Not. People.

They're not human, you mean, they are certainly people.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're only temporarily people.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bongo Bill posted:

They're only temporarily people.

So are people.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I feel like the existence of Petal Knights makes it pretty clear that an angel can choose to forswear the Old Law and mutate into something new and different. Long live the new flesh!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speak for yourself!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Devils. Are. Not. People. Cio and Oskar and Vladok weren't socialized to devour human flesh and flame, it isn't a choice. They were born with that drive, it is as much a part of them as breathing air is to a person.

alright reading back you're right.

Still, there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism and every first world person you see in your day to day is borne by an invisible palanquin of the downtrodden. If you're saying devils are somehow intrinsically worse because they HAVE to eat people than that's like applauding a coke fiend because 'they COULD give it up at any time!'

Do you get it? I'm the devil's advocate.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Sounds like it’s time for an idiot to change the fundamental nature of devils then.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VanSandman posted:

Sounds like it’s time for an idiot to change the fundamental nature of devils then.

that or kill 6 billion of them

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Mankind is directly responsible for devils anyhow, it was us literally putting a human face on the black flame.

Look what you did, you took a perfectly healthy flame and gave it anxiety and greed. Bad humanity.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Devils. Are. Not. People. Cio and Oskar and Vladok weren't socialized to devour human flesh and flame, it isn't a choice. They were born with that drive, it is as much a part of them as breathing air is to a person.

they’re definitely people

e:

Tetracube posted:

that or kill 6 billion of them

are demons devils

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yes, the terms are synonymous. If one of them is a slur I don't know which one.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

shirts and skins posted:

Wait, my brain is still waking up. What does Cio mean by "again?"

The "...again?!" is probably because Yab is reverting back to Cio again. The latter of which seems to really not want to kill Allison, and won whatever weird internal struggle was going on.
Note that there's a change in her size across the three panels back to Cio height, even though the frame by far and large stays the same. You can even see her hair change from Yab's to Cio's. It's also why she starts to lose it in the second frame and breaks down completely and starts sobbing over (what she thinks is Allison's corpse) Allison by the third. Cio is the one freaking out and Yab is just "Aw, gently caress. Not this again.".

This whole set of pages kind of proves that devils in this setting aren't innately evil, I think. Unless there's some big twist it's just that they have to actually work at not being evil jackasses.

Edit: It fits with the chapter so far too. Internally struggling over your nature and the loss of control that can come with it is a big theme so far. Hell, Cio even said it earlier with the whole "You've been dealing with your own demons." thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 18, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Tuxedo Ted posted:

You hosed with the ducks.

You shouldn't'a done that.

I knew befriending the ducks was a good plan.

Never gently caress with waterfowl.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm really having a hard time imagining how someone can read this comic and come away thinking "yes, the take away here is that beings are slaves to their fundamental nature and true change is impossible".

The story about royalty, the terrible power of will, the act of cutting, and how a true King cuts themselves into new shapes.

That's a special kind of dense.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

As a fat person the idea that someone can change their fundamental nature is intrinsically dangerous to my world view and lifestyle and I cannot allow it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

I feel like the existence of Petal Knights makes it pretty clear that an angel can choose to forswear the Old Law and mutate into something new and different. Long live the new flesh!

I don't know if they're violating the Old Law, which is what Koss chiseled into them when he made them..

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Still, there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism and every first world person you see in your day to day is borne by an invisible palanquin of the downtrodden. If you're saying devils are somehow intrinsically worse because they HAVE to eat people than that's like applauding a coke fiend because 'they COULD give it up at any time!'
It's not really an applicable metaphor, because, despite what D&D might tell you, first world people are not in fact alien lizard creatures wearing skin masks. If you're talking to a devil in K6BD, there is a fundamental and indivisible part of that devil that is considering whether you are vulnerable enough for it to rip your face off and eat your soul.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm really having a hard time imagining how someone can read this comic and come away thinking "yes, the take away here is that beings are slaves to their fundamental nature and true change is impossible".

The story about royalty, the terrible power of will, the act of cutting, and how a true King cuts themselves into new shapes.

That's a special kind of dense.
Except for the part where the actual words that the author wrote down state that both devils and angels are constitutionally incapable of harnessing that terrible will to change, and that this static nature is part of the price they pay for immortality. In a similar way, the demiurges' desire to indefinitely extend their lives and power has rendered them static beings in their own ways, one of them being actually frozen inside a giant crystal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dead Reckoning posted:

Except for the part where the actual words that the author wrote down state that both devils and angels are constitutionally incapable of harnessing that terrible will to change, and that this static nature is part of the price they pay for immortality.

