Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Basically devils are 'addicted' to consumption, although addicted is the wrong term I think, but applies in how increasing dosage spirals. What you seem to be arguing is that addicts don't truly have free will. This is upsetting.

I think addiction is a good enough description. They don't seem to require consuming the flame to function - they're just compelled to do it to sate their natural hunger.

I'm not even sure if consuming the black flame is a core part of their nature? They seem to be mostly about Want, and the chaotic desire to get more. The black flame just seems to be the most effective way to feed that desire for consumption. Maybe a devil really can satisfy their desires by shipping the people around them and really really wanting them to get together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Bongo Bill posted:

Yes, the terms are synonymous. If one of them is a slur I don't know which one.

Not in this case. I asked Abaddon in this very thread what constitutes a demon and the answer was "It's a general term for "really bad things" and not "another word for devils".

Further, you have the alt-text of the page where allison explodes Mottom's tree husband that reads 1/6,000,000,000. And that dude was not a devil of any description.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Cupid and the terrible power of Want

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tenebrais posted:

I think addiction is a good enough description. They don't seem to require consuming the flame to function - they're just compelled to do it to sate their natural hunger.

I'm not even sure if consuming the black flame is a core part of their nature? They seem to be mostly about Want, and the chaotic desire to get more. The black flame just seems to be the most effective way to feed that desire for consumption. Maybe a devil really can satisfy their desires by shipping the people around them and really really wanting them to get together.
...that's a really good point.

Anyway, using the model of addiction, Cio will never be free of the desire to consume the flame... but also using the model of addiction, it's possible to be in recovery.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
we get the best webcomic for ten years and i have to sit here and watch a loving pack of computer janitors joylessly debate their pointless interpretations of the fluff in an untiring effort to prove that these characters are not characters in the "shines a light on an aspect of human nature" sense, which is too close to literature and would frighten the nerds, but instead are a collection of computer models whose rules have been clearly delineated in an offsite manual so they can be fully comprehended and predicted without any risk of surprise, uncertainty or illumination

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

true leftist posted:

we get the best webcomic for ten years and i have to sit here and watch a loving pack of computer janitors joylessly debate their pointless interpretations of the fluff in an untiring effort to prove that these characters are not characters in the "shines a light on an aspect of human nature" sense, which is too close to literature and would frighten the nerds, but instead are a collection of computer models whose rules have been clearly delineated in an offsite manual so they can be fully comprehended and predicted without any risk of surprise, uncertainty or illumination

See the real joy of it is that they're not even comprehending the very offsite manual that they pretend to base their "beep boop what is fiction and metaphor" analysis on.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
"don't be ridiculous this character is not a human, she is clearly a chaos automaton as specified in page 800 figure 14.1 of the third book of the apocrypha, like in my warhammers. i saw an unclad thigh once but a policeman saved me from it"

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

true leftist posted:

This is why neither you or them will be royalty.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Science fiction and fantasy uses non-human characters and beings as metaphors for humans? Whaaaaat?

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot

ElMaligno posted:

This is why neither you or them will be royalty.
i'm royalty

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

Maybe a devil really can satisfy their desires by shipping the people around them and really really wanting them to get together.

Shipping is just an abstract way of feasting on human flesh as is.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

true leftist posted:

...You're not wrong.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

paragon1 posted:

Not in this case. I asked Abaddon in this very thread what constitutes a demon and the answer was "It's a general term for "really bad things" and not "another word for devils".

Further, you have the alt-text of the page where allison explodes Mottom's tree husband that reads 1/6,000,000,000. And that dude was not a devil of any description.

i knew it

e:

true leftist posted:

"don't be ridiculous this character is not a human, she is clearly a chaos automaton as specified in page 800 figure 14.1 of the third book of the apocrypha, like in my warhammers. i saw an unclad thigh once but a policeman saved me from it"

being fair, if you weren’t already aware dead reckoning is the most joyless poster itt idk how to help you

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Being royalty is, like, being whatever man. Don't sweat it

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Being royalty is, like, being whatever man. Don't sweat it

Royalty is like being The Dude in the big lebowski but no one can pee on your rug because they themselves are in fact the rug

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Motherfucker posted:

Well now you're just crazy talking. :colbert:

Plus I dunno about you but if you've ever been forced to walk behind a slow rear end twenty something while they flail their limp wrists and honk out internet contractions in casual conversation with their shittily dressed friends and you havn't imagined biting their spinal column from behind and shaking them to death like a dog with a squeaky toy than I'm afraid we're living two different humanities.

Jeeze, why so cranky, grandpa? They run out of pudding cups at the retirement home?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Demiurge4 posted:

Angels don't revert to flame when they die though. They seem to perfectly retain their personalities and thoughts in the ether and even if they are significantly weakened they can sleep for a few millennia and come back. The fact that they count their deaths shows that they always retain their self. Angels still seem to change though, White Chain was probably a lot more strict in previous lives and recently has started showing human traits and compassion and a willingness to bend the law when the situation calls for it.

