Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wish you could bind a sector to a control group so you could easily switch through all its planets. Selecting sector planets is one of the most annoying thing to do in this game, since the only way to do so is through the map or using one of your 10 control groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pigbuster posted:

I wish you could bind a sector to a control group so you could easily switch through all its planets. Selecting sector planets is one of the most annoying thing to do in this game, since the only way to do so is through the map or using one of your 10 control groups.

Press f5 to bring up sector management. Expand the sector. Click the planet icon to go straight to it. It remembers where you were in the list when you next press f5.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

darthbob88 posted:

Although as long as we're talking about the game of spreadsheets in space, I'd legitimately appreciate some way to look at all the planets in my empire directly. Like, the Planets and Sectors menus has a list of core planets and the other planets in sectors, so if I want the largest producer of minerals/energy/whatever, that would best benefit from a planetary edict, I need to open each sector and browse through each sector's list of planets, and it'd be nice if I can just get a single combined list of all those planets. Admittedly, this is going to be very different in a week, so this complaint might not be relevant.

In 2.0, resource-boosting edicts are being turned into empire-wide instead of planet-specific edicts specifically because it was a pain in the rear end passing edicts around where they would do the most good. So yeah, this specific need should be mostly irrelevant come the patch.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Are there any "gotchas" to be aware of when fooling around with user_empire_designs.txt? The whitespace doesn't matter at all, right? I'm thinking about some tinkering.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I really do enjoy the range of content and, I suppose, environmental hostility of Aurora, definitely something I would like more of in Stellaris and terrain effects/FTL changes are a nice step towards that. I already play with habitable worlds turned right down and the new claim mechanics are going to really help with that. Stuff that makes terraforming/world types more in depth would be neat (I like Alphamod's changes to them quite a lot, with worlds having unique biome resources and much more variety in what's habitable, plus having extreme colonization of gas giants and volcanic worlds and such) and Real Space is going to be awesome with having to cross systems to get to other jump points.

I think Stellaris is most fun when you're working with limited tech and resources so basically my ideal direction for the game is to further restrict your ability to turn into a late game empire that can terraform everything and see everything and go everywhere. Variable tech trees, in-navigable areas of space, low level crises and hostiles to make expansion harder and create pockets of resistance later in the game, all sorts of stuff like that. PvE stellaris would honestly be pretty fun for me.

If I've one complaint it's that it's way too easy to stick a flag in space and call it done. I like strategy games where just doing that is an accomplishment.

We're of one mind. I don't really know how you'd do it in a game of this scale but I would definitely like a more involved and developed process of colonization and terraforming. Still, that hasn't been a priority to date and I'm confident in time the Paradox team will figure something out (assuming they agree it needs work of course) just as they have and are with other stuff!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Just click on the sector icon on the outliner. It will toggle between every planet in the sector every time you click it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

binge crotching posted:

Just click on the sector icon on the outliner. It will toggle between every planet in the sector every time you click it.

1287 loving hours and I never knew this :stonk:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

:shepface:

Every time I've whined in this thread it's paid off. Thanks!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If I've just got the base game, which expansions should I consider?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Synthbuttrange posted:

Utopia first, then leviathans, then the robits one.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Might put waiting for Thursday and getting Apocalypse above Synthetic Dawn, at least. Unless you really like robits.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah. Apocalypse will probably be the most important DLC when it comes out. OTOH, the older DLC are on sale.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"We're currently unable to process any payments from your region. We apologize for any inconvenience"

:saddowns:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm jonesin for the 'laris real bad you guys.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

GotLag posted:

"We're currently unable to process any payments from your region. We apologize for any inconvenience"

:saddowns:

Good, you drat Spuxulacs stay out of Terra videogames :argh:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yeah. Apocalypse will probably be the most important DLC when it comes out. OTOH, the older DLC are on sale.
I disagree. Utopia will probably still be more useful imo.

quote:

- Planetary destruction – Ability to construct a special late-game planet-killer ship nicknamed "Colossus", a technological super-weapon that can shatter entire worlds.
- Titan class ships – Players are now capable of building strong capital-sized ships that offer tremendous bonuses to vessels under their command.
- Ion cannons – Starbases can deploy expensive defense modules that hit targets on the other side of the system with a powerful attack.
- Marauders – The galaxy can now spawn nomadic empires on the fringes of the galaxy that raid settled nations. Players can hire mercenary generals and admirals from them and order a raid on a rival if relations are high enough. There is also a chance these scattered hordes coalesce into a unified force, potentially triggering a mid-game crisis event.
- Unity ambitions – More civics and ascension perks as well as new ways to spend unity to customize empire development.
1, 2, and 3 are all just fancy late-game toys. 4 and 5 are the only ones that meaningfully change gameplay.