God is a liar. This is canon.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Schwarzwald posted:

God is a liar. This is canon.

But if it's the word of God that God is a liar, how can we trust it? :thunk:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's not really an applicable metaphor, because, despite what D&D might tell you, first world people are not in fact alien lizard creatures wearing skin masks. If you're talking to a devil in K6BD, there is a fundamental and indivisible part of that devil that is considering whether you are vulnerable enough for it to rip your face off and eat your soul.

Well now you're just crazy talking. :colbert:

Plus I dunno about you but if you've ever been forced to walk behind a slow rear end twenty something while they flail their limp wrists and honk out internet contractions in casual conversation with their shittily dressed friends and you havn't imagined biting their spinal column from behind and shaking them to death like a dog with a squeaky toy than I'm afraid we're living two different humanities.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dead Reckoning posted:

Devils. Are. Not. People. Cio and Oskar and Vladok weren't socialized to consume human flesh and flame, it isn't a choice. They were born with that drive, it is as much a part of them as breathing air is to a person.
You really don't get what I'm saying. Devils consuming flame isn't a choice, it's literally how they function: they will always desire the consumption, too, and that's as natural as a human getting hungry or thirsty.That wasn't in debate. What I'm actually arguing is that as much as the devils are all intrinsically the hot black flame, it doesn't mean their self-imposed personalities are unreal, unimportant, or not a factor. It's as much a factor as they let it be. And when they dissolve, the feelings and opinions and desires they built up don't just poof out of existence, it goes back into the hot black flame and can be pulled out afterwards.

I brought up White Chain's gender not because it's an example of her changing her intrinsic nature as an angel, but because it's an example of everyone's in-universe assumption about what the intrinsic nature of an angel is is wrong. Also, we don't really know enough about what the Law actually means. If it's something fundamental to angels, which I agree it is, it's still a broader concept than you're giving it credit for, since angels include a suuuper wide range from Juggernaut to Liminal Blossom. If angels can't break the Law, then both Liminal Blossom and Juggernaut are following the Law despite being extreme opposites.

I also got the impression that technically consuming human flesh IS a choice for devils, since it's 'just' an extremely efficient way for them to feed. They could technically try to avoid that while feeding in other ways, as Cio seems to. But the desire is going to be there because humans are devil-delicious. Considering human flames get snuffed out shortly after their body dies due to Aesma's big gently caress up, I'm sure a devil trying this empathy thing could even justify it to themselves as the flame otherwise going to waste. It's interesting!

That said, a theme of the comic is ALSO breaking ironclad laws of reality through the power of Royalty, so.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Basically devils are 'addicted' to consumption, although addicted is the wrong term I think, but applies in how increasing dosage spirals. What you seem to be arguing is that addicts don't truly have free will. This is upsetting.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Angels don't revert to flame when they die though. They seem to perfectly retain their personalities and thoughts in the ether and even if they are significantly weakened they can sleep for a few millennia and come back. The fact that they count their deaths shows that they always retain their self. Angels still seem to change though, White Chain was probably a lot more strict in previous lives and recently has started showing human traits and compassion and a willingness to bend the law when the situation calls for it.

So the law they have to obey could just be an attribute of their physical bodies that was put there to control them, order, if you will.

The Thorn Knights don't need to obey the law because their bodies aren't the same.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bongo Bill posted:

Yes, the terms are synonymous. If one of them is a slur I don't know which one.

The entire Blood War just got really mad at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Demiurge4 posted:

Angels don't revert to flame when they die though. They seem to perfectly retain their personalities and thoughts in the ether and even if they are significantly weakened they can sleep for a few millennia and come back. The fact that they count their deaths shows that they always retain their self. Angels still seem to change though, White Chain was probably a lot more strict in previous lives and recently has started showing human traits and compassion and a willingness to bend the law when the situation calls for it.

So the law they have to obey could just be an attribute of their physical bodies that was put there to control them, order, if you will.

The Thorn Knights don't need to obey the law because their bodies aren't the same.
Yeah when I said angelic immortality was a constant state of change I was referring to how they come out of the cocoon with their 'core self' intact but memories and poo poo hazy... like there's potential for change between one incarnation and another, as opposed to being ironclad. And the sense of self also seems to get dreamlike, since White Chain was iirc upset that Liminal Blossom would forget their (her? probably her) gender stuff upon resetting and Blossom was like 'gently caress that noise I'll learn again what I learned this time but don't bother getting reset for me since they're executing me anyway'.

So like, the gender thing is core, but the knowledge of it isn't...?