Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

nm the mental illness issue is with people who think theyre going to be watering the tree of liberty any time soon

Don't forget the leftest tankies who don't know their own history. Like Athens Tennessee or the BPP, who had armed poll watchers in response to the KKK's actual terrorist campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Are you trying to change my mind? If I don't trust the government not to abuse its powers, giving me examples of the government actively trying to do it to other people isn't going to change that. Congrats, I'm even MORE entrenched in my position.

I’m just calling out one of your outlandish claims, but to the other side, these attempts at disenfranchisement are short lived.

No one is changing the second amendment. Your toys are safe.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think any place in the world is going to be able to handle the equivalent of 1 weapon a person without getting violent. Just a reminder that we have half of the world's privately owned weapons (approx 300 of 600 million worldwide) with only Yemen and one other place even remotely close (approx 0.5/per person) while basically the rest of the anglosphere has 0.3 or less and most countries in the world period less than 0.2 guns per person. The homicide and violent crime rates track right along with those ownership rates.

Apparently if you removed every homicide by firearm from US statistics, you would still be vastly more violent than here in western Europe. And if understand correctly there's areas in the us with lax laws and high ownership with European levels of violent crime.

I said this in the TFR thread. But I'm absolutely convinced you could teleport all 300 million US guns to my country of 17 million and our murder rate would hardly budge. While the US would remain vastly more violent.

People here plain simply don't have as much motivating factors to kill regardless of availability of means. A proper social safety net goes a long way.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Are you trying to change my mind? If I don't trust the government not to abuse its powers, giving me examples of the government actively trying to do it to other people isn't going to change that. Congrats, I'm even MORE entrenched in my position.

I don't even KNOW what I'm talking about but I KNOW I NEED my guns!

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I’d be fine with just keeping my .38/357/44 revolvers and my bolt .22’s and my 870 and such. I’ve a few ARs and an AK that I have no great love for owing to having used one for work starting at 17 years of age. Call me a Fudd or whatever, I dont hunt anymore, I do like to shoot though. The shottie is the go-to home gun if giant spiders try to get in. I feel fine carrying a snub .38 or my 7-shot Kahr 9. I dont feel the need to carry 45 rounds of ammo plus a back-up gun if I’m buying baby food and diapers.

The old Fed AW ban which really did nothing was in effect when I “got” into guns having moved from NY to WA. I like 6-guns more than anything and that is what my primary fixation is as far as the whole “fetishize” guns thing; (I like looking at old police pics from the revolver days)

That said, coming from a state that wouldn’t even let you touch a handgun without a permit, and then had a totally political and overly arduous permit system in place, to one where I had a CCW in two weeks was like a “wha?” moment. It seemed too easy at the time but I have no complaints on that side. It has been interesting though seeing WA state in general increase in shootings for some reason compared to 2002. I’m not sure why this is.

I think part of the problem with the AR crowd is they don’t have a sustainable hobby, something to pass down to the kids, etc. Social media gun posts demonstrate this in that everything are these dumb extreme “look at me” videos and pics.

I’d be fine with a few things;

-Safe storage requirements; a gun locker isn’t expensive. That plus a home security system should cut down on thefts.

-like making semi- rifles/scatter-guns that are in centerfire calibers restricted federally to 21 and over.

-The NCIC check is fine too as far as backgrounds. I would like to see something like Michigan though where I could go to my local cop shop/sheriff, get a pistol purchase permit(after they do the NCIC), and buy private party so I don’t have to finagle a meet with someone at an FFL.

-Owing that MOST firearms murders in most places are committed by people who are not “strangers to the rodeo” in terms of gun crime i think emptying out the fed prisons of non-violent criminals and using that mandatory 5 year fed stretch for felons is a start. If you look at Chicago shootings, DC, even Seattle, most of the time the shooter(if even caught) had rap sheets with unlawful possession of a firearm(by a felon), assault (with a weapon), robbery, etc in their history, maybe they could lock up these people and for at least 5 or 10 years they’d be out of circulation. It’d at least slow down the majority of gun crime. Stop letting gun-offenders plead down time. I’m thinking Rockefeller style laws for recidivist gun criminals. Also true gun-traffickers should fall into this category. Like the Indiana-Chi pipeline or the VA -> NYC one. Get caught dumping Hi-Points into hi-crime areas, 5 years a gun.

