Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lmao holy poo poo the m700 carbon at the meat locker this week :stoked:

Roll of elevated for brutal?

Some other good picks this week:

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Jose Oquendo posted:

Brutual is very marginal gains on an mmr

Buy like 8 since it's just cash and roll one with competent in the free, one with destructive in the free, one with disciplined instead of prepared, one with disciplined instead of deadly, one with disciplined in the free, I mean, the thing is a loving dream and basically any slot is rerollable for a good sniper playstyle.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah and I think there's a decent vx-1 this week too. Sniper week.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lmao holy poo poo the m700 carbon at the meat locker this week :stoked:

this is possibly the best rolled weapon I've ever seen at a vendor, holy poo poo

Jose Oquendo posted:

:mediocre:

brutal on an MMR is, maybe, ~4% actual damage due to how that adds up with the native HSD. Elevated is 10% real damage. Brutal on MMRs: Not Even Once.

8th-snype posted:

Cool. Thanks, there's just a ton of info to absorb after not playing this game since before sets were even a thing.

It's really tough, all jokes aside, to try and keep track of the ten thousand exceptions to every rule this game has.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 17, 2018

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Jose Oquendo posted:

Brutal ends up not adding all that much to sniper rifles ( since they already come such a high score). Probably better off with Destructive or Ferocious.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 17, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Depending on what you're going to use it for you might even roll off Deadly.

Edit: Or, you know, get 2 (or 3, or 4).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I had no idea Brutal didn't do much for MMRs. I ended up going with Destructive. Thanks!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had no idea Brutal didn't do much for MMRs. I ended up going with Destructive. Thanks!

Look at it this way, which you can apply to basically all weapons. You've got 172% headshot damage on the rifle that does 100,000 damage, 172,000 damage. Add two 18.5% headshot mods, 209% - 209,000 damage. Add 12% headshot damage, 221% - 221,000 damage.

But different damage types (Headshot/Critical Hit damage, EAD, DTE, All Weapon Damage, certain talents) get multiplied together instead of being added to each other

So take the damage you do with the headshot mods, 209,000. Instead of adding 12% headshot damage to the 209% you multiply 209,000 damage by 15% - 240,350 damage.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Damage is additive within a category and multiplicative across categories, so generally the best result by "get as much of as many categories as possible" because multiplicative will result in higher overall output for the same percentages.

Really if you're going to watch one marco video ever, the one where he breaks this down with a really nice visualization is the one. Damage calculation is ridiculously opaque otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukt_wCxWbc0

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 17, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lost a Warlord to the DZ, but gained a Ninjabike (later) :dance:.

I'd like to try a shotgun/smg build. What's the hotness in shotguns these days? I have an autoshotgun with pretty good perks but it just shoots too goddamn slow.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

if you think the Showstopper shoots too slowly I'm not sure what else is gonna work because it's the fastest firing shotgun in the game, iirc

failing that the SASG-12 (works with everything) and Super 90 (lone star best) are the only other options worth discussing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Psion posted:

failing that the SASG-12 (works with everything) and Super 90 (lone star best) are the only other options worth discussing.

Its a SASG-12. I think I need to throw some more stabilization on it, maybe that fancy extended mag from the Grindhouse this week.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

Super 90 (lone star best)
Just lol if you don't enjoy the thrill of reloading 16 shells into your shotgun, one at a time. RIP the good ol' days when the reload stat bar on the UI would go backwards.

Also going to use this opportunity to be salty again about Massive smashing the 870 into the dirt because it was too powerful in PvP :mad:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All video game shotguns must suffer because the people that complain about them really complain about them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Insert name here posted:

Just lol if you don't enjoy the thrill of reloading 16 shells into your shotgun, one at a time. RIP the good ol' days when the reload stat bar on the UI would go backwards.

Also going to use this opportunity to be salty again about Massive smashing the 870 into the dirt because it was too powerful in PvP :mad:

6 shots is exhilarating, 16 is awful :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

6 shots is exhilarating, 16 is awful :v:
I'd fire back with a witty comeback but I'm still reloading after that last post

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kibayasu posted:

All video game shotguns must suffer because the people that complain about them really complain about them.

The 500 Tactical in Vegas 2 was so sweet, I got so many angry messages on XBL using that thing to snipe people pretty much across maps.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

The 500 Tactical in Vegas 2 was so sweet, I got so many angry messages on XBL using that thing to snipe people pretty much across maps.

I played quite a bit of Vegas 2 on XBL and got so many angry kids because I blasted them blindfiring them with my Spas-12. Was hilarious to see them running towards me without knowing that a shotgun was about to pop out and rip their head off.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
So after having to deal with -14 C temps this morning I completely understand why your agent can only stay outside at -30 C for about 2 minutes in a bio hazard suit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rick_Hunter posted:

So after having to deal with -14 C temps this morning I completely understand why your agent can only stay outside at -30 C for about 2 minutes in a bio hazard suit.

I can only hope you had to light a trash can fire like a hobo.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rick_Hunter posted:

How long did it take you to scavenge enough discarded clothing to survive?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

How long did it take you to scavenge enough discarded clothing to survive?

15 dead rioters later I managed to make a thermal clown suit.

Casual slacks - 3° resist
Gas station stretch gloves - 2° resist
Worn black hoodie - 8° resist
Land's End jacket - 16° resist
Casual walking shoes - 2° resist

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My friends god bless their stupid idiot hearts wanted to go rogue on EVERY player we encountered in the DZ last night which lost me a Big Alejandro which I was kind of excited for since I like the one I have but its stats aren't great.

So if you picked it up in The Boiler last night after you killed me, could I uh... Have it back?

Please?

