Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mu Zeta posted:

Electric burr grinders are at least twice the cost though

Yeah that's fair. But man, gently caress manually grinding coffee beans at 5am. I'm just not THAT into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually bought a manual grinder for that purpose. My Baratza grinder is way too loud in the morning but hand grinding is fairly quiet.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

khysanth posted:

Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet

That DCF fabric is loving fantastic, last year I picked up an arc haul from Zpacks with the DCF, and it's my favorite pack I've ever had. Super durable too. Plus it's 3 pounds lighter than my Osprey pack, which is now my winter/spare loaner pack.

Did you get hip belt pockets on that? That doesn't have any kind of frame, right? I'd be curious for an update on your thoughts down the line, once you get some trail time in.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Inzombiac posted:

???

I just bought an electric one for $45. Takes a minute to fill up the container.
Why the hell you you do it by hand unless you want to take it camping? I guess?

Which electric burr grinder is under 50$?

Personally I use my hand grinder at work because being a weirdo is fun.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I like my capresso, got it for 80

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Bought some new gun parts for my bike, because I hate having a stripe of what looks like explosive diarrhea coming straight up from my rear end everytime I ride in the rain or snow

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

Bought some new gun parts for my bike, because I hate having a stripe of what looks like explosive diarrhea coming straight up from my rear end everytime I ride in the rain or snow

Quoting this because I also got the same gun parts. Different brand probably but that's what the shop had while I was in there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

At what point in time was it that some extremely stupid person thought a bike without fenders was somehow not only acceptable but superior to a bike with fenders, anyway? Back in the 80s I don't think anyone would've even considered buying a bike without them, they'd just have asked the shop "where the gently caress are the fenders?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe when BMX took off? I seem to recall the 80's was when me and my friends all started taking our kickstands off because of that.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

OSU_Matthew posted:

Superglue the poo poo out of those safety releases.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Jerry Cotton posted:

At what point in time was it that some extremely stupid person thought a bike without fenders was somehow not only acceptable but superior to a bike with fenders, anyway? Back in the 80s I don't think anyone would've even considered buying a bike without them, they'd just have asked the shop "where the gently caress are the fenders?"

Grams, dude. Grams.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ammanas posted:

Grams, dude. Grams.

Grandmothers are to blame :confused:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

This but kickstands.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm waiting for someone to step in to decry the removal of dork disks from road bikes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

I'm waiting for someone to step in to decry the removal of dork disks from road bikes.

Oh yeah I borrowed a bike from a co-worker once and almost fell over because I got my jeans stuck between the gears while cornering. I'm going out on a limb here but I'm thinking "dork disks" (had to Bing that term) are infinitely less dorky than having to use clothespins or stuff your trouser legs into your socks or something just to ride a bike safely.

e: Oh wait that's not a dork disk? Chain guard or something? Anyway the thing that stops your trousers away from the big gear.

Coredump posted:

This but kickstands.

Oh they took those out as well? Hadn't noticed.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Feb 19, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh yeah I borrowed a bike from a co-worker once and almost fell over because I got my jeans stuck between the gears while cornering. I'm going out on a limb here but I'm thinking "dork disks" (had to Bing that term) are infinitely less dorky than having to use clothespins or stuff your trouser legs into your socks or something just to ride a bike safely.

e: Oh wait that's not a dork disk? Chain guard or something? Anyway the thing that stops your trousers away from the big gear.
Dork disks (also known as pie plates and actually called spoke protectors or something) are the plastic disks to prevent the real derailleur from going into the spokes (which shouldn't be possible unless something is messed up anyway). They are required to be installed on bikes by state laws (I think?) in some places but most people remove them from road bikes.

Chain guards are indeed what you are thinking of, and even though they're potentially quite useful for not getting chain grease on your pants (or getting your pants stuck in the chain as you noticed), they are pretty unpopular these days.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Electric burr grinders are at least twice the cost though

You can get a Capresso Infinity for $80. That's only $25 more and for a lot of people, well worth the additional cost.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I bought $200 (40 boxes) worth of Girl Scout cookies this week. It wasn't all just for me but a good amount was and they were so good.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Groda posted:

Superglue the poo poo out of those safety releases.