So the law they have to obey could just be an attribute of their physical bodies that was put there to control them, order, if you will.

The Thorn Knights don't need to obey the law because their bodies aren't the same.

Bodies have nothing to do with needing to obey the Law or not. The Law applies to all angels, even those in the Void who don't currently have bodies. It's part of what makes them angels.

And angels don't really keep most of their memories either. It's why Metatron being the only surviving angel from the time the gods were still alive is such a big deal. Metatron is the only one that remembers the gods.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

true leftist posted:

Sorry.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

PetraCore posted:

...that's a really good point.

Anyway, using the model of addiction, Cio will never be free of the desire to consume the flame... but also using the model of addiction, it's possible to be in recovery.
It's not addiction, because addiction is defined as a disorder. You aren't addicted to drinking water. Consuming humans isn't a disorder for a devil, it's being a devil. And devils absolutely will disintegrate if they don't consume humans:

Abbadon posted:

Devils eventually destabilize. They are immortal in the sense that the substance they are made of will never die (the Black Flame), but their personality is artificially created by a mask, which degrades over time. That’s why they have to make new pacts with humans, or feed on them (servants will also do), to ‘cool’ their natures, so to speak.

The angels/devils concept came very early on in the KSBD design process when I was thinking of beings based on concepts of law/chaos and what immortal beings along those lines would look like.

Angels are truly immortal and reincarnate, but there are a fixed number, and there will never be any more. They are defined strongly by their individual name and character and adherence to a moral code. They bypass the corrosive effects of immortality by becoming ‘new people’ in a sense when they reincarnate.

Devils are an immortal chaotic force artificially given individuality by humans. They are immortal in the sense that the force animating them is immortal and will never die, and even grow and spread (unlike angels).

I get that your preferred interpretation of Cio doesn't mesh with the way devils exist according to the author, but you're grasping here.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 19, 2018

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's not addiction, because addiction is defined as a disorder. You aren't addicted to drinking water. Consuming humans isn't a disorder for a devil, it's being a devil. And devils absolutely will disintegrate if they don't consume humans:

I get that your preferred interpretation of Cio doesn't mesh with the way devils exist according to the author, but you're grasping here.

abbadon also created cc

you are not abbadon

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Here's a question to ponder: when has Cio done something for Allison that was truly selfless, rather than being coerced or motivated by personal wants?

That's what I'm looking for. That's what will prove she has transcended her nature.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 19, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's a question to ponder: when has Cio done something for Allison that was truly selfless, rather than being coerced or motivated by personal wants?
Lmao man this is getting into the whole 'everything humans do can be broken down to personal wants or coercion and thus humans can't be truly selfless' poo poo. People want things... and are driven by it... wow. Amazing.

BTW genuine thanks for the detail that devils need black flame as nourishment to not disintegrate, I couldn't remember if it was a need or a want. Devils consuming black flame isn't pathological, but the cycle Cio describes where she at least would go further and further to cram as much down her gullet as possible as Yab was. Almost like what she wants is moderation... weird...

EDIT: I can't get over you using the fact that Cio is driven by wants and needs as a mark against her, god.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Given that doing 'good' things produces feel nice chemicals in the brain, when has a human?
I think you think Abaddon is a much worse writer than they are.
e: beaten, and in a better detailed way

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

True fact: vampire bats demonstrate self-detrimental altruism, but it still benefits them in the long run because vampire bats are blood communists.

EDIT: Vampire bats can only eat blood, and if they go without feeding for a few days their health crashes and they die. They're extremely vulnerable to starvation. If a vampire bat is too sick or injured to hunt, other members of their colony will altruistically let the injured bat drink their blood until they either recover or die. This is beneficial because it means if the bat that FED the other bat ever gets sick or injured like that, they can expect the same help.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 19, 2018

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PetraCore posted:

True fact: vampire bats demonstrate self-detrimental altruism, but it still benefits them in the long run because vampire bats are blood communists.

EDIT: Vampire bats can only eat blood, and if they go without feeding for a few days their health crashes and they die. They're extremely vulnerable to starvation. If a vampire bat is too sick or injured to hunt, other members of their colony will altruistically let the injured bat drink their blood until they either recover or die. This is beneficial because it means if the bat that FED the other bat ever gets sick or injured like that, they can expect the same help.

I'm surprised the cia hasn't exterminated these communist.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot

PetraCore posted:

this is legit super cool, thanks for sharing!

bats are perfect creatures

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
my theory on the missing eye is that in a later chapter cc will suffer from malnutrition, like the noble bat, and to save her life alison will feed her on her own flesh

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
ps - please nobody take it personally when i bitch about the discourse itt, if i didn't find grognards kind of endearing i wouldn't still be on these forums

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
it's just such a great comic that it makes me emotional

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

true leftist posted:

it's just such a great comic that it makes me emotional

We all get a little emotional over bug-lesbos, it's ok.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Who What Now posted:

Jeeze, why so cranky, grandpa? They run out of pudding cups at the retirement home?

