Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like a squat, but with bad form and no weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Yes, and a lot of reps.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding bench, I'm stupidly doing GVT and today was 10x10x180 lbs bench day

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Nice.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also I am fat and slow

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My entire chest just collapsed in on itself and died just from reading that.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Regarding deadlifts: I remember failing a lift at 418 lbs sometime before christmas, then succeeding somewhere between Christmas and New Years. Since then I haven't really pulled anything heavy, just been doing some general hypertrophy work, but I figured I might as well just ahve some fun this week since my workouts will be all over the place due to travel etc.
So, I warmed up, and it felt good, so I loaded 440, and sure enough, up it went. New personal best (I remember not so long ago that 405 felt really intimidating)! I felt pretty good so I loaded 484, and up it went. Hook grip.
:wtc:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You were so close to 5 plates, why stop there. Also good job, strong boy.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

bamhand posted:

You were so close to 5 plates, why stop there. Also good job, strong boy.

Thanks!
I use metric, so that was 220kg. I usually just use 2,2 as a factor when figuring out pounds.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 19, 2018

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

hemale in pain posted:

I always find it really scary when I see somone squatting to almost failure without the safeties up :ohdear:

I meant the safety bar as in specialty safety squat bar

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh wow that looks luxurious

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Mother fucker is like a week old.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How close? I think there might be too many mirrors if that's what you mean to avoid. I suspect it might be ankle dorsiflexion, I did forget to bring my squat shoes that night. I took a video but my lens cover or whatever it's called was smudged so it came out super blurry.

i mean like elbows up, front rack position, as close to the wall as you can get.

taking away problems with ankle mobility generally hide problems somewhere else.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fallows posted:

I've never tried to do cardio so i dunno

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's the hard thing yeah, you don't know what you can do, or even who you are, unless you try it.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

doverhog posted:

I do most of my exercising at home. As a thought experiment, could you guyes do 100 40kg kettlebell swings and 200 hindu squats, or 10x10x62kg bench press? I've not tried to see what my max lifts would be but sure they would be lower than you guys, just curious. I guess what im saying is i am bringing autonomous crossfit into the no crossfit zone, sorry...

I've tried training like that for periods of time and it was fun and good for general health but I got weaker as a result. Maybe that's a helpful answer?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It is helpful in a way, yeah. I've been thinking about getting a gym membership starting to do a real program for a while. Maybe will, maybe wont, but it's a thought that's rumbling around.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
You'll probably enjoy it and don't have to stop your current training, just reduce the volume a bit at first.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

i mean like elbows up, front rack position, as close to the wall as you can get.

taking away problems with ankle mobility generally hide problems somewhere else.

Wait, so is this purposely a thing to keep you from just putting your knees too far forward to see if you lack flexibility elsewhere or am I still misunderstanding?

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Chief McHeath posted:

Mother fucker is like a week old.

That's why I don't trust those things. Tricep pushdowns fine, but doing something like Face Pulls with those things just feels like I'm tempting fate.

On an unrelated note, I know I just moved to Chicago in December and asked about gyms, but does anyone know about lifting gyms in Frankfurt Germany? Assuming my visa is approved, I'd be moving out there in April.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
just grip the rope part, I don't feel face pulls should overcome your grip and send the ends flying off anyway

e: also we have a couple of new looking ropes like that, and one that's wore out and frayed in the middle and that one is the best one for some reason

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 20, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Those ends just end up rubbing skin off my knuckles anyway. I wish they weren't there.

Also face pulls are like low bar squats where you mention them in front of other people and nobody knows what the gently caress you're talking about. I guess that's what happens when you learn how to exercise from the internet.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

The Ferret King posted:

Those ends just end up rubbing skin off my knuckles anyway. I wish they weren't there.

Also face pulls are like low bar squats where you mention them in front of other people and nobody knows what the gently caress you're talking about. I guess that's what happens when you learn how to exercise from the internet.

Face pulls are rad....

Finally hit 100kg on my bench press....am I cool yet?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Pause or TNG?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like years of using my right hand in a weird position at the computer has made my right side weaker. like when i do pushups or bench, my left pec is definitely carrying more of the weight. my right wrist and pec definitely have strain on them from sitting at desks, gaming and poo poo. how do i fix this imbalance?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Use dumbbells.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chief McHeath posted:

Use dumbbells.

and do chest presses?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

and do chest presses?