-There should probably be a course of gun safety taught at the early elementary level in the basics (don’t touch, tell an adult, get away type teaching), then at middle school (same plus teach kids about violence and staying safe, etc), and again in high school (including conflict resolution, being a good citizen, empathy, etc). It doesn’t have to be about handling a gun per se, just understanding them, knowing how to react to their presence (like how to not freak out if the cops pull you over, or roll-in the active shooter stuff at that point but tie it in with first aid since car accidents and drug overdoses are still way more prevalent that active shootings in school.

-Apparently autism and guns meet in a bad place as well. Probably look at that a bit.

-Any permitting system on a national level would have to place the burden on the govt. Like online applications, well-thought out systems. Not just draconian and burdensome systems really enacted to push people away from shooting sports.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m just calling out one of your outlandish claims, but to the other side, these attempts at disenfranchisement are short lived.

I was specifically thinking of an overt motion in violation of this: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude." You're right that felons have had their rights abridged.

quote:

No one is changing the second amendment. Your toys are safe.

Don't be a dismissive rear end in a top hat, this was a reasonable conversation.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can we reset a bit because I have no idea what anyone is arguing anymore/.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

I was specifically thinking of an overt motion in violation of this: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude." You're right that felons have had their rights abridged.

Don't be a dismissive rear end in a top hat, this was a reasonable conversation.

Your fears of getting your arms taken away are not reasonable and are on the edge of phobic paranoia, but you said you don't shoot them so what should I call them? I highly doubt you've ever actually used any of them in self defense of yourself or others. The federal government is not some big boogeyman out to get you.

I'm really not trying to be super snarky, but seriously what would be a reasonable restriction to you? What good justification is there for half of the entire world's private arms to be in the USA?

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 19, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your fears of getting your arms taken away are not reasonable and are on the edge of phobic paranoia, but you said you don't shoot them so what should I call them?

There are senior Democrats that have been rallying for exactly that for years. What's the unreasonable part? Just because they've been incompetent on a national level since the 90s?
Also, I do shoot. You were conflating owning guns with shooting them, so I provided a couple of examples of other situations. I prefer shooting full-sized pistols to compacts, but they suck for concealed carry. So I practice with my compact not for fun, but for practice. I shoot other guns for fun.

quote:

I highly doubt you've ever actually used any of them in self defense of yourself or others. The federal government is not some big boogeyman out to get you.

I've almost drawn my pistol once, when I was an armed guard; fortunately I haven't had to go further than that. I've also got a friend who is permanently disfigured from an evening when he answered the door and four dudes kicked it in, cut on him a little bit, and discussed whether or not to murder him in his own living room.

quote:

I'm really not trying to be super snarky, but seriously what would be a reasonable restriction to you? What good justification is there for half of the entire world's private arms to be in the USA?

I'm fine with expanding background checks, provided that the infrastructure is put into place to support it. Or if there's a way to flag people with mental conditions that should preclude firearm possession without violating HIPAA. Hell, if there's a way to codify a registry that could never be employed to identify/track/prosecute/etc gun owners simply for being gun owners, I'd be willing to listen to that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

There are senior Democrats that have been rallying for exactly that for years. What's the unreasonable part? Just because they've been incompetent on a national level since the 90s?
Also, I do shoot. You were conflating owning guns with shooting them, so I provided a couple of examples of other situations. I prefer shooting full-sized pistols to compacts, but they suck for concealed carry. So I practice with my compact not for fun, but for practice. I shoot other guns for fun.

It's not going to happen without a constitutional amendment. Until that's actually a real possibility, your fears are entirely unreasonable. If they tried to actually take arms, the SCOTUS is not going to suddenly flip back on Heller.

Godholio posted:

I've almost drawn my pistol once, when I was an armed guard; fortunately I haven't had to go further than that. I've also got a friend who is permanently disfigured from an evening when he answered the door and four dudes kicked it in, cut on him a little bit, and discussed whether or not to murder him in his own living room.

I bolded the important part. I understand the need for a guard to be armed, but you've never been in a situation at all where you would need to carry a weapon 24/7. Your friend's story, while tragic, probably would have been worse if he had a gun on him when he answered because he wasn't prepared to draw to fire right away anyways (being that they seem to have caught him off guard). He has a gun on him and he probably gets shot. Also, to this extent, do you carry your weapon ready to be drawn every single time you open the door? If not, then you're not actually protecting yourself with it.