Fuckin' kid get offa my lawn you're loving up all the gold coins

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: I can't get over you using the fact that Cio is driven by wants and needs as a mark against her, god.
Humans are driven by needs like safety, belonging, and affection, while devils are driven by a need to consume humans body and soul.

stone cold posted:

abbadon also created cc

you are not abbadon
Sure, but Abbadon has explained pretty directly, both through various characters and as the author, the nature of devils.

Allison: "Then why are you even here?"
Cio: "I thought- I thought... maybe I could... make something of thee. Something to help protect me."

Cio: "Devils feed on human soul flames, Allison. Normally, we get it through pacts. But some of us... Didn't much like being bound. Over time, the oldest and most cunning-some among us found other ways. We were born from hunger, Allison. Driven to grow, to spread an' consume... Old devils roost here. Like me. And old devils... Have only one way of looking at the world: as meat."

Himself: she's not your friend
the first thought Ciocie Ciocelle had upon meeting you was how fast she could slit your throat and take your key

Cio: "Those other devils were right about me. I'VE TRIED TO SLAUGHTER THEM ALL! I'M A 'FLESH-EATING MONSTER' PRETENDIN' SHE'S A LITTLE WOMAN!"

Oskar: "We devils have one rule, me lovely: 'Do as thou wilt'."

Cio: "Devils are solitary creatures, Allison. We are pure desire. We have nothing else in our hearts. No comrades. No family. And no friends."

Cio: "Allison, I know I'm a lying arsehole, but I e'nt gonna lie this time... Mark me well Allison, when I say: whether tha'll have me or not, I'm for thee. I'm for thee."
Also Cio:

Goons: "I think she's really just a misunderstood addict trying to get her life together despite being exploited & abused by Allison. :downs:"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 19, 2018

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Goons: "I think she's really just a misunderstood addict trying to get her life together despite being exploited & abused by Allison. :downs:"

Now you get it!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Seriously though there was a whole scene about White Chain going on a rant about how 'he's' a pitiless law robot who isn't a girl inside at all no sir and how they can never possible change and it culminates with her getting into a fist fight at an olive garden and causing a scene. The most human thing possible.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

Humans are driven by needs like safety, belonging, and affection, while devils are driven by a need to consume humans body and soul.

Humans also need to eat, dipshit.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nowhere in your posts did I see anything relating to Cio not being crazy about this venture because Allison was insistent Cio become her old self. I'm not calling anything exploitation or abuse, but she did drag a reluctant Cio into this, before the dungeon diving brought it out.

It feels a bit off calling her an addict, but there's a distance between what she's comfortable with doing to exist as a blue devil and what she's not willing to go back to, even if it means more power (and hunger for more)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cio's a self-loathing addict who has trouble accurately self-reporting due to the unfortunately terminal condition of personhood.

Notably, at the same time she says devils have no friends and no family, there's Nxor and Xand right there, and Yab's husband cared for her enough to try to resurrect her, and to not allow Cio to leave when he got Cio instead, out of the hope Cio would develop into Yab. Part of that is certainly self-serving, since Yab helped him build their empire... but I do think part of it was love, given they were partners for so long and Yab didn't take HIM out, either.

Sometimes... and this is hard to understand sometimes... sometimes characters lie or have warped self image. I haven't said Cio is a poor little innocent who was horribly abused by Allison, you keep strawmanning me. I'm saying pretty much every major character in this comic has major self-esteem issues and if you only accepted what they said about themselves they'd come off massively worse than what they've demonstrated themselves to be... or massively better, in some cases.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 19, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm honestly not certain how this scene plus the most recent page is supposed to help your case, rather than be literally the definition of dramatic irony?

Seriously, the lady doth protest too much, that is literally what is happening here. The small lady bug demon is protesting a ton, because it makes her NOT being that a lot more dramatically interesting.
What kind of dramatic beat, exactly, is the most recent page, if not that exact kind of dramatic irony? What has happened here if Cio is in fact a murderous monster with less interesting individual characterization than the most generic vampire-trying-not-to-murder ever?
Also Petal Knights absolutely are breaking the Old Law - their bodies mutate and their armor breaks as a result of that Law being broken.
The fact that the oldest, crustiest angels are the least changing and the most constrained by the code they were given is like a 0% surprising thing if the Old Law is not totally inescapable.

People can be stuck in self-destructive cycles despite not having a metaphysical stricture preventing them from escaping said cycle, and it's a lot more interesting if that's the case than if they're just totally inevitably stuck there.

EDIT: The alt text on the page linked above is "Betrayal" - who do you think is betraying whom?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yo imma just say I think PetraCore's take sounds pretty fuckin reasonable

Also welcome back Cio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Humans die eventually and nothing will stop it, unless extraordinary methods are employed. We've seen one method: fruit from a tree watered by the blood of maidens. How is that any different from a devil needing to consume the flame from humans to extend their lifespan?