Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

extremely tilting that jace's phantasm is not a spirit, unlike Kataki, War's Wage

Uh excuse me I don't play bad cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

My name is Commander Shepard and this is my favorite post on the Citadel

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Bant Spirits

this guy gets it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

just bad decks

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Turns beats Lantern and Tron very well.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I finally took the garbage Nebelghast Heralds out of my Bant Spirits deck and switched to the standard Geist of St. Traft version. At the end of the day you're playing a three mana 2/1 in modern, and I kept getting destroyed by cards like Darkblast. I predict that the Jacepocalypse is going to be very good for this deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wonder if Merfolk will make a tiny upswing to punish decks playing with Islands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

I wonder if Merfolk will make a tiny upswing to punish decks playing with Islands.

It probably depends if they’re running Terminus or not

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

uninverted posted:

I finally took the garbage Nebelghast Heralds out of my Bant Spirits deck and switched to the standard Geist of St. Traft version. At the end of the day you're playing a three mana 2/1 in modern, and I kept getting destroyed by cards like Darkblast. I predict that the Jacepocalypse is going to be very good for this deck.

I turned my 1 Herald into a Jace because whatever. Wtf were you playing that you had multiple Heralds and not 4 Geists?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

It probably depends if they’re running Terminus or not

I don't know how to beat a Terminus that doesn't involve Mutavault or getting lucky.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I just got to play some Modern with the UB faeries deck with Jace, I gotta say, feels so drat good to play with my faeries cards, not to mention brainstorming in modern, feels so loving good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Star Man posted:

I don't know how to beat a Terminus that doesn't involve Mutavault or getting lucky.

They can Terminus on your turn after you activate Mutavault(s) if they're clever with cantrips

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I was watching Jim Davis' stream where he was testing Jace turbo lands and he ran across a 4 color Jace/bloodbraid control shell that looks awesome. I'm trying to piece the list together.

Anyone have one? It looks pretty straight forward.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 18, 2018

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was watching Jim Davis' stream where he was testing Jace turbo landa and he ran across a 4 color Jace/vloosbraid control she'll that looks awesome. I'm trying to piece thenluat together.

Anyone have one? It looks pretty straight forward.

What cards did you see? I've been on the lookout for a list I came across in a different stream that looked like Jace/BBE 4c Control - felt a lot like a modern take on Czech Pile.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Walked posted:

What cards did you see? I've been on the lookout for a list I came across in a different stream that looked like Jace/BBE 4c Control - felt a lot like a modern take on Czech Pile.

It is basically that.

The cards I saw were
Jace
Lilly veil
Lilly hope
Goyf
Snap
Tasigur
BBE
K command
Fatal push
Bolt
Denial
TSeize
Scooze
Tracker
Dark Bob
Ancestral visions

That's about it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

can that deck ever beat a lava spike?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It is basically that.

The cards I saw were
Jace
Lilly veil
Lilly hope
Goyf
Snap
Tasigur
BBE
K command
Fatal push
Bolt
Denial
TSeize
Scooze
Tracker
Dark Bob
Ancestral visions

That's about it.

I so badly want to see a 4c Pile list work. The Mana is sooooo rough in modern though

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Walked posted:

I so badly want to see a 4c Pile list work. The Mana is sooooo rough in modern though

Well in going to take one to modern tomorrow.

2 Jace
2 lilly veil
2 lilly hope

4 snapcaster
3 Bob
3 goyf
3 BBE
2 Tasigur

4 kolagans
3 TSeize
4 push
2 bolt
3 ancestral
1 Azcanta

2 island
2 swamp
1 forest
3 verdant
3 polluted
1 tarn
1 mire
2 watery grave
2 overgrown
1 blood crypt
1 steam vent
1 breeding pool
2 field of ruin

SB
2 disdainful stroke
2 ceremonius rejection
4 leyline void
2 coll brutality
1 damnation
2 pulse
2 kozileks return

It's probably going to suck but we will see.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'd rather be running Radiant Flames over Kozilek's Return in a 4c pile.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

AlternateNu posted:

I like it being an instant to hold up answers

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elyv posted:

can that deck ever beat a lava spike?

absolutely not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
With more Co Brus it probably can

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like it being an instant to hold up answers

You only have 14 instant speed cards in the deck, and four of them are Snap. This isn't Jeskai Control. You're going to be tapping out a lot, and the difference between 2 and 4 damage is huge.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

*casts Bloodbraid Elf*
*cascades into Radiant Flames*

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

DurdleDuck posted:

*casts Bloodbraid Elf*
*cascades into Radiant Flames*

Slightly worse than cascading into Mishra's Bauble.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Thisuck posted:

Slightly worse than cascading into Mishra's Bauble.

But only very very slightly.

Edit: also how can I cast radiant flames for 4 anyway? Hope my opponent has a thalia?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 19, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does Modern Death and Taxes/Hatebears still run one or two singleton Swords Of X & Y? Feel like I used to see lists with them but haven't in a while.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Does Modern Death and Taxes/Hatebears still run one or two singleton Swords Of X & Y? Feel like I used to see lists with them but haven't in a while.

The midrange deck where it was most relevant (Jund) runs like 5 mainboard answers to it now.