Godholio posted:

I'm fine with expanding background checks, provided that the infrastructure is put into place to support it. Or if there's a way to flag people with mental conditions that should preclude firearm possession without violating HIPAA. Hell, if there's a way to codify a registry that could never be employed to identify/track/prosecute/etc gun owners simply for being gun owners, I'd be willing to listen to that.

I think this is a good start, but it's going to be insufficient on it's own. Expanded background checks wouldn't have stopped Cruz or Paddock.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

Yeah? Do you think he would have had time to run to his room, pull his weapon out of his safe, load it, and put rounds on those guys? Or do you walk around your house constantly at the low ready waiting for a threat. How about when you're taking a poo poo? When you're at the gym? What about when you're at the grocery store?

If guns were an instant remedy to getting unexpectedly killed, then we wouldn't have armed soldiers in Afghanistan being killed in green on blue attacks, or armed police officers being shot in the head while they're in their car. How many people at that country concert in Las Vegas were armed? How many of them accurately returned fire on the guy?

Guns as self defense are a safety blanket for people who are afraid of the world. People who own them for that reason have nothing more than a solution that's looking for a problem. See: George Zimmerman and Treyvon Martin.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 19, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm not trying to single you out or poo poo on you in particular, godholio. I'm just tired of the bullshit in general. It's frustrating to watch family and friends report garbage memes, spout false equivalencies, build giant strawmen, etc all the time and it's just tiring constantly trying to tear down falsehoods and half-truths.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
another 1L in my class posted that people upset over shooting deaths who aren't upset about sugary food deaths are hypocrites and have an agenda. He's also notably one of the very few conservative members of our class.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not going to happen without a constitutional amendment. Until that's actually a real possibility, your fears are entirely unreasonable. If they tried to actually take arms, the SCOTUS is not going to suddenly flip back on Heller.

There's no reason to wait until things are at or past the tipping point.

quote:

I bolded the important part. I understand the need for a guard to be armed, but you've never been in a situation at all where you would need to carry a weapon 24/7. Your friend's story, while tragic, probably would have been worse if he had a gun on him when he answered because he wasn't prepared to draw to fire right away anyways (being that they seem to have caught him off guard). He has a gun on him and he probably gets shot. Also, to this extent, do you carry your weapon ready to be drawn every single time you open the door? If not, then you're not actually protecting yourself with it.

Maybe. Maybe not.

quote:

I think this is a good start, but it's going to be insufficient on it's own. Expanded background checks wouldn't have stopped Cruz or Paddock.

Humans are trash. Extreme and brutal violence is not going to go away no matter what gun control efforts are enacted. Whether it's guns or driving into crowds, people who want to do this for whatever reason will find a way. To me, the more important issue is "why is this happening?" It's not happening because of the guns on the street. Gun ownership rates in this country have hovered around the same level since we were colonies, as borne out by numerous historians that decided to fact-check Michael Bellesiles' Arming America. So if we've always had the guns, why haven't we always had the shootings? It's not because of "high capacity" magazines, it's not because of semi-automatic machinery. It's not because of picatinny rails or pistol grips.

psydude posted:

Yeah? Do you think he would have had time to run to his room, pull his weapon out of his safe, load it, and put rounds on those guys? Or do you walk around your house constantly at the low ready waiting for a threat. How about when you're taking a poo poo? When you're at the gym? What about when you're at the grocery store?

If guns were an instant remedy to getting unexpectedly killed, then we wouldn't have armed soldiers in Afghanistan being killed in green on blue attacks, or armed police officers being shot in the head while they're in their car. How many people at that country concert in Las Vegas were armed? How many of them accurately returned fire on the guy?

Guns as self defense are a safety blanket for people who are afraid of the world. People who own them for that reason have nothing more than a solution that's looking for a problem. See: George Zimmerman and Treyvon Martin.

If I'm wearing my jeans, I'm typically armed. I bought the pants to fit with a belt and holster, so without them it's a loving disaster. If I'm in my Thanksgiving stretchy pants, I'll never tell :ninja:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Godholio posted:

Humans are trash. Extreme and brutal violence is not going to go away no matter what gun control efforts are enacted. Whether it's guns or driving into crowds, people who want to do this for whatever reason will find a way. To me, the more important issue is "why is this happening?" It's not happening because of the guns on the street. Gun ownership rates in this country have hovered around the same level since we were colonies, as borne out by numerous historians that decided to fact-check Michael Bellesiles' Arming America. So if we've always had the guns, why haven't we always had the shootings? It's not because of "high capacity" magazines, it's not because of semi-automatic machinery. It's not because of picatinny rails or pistol grips.

