Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

V2 is so good, playing 1 again isnt as fun.

I think a big thing for me is that the combat has a more weighty feel to it and combat with anything that’s non chaff actually feels like a sword fight/brawl instead of chaff that takes two hits instead of one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Nurgle forces being slightly chunkier helps mix up combat. Ditto rats with shields, encourages you to pick out people and flank a bit more.

I really like the Beserker/Plague Monk mechanics too. Easy to deal with as a group, but really punishes people going off Solo as you spend most of your time blocking and can get overwhelmed easy.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Glad V2 seems to have turned out well. I haven't pre-ordered yet but idk why I was thinking this seems so soon after V1 but i looked it up and V1 dropped in 2015 god drat. What a game

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suspect the reason VT1 doesn't feel as old as it is is because every year or so there was another huge rebalancing patch that significantly improved the game and made it feel new again.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fans posted:

The Nurgle forces being slightly chunkier helps mix up combat. Ditto rats with shields, encourages you to pick out people and flank a bit more.

I really like the Beserker/Plague Monk mechanics too. Easy to deal with as a group, but really punishes people going off Solo as you spend most of your time blocking and can get overwhelmed easy.

There's a lot of things like that, I've found. Pretty straightforward to handle when everyone is fighting as 4 and vaguely kinda synergizing with each other, and a downright party wipe if you don't do those things. I have determined through science that full book runs on Hard are easier than no book runs on Normal just because playing well means nobody gets blooped by a special.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think I've found a winning solution to fixing Kerillian.

It's:
Delete the elf, replace with Skink.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mordja posted:

I think I've found a winning solution to fixing Kerillian.

It's:
Delete the elf, replace with Skink. a god drat mummy

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fans posted:

Shields on stormvermin and chaos warriors are serious headaches because they can’t be broken. I kinda feel like enemy shield bearers should be more vulnerable to melee pushes or something because as it stands it’s kinda guaranteed damage to someone if the shield bearer moves in with a couple other enemies.

Berserkers need to be signaled a lot better and they need to be made pushable or something - they too are practically guaranteed damage if you don’t see them coming a long way off (which is hard because they have very similar silhouettes to regular enemies) and on harder difficulties the damage is gut chilling.

Again I wanna stress that all my complaints about particulars aside I actually do like the basic thought that went into the game. The threats presented by shield bearers and berserkers are GREAT, but they’re all cudgels doing the jobs of scalpels right this second.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

How do I go about reporting bugs? Had a match where no one had any sound the.entire game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I am amenable to this compromise.

jerry seinfel posted:

How do I go about reporting bugs? Had a match where no one had any sound the.entire game
I don't know if it's true, but someone ingame told me the sound bug is related to the Bright Mage. :shrug:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Coolguye posted:

Shields on stormvermin and chaos warriors are serious headaches because they can’t be broken. I kinda feel like enemy shield bearers should be more vulnerable to melee pushes or something because as it stands it’s kinda guaranteed damage to someone if the shield bearer moves in with a couple other enemies.

With a shield you can just push them over and wack them dead. Its a few pushes but they just fall over.

Got an orange weapon last night, for a weapon I dont use alot. The new orange effects seem nice.

Quick play should also regard what character you want to play and not keep trying to make you join a game with your character already in it. You most likely cant switch to another character at lvl 1 and play hard.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 18, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

With a shield you can just push them over and wack them dead. Its a few pushes but they just fall over.
yeah you can do much the same thing with a great weapon strike which is where i got the basic idea. difference being if you're using a great weapon you hit the shieldbearer, your weapon gets stuck, and his buddies whack you - and only 2 out of the 5 characters have access to shields, so i kinda feel like a push with a great weapon should do the same thing to even the playing field a bit.

e: i should be clear. the way shieldbearers work right now is that they effectively have stamina the same way humans do. they'll block anything in a 180 degree arc in front of them and completely nullify the attack. when they run out of stamina they bowl over in an extravagant fashion. any time they're not blocking they will regenerate stamina - this includes when they're on the ground.

they seem to take a lot more stamina damage from pushes, and especially shield pushes, but this becomes a real problem with shieldbearer stormvermin, who have a huge amount of stamina and a ton of health to back it up. if you don't have a shield on your side and get them facing THEIR shields almost immediately, you're going to have a very bad time indeed.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 18, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Coolguye posted:

yeah you can do much the same thing with a great weapon strike which is where i got the basic idea. difference being if you're using a great weapon you hit the shieldbearer, your weapon gets stuck, and his buddies whack you - and only 2 out of the 5 characters have access to shields, so i kinda feel like a push with a great weapon should do the same thing to even the playing field a bit.

I was trying to test out if you can push things over with a 2 hander and one of the push increase talents(ironbreaker gets one, dont know if other tank careers do) but I think if you try to join a game with an orange item it crashes.

Joined a game without an orange item, equipped it and the game crashes. hahahaha

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 18, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tenzarin posted:

Quick play should also regard what character you want to play and not keep trying to make you join a game with your character already in it. You most likely cant switch to another character at lvl 1 and play hard.

I think it does, I've gotten into every game with my Bright Wizard or Soldier, pretty much the only time I get a game where I can't join is if I pick Elf, because every game already has someone playing the Elf.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Whenever the game keeps training me to a lobby where I have to switch characters it's because there's only one QP game open at that difficulty.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Btw how are load times on a hard disk drive? I think I'm gonna get an external one and total warhams really needs the load times

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Btw how are load times on a hard disk drive? I think I'm gonna get an external one and total warhams really needs the load times

Honestly I'm running an old fashion HDD and it runs fine. The game has some really good throttling on textures and such that helps reduce load.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That's not throttling, it's one of many graphical bugs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I was trying to test out if you can push things over with a 2 hander and one of the push increase talents(ironbreaker gets one, dont know if other tank careers do) but I think if you try to join a game with an orange item it crashes.