Compare that to:

quote:

- Megastructures: Build wondrous structures in your systems including Dyson Spheres and ring worlds, bringing both prestige and major advantages to your race.
- Habitat Stations: Build “tall” and establish space stations that will house more population, serving the role of planets in a small and confined empire.
- Ascension Perks: Collect Unity points and adopt Traditions to unlock Ascension Perks that allow you to customize your empire in unique ways. Follow one of the three Ascension Paths and achieve Biological Mastery, give up your biological forms in a Synthetic Evolution, or unlock the full psionic potential of your species through Transcendence.
- Purge and Slavery Types: Further define the different treatment and purging options of species.
- Native Indoctrination: Help pre-FTL species think in the right way, your way!
- Advanced Civics: Go to the extreme with choosing either Syncretic Evolution, Mechanist or Fanatic Purifiers.
- Hive Minds: Tired of ethics? Become one with yourself!
The megastructures are late-game toys, but everything else adds features that change the game in some pretty big ways. (the "basic" Ascension Perks are being added to the base game in 2.0)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Unity ambitions are also late game, they get unlocked by Ascension Theory.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Apocalypse is definitely going to get the Art of War treatment where the DLC content gets conflated with what the free patch provided.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

Here's what all the DLC add ***contains spoilers*** How these will impact your game (in order of release):

Nova and Galaxy Edition: Nova gets you a spider portrait and the music, as well as all the new music as it comes out. Galaxy gets that and a bunch of other non-game stuff I don't have so can't vouch for. I will vouch the hell out of that spider portrait though. Upgrade packs regularly goes on sale for about $4 and $12 respectively on Steam.

Leviathans: Provides a lot of early and mid-game story and mechanical content. Every game you play after installing Leviathans will in some way be impacted by having Leviathans. Definitely one to get if you've been playing a while, skippable if you haven't played much and want to save it for a later boost to replayability (or get it on sale and disable it from the DLC section of the Launcher). Regularly goes on sale for 50% off.

Plantoids: Purely cosmetic DLC. Cosmetic DLC is really good in this game though. You get a bunch of portraits for making races with and a whole new set of ship styles, and LordMune has said they'll get their own versions of the Apocalypse ships too. Regularly goes on sale for 50% off, worth it for the Venus Fly Trap portrait alone.

Utopia: Provides new empire policies and civics and a huge amount of early, mid, and late game content and an entirely new kind of empire. Will have a huge impact on every game, even ones where you're not playing as Hive Minds. Frequently goes on sale for 50% off.

Note: The above three are frequently eligible for the 3 for 2 deals on the Paradox website, including right now! They're also on sale! Get all three for $15! Buy Buy Buy! None of them are mandatory and you won't miss them if you don't have them, but they're what I personally consider "The base game" at this point.

Synthetic Dawn: Like Utopia, it adds a new empire type (Robot Hive Minds) and some new story content, but most of the mechanical and story content is Robot Empire specific. There's a couple of very cool things that might show up in a regular empire or hive mind game, but for the most part if you're not playing a robot empire you're not really playing Synthetic Dawn. What you do get for your regular playthroughs are some robot portraits and a whole bunch of very cool new voicepacks to replace your Advisor with, themed around the different ethics. Definitely worth the money, but imo a sidegrade rather than an upgrade. Is currently on sale for 15% off, give Wiz your money, come on, do it.

Humanoids: See Plantoids. It's got space orcs and space elves in it, and three additional VIR voices. Too new to be going on sale yet.

Apocalypse: It's not out yet, what do you want from me. Seems to be mainly endgame content, with some mid-game non-guaranteed content like with Synthetic Dawn's.

Buy from the Paradox store if possible, they go on sale more often there and buying from there means more money directly into Paradox's pocket. You get a Steam activation key with your purchase so it will work fine with a Steam or Humble Bundle bought base copy. Also, if you have a DLC, and you host a game, your friends can use it! And then want it! And then buy it!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 18, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The review embargo ends tomorrow so expect to see a lot of Youtube videos and twitch streams.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Demiurge4 posted:

The review embargo ends tomorrow so expect to see a lot of Youtube videos and twitch streams.

Fuckers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thursday can't come soon enough.

