Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Josh Lyman posted:

When is Kevin Martin on? When they show curling during the primetime mix?

I believe it's for the matches they show on CNBC. I'm one of those Olympic-only curling people, so I don't recognize him by voice or anything, but from the limited info on the web about the NBC, he was the guy doing analysis for several of the matches I was watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Vertical Lime posted:

so eve lost because they thought she let go of the last stone too late

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/965182858762571776
https://twitter.com/evemuirhead/status/965180658891894786

it is also impossible for the canadian and gb women to be good and controversy free at the same time

when they meet it's gonna be an elimination match, isn't it

I mean they were most likely still going to lose anyways, but I was really confused since the replay showed she released it before the line.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Man, curling seems like one of the few Olympic sports where you don’t need to use at least a little pharmacological boosts on the side to be competitive at that level.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Wizard posted:

Man, curling seems like one of the few Olympic sports where you don’t need to use at least a little pharmacological boosts on the side to be competitive at that level.

I think it’s a bit like golf where you might be looking for things to calm your nerves.

Plus the great curlers are all in pretty good shape. Some of the dudes are pretty jacked.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's a long event though and anything that keeps you feeling fitter for longer will help immensely

But goddamn Russia, couldn't you have just dropped it for one Olympics before getting all back on the juice

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mr. t is livetweeting taped curling

https://twitter.com/MrT/status/965330068435173376
https://twitter.com/MrT/status/965350644063272962

whatta fool

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Grrr

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
What a shot by Homan just now in the 5th end

e: Holy poo poo, Canada steals 4

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

homan just did something opposite of the thread title

a 4-stone steal

that was badass

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo Homan is divine

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

japan concedes after 7

folks

homan is back

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Homan is back, baby.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Time to change the thread title to Woe is Koe.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

It's a long event though and anything that keeps you feeling fitter for longer will help immensely

But goddamn Russia, couldn't you have just dropped it for one Olympics before getting all back on the juice

Yeah but all the same an event where the dude who looks like this won Olympic gold I feel like it really isn't that necessary

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

gret posted:

Time to change the thread title to Woe is Koe.

wooey is kooey

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Really disappointed that only 3 of the Danish women are redheads. US looking good so far in the 9th.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the other day i had the "intrusive" thought "ooey gooey kevin koe" and now i can't get it out of my head

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Danish skip just made a very difficult last shot to tie after 9. Missed the guard by a hair and took out two American stones. Danes scored 1 by less than an inch.

E: US wins. Draw with the hammer, Roth almost overthrew it, but had a couple inches to spare.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 19, 2018

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
There were some really good shots by both teams in the 9th end, but that was way too close to win it for the USA.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Homan is back to being awesome. Korea beats Sweden. Korea is going to be real scary in the playoffs.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Lmao at the cbc commentators making GBS threads all over Shuster

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Lmao at the cbc commentators making GBS threads all over Shuster

They are talking about his strategy like he’s a five year old who’s never curled before.

Shuster: I’m not sure that’s the best shot.
Announcer: I am.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Cmon shuster, bring it home

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, Shuster seems good to me.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

Really disappointed that only 3 of the Danish women are redheads. US looking good so far in the 9th.

Was all set to make Julie Hogh my secondary curling waifu but saw she was 18 and now I feel skeezy af.

Wow saw the replay of Homan's shots.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
what a huge mistake on Koe's last stone.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
What the Christ, Canada.

EDIT: Which NHL coach is going to have to phone Koe?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Koe can't seem to make his shots under pressure

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Shuster is such a team player, making sure his sweepers were needed and didn’t feel left out on the last rock. Shocked USA won, luckily Koe was just a touch off tonight.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Shuster cried :3:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grem posted:

Shuster cried :3:

I'll feel a little more bad making fun of the guy now :(

I'll probably still do it. But I'll feel worse about doing it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the women's results

the us routs china

eve was clutch

the fight for the last playoff spot is getting good

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Krushelnytsky failed a doping test

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/sports/olympics/olympic-curling-doping-reaction.html

quote:

Brent Laing, who plays for the Canadian men’s team, said he had no idea how meldonium would enhance performance.

“Outside of beer and Advil, that’s the only painkillers I’ve ever heard of for curling,” Laird said. “I imagine it wasn’t that. Hopefully not, or else I’d be in trouble.”

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
Sloppy NYT copyediting never changes. "Laing" to "Laird" in one sentence.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tagesschau posted:

Sloppy NYT copyediting never changes. "Laing" to "Laird" in one sentence.

can't stop for copyediting, gotta publish fast so we can be first with the pun headline

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I honestly find it shocking that people would dope in curling. Yeah I realise that sweeping can be pretty physically straining, but still, overall it really is more of a finesse sport. Seems like such high risk vs low reward. It's not a cardio sport in the same way tennis or something is, so I can't imagine the advantage is anything more than extremely slight.

It will be very embarrassing for the IOC if it's all true. At this point I assume Russia is just unshameable, but I feel bad for the majority of clean Russian athletes who get tarred by their national brush. Presumably there is systemic pressure to dope. Personally I agreed with letting Russian athletes perform under OAR, even if it is awkward, because I don't think it's right to take away the right to compete from individuals for a nation's mistakes. But this will do a lot to undermine that good will.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The drug he got busted for keeps you calm and collected. In a sport where stone speed needs to be consistent this is probably an advantage. People are using the term doping but that term covers more than injecting extra red blood cells.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I love their jackets.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
How long ago did they qualify though maybe picked some trace amounts from a previous tournament that had the folks bought off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've stayed up until 3AM watching curling twice in the past week and I have no regrets at all. Shuster's huge kick/fist-pump after the final stone last night was fantastic.

I continue to be incredibly mad that there's no real curling "scene" in NYC. It seems inexplicable.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 19, 2018

• Locked thread