Societies change and sometimes what was once ok, acceptable and safe changes with it.

The Amish aren't allowed on highways with their carts after cars took over even though their religious beliefs dictate they use them. This is a restriction on two enumerated rights.

Accepting the fact that society did change and then denying that maybe things need to change with it seems like irrational thinking. You can change one side of the equation, but without a great cultural revolution the other side isn't going anywhere.

Granted that exact kind of thinking is the basis for a major political party.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

So then why do we not see these kind of massacres happening everywhere else in the anglosphere? Our contemporary countries have ostensibly the same issues that we have here. The mental health systems in other countries may be a bit better, but they're not so much better that they're catching every "trash" human you're talking about. So all of these other massacres should be occurring everywhere else in the world that doesn't have the weapons that we have, and yet they don't. There are one off attacks every year or two elsewhere in the modern world. In the USA we have a mass shooting every 60 days.

There is nothing that inherently makes USA peoples more violent than people anywhere else. No one is massacring school children with trucks, knives, or bombs in any of the rest of the world that's effectively disarmed despite the claim that this is the outcome.

The only statistically significant difference between the populations in the USA and people in Canada, UK, Australia, France, Italy, Germany, etc. that would explain the massive disparity in massacres between us and them is the firearm ownership rate. Violent crime and homicide rates drop almost exactly on par with the reduction in total number of weapons per person.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

So then why do we not see these kind of massacres happening everywhere else in the anglosphere? Our contemporary countries have ostensibly the same issues that we have here. The mental health systems in other countries may be a bit better, but they're not so much better that they're catching every "trash" human you're talking about. So all of these other massacres should be occurring everywhere else in the world that doesn't have the weapons that we have, and yet they don't. There are one off attacks every year or two elsewhere in the modern world. In the USA we have a mass shooting every 60 days.

There is nothing that inherently makes USA peoples more violent than people anywhere else. No one is massacring school children with trucks, knives, or bombs in any of the rest of the world that's effectively disarmed despite the claim that this is the outcome.

The only statistically significant difference between the populations in the USA and people in Canada, UK, Australia, France, Italy, Germany, etc. that would explain the massive disparity in massacres between us and them is the firearm ownership rate. Violent crime and homicide rates drop almost exactly on par with the reduction in total number of weapons per person.

You are ignoring a fairly important statistical difference in that the other anglosphere populations are historically more culturally and racially homogenous and have a longer history of being so. The disparity in Australia (90% white of European origin) and Britain (87%ish) to the US (72%ish overall) is a difference. The US has an entire race that isn't allowed to homogenize even now.

A similar population with shared history and frames of reference is more likely to act for the collective good and have less overall strife.

The US imported a huge mixture of cultures and races in a very short time frame while it's own domestic society was in it's beginnings. We didn't have thousands of years of history to draw from. We also didn't put in place any of the things to let a functioning collective society form because of the same reasons. gently caress that different guy is easier to say than gently caress that guy who resembles me.

Even now in those other anglo countries you are seeing mass casualty incidents with the tools available because the immigration wave is causing a cultural clash. Granted they are less successful because stabbing people is actually hard to do.

I'm not advocating shutting off immigration or anything dumb like that. It's that immigrant populations need to be welcomed into the dominant society ASAP and not allowed to founder as an underclass.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 19, 2018

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Jesus loving Christ our almost completely unrestricted hobby has a significant body count just loving admit it already

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Laranzu posted:

You are ignoring a fairly important statistical difference in that the other anglosphere populations are historically more culturally and racially homogenous and have a longer history of being so. The disparity in Australia (90% white of European origin) and Britain (87%ish) to the US (72%ish overall) is a difference. The US has an entire race that isn't allowed to homogenize even now.

A similar population with shared history and frames of reference is more likely to act for the collective good and have less overall strife.

The US imported a huge mixture of cultures and races in a very short time frame while it's own domestic society was in it's beginnings. We didn't have thousands of years of history to draw from. We also didn't put in place any of the things to let a functioning collective society form because of the same reasons. gently caress that different guy is easier to say than gently caress that guy who resembles me.

Even now in those other anglo countries you are seeing mass casualty incidents with the tools available because the immigration wave is causing a cultural clash. Granted they are less successful because stabbing people is actually hard to do.