:(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

iSheep posted:

My friends god bless their stupid idiot hearts wanted to go rogue on EVERY player we encountered in the DZ last night which lost me a Big Alejandro which I was kind of excited for since I like the one I have but its stats aren't great.

So if you picked it up in The Boiler last night after you killed me, could I uh... Have it back?

Please?

:(

I mean you could always leave the group but it sounds like your friends might have just gone rogue on you anyways :v:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It was their first time playing since 1.6 so I just wanted the kiddos to have fun.

Kind of like taking your children/niblings to Disneyland.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Insert name here posted:

I keep a sixteen round Meticulous Super 90 SBS on my Striker build :unsmigghh:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

I keep a sixteen round Meticulous Super 90 SBS on my Striker build :unsmigghh:

Oh jeez, Meticulous would be pretty nice on a shotgun

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
:siren: PSA: PC Gold Edition $36 bucks @ humblebundle.com. Price valid for the next 5 days 22 hrs or so.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tom-clancys-the-division-gold-edition

So I have a Super 90 and a Tac Super 90 sitting here, one is Fierce/Deadly/Ferocious and the other is Sustained/Ferocious/Predatory. Using those two guns, what would be a good 2 pc to go with a 4pc no-Ninja Lone Star ?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MREBoy posted:

:siren: PSA: PC Gold Edition $36 bucks @ humblebundle.com. Price valid for the next 5 days 22 hrs or so.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tom-clancys-the-division-gold-edition

So I have a Super 90 and a Tac Super 90 sitting here, one is Fierce/Deadly/Ferocious and the other is Sustained/Ferocious/Predatory. Using those two guns, what would be a good 2 pc to go with a 4pc no-Ninja Lone Star ?

Are either of those guns re-rollable? Assuming its for PVE I'd start with putting Destructive on the second one.

If you want a 2 piece bonus to specifically help the shotguns shoot better then the 2 piece accuracy bonus from Sentry's Call helps a lot. Since you're using shell loaded shotguns you may also consider the Predator's Mark reload speed bonus though that's a fairly minor 10%.

If the 2 piece is just to help in general then (again assuming PVE) then Nomad's 15% health on kill is always helpful on a Firearms build and if you want to use skills like Pulse or First Aid more often there's the 2 piece Tacticians 15% skill haste.

And just as a general aside, looking at the first shotgun, I guess you'd want to build that as a crit shotgun (not exactly the greatest thing in the world but if you're using Lone Star you should have some CHC on your gloves/holster at the very least) but that popped a question into my head. I haven't used shotguns for a bit and I never noticed, if a shotgun crits does it crit for every pellet at once or does each pellet have its own crit chance?

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 20, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

Since you're using shell loaded shotguns you may also consider the Predator's Mark reload speed bonus though that's a fairly minor 10%.

I'd suggest first rolling reload speed on the holster, but then I do that for every build that involves firearms. That way you can have some reload speed and Sentry's accuracy buff, probably the best compromise?

e: oh wait Lone Star, never mind on reload. Take Sentry 2pc for +acc, murder.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 20, 2018

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
With a four piece Lonestar you could just swap weapons to reload, so the reload speed wouldn't be necessary. The other pieces work, though!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psion posted:

I'd suggest first rolling reload speed on the holster, but then I do that for every build that involves firearms. That way you can have some reload speed and Sentry's accuracy buff, probably the best compromise?

e: oh wait Lone Star, never mind on reload. Take Sentry 2pc for +acc, murder.

Ghostpilot posted:

With a four piece Lonestar you could just swap weapons to reload, so the reload speed wouldn't be necessary. The other pieces work, though!

Oh right, Lone Star is right there, I even typed it out. Duurr. Sentry's Call for accuracy if you want to improve the guns, Nomad if you want health, Tacticians if you want slightly faster skills. Probably in that order.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Oh jeez, Meticulous would be pretty nice on a shotgun

It's basically this, just with a flashbomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWq1Z-J-EE

:haw: Of course sometimes it doesn't proc in time or I miss and welp gotta shove all these shells in the tube please don't chase me as I run away!!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

It's basically this, just with a flashbomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWq1Z-J-EE

:haw: Of course sometimes it doesn't proc in time or I miss and welp gotta shove all these shells in the tube please don't chase me as I run away!!

Or, alternatively, 6 piece Lonestar + Showstopper!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No idea if this was mentioned somewhere but there's a small chance to get Classified items out of the cache boxes you can occasionally find in the Underground. Pulled a pair of Final Measure gloves out of one.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

No idea if this was mentioned somewhere but there's a small chance to get Classified items out of the cache boxes you can occasionally find in the Underground. Pulled a pair of Final Measure gloves out of one.
You can get exotics out of them too, but only (I believe) the ones with the fluorescent paint

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Roman posted:

You can get exotics out of them too, but only (I believe) the ones with the fluorescent paint

That's been my experience. Granted the times it has happened can be counted on one hand over several hundred hours of playing but they're in there! :haw:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Roman posted:

I always wondered if that paint meant anything.

JackOfferman
Jan 31, 2015
I have been playing survival a lot more for directives/commendations. I used to play it with a group of four in the past, but now I am running solo all the time. Its a great hour of fun, but man do I get drained after it and need a break. Since I am going for the Vulture commendation I have made quite a few people angry at me. I long for the days where I could slit throats again in PVE. I played PVP survival during my prime time and it was empty. There where 3 other people, but they died to NPCs before I could go after them. I still was able to slurp up their stuff. Survival is still good if you want a change of pace with skill/luck rolled in. Even if you have the map memorized you can still get hell hosed by the early gold NPCs walking in the wrong place. Hopefully when they make changes to what gives div tech they add it to survival caches as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

News-focused SotG tomorrow, according to the last stream. Hopefully real news and not just some "we're keeping an eye on ________" bullet points.