Joined a game without an orange item, equipped it and the game crashes. hahahaha

it'd be very interesting to see if that helps, because i should be clear: the way shieldbearers work right now is that they effectively have stamina the same way humans do. they'll block anything in a 180 degree arc in front of them and completely nullify the attack. when they run out of stamina they bowl over in an extravagant fashion. any time they're not blocking they will regenerate stamina - this includes when they're on the ground.

they seem to take a lot more stamina damage from pushes, and especially shield pushes. i'm unclear on exactly by what mechanism it does stamina damage, the innate push of the weapon class or what. but anyway, this becomes a real problem with shieldbearer stormvermin, who have a huge amount of stamina and a ton of health to back it up. if you don't have a shield on your side and get them facing THEIR shields almost immediately, you're going to have a very bad time indeed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i have to admit i love the horde feeling now. in VT1 it was ok but it felt like the zombie streams from l4d games. in this it feels like loving lord of the rings. like you see tons of chaos assholes poaring down a wooded hill like its the battle of amon hen.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have to admit i love the horde feeling now. in VT1 it was ok but it felt like the zombie streams from l4d games. in this it feels like loving lord of the rings. like you see tons of chaos assholes poaring down a wooded hill like its the battle of amon hen.

I have been describing it as a "24/7 Helm's Deep simulator" which I imagine will stay accurate given the apparently changes in level design they've made. Shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of assholes, all the time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Huh, I thought you only played games on consoles?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mordja posted:

Huh, I thought you only played games on consoles?

i got a new pc finally. and VT2 runs and plays like a dream.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Coolguye posted:

it'd be very interesting to see if that helps, because i should be clear: the way shieldbearers work right now is that they effectively have stamina the same way humans do. they'll block anything in a 180 degree arc in front of them and completely nullify the attack. when they run out of stamina they bowl over in an extravagant fashion. any time they're not blocking they will regenerate stamina - this includes when they're on the ground.

they seem to take a lot more stamina damage from pushes, and especially shield pushes. i'm unclear on exactly by what mechanism it does stamina damage, the innate push of the weapon class or what. but anyway, this becomes a real problem with shieldbearer stormvermin, who have a huge amount of stamina and a ton of health to back it up. if you don't have a shield on your side and get them facing THEIR shields almost immediately, you're going to have a very bad time indeed.

If that's the case it seems like a really commonsensical thing that 2handers would also be the stamina-free shieldbreakers as well, just as its the case for the heroes fighting 2hander enemies.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Power attacks seem to stagger shield users, that's what I do then just lop their heads off on the follow up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fans posted:

Power attacks seem to stagger shield users, that's what I do then just lop their heads off on the follow up.

it consumes a lot of stamina to take a strong hit, yes, same as it is for players to block a power attack from a stormvermin glaive. the difficulty you run into is when the shieldbearer has friends, and a strong attack like that causes your weapon to stick and allows all of his buddies to get free hits on you. also, god forbid you have 2+ shieldbearers in the same place if this is your strategy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's going to take a hell of a lot of modding or a serious redesign (which I don't think they're going to do) to make so much of this poo poo actually coherent

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I have yet to encounter a shield that can withstand my napalm hose :flame:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the shield bearers suck because it's like trying to hack through vines with a machete and then clunking into a tree stump that now won't let go of it

and then the horde of rats that just entered this analogy start chopping you to bits because your rhythm was severely hosed up

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah OK, Hagbane's pretty OP. Just had a level 9 elf join a pubgame, aggro a Stormvermin patrol and then single-handedly kill the entire thing with about 3 arrows.

Digirat posted:

it's going to take a hell of a lot of modding or a serious redesign (which I don't think they're going to do) to make so much of this poo poo actually coherent
I have no idea what you mean dude. It seems like the first game but with more stuff to kill and systems to level.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

Esplain, Lucy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Digirat posted:

Day one, cheat engine. Problem solved max level and all items. Most popular way to play VT1 is with the modding addon, it will exist again.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I have hit level 12

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried slayer, you die fast, even with the can't be hit for more than 25 dmg period talent.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Why would you get that. It doesn't increase your damage at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm getting that sense that more than a few talents aren't currently functioning properly. For instance anything that gives 2 stamina right now (talents, weapons, trinkets) only gives 1.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There is definitely some stuff that is pretty glaringly not working right, but its such an obviously early build with such skeletal non-ratsmacking systems on display it honestly feels cheap to speculate on where they could be going with it. Now on the 1st... maybe I talk a little more poo poo when we're playing a build made for primetime. I wanted proof that GWAR fans were as fun to fight as rats. They are. Feelin' pretty positive about current events, tbqh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Willie Tomg posted:

There is definitely some stuff that is pretty glaringly not working right, but its such an obviously early build with such skeletal non-ratsmacking systems on display it honestly feels cheap to speculate on where they could be going with it. Now on the 1st... maybe I talk a little more poo poo when we're playing a build made for primetime. I wanted proof that GWAR fans were as fun to fight as rats. They are. Feelin' pretty positive about current events, tbqh.

Yeah like I have heard text to speech voice lines in some spots. And looking from the Keep Helmgart is not fully modeled.

I imagine we will get the current version of the game on the 28th.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I really appreciate that fatshark seems to be paying much more attention to making the game simple and fun for the 94.6% of players who never bothered with vt1 cataclysm than getting bogged down in turbo-nerd balance tweaks. And the game is pretty awesome for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Orv posted:

I'm getting that sense that more than a few talents aren't currently functioning properly. For instance anything that gives 2 stamina right now (talents, weapons, trinkets) only gives 1.

Each shield is 2 stamina, are you sure it's bugged?

• Locked thread