I'm not advocating shutting off immigration or anything dumb like that. It's that immigrant populations need to be welcomed into the dominant society ASAP and not allowed to founder as an underclass.

are you

loving

kidding me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

They don't have mass casualties every 60 days and still have violent crime and homicide rates significantly smaller than ours (almost 1:1 in many cases with the number of weapons per person in the country). Yes there are one off terrorist events here and there everywhere else, but they do not happen with anything remotely close to the frequency that we have mass shootings. There primary difference between us and the rest of them is we have 3-5x or significantly more weapons per person and have such ease of access there might as well not be any laws restricting gun sales at all.

Also nice subtle way of saying "it's all immigrants' fault"

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

Jesus loving Christ our almost completely unrestricted hobby has a significant body count just loving admit it already

Because then you need to admit that your killing tools could be used to kill things and maybe not everyone should be allowed that power (maybe that person could even be you)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

are you

loving

kidding me

Are you trying to argue that a homogenous collective population isn't less likely to kill each other?

Edit: Mr. Nice: Jesus gently caress did you read anything? It's not the immigrants fault is the fault of the dominant population for being shitheads and causing them to be an economically stressed at risk underclass

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Are you trying to argue that a homogenous collective population isn't less likely to kill each other?

So what you're saying is the problem is minorities?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

See above

Edit: moved down to the next one

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 19, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I read what you posted and you said that the primary explanation as to why there aren't massacres in those places is their homogeneous race and then said that they're having an upswing in attacks because they have a larger immigrant population.

I'm not saying you meant it that way, but that's the way it reads. Also a lot of these massacres are white americans killing white americans, so that doesn't hold water either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean I'm with you, no war but class war, but that isn't what you posted originally said.

But the haves vs the have nots isn't a full explanation. Not to the extent that we have such a disproportionate number of massacres. There isn't such a large disparity here between other comparable countries.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

When you control for all possible explanations for the disparity in the number of attacks here vs the rest of the world, only one factor sticks out. We're still high when you control for number of private weapons in the populace.

I have no doubt that if we had the same weapons rate as other countries that we would still have higher violent crime and homicide rates for all the enumerated reasons before (class struggles, mental health, criminal justice system, etc. are worse than the rest) but they are not so different that they explain the massive disparity in frequency of mass casualties et all here in the USA. The only difference that even remotely stands out is the 1.01 guns we have per person when the highest of any of them are at 0.3 (and all have violent crime/homicide rates 1/3 or lower than ours).

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I read what you posted and you said that the primary explanation as to why there aren't massacres in those places is their homogeneous race and then said that they're having an upswing in attacks because they have a larger immigrant population.

I'm not saying you meant it that way, but that's the way it reads. Also a lot of these massacres are white americans killing white americans, so that doesn't hold water either.

Less emphasis on race and more on culturally and shared historical frame of reference. I'll reread and see if I didn't have that clear enough.

This was also an edit above.

Edit: Any stressed section of society can cause these issues. The common thread in all of them is feeling like an outsider for whatever reason. 

What makes our society different in that regard? Why is the US so bad at building feelings of community? Why are levels of community engagement the lowest they have ever been?

We've been systematically dismantling the things that make a society function. As other countries do the same because they are afraid of immigrants, they see more violence. They just had a stronger base then we did.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

hey we have a poo poo ton of loving guns and they are really loving easy to get

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Less emphasis on race and more on culturally and shared historical frame of reference. I'll reread and see if I didn't have that clear enough.

This was also an edit above.

Edit: Any stressed section of society can cause these issues. The common thread in all of them is feeling like an outsider for whatever reason. 

What makes our society different in that regard? Why is the US so bad at building feelings of community? Why are levels of community engagement the lowest they have ever been?

We've been systematically dismantling the things that make a society function. As other countries do the same because they are afraid of immigrants, they see more violence. They just had a stronger base then we did.

Your average american is fungible with your average other anglo around the world. You could take basically any guy from anywhere USA and swap him with a brit, an aussie, a german, etc without trouble. There will be some minor cultural differences, but the peoples are fungible. There is plenty of community here in America. It was just 17 years ago that the majority of the country solidified under dubya because we are a strong community. And even if we're not, we're not in such a hosed up dystopia that explains the massive difference in frequency of massacres here vs anywhere else.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I really would say that our "rugged individualistic" upbringing as a country is the root of our violence issue, as well as our gun fetish to go with it.

It stopped the US from developing a cohesive collective culture that allows people to look at a neighbor that may be different and relate.