Tempted to try and pull a double shift on Thursday so I can finish early Friday.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Wiz I'd like to review your game plz

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OwlFancier posted:

Thursday can't come soon enough.

Tempted to try and pull a double shift on Thursday so I can finish early Friday.

My schedule sucks this week. Until eight Thursday, then full days Friday and Saturday. Sorry, Stellaris. :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wiz if you give me an early copy to review I can promise you an absolutely... Stellar score. It'll just be... out of this world. :smug:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Grad school has been swamping me lately, but if I can get in a good amount of work Thursday/Friday then after work on Saturday I’m probably going to play literally all night, considering how addicting I currently find Stellaris.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I, on the other hand, have no school after Wednesday and my clinical skills class is ending so I have most if not all of the weekend free for Stellaris. :smug:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What are some interesting civilization choices looking like for Apocalypse multiplayer?

I haven’t played Stellaris since 1.5 Utopia. Apocalypse is drawing me in with the promise of planet-destroyers and defensible hyperlanes, and some friends are looking at doing a multiplayer game that I may join if I have the time. But I’ve never done multiplayer, and my usual play style is pause-heavy, which I obviously can’t do in MP, and very tall and turtle-y and reactionary – roleplaying as malevolent enigmatic elder races like Freespace 2 Shivans or Babylon 5 Shadows was my thing in single-player. Are there any MP-newbie-friendly Apocalypse-compatible strategies I should consider which would either fit with that sort of play style, or would be good for learning something else in a realtime environment?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I wish there was a freespace 2 mod that gave beam weapons a lot more oomf. I know that's unrealistic since stellaris involves gigantic fleets but we need more games like that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kestral posted:

What are some interesting civilization choices looking like for Apocalypse multiplayer?

I haven’t played Stellaris since 1.5 Utopia. Apocalypse is drawing me in with the promise of planet-destroyers and defensible hyperlanes, and some friends are looking at doing a multiplayer game that I may join if I have the time. But I’ve never done multiplayer, and my usual play style is pause-heavy, which I obviously can’t do in MP, and very tall and turtle-y and reactionary – roleplaying as malevolent enigmatic elder races like Freespace 2 Shivans or Babylon 5 Shadows was my thing in single-player. Are there any MP-newbie-friendly Apocalypse-compatible strategies I should consider which would either fit with that sort of play style, or would be good for learning something else in a realtime environment?

The patch that's coming out is totally revamping basically everything about how the game is played so I suspect we'll all be learning new strategies

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dreylad posted:

I wish there was a freespace 2 mod that gave beam weapons a lot more oomf. I know that's unrealistic since stellaris involves gigantic fleets but we need more games like that.

that would be freaking amazing.

although we are getting titan beams and ion cannons

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This is bullshit. I conquer some annoying xenos, and want to empty one of their planets because it's in an inconvenient spot. But I can't relocate the pops off the planet I want to clear, because the planets I want to move them to had land appropriated, and you can't resettle pops to planets with the land appropriated flag set.

So my empire has forced out inhabitants to use the land for its own ends, but isn't allowed to use that land for the ends I have in mind :psyduck:

Oh, it's because you can resettle citizens or slaves to planets with appropriated land, but only those two types - residents aren't allowed :downs:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 19, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Am playing some machine empire. Own about 1/3 of the galaxy, one other big rival and one I'm sort of neutrals with.. Then a fallen empire awakens, demands me to be a vassal and wipes the floor with my rival and subjugated us both.

Then a ghost signal event happened and oh my god there are super robots in my systems help

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Splicer posted:

DLC post

Good post.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
arumba is up playing the new 2.0 xpac - https://www.twitch.tv/arumba07

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Quill18 is firing up an rear end in a top hat cat empire run of apoc on youtube. :radcat:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I got 3 seconds into that video and had to shut it off. That man should not be broadcasting his voice in any manner.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Afriscipio posted:

I got 3 seconds into that video and had to shut it off. That man should not be broadcasting his voice in any manner.

:yeah: his voice is almost uniquely awful, it's an amazing thing

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Afriscipio posted:

He didn't used to be that bad. Years ago he was just a mostly normal enthusiastic nerd who would play strategy games, but when a youtuber gets bigger they have to, by youtube law, put on some sort of insufferable voice/character. So he just sort of turned his poo poo up to 11 and now you have the quill voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Afriscipio posted:

Eh, Tomato, Potato. Have Aavak instead. Maybe better, maybe worse. ;)

• Locked thread