KoCo killed equipment pretty dead.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

return killing etched champion is a thing

i would still probably lean towards anger

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Potential UB Faeries list with JTMS here. Jace makes late game discard/leaks much less problematic and between all your random fliers and Tar Pit you should be quite good at killing opposing Jaces. You also no longer need to play any Snapcaster Mages which means you can get away with playing more Mistbind Cliques which improves your big mana matchups - matchups that will probably become more common now that people are going to be playing more Jund/Uxx decks that tend to fold to big mana strategies. The sideboard is spaghetti on a wall and includes some somewhat experimental things but it's worth a shot. Let me know if y'all see any notable exclusions or have any ideas for what might be good in the deck.

I changed up the list a bit and this is what I'm gonna try this coming friday
https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/922075-jace-is-a-faerie/en

Well it's either that or this, haven't tried this in action yet, added the Smuggler's Copters, Eldrazi Displacer, and swole Thalia.
https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/922066-thalia-get-to-da-choppa-

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 19, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

The midrange deck where it was most relevant (Jund) runs like 5 mainboard answers to it now.

KoCo killed equipment pretty dead.

Oh yeah whoops, nevermind.

Got a guy on Deckbox offering to trade me a playset of FNM Bloodbraid Elves but I was going to pick up a SofaI from him instead because $23 per BBE is a lot! But maybe I will just get neither.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 19, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to cast Villainous Wealth in Modern. Also decided to be lazy and just slap them into a GB Tron shell and save 75% of the decks cost by not buying the planeswalkers. Current hot pile of 💩 is as follows:

4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Expedition Map
3 Oblivion Stone
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Terrarion

1 Emrakul, the Promised End
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Void Winnower
2 Oblivion Sower
1 Endbringer
1 World Breaker

2 Fatal Push
1 Scour from Existence

2 Forest
1 Blooming Marsh
2 Llanowar Wastes
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
1 Mana Confluence
1 Sanctum of Ugin

4 Ancient Stirrings
4 Sylvan Scrying
3 Villainous Wealth
1 Torment of Hailfire

//Sideboard
3 Thragtusk
2 Seal of Primordium
2 Nature's Claim
1 Swamp
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Duress
2 Black Sun's Zenith
2 Mistcutter Hydra

The store was out of Wurmcoil and All is Dust so I threw in Endbringer and Scour for the time being.

First night out with it, I stole a Geist from a spirits player, confused the ever loving hell out of a lantern player (and then milled him out with a Wealth for half his remaining deck into using his stuff on him), didn't quite get there against Jeskai control, black sunned a hardened scales deck away then later wealth'd Metallic Mimic and two Hangarbacks (meaning I got to play his game), and lost to mono black devotion despite one wealth giving me Flip Lilly, Nighthawk, Erebos, Whip, and the previous turn's Oblivion Sower getting me a Nykthos

I mean I went 2-3 for the night due to misplays bad luck and bad deck but goodness gracious it was a hoot

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

no

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I tried to but it just ends getting KoCo 2 for 1ed every time. Even though I really like the Swords, I just leave them out now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Quick trip report of Bloodbraid Jace.

R1 abzan company
G1 I stall out after going after his hand and dropping a Jace turn 5 with a goyf and Bob on the table. I get double pathed and Jace dies as I draw multiple removals but he hits Coco, witness, Coco and wins out.

G2 I bloobraid into lilly then Jace then bounce my Bloodbraid then visions then kill everything he has and win.

G3 I get stuck on two lands and die to the beats

R2 slow infect
G1 he turn 4 kills me with his 3rd inkmoth a become immense and a blossoming defense.

G2 I value out both lilly and a Jace and grind through with 3 goyfs and every removal spell I have.

G3 stuck on 3 lands but only one black source with 4 lillys in my hand. I die to a double rancored infecter and a become immense

R3 bye I drop as it's now an 11 man tourney.

All in all fun but the manbase needs work and I need a few tar pits to close out.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Looks like eternal weekend deets are up (well some anyway)

https://twitter.com/Card_Titan/status/965809850004451328

e; twitter plugin doing a great job here with those images

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Nice. That convention center is a nice venue. Tons of parking, actually downtown instead of near an airport in some suburban hellscape, huge space, plenty of bathrooms. It's like a better Baltimore.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Edit: also how can I cast radiant flames for 4 anyway? Hope my opponent has a thalia?

tribal flames, on the other hand...

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Is this a bad deck if I want to play Modern on a budget?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/951892#online

I would love to play this too:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/951913#online

but I would need to buy into all the cards.

I am considering getting back into MTGO since I don't really have time to make it to a lgs, so this would also be a good opportunity to talk me out of that horrible program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Yoked posted:

Is this a bad deck if I want to play Modern on a budget?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/951892#online

I would love to play this too:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/951913#online

but I would need to buy into all the cards.

I am considering getting back into MTGO since I don't really have time to make it to a lgs, so this would also be a good opportunity to talk me out of that horrible program.

Someone in the main thread said they didn't understand why anyone would want to play that first list, but the second one you posted is rad as hell and I really want to build it as well. I just want an excuse to play Lightning Helix again.

I also really want to play this Naya Eldritch Evolution list that was part of the same decklist dump.