Sure. Continue your barbell work if that's what suits you and throw in some dumbbell sets of the same movement if you have an imbalance.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Two months and I'm back up to a 375 squat. 5/3/1 is alright.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Today I deadlifted 245 for 15 and it was a mistake.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I’m getting kind of tired of RP physique and think I might do something else for a while. Going to try Alfalfa’s 531 4-day programme, and see if I do better on that one for a while.

Yes, part of the reason is to escape 5 sets of 10-20 deadlifts.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Tried out high bar tonight, although only at 135. I'm surprised I was able to stay that upright, considered what happened with the front squats last time. Although this time I stretched my calves and had my heels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhoXLnUCvRE&feature=youtu.be Good, Bad? Don't feel like posting it in form check, that thread doesn't get much traffic and until I actually do a challenging weight I probably won't notice anything glaring.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Looks good man. You are correct though, you probably won't notice any problems with your form until you bump the weight up. And when that happens, just keep it low and focus on nailing your form before you add more.

After hurting my back at work almost 2 months ago I've been super conscious about my form squatting and deadlifting, and I feel like its better now than before I hurt myself. Blessing in disguise I guess.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

i feel like years of using my right hand in a weird position at the computer has made my right side weaker. like when i do pushups or bench, my left pec is definitely carrying more of the weight. my right wrist and pec definitely have strain on them from sitting at desks, gaming and poo poo. how do i fix this imbalance?

Get someone to film you benchpressing and see if your doing something obviously wrong.

My left shoulder kept slipping out of retraction and I had no idea. I couldn't feel it doing it under the weight and the bar path looked straight from what I could see on the bench.

From the video it was lopsided as gently caress though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Constipated posted:

Looks good man. You are correct though, you probably won't notice any problems with your form until you bump the weight up. And when that happens, just keep it low and focus on nailing your form before you add more.

After hurting my back at work almost 2 months ago I've been super conscious about my form squatting and deadlifting, and I feel like its better now than before I hurt myself. Blessing in disguise I guess.

My lower back gets tight sometimes, although mostly from work or maybe OHP if I get sloppy. Deads/squats feel fine. It's actually my left hip flexor that has been giving me some poo poo lately. The high bars felt pretty good though tonight, I'll probably stick with them for a while.

e: Also I finally cooked something healthy and delicious at the same time! Pork Tenderloin and peas. I'm probably going to eat tenderloins most of the time for a while now. They are super easy to cook and not gently caress up. 415 in the oven, pull it out as soon as it hits 160-165 in the center. Going to try marinading it next time for better results I'm sure.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 21, 2018

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Definitely look up some stuff on youtube on how to stretch your hip flexors, glutes and that whole area. Squatting while your HF's aren't 100% could make the problem alot worse in the future especially if you are doing more than 135.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I do the couch stretch against a wall sometimes. The thing is, I'm not sure if they need stretched more or strengthened. I'm standing at work like 70 hours a week, so it's possible they could be loose/weak. Or maybe even tight/weak. It's hard to say. They feel tight when I try to do that stretch, it's hard to get upright, but when I do literally any other hip flexor stretch like the lunge one, or the runners stretch, I don't feel poo poo. And I know to tuck my pelvis under to help it. I could always just do the stretch a couple times a day for a week or two, and see if the problem gets better or worse.

e: For whatever it's worth, I only feel it at the very bottom of a squat. Also when raising my leg up high while standing, or if I use my leg to push something forward while it's fairly straight, like say pushing a pallet on the ground away from you. Deadlifts for instance don't bother it at all. And it was low bar that caused it, I tend to fold over a lot at the bottom as mentioned before, so perhaps that contributed toward the issue.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 21, 2018

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Constipated posted:

Definitely look up some stuff on youtube on how to stretch your hip flexors, glutes and that whole area. Squatting while your HF's aren't 100% could make the problem alot worse in the future especially if you are doing more than 135.

I'm not sure why a tight hip flexor would impede a squat, since the hip is passively getting flexed just by doing the motion.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

ovenboy posted:

I'm not sure why a tight hip flexor would impede a squat, since the hip is passively getting flexed just by doing the motion.

It doesnt your right, he prob just is listening to the wrong music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Could be it being too tight/loose or just generally not like it's supposed to be making it get impinged somehow is my guess. I'll also be doing more glute activation stuff, as that seems to help literally everything it seems like. Also I wonder if poor ankle mobility forced me to try and use mobility at the hip I didn't really have. Stretching my calves felt like it helped a lot tonight.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 21, 2018