Can't fix that, so I'm on with get rid of the guns and try to unfuck the rest later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

I really would say that our "rugged individualistic" upbringing as a country is the root of our violence issue, as well as our gun fetish to go with it.

It stopped the US from developing a cohesive collective culture that allows people to look at a neighbor that may be different and relate.

Can't fix that, so I'm on with get rid of the guns and try to unfuck the rest later.

Other countries have that same "rugged individualistic" nature to an even more extreme. Have you ever met an aussie?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Smiling Jack posted:

hey we have a poo poo ton of loving guns and they are really loving easy to get

nonononono, obviously the issue runs deeper than that

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your average american is fungible with your average other anglo around the world. You could take basically any guy from anywhere USA and swap him with a brit, an aussie, a german, etc without trouble. There will be some minor cultural differences, but the peoples are fungible. There is plenty of community here in America. It was just 17 years ago that the majority of the country solidified under dubya because we are a strong community. And even if we're not, we're not in such a hosed up dystopia that explains the massive difference in frequency of massacres here vs anywhere else.

From a straight economic perspective they are. Taking a person from their known cultural environment and doing that will cause some fantastic issues of loneliness which increases the risk of all kinds of great mental issues.

Our community came together around a tragedy, because it was a direct attack on our rugged strong individualistic tenets. It quickly turned to revenge and xenophobia for large segments of the society.

I was trying to find the data regarding community engagement feelings but I'm on mobile and (lol) all I could find was data on marketing to communities and brand loyalty. Which is the problem. Replacing engagement with hyper targeted faceless entities trying to extract money. The recent successes of the small batch/craft/quality over quantity movement is the backlash to this. Trying to bring the sense of local back and redevelop the ties among members.

The shootings being white on white don't matter. The shooter was still feeling like an outsider and couldn't relate to anyone enough to see them as people.

The gun fetish and absolutely bonkers amount of firearms didn't come out of a vacuum. The need to be strapped to feel safe and empowered didn't come from the guns either. It was driven by something in American culture. Something we're not going to fix first so we might as well limit the firearms.

I'll drop it at this. Since my thumbs are tired, I should be sleeping, and thoughts are better organized when not swiping on a touchscreen.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 19, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What I'm saying is that there are people isolated just like Nick Cruz everywhere in the anglosphere. There may be more in the USA, but not so many more that it explains the massive disparity in numbers of massacres here vs there. It's still at best a minor contribution and quite possibly a completely irrelevant distinction.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Because then you need to admit that your killing tools could be used to kill things and maybe not everyone should be allowed that power (maybe that person could even be you)

Hi, welcome to a conversation where we're kind of past the point of strawmen I thought.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes, this is the point. :downs: This intentional misinterpretation of pretty simple statements and the other bullshit is getting old. If you can't have a goddamned conversation without resorting to that poo poo, just don't try.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Yes, this is the point. :downs: This intentional misinterpretation of pretty simple statements and the other bullshit is getting old. If you can't have a goddamned conversation without resorting to that poo poo, just don't try.

His point came across poorly. I didn't stretch anything to a crazy extreme. There wasn't any deliberate misrepresentation. And I've been civilly and thoroughly breaking down why each point that everyone has been bringing up is invalid. It's old having to repeat myself over and over, though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

psydude posted:

Uh, excuse me, Dan "Most Dangerous SEAL MAN" Bilzerian was there, and he only couldn't return fire because the cops wouldn't give him their gun :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bd3qgLsqJs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

What I'm saying is that there are people isolated just like Nick Cruz everywhere in the anglosphere. There may be more in the USA, but not so many more that it explains the massive disparity in numbers of massacres here vs there. It's still at best a minor contribution and quite possibly a completely irrelevant distinction.

Ok one more. I think we're arguing past each other. You're on massacres specifically. I'm on cause of people wanting to do it. Maybe?

What makes American outsiders just that much better that they can depersonalize and want to harm people?

If our outsiders and other anglo outsiders are functionally the same, why do the other countries not have the same rates of violence (not mass killings) stemming from them?

If they are equally good at being outsiders in their community with no ties and unable to relate to anyone we should be seeing them driven to similar levels of violence against populations they feel deserving.

Granted ours can get guns much easier. That's a given as to why mass murder is common here. Stabbing people is hard.

Also granted this leaves a huge opening for you to say it's the amount of guns where I say the guns are a symptom.

Always do enjoy your arguments though. Just always run into them on mobile at night.

• Locked thread