A perfect title for the osha thread

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Digital Jedi posted:

I bought $200 (40 boxes) worth of Girl Scout cookies this week. It wasn't all just for me but a good amount was and they were so good.
You should eat all 40 boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3dK1tOlRjo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Etrips posted:

For some reason I thought he was referring to electric bladed grinders.

Nah, just replaced my bladed for an electric burr and it was soooooo worth the $45.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Heh look at these fools enjoying inferior non kcup coffee. So sad.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jerry Cotton posted:

I always change when I ride a decent distance anyway cause of sweat so a bit of dirt on the ol' bum don't bother me none

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Coredump posted:

Quoting this because I also got the same gun parts. Different brand probably but that's what the shop had while I was in there.

:hfive:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I had some on my old bike, but they got totaled (along with the rest of the bike) when some asshat sideswiped and briefly dragged me with his truck.

I didn't think fenders would fit my new road bike, but after having done a fair amount of fjording flooded trail sections in weather just above freezing, I finally did some googling and found a pair that'll work.

This was the puddle that finally convinced me:

mystes posted:

On my current bike, I didn't have the rear derailleur properly adjusted after I received it, but everything shifted fine and I didn't know any better about setting the limits, so I wound up accidentally overshifting the chain into the rear wheel, utterly destroying a high end wheel and breaking other stuff like the jockey cog. The wheel itself was so jammed up I couldn't take it off, and had to physically carry the bike four more miles back to my car.

When I rebuilt the bike, I made sure to add a dork disk.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm in Germany for a month and noticed a gap in the wardrobe I brought with me. Brought heavy coats and plenty of fleeces and such, but realized on some of the slightly warmer days this last week I should have probably left one of the coats at home and brought something slightly lighter instead. So I bought this soft shell

Nothing fancy, just a functional outer layer.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Feb 19, 2018

advion
Jul 25, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

This was the puddle that finally convinced me:

I think you wanted a boat.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Our old $99 grill went kaput the other month and we've been putting off dealing with it. Tried to clean out the venturi tubes only to have every fastener rust off when I tried to remove them, while still firmly holding the burners in place. I think materials wise it is now rust > spiders > original materials by mass.

Bought a Weber Genesis II E-310 and various accessories to replace it! This one will actually be covered, and we're talking a lot of game about cleaning and maintaining it in general. It's our first non-cheapest-one-they-sell. Suggested by thecordcutter.com.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IF1GV4E/ - It even has free delivery and assembly, which sold me. I assume all the over-torqued rounded off screws & bolts $0 can buy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Big boy grills are always awesome. My uncle has a 42 inch Wolf grill that he rolls out for every big family event and it is the coolest looking thing on the planet. One day I'll be able to purchase a grill that costs more than a loving used car.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want a grill but I don’t want a house.

Drifter problems.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

I want a grill but I don’t want a house.

Drifter problems.

This is why we had a lovely one. We lived in a rental condo and didn't want to deal with spending real money on one until we knew where we were going to be for a long time.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

This is why we had a lovely one. We lived in a rental condo and didn't want to deal with spending real money on one until we knew where we were going to be for a long time.

This is why I haven't bought any cool tools yet :(

I just want a band saw and lathe and drill press and table saw and a bunch of other stuff :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ReidRansom posted:

This is why I haven't bought any cool tools yet :(

I just want a band saw and lathe and drill press and table saw and a bunch of other stuff :(

Yeah I want a garage more than anything but I can’t fathom spending 2k/mo on rent and I’m not close to ready for a purchase yet.

Oh well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Guess what it is without cheating

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

A gold plated volume knob for audiophiles stereos. Designed to be as "sound neutral" as possible. $1499.99.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Official TRUMP brand Ashtray.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

A press stud thing

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Caviar dish

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

It looks like a pad for the little rod on the bottom of a cello or bass.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zinjnok posted:

It looks like a pad for the little rod on the bottom of a cello or bass.

Bingo!

Now someone else go, this is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

High class pog slammer.